The Smoking Gun.com: Suzy Favor Hamilton Has Been Working As $600/Hour Escort For Last Year SFH, the 3-time Olympian, has been one of the hottest commodities in the escort business over the last year as she jumped up to a #3 ranking and got rave reviews for her runner's body and for providing
the "full GFE (girlfriend experience)." One client raved, "I would do anything to protect her. ... She is worth every penny. I will go bankrupt before I stop seeing her. I hope no one else goes to see her, because I want her all to myself. ... I never thought I would find anyone in this hobby like her."
*Suzy Favor Hamilton Issues A Statement
*MB: Suzy Favor-Hamilton: Vegas Escort
Reaction From Across The Globe:
*NY Times: 1,176 Words On SFH: Former Olympian Cites Depression For Taking Job As Escort
*NY Daily News On Hamilton
*RRW: Suzy Favor Hamilton Admits To Double Life As $600 Per Hour Escort (link fixed)
*Hometown Reaction: Wisconsin State Journal: Suzy Favor Hamilton cites depression as reason she led "double life" as high-priced prostitute
*Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton admits she worked as escort
*Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Profile On Hamilton In July Where She Talked About Battling Depression
- Ireland's Euro XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Won't Be Resting This Holiday Season As She's Racing XC Races This Sunday And January 5th And 12th She'll race the Lotto Cross Cup in Brussels on Sunday and then go up agaiunst teams from America and GB at the Great Edinburgh Cross-Country on January 5.
- AW Reviews Seb Coe's Autobiography And Says It's A "Cracking Tale" Full Of Shocking Stories You learn about Coe's dark side, which includes some childhood shoplifting, skipping school to train, and "even the occasional f-words."
- Istanbul Hoping That Their Plan To Build The World's Largest Airport Will Help Them Win 2020 Olympic Bid
- GB's Three-Time Olympic Jav Thrower Goldie Sayers Says She's Not Done Yet After An Elbow Injury Kept Her Out Of London 2012 Setting the UK NR three weeks before London has encouraged her to continue on to Rio 2016.
- John Nuttall Appointed Co-Distance Coach Along With Terrence Mahon As Ian Stewart Prepares To Step Aside To Focus On Working As A Meet Director
Has The Secret Campaign For The Replacement For Jacques Rogge As IOC President Already Begun? Names mentioned are Thomas Bach, Richard Carrion and Ng Ser Miang ... no mention of Seb Coe.
US Collegiate Athletes Of The Year Are Announced
The Bowerman: LSU's Kimberly Duncan And S. Utah's Cam Levins Win The 5k and 10k champ Levins won on the men's side over the 100 and 110H champ, but there was even more intrigue on the women's side. Duncan had an incredible season as
she won two individual NCAA crowns in the 200, was runner-up in the 100 and was on LSU's winning 4 x 100 and runner-up 4 x 400 teams, but one LRC visitor at a minimum is irate that Arizona's Brigetta Barrett didn't win. How do you top being being undefeated for the collegiate season and then winning an Olympic silver?
*MB: So an undefeated collegiate woman who won an Olympic silver medal isn't the NCAA track AOY - a non Olympian is?
The BBC Interviews Alberto Salazar & He Doesn't Hold Back In His Assessment Of Mo Farah's Place In History
- Salazar: Mo Farah Completed Toughest Olympic Double In History "Mo Farah's double gold at London 2012 was the greatest distance running achievement in history, according to his coach Alberto Salazar."
- BBC: Salazar Compares Mo To Other Double Olympic Champs - "He's surpassed them by far."
- Salazar: "I knew Mo and Galen were ready when they wanted to play Fifa Soccer instead of go to their last track workout."
- Listen Here: BBC Interviews US "Super Coaches" Dan Pfaff & Alberto Salazar For 2 Hours LRC has always said John Kellogg and Pfaff are the only two people we know who are geniuses when it comes to track and field. We think Salazar's quotes come from this piece.
- Recommended Click/Listen: Highlights Of Ato Boldon's House Of Run Podcast - Boldon Thinks Bolt Would Have Easier Time In 400 Than In 100 And Would Consistently Run 43s In 400 Listening to Boldon talk about sprinting is almost like listening to Einstein talk about physics. And now you can pick what you want to listen to as they have excerpted out his comments on various topics.
- A Good Interview: After Missing Out On Olympics, Delilah D. Says: "I'm closing the door on the steeple but I'm not locking it." She's trying to explore longer distances and have fun with running before deciding if she wants to put off having a family for another 4 years.
- High Mileage People, Don't Read This: Canada's 1:47 11th Grader Runs 3 Times A Week And A Max Of 15 MPW And Tyler Smith will stay in Canada for college.
Jessica Ennis Getting The Post-BBC Sports Personality Award Show Headlines
- Jessica Ennis' Bum (Americans, That Means Butt) Gets Attention At BBC Awards "Move over pippa @J_Ennis is now Queen of the bottom! #spoty," - tweet.
- Jessica Ennis Reveals How She Learned To Love Her "Butch" Olympic Body
- Ennis Auto-Biography Is Getting Rave Reviews "Rick Broadbent captures that mood brilliantly."
- Did Jessica Ennis Snub Kate Middleton? Some Brits say yes and are irate. Judge for yourself with the video below.
- Column: Brits Born In "Jessica Ennis Generation" Finding Mixed-Race Living Is Better Than Before
- After Finishing 4th In BBC Voting, Mo Farah Hopes To Pick Himself Up By Getting Pele To Do Mobot
- Mo Farah's Wife Gets Acclaim For Looking Stunning Just 4 Months After Giving Birth To Twins
- McDonald's - The Breakfast Of Champions
Bradley Wiggins Celebrates BBC Sports Personality Of Year Award By Having 10 Drinks, Staying Out All Night And Then Going To McDonald's
More UK News:
- Former Decathlete Dean Macey Wins Rave Critical Reviews As Television Commentator In Britain The man who was twice 4th at the Olympics was on "Survival of the Fittest."
- Now What? 19-Year-Old Paralympic 100m Champ Jonnie Peacock Wondering How He Tops Winning Gold In Front of 80,000 + Adoring Fans How does one deal with "the Olympic depression?"
Kenyans Making News
- Mercy Cherono And 12:51/26:51 Man Vincent Chepkok Win Spanish XC Race
- 2:15 & 2:30 Nab Two Kenyans $41,300 At Taipei Marathon
- Looks Like The US Govt. Isn't The Only One To Have Over-Extended Itself: Double World Champion Vivian Cheruiyot Still Hasn't Been Paid By Govt. For Exploits In Daegu She's owed $7,000+.
- 20-Year-Old 13:18 Man Philemon Yator Wins 10km In Kenya As He Gets Ready For World XC
- Limo Edges Out Rivals At Mombasa IEBC Race
Amazing: Two Weeks After Running 2:10:29 At Fukuoka, Yuki Kawauchi Wins Hofu Marathon In 2:10:46 This was a WR for the shortest-ever time between sub-2:11 performances. The 63-year-old age record also went down as Yoshihisa Hosaka ran 2:46:30. Watch out, Ed Whitlock.
*World XC Bronze Medalist Vincent Chepkok And Mercy Cherono Take The Wins At Spanish Venta de Banos XC Meet Sub-27 10k runner Kenneth Kipkemoi was 2nd.
*Former Amsterdam Marathon Champ Magdalene Chemjor Wins Kisumu International Marathon In 2:31:12 Daniel Kipkorir Kilimo won the men's race in 2:14:48 as last year's champ, Joseph Biwot, finished outside the top 10.
*IAAF Recap: Universal Entertainment Wins Japan Corporate Women's Ekiden
*Jackson Limo Wins Independent Electoral And Boundaries Commission 10k In 29:09 This is the race you had to be registered to vote in order to compete.
Track Starts Soon
- After A 4th Place Finish At Euro XC Champs, Tom Farrell Heads To Australia For Some Training And Hopes Of Breaking His 13:15 5k PR All this after he was almost not picked for the Euro Cross team after missing the Trials race due to OSU exams.
- Oscar Pistorius Will Get His Season Going March 9th In Australia
- MileSplit Recap Weekend HS Indoor Result
- Aussie Distance Runner Benita Wills Makes Her Case In Support Of Going To Altitude Ahead Of The Upcoming Track Season She focuses more on the training atmosphere rather than the physiological benefits.
- Russia's HJ Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Opening His Indoor Campaign In The Czech Republic Next Month
Well, Not For These Two:
- France's European 100m Record Holder Christine Arron Is Retiring As She's Pregnant With Her Second Child Her record of 10.73 ranks 5th all-time.
- Olympic 1,500m 8th Placer Lucia Klocova Named Slovak Athlete Of The Year, But Has Said She Will Be Taking The Next Year Off For Her Pregnancy
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Reintroduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Heald's Incredible 1972 Race
More On Heald:
*2002 LA Times Feature
*1972 Sports Illustrated
*1967 Faces In The Crowd At Age 11
From The MB:
*16-year-old Debbie Heald takes down the Russians, sets AR in 1972
*No Wikipedia entry for Debbie Heald ...
*1972 USA vs. USSR: 16-year-old wins the women's mile in a national record. (still standing)
*1972 Video Of Debbie Heald
Did You Know? Sunday's Marathon In Kenya Costs $3.32 To Enter & Features $2,322 1st Prize The 1st prize is 699 times the entry fee so it would be like the New York City marathon paying out $178,346 for 1st place ($255 fee), which is about right, as the winner of NY likely gets more than that if you factor in an appearance fee.
Not Very Good At Running? Maybe There Is Hope
NCAA Champ Kennedy Kithuka Says He Sucked As A Jr. In HS "When I was a junior in high school, running was not fun. It was hard for me. I was slow."
Of Course It Helps If You Run 8:47 In HS The IAAF Looks At Evan Jager's Meteoric Rise In The Steeple
Former Stanford Runners In The News
- USATF Catches Up With 2012 US Club XC Champ Jake Riley He led Hansons-Brooks to the team title in a race he was confident he would win (as he should have been as there weren't too many 13:32/28:08 guys in the field).
- RW Q&A With USATF Club XC Champ And Hansons Runner Jake Riley
- Chris Derrick Talks About His Decision To Join Jerry Schumacher (14 Min. Video) He lives in a super-fast house with Elliot Heath, Evan Jager and German Fernandez.
- More Hansons-Brooks News Neely Spence's Last Mile In Australia Was Sub-5:00
More Charity News
*"Bolt Gold" Nissan GT-R Sells For $187,100 At Charity Auction The price was twice what was expected and goes to the Usain Bolt Foundation. Besides the color, it includes his signature on the dash.
Oscar P Versus The Horse
International: Abel Kirui Wants A Three-Peat At World Champs
- Abel Kirui Says He'll Run London In April And Then Focus On Defending His World Championship Title "The World marathon title is important and I must defend it. I will shelve any other plans to focus on this one ... Rio in 2016 is still a possibility and I can not shut out myself saying I will not be able to make it then. But this is Kenya and four years in marathon running is a long time."
- Laureus: Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, Jessica Ennis, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Among Track Athletes Nominated For Laureus World Sports Award Non-track athletes include Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin, Lindsey Vonn and Serena Williams. *Full Nomination Lists
- Tirunesh Dibaba And Felix Sanchez Up For Laureus World Comeback Of The Year
- IAAF Profile On 2010 World Junior Heptathlon Champ Dafne Schippers, Who Finished 12th In The London Games She started doing all the events when she was only 9 years old.
- Valerie Adams Among Top Names Searched By New Zealanders On Google She was 6th on the overall people list (Usain Bolt was #4) and first on the list of New Zealanders (Nick Willis was 6th).
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Foot Locker Finals *Results *Boys Photo Gallery *Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Boys: Edward Cheserek Repeats After Battle With Sean McGorty McGorty, the South champ, and Jake Leingang, the Midwest champ, didn't make it easy for Cheserek, but there is a reason Cheserek
doesn't lose - he's
the best in the US high school ranks. The four Regional winners went 1-2-3-4. *Results *Milesplit Recap *Edward Cheserek Interview
Girls: Anna Rohrer Overcomes Fall To Win Rohrer pulled away for the win after falling after the start. Her Midwest teammates dominated the race with 6 in the top 10. Catarina Rocha of the Northeast was the runner-up, with both runner-ups having a least one Foot Locker finalist parent. *Results *Steve U's Recap *Anna Rohrer Interview
*OTB: Sarah Baxter 2016 Olympics? *wow footlocker, get your cameras fixed. learn how to cover a national race *Has Foot Locker gone too far?
UK News: Paula Hasn't Given Up Yet
RR: Paula Radcliffe: "I'm kind of at that crossroads coming off a big surgery and I desperately don't want my career to be finished." The plan is to be back running by Christmas and then start racing next year with a 10k or half in the spring and a marathon in the fall.
*UKA Chairman Ed Warner Says Retractable Seating Is Key To The Success Of The Olympic Stadium And Says They Should Have Been Installed From The Start He said retractable seating "allows us to use the stadium for all the athletics we need each summer, big rock concerts, and for a full football season" and be used 52 weeks a year.
*Jessica Ennis Talks About How She Hated Weight Training When She Was Younger Because She Didn't Want To Get Bigger
Ryan Hall To Be Coached By Renato Canova America's 2:04:58 man, who just turned 30 in Oct., blogged today that he'll
be coached by famed coach Renato Canova - the famed LRC poster who in the past has coached/advised many Kenyan stars. We wonder if the relationship will be a traditional coaching one or more of an advisor role.
*Canova: Hall is "such a great talent."
*MB Discussion On Ryan Hall's Decision
More On Canova From The MB:
MB: Part 1 Of Canova Profile *Part 2
*Summary Of Renato Canova Principles
Kenenisa Bekele Finishes His Track
Kenenisa Bekele Builds His Own Track/Runner's Paradise In Ethiopia And Hotel For Athletes Wishing To Use It It is in an area with 20 miles of forest trails in the mountains as well as flat woods right behind the hotel. He says he spent $1.5 million on the track, which currently has 6 lanes, but he plans on adding 2 more and adding seating so they can host elite track meets.
Lolo Jones Has Survived Her First Bobsled Crash And she even jokes about it: "God is real. I saw him today and he said come back later."
In Case You Were Gone Over The Weekend: IAAF Gala Awarding Athlete Of Year And Celebrating 100 Years Of IAAF
Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix: 2012 IAAF Athletes Of The Year Bolt won out over Aries Merritt and David Rudisha and of course Mo Farah (who was not a finalist, which means he didn't finish in the top 3). Jessica Ennis and Valerie Adams were the other women's finalists. LRC cast its ballot for Rudisha and Felix. The IAAF should release the vote tallies.
- Rudisha Says He Thought He Could Have Run 1:40.50 This Year
- No Long Jump, 400m For Bolt In 2013
- Tirunesh Dibaba Says She No Longer Thinks of Breaking 10k World Record
- Aries Merritt Has Changed His Pin Codes Hoping To Go Sub-12.80
- World Champs Stadium Seating In Moscow Will Be Diminished From 80,000 To 50,000
Thanksgiving Day Action
And To Think, Unlike Lance, He's Actually Clean
Unbelievable 4 Months After Nearly Dying In Bike Crash, Lukas V Runs 5:25 Pace For 2.5 Miles The phenom who went sub-4 in HS is truly thankful to be second in his age group. *MB Thread On Lukas V's Comeback
Chiba Ekiden: Galen Rupp Wins His Leg With 28:20 10k Split (28:46 Was 2nd) As Kenya Edges Japan The most impressive running by a male may have come from New Zealand's Zane Robertson, who ran 13:29 on leg #1. His twin Jake also won his leg. *MB: On Chiba Ekiden
Recommended Read: Update On Twin NZ Runners Jake And Zane Robertson, Who Moved To Kenya On Their Own At 17 Years Old To Pursue Their Running Dreams Zane: "Without Jake I wouldn't have survived. I would have given up. Having each other, when the other one was sick or down, you raise him up. In the concrete cell that kept us going. ... I'm so thankful we went through those hardships for one or two years, because going through them, the way Kenyans do, if you survive you can go through anything."
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
Stop Complaining: NYC Marathon Announced Cancellation Policy And You Can Get A Refund Get a refund or pay again for next year and run next year (while paying for this year as well).
On The Boards: NYC Marathon Resolution
*WSJ: NYRR Reach Multi-Million Dollar Settlment With Insurance Company After Cancellation Of NYC Marathon
New Year's: World XC Champ Imane Merga Will Take On Olympic 5,000m Bronze Medalist Thomas Longosiwa In New Year's Eve 10k Race In Bolzano, Italy Scott Bauhs is also in the field as two-time World 5,000m silver medallist Sylvia Kibet headlines women's 5k.
Good Read: Brett Larner Explains "How I Learned To Love The Ekiden And Why You Should Too" "When you put on that soaking wet, stinking piece of cloth and your own sweat mingles with it there is a physical bond formed between your life and theirs, your own years of work becoming part of something bigger, and others are waiting to join you. Giving anything less than your best is not sacrificing your gift, it is sacrificing everybody else's gifts."
The Week That Was In Running: December 10 - December 16, 2012
LRC Jenny Simpson's About Face, Sally Jenkins' Embarrassing Defense Of Lance, Fast Rugby Players, A Mea Culpa And More Not a lot happened last week on the track but there is A TON to talk about. We break down world champion Jenny Simpson's about face and return to Mark Wetmore by comparing her positively to Charles Barkely and Dan Marino, but remind people that a return home didn't resurrect the career of Jeremy Wariner. We absolutely rip Sally Jenkins for defending Lance Armstrong and for using the "rape card" to support her argument as we compare Lance to Bernie Madoff. Along the way, we tell you why legalized PED use = the end of women's sports and introduce you to the fastest rugby player in the world. Plus we fess up to a rare, rare mistake.
- USADA Chief Travis Tygart Says He Received Death Threats And Hate Mail After Releasing Lance Armstrong Doping Report
- Angelina Jolie To Direct "Unbroken," A Film About Former Olympic Distance Runner And WWII POW Louis Zamperini
- Q&A With Former Pro Ed Torres (Twin Of Jorge Torres), Who Was Recently Elected The New Chair Of USATF's LDR Committee He spoke a bit about the new marathon trials standards and defended the move to make them faster.
- USOC To Start Looking At Candidates To Bid For Hosting The 2024 Summer Or The 2026 Winter Olympic Games New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are some likely to bid for 2024, while Denver, Reno-Tahoe and Salt Lake City likely for 2026.
- Larry Probst Re-Elected As USOC Chairman
- Cam Levins On Winning The Bowerman: "To have it happen was just unreal, I'm still in a bit of shock."
- Kimberly Duncan: "When I heard them call my name, I had to take a moment just to make sure I heard them right. It's so surreal."
The #1 Goal In Running - Stay Healthy ... #2 - Run More
- For Employee 1.1: Two Studies Back Benefits Of Ice Baths Earlier in the year, a different study said ice baths might not help.
- Do You Take Ibuprofen Every Day So You Can Run? The NYTimes Says That Might Not Be A Good Idea "Ibuprofen consumption by athletes is not harmless and should be strongly discouraged."
- Neely Spence Q&A Reveals Hansons Have Her Up To 83 MPW From 60 To 70 In College She's also wearing her Brooks shoes to her wedding.
Mo Farah Named #3 Sports Personality Of Year By ESPN.co.uk
*Jessica Ennis #5
*BBC Winner Bradley Wiggins Is Interestingly #4 Who will be #1? Andy Murray, perhaps Seb Coe or the British people themselves?
*Jessica Ennis Upgrades From $535,000 To $1,600,000 House
*Ennis: "My life is 'a lot different' now."
*Defending Champs Fionnuala Britton And Ayad Lamdassem Will Defend Their Titles in The Britain, Europe, Team USA Battle At Bupa Great Edinburgh XC
*2017 Paralympic Worlds To Be In London Where else does the Paralympics draw a large crowd - let alone sellouts? The Paralympics drew sold-out crowds of 80,000 for every session and attracted more than a billion cumulated television viewers worldwide.
Wednesday Was Limited In Terms Of News
- Tokyo's 2020 Olympic Bid Venue Plan Is Accepted By All Sports Federation
- Usain Bolt's Music Playlist Is Revealed Chronixx and I-Octane have the two double-plays.
- Running USA's Top 12 US Distance Moments For 2012 We hate to admit it but we've aren't sure we even knew what 4 of them were.
- Q&A With Former Minnesota Runner Stephanie Price The 16:31 performer will run for Team USA in Scotland in XC in 2013.
- Race In Kenya This Weekend Around Island In Middle Of Lake Victoria
- Australia's Gold Coast Reveals Plans For 2018 Commonwealth Games
- Seb Coe Has High Hopes For Andrew Osagie - "I really hope that Andrew Osagie believes he can beat David Rudisha."
- Govt. Increase Athletics' Funding In Uk From £25.15m To £26.8m Swimming was the big loser as they lost £4.0m down to £21.4m over 4 years. Equestrian was the big winner with a huge increase of more than £4.5m. All we can say is imagine the outrage in America if the US govt. spent $29.9 million on equestrian.
- UK Sport To Spend $563 Million Over 4 Years To Help Britain Try To Become 1st Country To Bag More Medals At Next Olympics After Being The Host
Biological Passport Wins Again: Former World Youth Racewalking Champion Sergey Morozov Has Been Given A Life Ban For Breaking Anti-Doping Regulations Why is it the that most obscure parts of track and field have the most people busted for drugs?
Looking Ahead To Upcoming Action
- Tonight: Bored? The Bowerman Will Be Broadcast Live At 6:30 PM ET Tonight The NCAA collegiate track Athlete of Year will either be Cam Levins (Southern Utah), Tony McQuay (Florida) and Andrew Riley (Illinois) for the men and Brigetta Barrett (Arizona), Kimberlyn Duncan (LSU) and Brianne Theisen (Oregon) for the women.
- This Weekend: 1st-Ever Masai Olympics Is Being Offered As Environmentally-Friendly Alternative To Killing Lions As A Way To "compete for recognition, identify leaders and attract girlfriends." The events are as follows: 200m sprint, 5,000m run, spear throwing, rungu throwing, and high jump. The winner will weirdly be sent to the 1013 ING NYC Marathon.
- This Weekend: World Junior XC And 1,500 Champion Faith Chepng'etich And Africa Titla Holder Clement Langat Highlight The Elite Field In Sat.'s Kenya XC Race
- Something To Look Forward To On Jan. 27th. 2013 Osaka Intl. Women's Marathon Will Be A Battle Between Japan's All-Time Greats 2004 Olympic champ and NR holder (2:19:12) Mizuki Noguchi will battle Japan's former NR holder Yoko Shibui (2:19:41), and its current #1 in Kayoko Fukushi. Noguchi says she's "back to settle a score with myself." "I've been doing some good 30 and 40 km runs in training, and except for catching a cold I'm in the best shape possible."
Q&A With 2012 US Road Mile Champ Heather Kampf, Who Fell & Got Up & Did Great Yet Again The woman who famously fell in college but won fell again at club XC and got up and her Team USA Minnesota team won the title as a result.
The Next Usain Bolt Is White?
Aussies Are Wondering If 12-Year-Old Prodigy Is The Next Usain Bolt Judge for yourself below, but based on the color of his skin, we'd say no. He has run 11.72.
Usain Bolt News
*German Mag Estimates Usain Bolt Made 22.3 Million This Year
*Usain Bolt Wants To Go Sub-19 "I want to be the first man under 19 at the 200 m so that people wille remember it. This is not a joke."
Post-Irish XC Victory News
- Irish Writer Is Pumped And Says Fionna Britton's Double Gold Shows You Don't Have To Go Abroad To Be Good Anymore "There is a genuine alternative for young athletes now where the option of staying at home was a virtual non-runner when the likes of Eamonn Coghlan and Sonia O'Sullivan were in their prime." dispelling the myth that you had to go abroad if you were serious about fulfilling your potential.
- Euro XC Glories Were Bittersweet For Former Irish Coach Anne Keenan-Buckley
Sports Bureaucrats Making News
- FIFA VP Bin Hammam Figure Pulls A Lance Armstrong - Says He Won't Fight Corruption Charges "I do not want to spend any more of my life fighting trumped up allegations and to focus instead on my family and businesses,"
- The Spanish Athletics Federation Has Re-Elected Jose Maria Odriozola As Its President For A Seventh Consecutive Term
Lukas V Update: Video Interview With Lukas Verzbicas On The Difference Between Running And The Triathlon And Where He's At Now He talks about what he misses about track and how he thinks Andrew Wheating would do a good tri.
- 7 Schools Leaving The Big East To Start Their Own Conference Focused On Basketball The schools are Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall and Providence.
Random But Interesting
Ask Asafa: Asafa Powell Now Has His Own Advice Column In A Magazine Called "All Woman" He will answer questions on style, fitness and relationships. His first column: "10 Worst Christmas Gifts for Men."
Video Of 12-Year-Old Who Can Run The 100m In 11.72 Seconds The kid is 12 and has already heard from multiple talent scouts, including The Michael Johnson Spire Athletics Institute and teams from Australia's rugby league.
Trinidad & Tobago Olympic Javelin Gold Medalist Keshorn Walcott Gets A 39,100 Dollar House As A Gift From The Government The lesson here is ... Win your country's first Olympic gold medal in 36 years and you're set for life.
Interview With Former SP WR Holder And Olympic Bronze Medalist Jüri Tamm, Who Is Leading The Ukranian Olympic Committee's Bid For 2022 Winter Games He talks about gaining inspiration from his father, who pole vaulted 3m with only one arm.
After The Irish Team Won Euro XC Champs, Former Team Manager Anne Keenan-Buckley Says She Still Thinks They Could Be Doing Better She hinted that she might be willing to come back if some things changed.
Irish Olympic Sprinter Says Lack Of Facilities Doesn't Hurt Irish Athletes, People And Coaches Are More Important Paul Hession: "Facilities are nothing to do with it. I think that's overplayed in the Irish media."
2012 World's Fastest 1,500 Runner - The 3:56 Abeba Aregawi - Is Now Competing For Sweden And Is Eyeing European Indoor Gold She has lived there since 2009 and is married to a Swede but some would says was bullied into running for Ethiopia at the Olympics. We're not sure how she doesn't have to sit out. Under normal situations, rules for, say, Worlds would require a 3-year sit-out (see page 25).
RTribe Says LRC Is Wrong And Kiprotich Should Be World #1 LRC wrong? Never.
- BALCO Figure Tammy Thomas Released From Probation Early So She Can Possibly Get Her Law License We try to not laugh, but a person convicted of perjury was inspired
by her trial to get a law license? And looking at that picture of the former cyclist on the right (click on it to see it larger), to think she even tried to lie about being on steroids!
*Nice Long Article On Thomas Here She shrieked at the prosecutors when they convicted her, but she does sound changed now.
- 2004 Olympic And 2005 World Hammer Champ Olga Kuzenkova Fails
2004 Olympic2005 World Championships Drug Re-Test *2nd Article
- Maybe Racewalking Is A Sport: European Under-23 Women's 20km Racewalk Champ Banned For 2 Years For Blood Doping
- Christian Hesch Accepts 2-Year EPO Ban
- Comrades Winner Ludwick Mamabolo To Find Out In January If He'll Be Banned His lawyers have pointed out 10 irregularities in the testing process, including the fact he was left unattended for 10 minutes, which they may not realize is in place so people don't cheat the test. *Lawyers: "Botched System" Means He Should Go Free
Update: 9.88 Man Michael Frater Has Left MVP Club But Hasn't Joined Usain Bolt's Club He's focused on knee surgery rehab and will find a training group later.
For 4th Straight Year,
Nut-Job Man Breaks Record For Most Marathons In A Year 67-year-old Larry Macon has run at least 139 marathons this year after doing 113 last year. Pretty inspiring and crazy all at the same time.
Britain Gets Ready To Name Its BBC Sports Personality Of The Year
- Bookies Say Bradley Wiggins Is Favorite For BBC Sports Personality Of The Year - Track Fans Prefer Farah (49%) Over Ennis (39%) And to think, Paul Kimmage isn't sure if Bradley Wiggins is clean. Of course, not everyone is sure the track athletes are clean either.
- Twelve Guardian Writers Makes Their Cases For 12 Different Candidates For BBC Award On Sunday People are trying to make this more dramatic than it really is. Farah or Ennis or that cyclist will win. Mark our words.
- Jessica Ennis: "Girls cry when they see me, like I was in a boyband." "I felt like I was [in] a boyband. I said: 'Why are you crying?' And they couldn't even talk. Then I felt like I was going to cry. I was like: 'Oh, you're not sad, are you?'"
- Irish News: Athletics Ireland's Post-Olympic Review Is Delayed Until January As They Are Talking To Every Coach & Athlete
Don't Let Racial Stereotypes Hold You Back: Jamaican Breaststroker Wins Country's 1st-Ever Medal At The FINA World Swimming Short Course Championships
Athletics Illustrated: Ryan Hall And Renato Canova Talk About Their New Coaching Partnership Canova: "I didn't speak about his career, that I knew very well, neither about his previous training. I was not interested in these particulars. I wanted to know something more about his motivation, his life, his relation with the faith, his objectives, his current physical conditions (not really good)."
Sammy W. Didn't Wait: Alberto Salazar Says Galen Rupp Won't Run A Marathon Until After 2016 Olympics Salazar: "You move up when you feel you've sort of plateaued at the lower distance and only when you feel you're not a medalist at the shorter distance." All we can say is - Sammy Wanjiru certainly didn't wait.
- Spikes Magazine Interviews Morgan Uceny From Her New Training Base In Loughborough, England She says that coach Terrence Mahon said she did nothing wrong in London, she thinks men are better at running tactically then women, and ends by saying, "I just need to get on the podium. I've had my goals for several years and I just need to make it happen."
Sports Science: Viagra Improves Performance In More Ways Than One
Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness Apparently Viagra when combined with high altitude training has the potential to improve athletic performance.
- WSJ Continues Its Campaign To Discourage People From Exercising: Study Says Playing A Round Of Golf Is Just As Beneficial As A 100-Mile Bike Ride For Aiding Longevity We stopped reading after the second paragraph, when we saw the study is based on data taken from Olympian mortality records between 1896 and 1936.
- On The Other Hand ... Study Finds Olympic Medalists Live On Average 2.8 Years Longer Than Average Population This study looked at Olympic athletes between 1896 and 2010.
2013 Dubai Marathon Is Set For Record Registration, Including One From Moses Mosop The 2:03:06 man hasn't been seen since "disappointing" with a 2:05:03 in Rotterdam in April.
Weekend Action *Full USATF Club XC Results *Zatopek Results *Euro XC Results
Honolulu Marathon: Wilson Kipsang Solidifies World #1 Ranking With Negative Split Win 2:04:54 man Markos Geneti was 37 seconds back in second. 2008 Olympic
decathlon champ Bryan Clay ran 4:46:31.
Women: Russia's Valentina Galimova Comes From Behind To Win In 2:31:23 American Stephanie Rothstein Bruce was third in 2:32:47.
*Bryan Clay Ran The Honolulu Marathon With His Wife Only 8 Weeks After Having Surgery For Five Hernias Clay: "It was a beast. The decathlon is a completely different animal."
On The Boards: Is Wilson Kipsang the #1 Marathoner in the world in 2012 regardless of what happens in Honolulu? *Honolulu Live Talk
USATF Club Nationals: Hansons-Brooks Distance Project's Jacob Riley And Boulder Running Company's Mattie Suver Win Club XC Titles Hansons-Brooks men and Team USA Minnesota women won the team titles. On the men's side, brothers Craig and Matthew Forys were second and fourth. US mile record holder Alan Webb was 7th.
*Team USA Minnesota Press Release
*USATF Club XC Recap
*More Results/Discussion In This Thread
Zatopek 10k: Neely Spence Runs 32:16 In 10,000 Debut As Ben St. Lawrence Tries To Run With Emmanuel Bett But Bett Wins By 36+ Seconds Difficult conditions made the times slow (27:59 for the men's win). *2012 Zatopek Results *IAAF Recap *Photos *Discuss
European XC Champs: Fionnuala Britton Defends Her Title While Leading Irish Women To First-Ever Team Victory; Italy's Andrea Lalli Wins Men's Race Men: Spain wins team title as OSU's Tom Farrell was 4th, Ukraine's 9-time champ Sergey Lebid 15th, and Belgium's defending champ Atewlaw Bekele back in 57th (for the best, since he's likely to be suspended after missing 3 drug tests). Women, Portugal's Dulce Felix was 2nd as Ireland won the team race by one point over France. *Full Results
Other Weekend Results: Jesse Squire At T&F Superfan Reviews Weekend College Marks North Carolina State's Ryan Hill led weekend performances, winning the 5,000 at Indiana's Hoosier Open in 13:43.52 over IU's Zachary Mayhew (13:51.79).
*World Half Marathon bronze Medallist John Mwangangi And Pauline Njeru Win 15Km race honours during Safaricom Imenti South Road Race 15k Patrick Makau was present and said he was preparing for London 2013, but decided to offer himself for team selection to the Kenyan Moscow 2013 team instead.
*Lawi Lalang Opens Indoor Season With A 3-Race Workout He won the 1,000m (2:30.16), 600m (1:22.18) and 3,000m (8:51.09).
*USATF: Junior Olympic Cross-Country Champions Crowned In Albuquerque
Recommended Read: Emil Zatopek - An Incredible Runner (4 Olympic Golds), But An Even Better Man You may know about his legendary workouts like 60 x 400 in army boots but may not know he was a very kind man.
3:37.23 Man Ben Blankenship Is On Comeback
Now As Part Of OTC Has a 3:37/3:54 collegiate miler ever gotten less pub than this guy? He was the 3k
runner-up to Heath in 2011.
Despite Gold & WR, David Rudisha Still Dreaming Big On & Off Track He wants another Olympic title in 4 years and hopes the youth are used to promote peace in Kenya, instead of being used as props by politicians. "One would say I have it all ... a World title, Olympic title and the world record but I always have something to motivate me."
LRC The Week That Was: November 26 - December 2, 2012 This week we start with praise for Bill Aris, who has built the greatest dynasty in US cross-country history. We then tell you why the 2012 Fukuoka Marathon will be remembered for what didn't happen rather than what did. Along the way we talk about 10 greatest half marathoners in history and wonder if anyone running more than 25 mpw or faster than 7:30 miles is killing themselves. Plus talk of Adam Nelson, Haile G, Paula Radcliffe and Martin Lel.
Some Of The Few Remaining Track & Field Journalists Weigh In On Adam Nelson
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
The World Is A Corrupt Place - Doping/Corruption News
- A Must Read For Anti-Dopers: Paul Kimmage - The One Man Who Seemingly Has Always Tried To Clean Up Doping In Cyling - Gives An In-Depth Interview On Lance Armstrong, he says, "That would be my view - fantastic bike rider, but not a Tour winner. I would say no: He would not have won a Tour without doping." LetsRun tweeted that quote to Lance. He also reveals what it was like to discover his Irish heroes were dopers as well.
- Important News IAAF Wins 1st Case At Court Of Arbitration For Sport Involving Biological Passport Thanks to the biological passport, the IAAF was able to show repeated doping, which nets a 4-year ban.
*Reuters: Greek distance runner Irini Kokkinariou ban is doubled after IAAF appeal
Sad News: Two-Time Foot Locker Finalist Arrested For Murder Eric Kweder, who has popped up in a number of threads over the years, was 9th in 1995 as an 11th grader - one spot ahead of eventual Olympian Jonathan Riley.
Weekend Results: Fukuoka Marathon: Results *Cal International: Flash Results
- Fukuoka: Joseph Gitau Is The Surprise Winner In Fukuoka In 2:06:58 Hiroyuki Horibata was the top Japanese runner in 2:08:24 as Poland's Henryk Szost was 3rd (2:08:42), Arata Fujiwara 4th and
the topsecond Japanese (2:09:31), and Yuki Kawauchi 6th (2:10:29). Mohamed Trafeh led for the US in 7th (2:11:41) over Ryan Vail (8th - 2:11:45) and Tim Nelson 12th (2:14:09). Haile Gebrselassie, Simon Bairu, Martin Mathathi and Brent Vaughn were all DNFs. *Full Results
- Haile G Tweets About His DNF At Fukuoka He says he had a leg cramp and couldn't lift it. But he'll be looking for another marathon to run because he feels he's in "good shape."
- IAAF Recap Gitau was a huge surprise winner has his PR before this race was 2:21:54. Geb dropped out at 32k while Mathathi made it to 38k.
- MB: Mo Trafeh, Ryan Vail 2:11:4x at Fukuoka *Official Fukuoka Marathon thread along with working link *Coach Jerry fails in Marathon again
CIM: Daniel Tapia And Alisha Williams Win CIM In Horrible Wet And Windy Conditions Tapia is the first American winner since 1993 and won with 2:16:30 over Tesfaye Alemayehu (2:17:07). 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga was 5th in 2:18:37. In the women's race Williams beat out Clara Peterson 2:34:58 to 2:35:36. *Full Results
- Video Interview With Danny Tapia *Interview With Alisha Williams She thanks the "awesome guys" who let her and Peterson sit behind them for large portions of the race.
- MB: **OFFICIAL CIM THREAD** *CIM - 35 mph headwind?
- Dutch 15k: Geoffrey Mutai Sets CR At Heereenberg 15k In The Netherlands With 42:25 (4:33/ Mile Pace) Mutai beat a deep field including Philip Langat (a close 2nd in 42:26), 2:04:50 man Getu Feleke (3rd) and 2:04:16 marathoner David Kimetto (6th). Ethiopian Atsede Baysa won the women's race in 49:15.
*Good Race Video Of Geoffrey Mutai Winning Netherlands 15k (Commentary In Dutch) Skip to 2:29 into video for race coverage.
- AK Hoping Doping Tests Conducted 2 Weeks Ago On "32 Top" Kenyans By IAAF Will End Suspicions Really, passing one out of season test which the athletes "made themselves available for" won't prove anything.
- AP Says Despite The Sport's "Near-Zero" Positive Test Rate, There is Rampant Steroid Use Among College Football Teams "Based on dozens of interviews with players, testers, dealers and experts and an analysis of weight records for more than 61,000 players -- revealed that while those running the multibillion-dollar sport believe the problem is under control, that is hardly the case."
- Two London Olympic Athletes Receive Bans For Doping After They Tested Positive Just Before The Games Syrian 400m hurdler Ghfran Almouhamad got a pathetic 6 month ban as Turkish long jumper Karin Mey Melis received 2 years.
- Italian Olympic Committee Requests 4-Year Doping Ban For Former Olympic Race Walk Champion Alex Schwazer After He Tested Positive For EPO Good for them; we're tired of countries trying to get their athletes off with lesser 2 or 1 year bans.
TodaysMiles.com Launches On LetsRun.com
Today's Miles Launches The running world has got 3.1*, 13.1 and 26.2 stickers. Todaymiles.com takes that concept to running apparel. Want to celebrate that 26.2 you did? Do it. Want to run 20 minutes and wear a 20 mile shirt? You can do that, too. More info here.
It's The Time Of Year To Be Thankful
Toby Tanser Is Amazing: Shoe4Africa To Build A Multi-Million Shilling Public Children Hospital In Eldoret The charity will break ground on the hospital on New Year's eve. The hospital wil be only the 2nd children's hospital in all of sub-Sahara Africa. Natalie Portman and Cristiano Ronaldo have donated - have you? *Donate Here
*2:18 Marathoner Mike Cassidy Helped Raise $6,500
*Tanser Blogs About A Day In His Hectic Life
BBC Sports Personality Of The Year Award *Full List Of Winners
- Tour de France Champion Bradley Wiggins Wins BBC Sports Personality Of The Year Award Jessica Ennis was 2nd. Seb Coe won the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Usain Bolt Wins Overseas Sports Personality Of The Year Award
- British Olympic And Paralympic Teams Win "Team Of The Year" Sports Personality Award
- The Guardian Play-By-Play Of Sports Personality Of The Year Awards
- Other UK News: Good Interview With Paralympic 100m Champ Jonnie Peacock On The London Games And Everything After "I remember I would never walk around in shorts, people staring. Now people are more proud of who they are."
*100m Parlympic Champion Jonnie Peacock Complains That He Thinks Paralympic Events Do Not Get Enough Attention In The Diamond League "They're kind of put in there as a filler, like cheerleaders coming out at half-time."
- Four Scenes From London Parlympics Show Up In Google's Yearly Highlights Film, "Google Zeitgeist"
Doping News: Comrades Marathon Winner Ludwick Mamabolo Could Get Off On A Technicality After Failing Drug Test Apparently there were a few protocol mistakes in the testing process, however none of them seem like they would actually have any effect on the result of the test.
Wetmore-Simpson Round II
LRC Jenny Simpson Coaching Switch Update Former CU Buff Stephen Kasica has some details on Simpson training in Boulder last week. Plus there is a cool multimedia timeline on Simpson's career and some perspective. Simpson won Worlds under Juli Benson, yet never ran within 3.5 seconds of her 1,500m PR. Fascinating.
More Post-European XC News
LRC Meet The 2012 European Cross-Country Champions LetsRun prides
itself on promoting the sport's stars as individuals and not just as a group. Normally our efforts are devoted to "the Africans" but today we do the same for "the Europeans." Meet the junior woman who destroyed Mary Cain, meet the "Viking version of Centro" and potentially Italy and
Ireland's next marathon stars.
*After A Silver And Bronze The Last Two Years, Serbia's Amela Terzic Finally Got Gold At Euro XC Champs The 1,500 runner was 5 meters down with 500 to go but unelased a sick kick that got her a 9-second win.
*Italian Who Dominated European XC, Andrea Lalli , Has Been Living In Kenya Training With Gianni Di Madonna's Group For Two Years
*Don't Give Up: Both Silver Medallists At European Cross Overcame Mid-Race Struggles Hassan Chahdi of France and Ana Dulce Félix of Portugal showed there is a reason why you run the whole race.
Down Goes Rohrer (Foot Locker Girls Photo Gallery)
The Week That Was
LRC The Week That Was In Running: December 3 - December 9, 2012 This week we tell you why Wilson Kipsang is the best marathoner in the world, show you how Foot Locker CC is still > NXN, tell you how to PR in 13 straight marathons, talk about how some say EPO doesn't help you and give you our opinion on Ryan Hall's new coach. All of that plus talk of Manny Pacquiao and the Tour de France.
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery (Updated)
Ryan Hall Talks About Being Coached By Renato Canova
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Sports That Are For People Who Can't Cut It In Track: 1) Bobsled 2) Triathlon
After Failing To Make 2012 Olympic Sprint Team, Craig Pickering Is Now Focusing On Boblsed Pickering is a European indoor 60 silver medallist, so he's
perfectly suited for the bobsled.
Pickering: Decision Is For The Long Term
Senior Men's European Preview
"Dewey Beats Truman" Providence Beats Oregon
LRC An Examination Of The Timing/Scoring Screw-Ups At The 2012 NCAA
At the NCAA D1 champs, the wrong national champion was official declared. What the heck happened,
could it have been prevented
and what needs to be done in the future? At the D3 champs, scores counting all seven runners were displayed. At the D1 South Regional, a wrong qualifying team was announced as well. Did you know the same timing company was involved in all 3 instances? An email from a coach who saw the chaos unfold first hand in Louisville is what motivated us to look into this:
*LRC An Insider Coach's Account Of The "Colossal" Scoring Screw-Up At The 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Champs
Good Read: RunBlogRun Asks What Lies Ahead For Jordan Hasay? "There is an unspoken uneasiness around the fact that Hasay's phenomenal record as a young high schooler is not being fully replicated at the collegiate level ... Hasay's impressive record while at Oregon is nonetheless viewed by some as falling somewhat short of what might have been expected from an athlete who totally dominated her events as a prep."
Our Weekly Analysis Returns At Last
LRC The 2012 NCAA Cross Country Champs That Were We bring back our weekly recap by looking back two weeks to the 2012 NCAA Cross Country Championships. We start by praising the UConn women, Jordan Hasay, Abbey D'Agostino and ourselves before telling who flopped (Iona/Stanford), comparing Vin Lananna and Martin Smith, and telling you who the favorite is for 2013. Along the way, we crush the dreams of all college runners by telling them they likely won't improve (much) after their sophomore year before ending with talk about unbreakable women's world records.