NCAAs Are TODAY *Live Stream Info (12 Noon Eastern For Women, 1:15pm For Men) No TV Coverage
LRC Women's Team Preview: Oregon Or Florida State? What About Darkhorse Providence? It should be a fierce battle in Kentucky for
the NCAA crown. Florida State is favored, but should they be? Last year they choked it big time.
LRC Women's Individual Preview: Can Jordan Hasay Do It? Or Will Betsy Saina Or Abbey D'Agostino Prevent The Fairy Tale Ending?
*LRC Fan Polls Individual Predictions
More NCAA News:
- RRW: Abbey D'Agostino Looking To Be First Ivy Leaguer To Win NCAA Cross-Country Championships She'll have her hands full with Jordan Hasay.
- Phil Hersh Gets Pomona Pitzer's Annie Lydens Gets Pub In LA Times For Skipping NCAAs To Try Out For Rhodes
- 3rd-Ranked Iowa State's Meaghan Nelson: "It just seems weird to be in contention to win a national title. A little strange."
- ISU's Betsy Saina: "Our goal is to win the title and I think we are more than capable of doing that."
- Could Cal Poly's Laura Hollander Become Just The Second Freshman To Win NCAA XC Champs? Wisconsin's Suzie Tuffey won in 1985.
- Oregon Women Coming Into NCAAs Ranked 2nd With Jordan Hasay The Possible Favorite To Finally Win An NCAA Title The men are ranked 16th.
- On The Boards: Jordan Hasay's Chances of Winning
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click on photo)
Weekend Action That Isn't Happening In The Midwest
- Former Boston Marathon Winner Caroline Kilel Dominates Safaricom 10k Road Race In 35:24 With this victory, she won the overall Safaricom Gusii Golden Series jackpot. In the men's race, two-time World Junior Cross-Country champion Phillip Mosima was upset by Emmanuel Ngaituny, who ran 30:19.16 to Mosima's 30:33.87.
- Tomororw: NY Times: Olympic Champ Tiki Gelana Running Seven Hills 15k In The Netherlands Against Tirunesh Dibaba She was originally scheduled to race NYC.
- Yokohama Marathon: 2:21 Woman Lydia Cheromei Leads Deep Field That Includes Kim Smith, Amy Hastings & Top Japanese Women For the Japanese women, this race serves as a selection race for Moscow 2013.
*Brit Jo Pavey Is Looking Forward To Cutting A Lot Of Time Off Her 2:28 PR As This Is Her First Marathon Not Coming Off An Injury
- IAAF Preview: Sunday Is The Second Leg Of The IAAF Cross-Country Series In Soria, Spain Men's race will be close battle between Kenyan 10k Trials 4th placer Emmanuel Kipkemei Bett and 12:49 5k runner John Kipkoech. Eritrea’s Nazaret Weldu leads women's field.
- There Will Be A Marathon In New York City Tomorrow: The Brooklyn Marathon Will Have 500 Finishers In It's Second Year They tried to expand the field to 2,500 to accommodate some left out of NYC, but the city denied their request.
- Former Villanova All-American And Cancer Survivor Back As An Assistant Coach And Racing The Philly 8k This Weekend
- Kenya Hosting Kass Marathon On Sunday: Gladys Kerubo Otero & Paul Koech Will Defend Their Titles
- Boulogne-Billancourt Half Marathon: The Race Is Tomorrow But The Organizers Haven't Released The Elite Field??? However, they do say sub-60 minutes is the goal for the men.
Non-NCAA Weekend Action
- Kenyan XC Tomorrow: KCB National Cross-Country Series Continues With A Deep Women's Race Featuring Faith Chepng'etich, Mercy Cherono & Emily Chebet Peter Mateelong leads men's field.
- Big Sur On Sunday: Big Sur Half Marathon Instituting Drug Testing After Two Of Last Year's Top Finishers (Ezkyaz Sisay And Christian Hesch) Were Found Out As Drug Cheats
*Local Article Citing LetsRun.com
- Sunday's Turin Marathon: Italian Record Holder (2:23) And Olympics 8th Placer Valeria Straneo & 2:24 Dutchwoman Hilda Kibet Lead Deep Women's Field They were both originally scheduled to race NYC. Men's field led by Daniel Rono (2:06:58), Nicholas Kipruto Koech (2:07:23) and Ukraine’s Oleksiy Sitkovskyy (2:09:26), who finished 12th at the London Olympics.
- Usain Bolt Tweets Pictures Of His Best Kept Training Secret ... Stair Running Does he really train like this, or could it be a ploy to mess with Tyson Gay and Ryan Bailey?
- Uganda Olympic Committee Signs $71,000 Deal With Anti-Doping Company To Fight Drug Abuse Among Athletes They were motivated by seeing all the current allegations against Kenya.
- Coach Of Trinidad & Tobago's Olympic Javelin Champ Gets $54,000 For His Success
- France Debating Making A Bid To Host 2024 Games
- David Rudisha Favorite To Win Safaricom Sports Personality Of The Year Award
When Life Gives You Lemons, Go Race A Marathon In Japan
- This Weekend: A Look At The Elite Field For The Yokohama International Women's Marathon Top internationals include Lydia Cheromei (2:21:30), Amy Hastings, Kim Smith and Jo Pavey, while the Japanese women will try to hit Japan's new strict sub-2:24 standard to qualify for their Moscow World Champs team.
- Dec. 2nd: Martin Lel, Scott Overall, Ryan Vail, Tim Nelson, Brent Vaughn Added To Fukuoka Marathon Field After Missing Out On NYC Field already includes Haile Gebrselassie, Martin Mathathi, Mo Trafeh, Reid Coolsaet, Ryan Bak and Japan runners Arata Fujiwara and Yuki Kawauchi.
*MB: Martin Lel, Nelson, Bairu, Vaughn, Vail to run FUKUOKA Marathon
- Recommended Read: New Jersey-New York Track Club Elite Miler Liam Boylan-Pett Responds To All The Negative Press Coming From The NY Post Against Mary Wittenberg & The NYRR
Yet Another Great Dies Too Young
Former 10k WR Holder Joseph Kimani Has Died At Age 40 The former road superstar
took down the world's best in the
10k by a ridiculous 30 seconds in the summer of 1996 as he ran a still unthinkable 27:04 at Peachtree. He won
virtually every big road race in the US at least once, also set a 12k WR, and is still the CR holder at Boilermaker.
More: *LRC MB Remembrances of Kimani
*RRW Article On Kimani
*Utica Observer Dispatch: Joseph Kimani, Boilermaker all-time great, dies at age 40
*Kimani's Death Getting Mentioned In Slovenia (Translated)
*AJC: Peachtree record holder passes away
UK Administrative Stuff: Olympic Stadium Situation Still A Mess
- Olympic Stadium Debacle Catching A Lot Of Heat As It Might Take Longer To Figure Out What To Do With It And Convert It Than It Did To Build It There is talk of the stadium not reopening until after the opening ceremonies of Rio 2016, which would just be ridiculous.
- UKA Chairman Ed Warner: "The legacy use was scheduled to start in two years' time and now it might be four years' time which strikes me as ludicrous ..."
- Three Men Arrested For Spying During The Controversial Bid War Over The Olympic Stadium There are allegations that they were hired by rival bidder Tottenham to spy on West Ham.
- UK Sport Investing A £27m National Lottery Campaign To Try And Bring More Major Sporting Events To Britain But will they have a stadium to put them in?
- London Bidding To Host The 2017 Paralympic World Championships In Addition To The Track World Champs Don't worry, the stadium should almost definitely be ready by then.
- Seb Coe "Frustrated" At Lack Of Opportunities For Sport In Schools
- Q&A With Olympic Medalist And BBC Commentator Brendan Foster
Quick Work: 2008 & 2012 Olympic Javelin Champion (And Former UMinn Gopher) Barbora Spotakova Is Pregnant And Will Not Compete In 2013 "I don't fear losing my appetite for sport - it's in my blood. My partner and I have been really hoping for this, we've allowed things to take their course and we've succeeded."
A Case That Makes The Caster Semenya Situation Seem Like A Fairy Tale
Female Gold Medallist, Pinki Pramanik, Formally Charged With Rape After Being Determined
To Be Male - She Says No, It's Just Result Of Drugs I Took
*Asian Games Gold Medallist Pinki Pramanik Charged With Rape After Medical Reports Confirm Her As Male
*Pinki Pramanik Blames Injections For Her "Masculine" Physique
*Pinki Pramanik Plans Defamation Case Against Cops, Prosecutor
*Medical Reports Confirm Pinki Is A Male
*Police Forcing Me To Commit Suicide, Says Pinki Praminik
Laughable: Cycling Head Pat McQuaid Says UCI Will Establish Confidential Doping Hotline To Build Trust & Says Releases Open Letter to Peloton That Says He's Been A Leader In Anti-Doping Movement It's a little too late for gestures and false statements like this: "The UCI has always been a pioneer in the fight against doping, a fact recognised by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) and the IOC (International Olympic Committee) among others," wrote McQuaid in his letter addressed "Dear rider."
More Weekend Results
- Stanley Biwott Shatters Rock 'N' Roll San Antonio Half Marathon CR 1:01:11 He was originally supposed to run the NYC marathon last weekend before it was cancelled.
- 2012-13 IAAF XC Series Gets Under Way As Imane Merga Holds Off Kenya's 4th Placers For Narrow Win The runner-up was Kenya's 5k 4th finisher, Vincent Chepkok, and 10k 4th
placer (and 2012 WL) Emmanuel Bett was third. London 5th placer in the steeple, Ayalew Hiwot, destroyed Linet Masai to win the women's crown.
*Ireland's Euro XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Finishes 4th
- An Irish Kip Litton? Irish Runner Cuts Dublin City Marathon Course Closing In 1:07:20 After Running The First Half In 1:23:17
Richmond Marathon, Half & 8k + Athens, Beirut & Istanbul Marathons *Richmond Photos
Neely Spence Runs With Dad Steve For 3 Miles Then Smashes 8k Course Record With 25:22 Win Steve ran 25:45. Ethiopians won the half marathons. Mengstu Nebsi set a CR at 1:03:21 as Hirut Beyen ran 1:15.14. *Discuss
Kenya's Kipkoech Ruto Wins Richmond Marathon In 2:15 As American Christo Landry Debuts In 2:17 After Pushing Pace Early Hoping For 2:12
Aziza Aliyu Of Ethiopia - Who Was Going To Run In New York - Blows Away Women's Field In 2:40:21 A pretty easy run for Aliyu, who has a 2:36 PR.
Pre-Race: Richmond Marathon Acquires A New York Accent Not too much of one as the first place prize was only $2,500.
Istanbul: Tortoise Beats The Hare Stephan Chebogut Picks up $50,000 & Wins Istanbul Marathon By 4+ Minutes In 2:11:05 As Leaders Blow Up After Going Out In 62:47 (new link) Koren Jelela won the women's title in 2:28:05.
Athens: Marathon Record Is Now 2:11:35 Thanks To Raymond Bett That's a long way from the 2:58:50 that won the 1896 Olympics. The women's race was won in 2:40:00.
*59-Year-Old Man Running 10k As Part Of Athens Marathon Dies From Heart Attack After Finishing
Beirut: 33,000 Run As Ethiopia's Kedir Fekadu Wins In 2:12:57 Saeda Kedir won the women's race in 2:35:08 as American Mary Akor was third in 2:37:32.
Other Marathon News: Great News: Philly Takes 1,360 NY Would-Be Marathoners - Says They'll Donate $100 Hurricane Sandy Relief
*Ridiculous: New York Marathon Giving Out Finisher Medals Even Though No One Finished The Race
Kenyan XC Meet
- She's Back 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Wins 2nd Straight Kenyan XC Meet As 5th Placer From Kenyan Trials, 10,000 Geoffrey Kirui, Dominates Men's Kirui won by 13 seconds. *Results
- Kenyan Recap Of XC Meet Boston runner-up Jemimah Chelagat was 2nd.
- More Kenya-Related News: P. Makau And R. Mota Honoured With Awards At A Gala Dinner On The Occasion Of The 30th Anniversary Of Both The Association Of International Marathons
- David Rudisha: WR Holder And Now Movie Star In The Movie "The First" Movie on his WR setting win at London 2012. *Trailer
- Ethiopians Abay Girma And Argachew Tadesse Lead Field For Kass Marathon Next Sunday In Kenya There's a $5,000 bonus for the first foreigner across the line.
- Kenyan XC Today: 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Headlines Field In 2nd Of 7 Meet Series Peter Matelong (Richard Matelong's younger brother), Hosea Macharinyang and Isaac Korir lead men's field.
*World XC News: IAAF Members Conclude Their Visit To Bydgoszcz, Poland To Inspect The Site Of The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships On March 24th Everything seems to be in order."
US News: Lolo Jones Wins Bobsled World Cup Silver Medal
- Lolo Jones' Team Wins Silver At Bobsled World Cup Tianna Madison and her partner took bronze. Jones said, "I'm kind of in shock."
*Videos Of Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison In Bobsled Action
NCAA Nationals Are TODAY *Live Stream Info (12 Noon Eastern For Women, 1:15pm For Men)
The Votes Are Coming In
LRC NCAA Cross-Country Fan Polls Men's Predictions The first votes are in and we present to you the projections for 31 teams and 79 individuals at NCAAs. Voting still open in our $200,012 NCAA prediction contest.
LRC NCAA Cross-Country Fan Polls Women's Predictions Jordan Hasay is the favorite over Abbey D'Agostino, but you helped us rank 86 individuals and all 31 teams.
LRC DIII Fan Poll Predictions page fixed Keep spreading the word.
LRC DII Fan Poll Predictions
LRC Men's Team Preview: Expect A Battle Between #1 Oklahoma State, #4 Wisco And #7 Colorado LRC breaks down the field and disses #2 Stanford and #2 Iona while giving #4 Wisconsin and #7 Colorado a chance. Disagree? Vote in our $200,012 prediction contest.
LRC Men's Individual Preview: Can Anyone Stop Lawi Lalang? Will An American Get In The Top 10? Lawi Lalang won NCAAs last year as a freshman. If he wins this time, he could be on his way to becoming the first 4-time NCAA champion.
More NCAA News:
- Oklahoma State Men Looking To Get Their NCAA XC Title Streak Started Again After Missing Out On A Three-Peat Last Year When They Lost To Wisconsin Coach Dave Smith: "Getting beat last year changed a lot for us. The guys on the team have been really focused since the minute the national meet finished."
- Wisco Coach: "I don’t know there’s a dominating team right now,"
- Dave Smith, Girma Mecheso, Tom Farrell, Karen Harvey And Lance Harter Speak At Friday's Press Conference
- Stanford Hoping At A Chance To Win Their First Men's XC Title Since 2003 And First Women's Since 2007 Odd that Stanford never has had an individual male or female champion.
- WSJ: Many Olympic Medalists Got Their Start By Winning NCAA XC Champs NYC Marathon elite athlete recruiter Sam Grotewold said that being a good cross-country athlete is something they look for when selecting the field.
International News: CAS Going Out Of It's Way To Help Dopers
- Horrible Call: CAS Forces International Weightlifting Federation To Move From A 4-Year Ban To A 2-Year Ban For First Time Doping Offenders It should be at least a 4-year ban. A "clean" athlete today is still receiving the benefits for the doping they did 2 years ago.
- The Benefits Of Being Olympic Champ: Stephen Kiprotich's Wife Gets On Cover Of Fashion Magazine After "Day-Long Extreme Makeover"
- Usain Bolt Gets Featured In GQ
- Move Over, Bolt: Japanese Man Breaks World Record In The 100m ... for running on all fours. Includes video.
- In Case You Missed This: Former Marathon WR Holder Paul Tergat Put Forward To Be A Member Of The IOC
- Top Kenyan Athletes Like David Rudisha, Ezekiel Kemboi & Pamela Jelimo Getting Involved In Kenyan Politics?
- Irish Sports Council Breaking Tradition By Saying Those Athletes Who Didn't Hit Their Performance Targets Due To Injury Or Ilness Will Not Get A Break They will still lose their funding.
- MileSplit Weekend Coverage: NXN South and Southwest, NY, FL, NJ, MA State Champs
- Q&A With HSer Who Made His State Meet 2 Years After Not Even Being Able To Walk After A Devastating Car Accident
Previous NCAA News
- RW Interview With Florida State Coach Karen Harvey "I'm calling my girls horses. They are so fit. I mean, it's almost scary."
- Interview With UConn Women Team Members On Making Their First Trip To XC Nationals
- Running Times Interview With Colorado Runner Blake Theroux "I'm going to run my own race, trusting that my guys are behind me, doing what they need to do. I would say I'm number two on the team right now ... and my goal is to beat every other number two in the country."
- Running Times NCAA Predictions
- DII Chairman Speaks On Decision To Still Hold DII XC Nationals In Joplin, MO After The Town Was Almost Completely Destroyed By A F5 Tornado Last May
- Australian Exchange Student Laments University Of Richmond Dropping It's Track Program
- OSU Coach Dave Smith Says His Team Is "Racing A Little Angry" At NCAAs "We are hungry again. Last year stung pretty badly. We are training and racing with a chip on our shoulder, like we did in previous years. We are running like we have something to prove, training and racing a little angry."
- Stanford Teams Happy With Where They're At After Regionals
- Q&A With Iowa State's Meaghan Nelson On The Team's Training And Outlook Ahead Of NCAAs She says her mileage has got up to 100-plus, and many others are in the 70-100 range.
US All-Time Greats In The News
- Track Gossip: Rumors Of Bruce And Kris Jenner Getting A Divorce Kris Jenner is the matriarch of the reality TV family the Kardashians.
- Lopez Lomong Wins Visa Humanitarian Of The Year Award In less than a year, the Lopez Lomong Foundation raised $150,000 to provide clean water and health care for those in South Sudan.
- Q&A With US HJ Record Holder And 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist Charles Austin, Who Is Being Inducted Into The National Track & Field Hall Of Fame He won gold by breaking the Olympic record on his final attempt, after coming back from a knee injury where four different doctors told him he'd never jump again.
Assorted News From The UK
- Jessica Ennis Says Sportswomen Can "Create a real healthy body image for young girls to aspire to." She admits to hating lifting weights when she was younger because she knew it would affect her figure.
*Ennis, Christine Ohuruogu And Other UK Athletes Appeared On BBC's Special Titled "Body Beautiful?"
- Brit Runner Has Ran 587 Marathons In His Lifetime (500 Of Them Sub-3:30) Also broke a world record for running 87 marathons in a year, but no mention of his PR.
- UK Writer Worries That The New "Superstars" Special By The BBC Will Be Much Tamer Than The Original '80s Version
- Government Report Says Construction Of Olympic Venues "Injected $11.6 Billion Into The British Economy
- London Had To Take Extra Measures To Make Sure Tourism Industry Was Not Devastated By Games You might assume the Olympics bring many more people in than usual, but with the number who avoid the city before and after the Games, London will be lucky to break even.
- Seb Coe Says UK Schools Need To Recruit Better PE Teachers And Pay Them More To Build On Olympic Legacy
Kenyan News: Paul Tergat Is On The IOC
- Sammy Wanjiru Honored By Commonwealth Games Federation & Paul Tergat Chosen To Succeed Kip Keino As Kenya's Representative On The IOC Executive Board The award included $379, which was given to
one of his wiveshis wife. She gave the money to the Wanjiru Foundation, which aids local races and is helping the local hospital buy equipment that could have possibly saved Wanjiru.
- Caroline Kilel Among Athletes Vying For Overall Jackpot In 3-Part Safaricom Gusii Golden Kebirigo 10km Road Series Winner gets $584, a cow, a goat and a sack of maize. Cha-ching!
- Big Surprise: AK President Isaiah Kiplagat Urges Retired Kenyan Athletes To Take Up Management Of Current Runners Rather Than Use Foreign Agents "It is not economically healthy for all the agents to be from abroad. If our agents take care of our athletes, the benefit would be for the Kenyans."
- Heated Debate Continues At Eldoret Athlete Seminar Beteween KRA And Runners Over The Taxation Of Prize Money
Pro Track/Road News
- Jamaican Press Criticizes IAAF For Not Including Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce On Short List For World Athlete Of The Year Award However they do concede that she won three gold medals to Fraser-Pryce's one and even mention their surprise that Ashton Eaton was left off the men's list.
- Valerie Adams, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sally Pearson, Jessica Ennis & Allyson Felix Nominated For Laureus Sportswoman Of The Year Award Non-track athletes nominated include Serena Williams, Missy Franklin and Japanese wrestler Saori Yoshid.
- Neely Spence Says She's Looking Forward To Being Part Of The US's Kiden Team Competing At The Chiba Ekiden Later This Month
- Ashton Eaton's Coach, Harry Marra, Named USATF Coach Of The Year www.usatf.org He also coaches Eaton's fiance Brianne Theisen.
- Mid-D Runner Ryan Gregson Criticizes Decision Of Australian Soccer Teams To Go Train At High Altitude In Boulder Or Flagstaff During November
- Olympic Heptathlon Champ Jessica Ennis Wants To Join The 7,000-Point Club Her best is 6,955, while three in history have broken 7,000, the WR holder being US's Jackie Joyner-Kersee (7,291).
Previous NCAA News
There's Smart And Then Stanford Smart NCAA Okays Private Plane To Take Stanford's Miles Unterreiner To Rhodes Scholarship Interview From NCAA XC Meet
*AP Article On Unterreiner
*D3 Runner Annie Lydens Of Pomona Pitzer Will Skip NCAAs To Go To Interview
*MB: NCAA XC vs Rhodes Scholarship
Oscar P Receives Honorary Doctorate From Glasgow's Strathclyde University - A Leader In Prosthetic Research *Daily Mail On Oscar P
After 3 Days In Cell With 40 Men, One Open Toilet And A Blanket That Had Not Been Washed In Years, Former World High Jump Champion Jacques Freitag Gets Bail
National Security Issues Start With Running:
Wall Street Journal Examines Paula Broadwell And David Petraeus' Running: "Paula Broadwell Is Faster Than You" She ran 1:36 for the half marathon at 39.
Recommended Reads And Seb Coe News
- Recommended Read: Having Recently Won $500,000 WMM Title, Geoffrey Mutai Hasn't Forgot His Poor Upbringing & Remembers How He Borrowed Money To Run 2007 Kass Marathon This year's edition of the race is this year and Mutai says the winner will be able to get top 3 in Boston.
- Recommended Read: Brothers Futsum Zienasellassie And Bahlbi Gebreyohanns
Talk About Being Separated & Now Reunited Again At NAU
- A Nice Q&A With Former Olympic Medallist And TV Columnist Extraordinaire Brendan Foster
Speaking Of Recommended Reads, A Few People Actually Have Emailed And Said That His New Autobiography Is A RR Despite Monday's Terrible Review
- Seb Coe Talks To Sky Sport About His New Book And Olympic Memories From London 2012
- IOC President Jacques Rogge Has Expressed Caution About The Chances Of Sebastian Coe Becoming A Member Of The Olympic Body Next Year
- Even Though They Brought In 50% More Money Than Any Other Olympics Through Ticket Sales, Politicians Are Still Expected To Criticize Seb Coe On Wednesday
Pro News: Galen Rupp Will Be Back At It November 23rd In Japan
- Looking Ahead To Japan's November 23rd International Chiba Ekiden Top names on the start list include Galen Rupp, Kenya's Olympic marathon silver medalist Priscah Jeptoo, and Canada's Olympic marathoner Reid Coolsaet.
- Geoffrey Mutai Talks About His First Big Marathon Win At The Kass Marathon Back In 2007 Before that 2007 race, Mutai couldn't even afford the entry fee and had to borrow money to register, but after his finish his manager first discovered him and set him up with his first World Marathon Major.
- Recommended Read: Part 1 Of A 3-Part Piece By 3:54 Miler Jon Rankin On Why Elite Athletes Shouldn't Cheat "But doesn’t becoming the best entail knowing that YOU are standing on the podium because you're the one responsible for achieving your performance, and not because you used something that was made in a lab? Personally, I wouldn't be able to live with that lie."
- Ashton Eaton And Allyson Felix Named "Jesse Owens Athletes Of The Year" This is Felix's fourth time winning.
*Q&A With Felix And Eaton Felix says she'll probably move up to the 400 for Rio 2016 and that she won't be running indoors this year.
- The Victorian Institute Of Sport Drops Craig Mottram From Their Funding List In Favor Of Younger Athletes "With A Better Chance Of Winning Medals"
- Oscar P Receives Honorary Degree From Scotland's Strathclyde University
NYC News: NYPD To Refund Fees Paid By NYC Marathon Police fees were the main reason entry fees spiked for the 2012 marathon.
Recommended Read If You Are A Seb Coe Fan
British Journalist Reads Seb Coe's Autobiography, Interviews Him And Then Totally Pans Him As An "Uninspiring" Bore We don't think we've ever read a more critical review of someone who is such a success.
Nice Read: 20-Year-Old Irish Pentathlete, Whose Inspiration Is Steve Prefontaine, Has Painfully Made Himself Into One Of The World's Elite With Just A Ton Of Hard Work
Japan And China Go To War Over A Marathon?
- Update: Correction: Japanese Now Can Compete In Beijing - Chinese Say "Administrative Oversight" Kept Japanese Out Initially If you believe that, you are a fool.
- As A Result Of Japan-China Territorial Dispute And Protests, Beijing Marathon Bans Japanese Citizens "For Their Own Safety" The race, which was originally scheduled for Oct., was cancelled by the Communist party earlier in the year but it came out on Nov. 7 that it would take place in 18 days.
*Despite Controversy And 2 Weeks Training Time, Beijing Marathon Is Hot - 26,000+ Applications In Two Days
More News From Japan:
Japan's Sole Olympic 5,000/10,000 Runner Yuki Sato Is Dreaming Of Marathon Medal In Rio Sato, a 13:23/27:38 performer, ran in London with "B" qualifiers but will likely move up for Rio.
- Japan's 2:07 Man Arata Fujiwara Is Running December's Fukuoka Marathon For One Reason - He Wants To Beat The Great Amateur Yuki Kawauchi "Once the Olympics were finished and I had to think about what would motivate me next, I thought a showdown with him would be the most fun."
- Incoming Japanese Federation Marathon Director On Kawauchi: "I want him to keep doing things in his own style."
Give Us Your Winner
LSU Women Lose Their Outdoor National Title
Oregon Women Win NCAA Title ... In Outdoor Track LSU has been forced to "vacate" their national title after sprinter Semoy Hackett tested positive for a banned stimulant.
*TrackFocus Article The Oregon women have placed second at the NCAA meet four years in a row ... so we guess this breaks the streak.
TODAY: Did You Miss Out On Signing Up For The Berlin Marathon? 2,500 Berlin Marathon Spots Still Available And Registration Opens Today Opens at 6 p.m. (CET).
*Don't Miss Out In The Future: Website JogCal.com Offers "Runner's Reminders," A Bi-Weekly Newsletter To Remind Runners Of Important Registration Dates For Big Races
World Famous Prediction Contests
LRC $200,012 NCAA Cross-Country Nationals D1 Prediction Contest Nationals are this SATURDAY (not Monday) and just in time, our world famous prediction contest is back. You could win $200,012 or $2,012 or nothing. All you have to do is pick your top ten teams and top ten individuals from our guide.
*Final DI National Rankings Have Oklahoma State And Florida State As #1s
*The Wood Report: Guy Who Gave You Previews For All Conference Champs Predicts Top Men's Teams & Individuals At NCAAs He goes through and predicts the top 50 individuals.
LRC DII NCAA Cross-Country Nationals Prediction Contest link fixed Who says we don't love you on LetsRun.com?
*DII News And NCAA Previews From New Running Website Huxley Running Company
LRC DIII NCAA Cross-Country Nationals Prediction Contest After you enter, email your friends if you want DIII to get more love on LRC in the future.
Proof Everyone Reads LetsRun? Days After We Bemoaned Fact Superstars Didn't Exist Anymore - It's Brought Back
Has This Been Alberto Certified?
Mo Farah To Face Other British Gold Medallists In Superstars Competition Sounds like fun as they'll do races over 100m and 800m, archery, javelin, a 50m swim, a kayak race, a cycling hill climb and the challenges in the gym tests.
*MB Archive: Superstars Competition half-mile run record is 1:57.36?
*MB Archive: 1981 Superstars Half Mile
Meet Hosting News
- Q&A With Millrose Games Meet Director Howard Schmertz, Who Is Being Inducted Into USATF Hall Of Fame One of the things he's most proud of is that "In the 106 years that the Millrose Games have been held, it has never been cancelled for any reason - weather, war or whatever." Too bad the NYC Marathon can't say the same.
- IAAF Delegation Finishes First Formal Visit To Eugene To Inspect The Site Of The 2014 World Junior Championships
- After Being Eliminated By Selectors In Both 2016 And 2020, Qatar Plans To Bid Again To Host The Olympics In 2024
It's Hard To Keep Up With LetsRun.com's Cutting Edge Design
- Staff Forced To Flee IOC Headquarters In Lausanne Due To Flooding
- Did You Miss Out On Tickets For London 2012? Report Says That 1,000s Of Tickets To "In-Demand" Olympic Events Went Unsold Report claims that there were over 2,000 unsold tickets for track events and even hundreds for the opening and closing ceremonies.
Former Rice University All-American Becky Wade Traveling The World And Blogging On Her Experience With Different Running Cultures Currently she's spending 2 months in Ethiopia working with the Yaya Girls Program, which tries to help female Ethiopians through job training, language classes, and distance running. *MB Thread
- Joe Newton's York HS Remains Only School To Qualify For Every NXN Finals - 9 Straight
- From Last Week: Canadian HSer Runs Entire Rocky, Snowy, Icy 6.7 Km XC Race With One Shoe - Finishes 2nd
NCAA Regionals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Saturday: DIII Regional Results
LRC Official 2012 NCAA D1 Cross-Country Fields Announced Everything that we told you would happen did happen.
LRC Men's Results From All 9 Regions In 1 Place We give you all the team finishers plus the top 25 individual finishers for each region.
LRC Women's Results From All 9 Regions In 1 Place
LRC Projected Men's NCAA Qualifying Teams Famed message board poster "devils advocate" (okay, we just heard of him today) has run the numbers through his computer program and tells you who is in and who is out.
*LRC Projected Women's NCAA Qualifying Teams
*MB: NCAA DI Region Results
- West: Jordan Hasay Wins West Regional As UO Women Get Their First Regional Win Since 1995 Cal Poly's Laura Hollander was 2nd individual. Stanford won on the men's side with University of Portland 2nd and UO men were 4th as a team. Lawi Lalang dominated as Stephen Sambu was 2nd and Trevor Dunbar 3rd. *UO Article
- South: Florida State Women Go 1-2-3 To Absolutely Dominate As Bernard Lagat's Sister Violah Gets The Individual Win
*Florida State Men Win As Well With Jakub Zivec Taking 1st
- Northeast: Iona Men And Mitch Goose Win Northeast Regional; Columbia And Syracuse A Close 2-3
*Providence Puts 4 In The Top 8 To Win Women's Title; Abbey D'Agostino Returned From Injury To Take The Individual Win
*Interview With Abbey D'Agostino
- Great Lakes: Mohammed Ahmed Leads Wisconsin Men To Their 11th Straight Regional Title
*Michigan Women And Ohio University's Julie Accurso Take Great Lakes Regional
- Mid-Atlantic: Georgetown Men Win Mid-Atlantic Over Villanova & Princeton Temple's Travis Mahoney was first over the line.
*Penn State Women Beat Georgetown By Only 2 Points As Villanova's Nicky Akande Wins Individually
- Mid-West: Oklahoma And Oklahoma State Men Tie For Midwest Title; Tulsa 3rd By Only 2pts Tulsa's Chris O'Hare won over OSU's Girma Mecheso. Iowa State's Betsy Saina led her team to the women's crown.
- Mountain: Northern Arizona Men Win Over BYU And Colorado; Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka Wins Easily
*Weber State Women Win As Colorado Is Back In 3rd UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo beat Colorado's Shalaya Kipp.
- South Central: Texas Men, Arkansas Women Win South Central Regional Texas A&M's Henry Lelei and Texas' Marielle Hall were the individual winners.
- Southeast: Kentucky's Cally Macumber Wins As Duke Women Take Team Title
*Virginia Men Win Southeast Region; Eastern Kentucky's Soufiane Bouchikhi Beat Out UNC-Greensboro's Paul Chelimo
New Scientific Study Says Ice Baths Don't Actually Help Athletes With Recovery After Exercises Yeah, and there are also studies which say you're less likely to be injured if you run on the hard pavement instead of soft trails.
More On Athlete Contracts: LRC Jesse Williams Of Brooks Sports: Brooks Shoe Contracts Don't Have Reduction Clauses
Field Event News
- Former HJ World Champ (2003) Jacques Freitag Arrested After Running Red Light - Had Drug "Cat" On Him He is one of only 8 people to ever win world championships at youth, junior and senior levels.
- Olympic, World And European Discus Champ Robert Harting Says Britain's Lawrence Okoye Will Be Man To Beat In A Few Years Let one thing be clear. Harting is the man to beat now. Many likely don't realize he hasn't lost in 33 straight competitions dating to 2010.
- World XC Champ Imane Merga Leads Deep Field Including Dejen Gebremeskel & Vincent Chepkok At Spanish XC Race Tomorrow World XC silver medallist Linet Masai leads women's field against Mercy Cherono, Priscah Jepleting, Belaynesh Oljira and Hiwot Ayalew.
*Last Year's Euro XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Also In Field
- Ethiopian Alemitu Abera (2:23 PR) Defending Her Istanbul Marathon Title Against 2:24 Woman Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko & Turk Sultan Haydar (2:25) A slew of 2:08 runners in Megersa Bacha, Stephen Chebogut, Evans Kiplagat and Nicholas Kemboi lead men's field.
- Athens Marathon: Kenya's 2:07 Man Raymond Bett Wants To Take Back His Title From 2010 He hasn't ran that fast since 2007 and is up against Mesfin Hailu (2:09:50), Alex Kirui (2:09:38) and Japhet Korir (2:10:50).