The Media Reacts To Suzy Favor Hamilton
*Husband Reacts With Compassion "Yes, I knew. We were essentially separated the past year. We are trying, with help, to see if we can make
it work. Suzy is a good person who went down the wrong path, obviously."
*AP Knocks On Hamilton Door Gets No Answer, Finds Psychologist Who's Not Surprised "She needed to have some way to express some other side of herself that didn't feel as clean or wonderful or upstanding as she appeared to be."
*Seduction Author Not Surprised Either "I believe at least fifty to sixty percent of all single women are Wholesome Pretenders. ... The vast majority of women are taught and brainwashed to behave as 'innocent, wholesome good girls.' For most women, that is not the reality of their inner sexuality."
*Fox Sports.com: Sex scandal not funny, just sad.
*Colin Cowherd (Chris Lear And Rojo's Favorite Sports Radio Guy) Leads ESPN Show With SFH Talk - *Listen As He Says Her Actions Probably Aren't As Rare As You Think
*SFH Lands On Cover Of Daily News
*SFH Banned From All Disney Sporting Events
*runDisney Drops SFH As Event Speaker
*Competitor Group Drops Her As Well
*Bleacher Report: Former Olympian Deserves Privacy To Handle Personal Issues
The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has
been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
Reaction From Across The Globe:
*NY Times: 1,176 Words On SFH: Former Olympian Cites Depression For Taking Job As Escort
*NY Daily News On Hamilton
*RRW: Suzy Favor Hamilton Admits To Double Life As $600 Per Hour Escort (link fixed)
*Hometown Reaction: Wisconsin State Journal: Suzy Favor Hamilton cites depression as reason she led "double life" as high-priced prostitute
*Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton admits she worked as escort
*Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Profile On Hamilton In July Where She Talked About Battling Depression
- Ireland's Euro XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Won't Be Resting This Holiday Season As She's Racing XC Races This Sunday And January 5th And 12th She'll race the Lotto Cross Cup in Brussels on Sunday and then go up agaiunst teams from America and GB at the Great Edinburgh Cross-Country on January 5.
- AW Reviews Seb Coe's Autobiography And Says It's A "Cracking Tale" Full Of Shocking Stories You learn about Coe's dark side, which includes some childhood shoplifting, skipping school to train, and "even the occasional f-words."
- Istanbul Hoping That Their Plan To Build The World's Largest Airport Will Help Them Win 2020 Olympic Bid
- GB's Three-Time Olympic Jav Thrower Goldie Sayers Says She's Not Done Yet After An Elbow Injury Kept Her Out Of London 2012 Setting the UK NR three weeks before London has encouraged her to continue on to Rio 2016.
- John Nuttall Appointed Co-Distance Coach Along With Terrence Mahon As Ian Stewart Prepares To Step Aside To Focus On Working As A Meet Director
Has The Secret Campaign For The Replacement For Jacques Rogge As IOC President Already Begun? Names mentioned are Thomas Bach, Richard Carrion and Ng Ser Miang ... no mention of Seb Coe.
US Collegiate Athletes Of The Year Are Announced
The Bowerman: LSU's Kimberly Duncan And S. Utah's Cam Levins Win The 5k and 10k champ Levins won on the men's side over the 100 and 110H champ, but there was even more intrigue on the women's side. Duncan had an incredible season as
she won two individual NCAA crowns in the 200, was runner-up in the 100 and was on LSU's winning 4 x 100 and runner-up 4 x 400 teams, but one LRC visitor at a minimum is irate that Arizona's Brigetta Barrett didn't win. How do you top being being undefeated for the collegiate season and then winning an Olympic silver?
*MB: So an undefeated collegiate woman who won an Olympic silver medal isn't the NCAA track AOY - a non Olympian is?
The BBC Interviews Alberto Salazar & He Doesn't Hold Back In His Assessment Of Mo Farah's Place In History
- Salazar: Mo Farah Completed Toughest Olympic Double In History "Mo Farah's double gold at London 2012 was the greatest distance running achievement in history, according to his coach Alberto Salazar."
- BBC: Salazar Compares Mo To Other Double Olympic Champs - "He's surpassed them by far."
- Salazar: "I knew Mo and Galen were ready when they wanted to play Fifa Soccer instead of go to their last track workout."
- Listen Here: BBC Interviews US "Super Coaches" Dan Pfaff & Alberto Salazar For 2 Hours LRC has always said John Kellogg and Pfaff are the only two people we know who are geniuses when it comes to track and field. We think Salazar's quotes come from this piece.
Jessica Ennis Getting The Post-BBC Sports Personality Award Show Headlines
- Jessica Ennis' Bum (Americans, That Means Butt) Gets Attention At BBC Awards "Move over pippa @J_Ennis is now Queen of the bottom! #spoty," - tweet.
- Jessica Ennis Reveals How She Learned To Love Her "Butch" Olympic Body
- Ennis Auto-Biography Is Getting Rave Reviews "Rick Broadbent captures that mood brilliantly."
- Did Jessica Ennis Snub Kate Middleton? Some Brits say yes and are irate. Judge for yourself with the video below.
- Column: Brits Born In "Jessica Ennis Generation" Finding Mixed-Race Living Is Better Than Before
- After Finishing 4th In BBC Voting, Mo Farah Hopes To Pick Himself Up By Getting Pele To Do Mobot
- Mo Farah's Wife Gets Acclaim For Looking Stunning Just 4 Months After Giving Birth To Twins
- McDonald's - The Breakfast Of Champions
Bradley Wiggins Celebrates BBC Sports Personality Of Year Award By Having 10 Drinks, Staying Out All Night And Then Going To McDonald's
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Maggie Vessey Tests Positive And Gets A Warning
Maggie Vessey Tests Positive For Diuretic And Accepts Public Warning
The American 800m star was taking a prescription medicine that had a banned substance. She won't have to serve a suspension of any kind.
On The Boards: Maggie Vessey tests positive
Upcoming Action For The Rest Of 2012 And Early 2013
- Today: Kenya's Shoe4Africa Women's 5km: 10,000m Olympian Joyce Chepkirui Will Try To Defend Her Title
- Sunday: IAAF Preview Brussels XC Meet: Recently Crowned Euro XC Champs Ireland's Fionnuala Britton And Italy's Andrea Lalli Will Get A Chance To Back It Up Lalli will be up against World Junior steeplechase silver medalist Gilbert Kirui and sub-27 10,000 man Kenneth Kipkemo. Britton will face top competition in 9:14 steeplchaser Lydiah Chepkurui.
- New Year's Eve: Delilah DiCrescenzo And Ashley Higginson Lead Women's Field For Emerald Nuts Midnight Run Christian Thompson, Liam Boylan-Pett and defending champ Landon Peacock lead men's field.
- January 5th: Quick Preview Of Great Edinburgh Cross-Country Meet: Fionnuala Britton And Spain's Ayad Lamdassem Will Defend Their Titles This meet puts teams from GB, Northern Ireland, Team Europe, and Team USA against each other.
Spikes Magazine: "The Rise Of The Jager Meister" Jager says he got his start in soccer where he "used to run the entire game without needing a sub and I usually did it faster than everyone else too."
Sports Awards And 2012 Reviewed
- Writer Says BBC's Sports Personality Of The Year Award Had A Sour Note As Mo Farah Finished Way Back In 4th With Only 8% Of The Public Vote Without knowing the specific criteria for the award,
it's at least clearone can argue that Farah's double gold was way more impressive then Ennis' single hepathlon gold and she was runner-up for the award.
- Mo Farah Was Only 4th In The UK, But Is #3 On ESPN's Top 10 Sports Personalites Of The Year List
- Jessica Ennis Among Most Googled Female Athletes Of 2012
- The IAAF Starts Its 2012 Year End Review With The Multi Events Ashton Eaton's WR at the Trials followed by Olympic gold was definitely the multi-event highlight of the year.
- Photographers' Favorite Photos From The London Olympics
- RW's Top Trends Of 2012 Include shift to minimalism and races selling out very fast.
- Kirani James To Receive Caribbean Spirit Of Sport Award
- Ryan Gregson's Christmas Blog Says he'll be eating a ton.
Looking To 2013:
- USATF 2013 Running Circuit Will Feature Over $500,000 In Total Prize Money Series features 9 events with the overall men's and womens' series champ taking home $25,000.
- With The 2012 Bowerman Award In The Books, Who Might Win Next Year? Brigetta Barrett and Kimberly Duncan both return as seniors.
Stop Complaining: NYC Marathon Announced Cancellation Policy And You Can Get A Refund Get a refund or pay again for next year and run next year (while paying for this year as well).
On The Boards: NYC Marathon Resolution
*WSJ: NYRR Reach Multi-Million Dollar Settlment With Insurance Company After Cancellation Of NYC Marathon
New Year's: World XC Champ Imane Merga Will Take On Olympic 5,000m Bronze Medalist Thomas Longosiwa In New Year's Eve 10k Race In Bolzano, Italy Scott Bauhs is also in the field as two-time World 5,000m silver medallist Sylvia Kibet headlines women's 5k.
Good Read: Brett Larner Explains "How I Learned To Love The Ekiden And Why You Should Too" "When you put on that soaking wet, stinking piece of cloth and your own sweat mingles with it there is a physical bond formed between your life and theirs, your own years of work becoming part of something bigger, and others are waiting to join you. Giving anything less than your best is not sacrificing your gift, it is sacrificing everybody else's gifts."
- USADA Chief Travis Tygart Says He Received Death Threats And Hate Mail After Releasing Lance Armstrong Doping Report
- Angelina Jolie To Direct "Unbroken," A Film About Former Olympic Distance Runner And WWII POW Louis Zamperini
- Q&A With Former Pro Ed Torres (Twin Of Jorge Torres), Who Was Recently Elected The New Chair Of USATF's LDR Committee He spoke a bit about the new marathon trials standards and defended the move to make them faster.
- USOC To Start Looking At Candidates To Bid For Hosting The 2024 Summer Or The 2026 Winter Olympic Games New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are some likely to bid for 2024, while Denver, Reno-Tahoe and Salt Lake City likely for 2026.
- Larry Probst Re-Elected As USOC Chairman
- Cam Levins On Winning The Bowerman: "To have it happen was just unreal, I'm still in a bit of shock."
- Kimberly Duncan: "When I heard them call my name, I had to take a moment just to make sure I heard them right. It's so surreal."
Sports Science: Viagra Improves Performance In More Ways Than One
Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness Apparently Viagra when combined with high altitude training has the potential to improve athletic performance.
- WSJ Continues Its Campaign To Discourage People From Exercising: Study Says Playing A Round Of Golf Is Just As Beneficial As A 100-Mile Bike Ride For Aiding Longevity We stopped reading after the second paragraph, when we saw the study is based on data taken from Olympian mortality records between 1896 and 1936.
- On The Other Hand ... Study Finds Olympic Medalists Live On Average 2.8 Years Longer Than Average Population This study looked at Olympic athletes between 1896 and 2010.
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
Sad News: Two-Time Foot Locker Finalist Arrested For Murder Eric Kweder, who has popped up in a number of threads over the years, was 9th in 1995 as an 11th grader - one spot ahead of eventual Olympian Jonathan Riley.
Foot Locker Finals *Results *Boys Photo Gallery *Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Boys: Edward Cheserek Repeats After Battle With Sean McGorty McGorty, the South champ, and Jake Leingang, the Midwest champ, didn't make it easy for Cheserek, but there is a reason Cheserek
doesn't lose - he's
the best in the US high school ranks. The four Regional winners went 1-2-3-4. *Results *Milesplit Recap *Edward Cheserek Interview
Girls: Anna Rohrer Overcomes Fall To Win Rohrer pulled away for the win after falling after the start. Her Midwest teammates dominated the race with 6 in the top 10. Catarina Rocha of the Northeast was the runner-up, with both runner-ups having a least one Foot Locker finalist parent. *Results *Steve U's Recap *Anna Rohrer Interview
*OTB: Sarah Baxter 2016 Olympics? *wow footlocker, get your cameras fixed. learn how to cover a national race *Has Foot Locker gone too far?
Kenenisa Bekele Finishes His Track
Kenenisa Bekele Builds His Own Track/Runner's Paradise In Ethiopia And Hotel For Athletes Wishing To Use It It is in an area with 20 miles of forest trails in the mountains as well as flat woods right behind the hotel. He says he spent $1.5 million on the track, which currently has 6 lanes, but he plans on adding 2 more and adding seating so they can host elite track meets.
Lolo Jones Has Survived Her First Bobsled Crash And she even jokes about it: "God is real. I saw him today and he said come back later."
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
The Week That Was In Running: December 10 - December 16, 2012
LRC Jenny Simpson's About Face, Sally Jenkins' Embarrassing Defense Of Lance, Fast Rugby Players, A Mea Culpa And More Not a lot happened last week on the track but there is A TON to talk about. We break down world champion Jenny Simpson's about face and return to Mark Wetmore by comparing her positively to Charles Barkely and Dan Marino, but remind people that a return home didn't resurrect the career of Jeremy Wariner. We absolutely rip Sally Jenkins for defending Lance Armstrong and for using the "rape card" to support her argument as we compare Lance to Bernie Madoff. Along the way, we tell you why legalized PED use = the end of women's sports and introduce you to the fastest rugby player in the world. Plus we fess up to a rare, rare mistake.
- AK Hoping Doping Tests Conducted 2 Weeks Ago On "32 Top" Kenyans By IAAF Will End Suspicions Really, passing one out of season test which the athletes "made themselves available for" won't prove anything.
- AP Says Despite The Sport's "Near-Zero" Positive Test Rate, There is Rampant Steroid Use Among College Football Teams "Based on dozens of interviews with players, testers, dealers and experts and an analysis of weight records for more than 61,000 players -- revealed that while those running the multibillion-dollar sport believe the problem is under control, that is hardly the case."
- Two London Olympic Athletes Receive Bans For Doping After They Tested Positive Just Before The Games Syrian 400m hurdler Ghfran Almouhamad got a pathetic 6-month ban as Turkish long jumper Karin Mey Melis received 2 years.
- Italian Olympic Committee Requests 4-Year Doping Ban For Former Olympic Racewalk Champion Alex Schwazer After He Tested Positive For EPO Good for them; we're tired of countries trying to get their athletes off with lesser 2-year or even 1-year bans.
TodaysMiles.com Launches On LetsRun.com
Today's Miles Launches The running world has got 3.1*, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers. Todaymiles.com takes that concept to running apparel. Want to celebrate that 26.2 you did? Do it. Want to run 20 minutes and wear a 20 mile shirt? You can do that, too. More info here.
It's The Time Of Year To Be Thankful
Toby Tanser Is Amazing: Shoe4Africa To Build A Multi-Million Shilling Public Children Hospital In Eldoret The charity will break ground on the hospital on New Year's eve. The hospital wil be only the 2nd children's hospital in all of sub-Sahara Africa. Natalie Portman and Cristiano Ronaldo have donated - have you? *Donate Here
*2:18 Marathoner Mike Cassidy Helped Raise $6,500
*Tanser Blogs About A Day In His Hectic Life
Wetmore-Simpson Round II
LRC Jenny Simpson Coaching Switch Update Former CU Buff Stephen Kasica has some details on Simpson training in Boulder last week. Plus there is a cool multimedia timeline on Simpson's career and some perspective. Simpson won Worlds under Juli Benson, yet never ran within 3.5 seconds of her 1,500m PR. Fascinating.