NYCM Cancellation's Financial Aftermath
- We Disagree: UK Runners Want Their Entry Fees Back
- MB: LRC It's Simple - The Non Profit NYRR Simply Doesn't Have $12 Million + To Give Back
- NY Times Tries To Guess The Enormous Cost That Canceling Marathon Will Have On The Not For Profit NYRR Will the NYRR have to give money back to sponsors? Will they be able to make the runner's whole on their expected appearance fees?
- NY Times - Pros Won't Get Prize Money - Will They Get Paid Appearance Fees? We love the class of Wilson Kipsang, "This is terrible, but it’s part of life. I’m not angry. People suffered misfortune."
- MB: Mary Wittenberg Says The NYRR Needs About A Week To Figure Out How Much Of Its Appearance Fees It Can Honor We know some are outraged that the pros would get paid but in our mind they deserve their full appearance fees in an ideal world as they trained 1/2 to 1/3rd of the year for this race and only get a few paydays all year.
- We Disagree: WMM Declares Mary Keitany It's 2012 Champ We think the money should have been split between Keitany, Kiplagat and Cherop as Keitany's agent (also Cherop's agent) supposedly suggested since all 3 were in the hunt.
More On NYC Cancelation
- Non-Mob Mentality: Sports Illustrated Headline: "New York divided over decision to cancel marathon in wake of Sandy" A more nuanced read from friend of LRC David Epstein.
- AP: Mayor Reverses Course, Cancels Marathon
- NYTimes: "Opposition became nearly unanimous" Simply not true. The people who wanted the marathon to go on were way less vocal and many people were indifferent.
- Runners Express Shock, Anger And Relief After Months Of Training New York Times
- NYTimes: Wittenberg's Actions Met Head On By Critics
- NY Post Article That May Have Led To Cancelation Of Marathon Muckraking at its worst. Photo of NY Post cover blasting marathon Friday here.
The Cover That Ended it All
LRC Meb Keflezighi Leads The American Hopes At The 2012 ING New York City Marathon A strong American field is led by America's top marathoner, Meb Keflezighi. Meb says his preparations
for New York have gone better
than his other two marathons this year (Olympic Trials victory and 4th at the Olympics), but things have been far from perfect. What does that mean for Sunday?
LRC A Look At The Ten American Men's Contenders Not Named Meb Remember when Ritz got over a hundred grand to make his New York debut? There's a guy with PRs very similar to Ritz making his debut this year at New York and it has only made a ripple. An unsponsored American got 4th at Boston this year. Plus, Abdi Abdirahman.
- Profile Of Brett Gotcher, Who's Made A Big Change Ahead Of NYC By Moving From Altitude In Flagstaff Back Home To Santa Cruz, California He has done his last month before NYC doing marathon paced workouts at sea level.
- Amy Hastings Has Been Looking Forward To Doing NYC Since She Was In College "For the track, it really is every four years when its important. But for the marathon it's different. ... you also have these Majors that are huge every year. It's really cool to be a marathoner because you get this excitement with every race."
- American Athletes Voice Their Support For NYC And The Decision To Still Hold The Marathon Quotes from Jason Hartmann, Amy Hastings and Julie Culley.
- The Trailer Podcast: Interview With Lauren Fleshman Who Shares Her Predictions For NYC
- Past NYC Champions Alberto Salazar, Nina Kuscsik And Miki Gorman Inducted Into NYRR Hall Of Fame
NYC And Hurricane Sandy
- Mayor Bloomberg Says NYC Marathon Won't Divert Resources From Relief Effort He expects electricity to be restored to all of Manhattan by race day, freeing up "up an enormous number of police."
- Columnist Echoes Bloomberg: "This city is a city where we have to go on." "Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of trust. For most of us, there's no simple way to measure either the sanity or the success of going ahead with the race, other than to be able to say at the end that you finished. But the only way that happens is if you start."
- There Will Be Logistical Changes, But The Course Will Stay The Same Julie Culley joked "If they want to cut all the tangents, I'm fine with that."
Previous NYC News
- NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg Says The Marathon Will Go On As Scheduled "The bottom line is, some people said you shouldn't run the marathon. There are an awful lot of small businesses that depend on these people. We have to have an economy."
- LRC Mary Wittenberg Upbeat That The 2012 ING New York City Marathon Will Be Held
- USA Today Article With Reactions (Both Positive And Negative) To Mayor Bloomberg's Decision To Not Cancel The NYC Marathon Includes quotes from Meb Keflezighi and Molly Pritz. Meb said, "Hopefully we can be the sunshine of what's going on with the storm."
- NY Times: Marathon Is Set to Go On, Stirring Debate Staten Island borough president James Molinaro: "My God. What we have here is terrible, a disaster. If they want to race, let them race with themselves. This is no time for a parade."
- Sad, But Recommended Read: Father Running NYC Marathon To Honor His 7-Year-Old Daughter Who Died From Cancer She passed in June, 4 days after giving him an entry into the 2012 race as a birthday present.
- USA Today Columnist Says Mayor Bloomberg Is Making A Big Mistake Not Canceling The Marathon
- Historic Van Cortlandt Park XC Course Hit Hard By Hurricane Sandy Includes pictures of many trees down over the course that is supposed to host the Foot Locker Northeast Regional meet on November 24th.
- Hurricane Sandy Strands Transcontinental Runner Chris Nicholas In New York City He is attempting to be the first person to run across the country twice in a year.
Previous NYC Marathon News
- Kim Smith Looking To Improve On Her 5th Place NYC Finish From 2010 & 2011
- This Isn't' Even Counting The Dopers: Dozens Expected To Try And Cheat On Sunday An average of 30 to 40 runners are disqualified each year.
- Saturday: NY Times Article Reveals That Alberto Salazar Thinks The Problem With Mary Cain's Form Is Her Arm Motion And Wants Her To Increase Upper Body Strength Salazar: "There is no wasted motion in her legs. All we have to do is get her stronger from the belly button up." Her first race under him is Saturday's Dash to the Finish Line 5k.
- Mary Wittenberg Says NYC Marathon Will Go On Despite Storm "We will keep all options open with regard to making any accommodations and adjustments necessary to race day and race weekend events."
- NYRR Board Member: "There will be a marathon. I don't know how many thousands of people will run it, but I will say with confidence that 47,000 people will not be that number." This NY Times article paints the best picture of the damage and logistical problems NYRR faces in putting on the marathon.
- Mayor Says Subway Might Not Be Running Again For 4 Or 5 Days
- New York Post Claims Marathon Could Be Pushed Back From Sunday
- USA Today: Despite The Closure Of Airports, Subways, And Central Park NYC Marathon Will Go On
- Julie Culley Distracted Ahead Of Her Marathon Debut As She Knows Many Affected By Storm "I feel guilty for not making more of my day. I went on a run today, and my heart felt so heavy, it was almost like I spaced out and woke up a couple of miles later."
- OTB: Looks like NYC Marathon (not) cancelled *NYC marathon and hurricane *If they have the marathon this weekend it is going to be a BIG MISTAKE.
2012 BMW Frankfurt Marathon Is In The Books *Top 30 Results *Official MB Thread *Tracker/Leaderboard
LRC WR Holder Patrick Makau Battles Back To
Win As Meselech Melkamu
Debuts With Win On Women's Side The weather was near-freezing so the WR attempt was out at the start but Makau showed he's a champion by battling back after getting dropped several times, including before halfway. The 2nd-fastest woman in history at 10,000 had a very successful marathon debut to win the women's title.
*Pat Butcher's Frankfurt Recap Makau: "My legs weren't working today. They just weren't reacting. But I found the strength in the end."
On Eve Of WR Attempt, World Record Holder Patrick Makau Rips Report That Sort Of Linked Him To PEDs *Discuss
*Reavis: Is Doping Widespread In Kenya?
*Original "Allegations" Here Note the "allegation" is that Makau buys supplements but specifically not EPO at a place that sells EPO in Kenya.
Marathon News: Mo Farah Wants To Do 10k-Marathon Double In 2016; Alan Webb Might Run One Next Fall
- Alan Webb Has Moved Back To Portland And Says He Could Run A Marathon As Early As Next Fall He's done with middle distance and moving up. He ran the first 100 mile weeks of his life and hasn't selected a training group yet, but has run with Jerry's Schumacher's group. *MB Thread
- Alberto Salazar Talks About Mo Farah Doing The 10,000-Marathon Double In Rio 2016
- Meb Keflezighi On His 4th Place In London And NYC Next Weekend "I was pushing the last two miles or so to get into fourth place. When you hear about people [in the top three] who get caught [for drugs], I want to be the guy in fourth."
Mo Farah Gets A Visit From His Twin Brother Hassan In England
Recommended Read: For The First Time Since They Were Separated At 8 Years Old, Hassan Farah Visits Mo In England
Mo, talking about his daughter, said, "She's taught [Hassan] 'fat ass, big bum bum' because she says he's a fat version of daddy."
*Twitter Post/Photo From Mo
NYRR's Mary Wittenberg
Rec. Read: Lengthy
NY Times Piece On NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Running INC" Since taking over at the NYRR, Wittenberg has more than doubled the club's revenue. No one in our opinion has done more to promote running as a pro sport in America. Most of the criticism in the article is from those who say the NYRR has gone too far from the "grass roots" the club started with.
Wittenberg: "We're not sorry we're successful. To our critics, we say, we want you to come along."
*Mary Wittenberg To Receive Sports Leadership Award From The March Of Dimes New York Division
*MB: Wittenberg article in the NY Times
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Top 30 Results/Splits *Live Thread
Men Full Recap Kebede 2:04:38 Course Record, Ritz 9th 2:07:47 updated Tsegaye Kebede scorched the second half in 1:01:44 to run 2:04:38, a course record by nearly a minute. Dathan Ritzenhein ran a more than 2-minute PR of
2:07:47 to become the third-fastest American in history but amazingly that only got him 9th.
Women Full Recap Baysa Edges Jeptoo In A Thriller Two-time Paris champ Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo battled all the way to the line. They both raised their hands but Baysa was the winner. Renee Metivier Baillie's marathon debut was great as she's now #8 all-time in US history at 2:27:17.
LRC Ritz Runs A Big 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American And Finish 9th Dathan Ritzenhein ran a solid race to become the third-fastest American ever. That only got him 9th place in the race, but this was a big step in the right direction for Ritz.
BMW Berlin Marathon *Yahoo Photos *Video Of Berlin Finish
Even If They Fixed The Race, Athletics Kenya Boss Congratulates Mutai And Kimetto The WMM should disband its $500,000 first place gimmicky prize going forward if this is the outcome that is encouraged. LRC's recap and message boarders are quoted extensively in the article.
*Km-By-Km Splits In Berlin Updated
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Wins?* Berlin And World Marathon Major Title In Bizarre Finish (AKA Did Dennis Kimetto Let Geoffrey Mutai Win $500,000?) The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon was a masterpiece on the men's side until the final 2km. The fastest marathoner ever, Geoffrey Mutai, and his training partner and breakout star in 2012, Dennis Kimetto, were putting on an exhibition, running side-by-side with each 5km faster than the one before it and on world record pace. Then the wheels fell off and there was the sprint for the finish. The problem is the mad dash for home never occurred and that left some wondering what the hell happened? Were they both completely trashed or had Kimetto deferred to Mutai, helping him win $500,000? Aberu Kebede won on the women's side for the 2nd time in a PR of 2:20:30.
- Kimetto: "I was not expecting to finish close to him since I knew I could not beat him, but I'm delighted with today's performance."
- Race Broadcast: "If anything, it may be a pre-planned thing, you know."
- Science Of Sport's Analysis Of Berlin
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
NYCM Cancellation's Emotional Aftermath
- We Agree 100% as The NFL Would Never Cancel Its Superbowl: Pat Butcher Understands Cancellation But Doesn't Get Why Elites Didn't Race 4 Laps in Central Park "Surely it is not beyond the wit and capacity of the organisers (and the mayor) to give the immediate go-ahead for a four-lap elite race around Central Park within the coming days."
- Olympian Julie Culley - Who Got Threats on Twitter - Reacts: "I think [the marathon] is just turning into the scapegoat for the city right now." Before you hate on Culley, realize her parents may have lost their house in the storm (still haven't been allowed to see it).
- AP Column: Marathon debacle didn't have to be Columnist blames the mayor - we blame him and the twitter haters.
- Mayor Bloomberg says he fought the battle very hard to save the marathon
- Where's the Outrage? Hundreds Line Up For Ipad Mini in NYC We don't get why the consumers and the millionaires in the NFL and NBA are allowed to do business as usual in NYC but the runners are made the scapegoat?
- Runners From Around The World Voice Their Opinions on Race's Cancellation Many are staying in NY and will spend their money to try to help the city recover.
- NYC Marathon runners fill unexpected free time/react to race cancellation One Italian said it was a good thing it didn't happen in Italy or people would accuse them of stereotypical disorganization.
NYC Is NOT Sunday
2012 ING NYC Marathon Is Canceled A joint statement from Mayor Bloomberg and Mary Wittenberg said, "While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division. The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We
would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."
On The Boards: No Chance for NYC 2012, Pros Will Find Out in a Week What They Get Paid
NYC Athlete News
The Runners Start To Turn Over Their Cards
LRC Who Is The Favorite? Three Of The Men's Race Favorites Reveal Their Fitness The London marathon champ, Wilson Kipsang, talked very confidently at the press conference on Wednesday, as did the undefeated Stanley Biwott. Moses Mosop, on the other hand, said he's only 80-85% ready to go, but the last time he was that fit - he set a CR in Chicago. Renato Canova, who no longer coaches Mosop, seemingly thinks Biwott is the man to beat.
Saturday's NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k Cancelled So, too, is Friday night's Opening Ceremony.
LRC New York Road Runners Create And Give $1 Million To NYC Marathon Race To Recovery Fund; Rudin Family, ING Give Another $1.6 Million We at LRC are glad to see the race go on Sunday. The mayor made his call and the race is going forward. Sure there are critics, but if the race was cancelled there would be critics as well.
Women's Preview: The
Five Six Women That Could Win The 2012 ING New York City Marathon We break down the strong New York women's field led by favorite and Olympic champ Tiki Gelana. Will Edna Kiplagat challenge? Can Kim Smith figure out the marathon?
*In Her Debut, Japan Marathoner Kayoko Fukushi Went Out Hard With The Leaders But Crashed And Collapsed 4 Times Before Finishing She's improved since then (2:24 for 3rd in Chicago 2011) and is looking to do well in NYC.
*Last Year, Molly Pritz Was The Top American In Her Debut With A 2:31 And Is Going For Something Sub-2:28 This Year She arrived before the storm hit, making a 14 hour drive from Detroit when her flight was cancelled and has been doing workouts on the hotel treadmill. *NYRR Article On Pritz
*Kim Smith Arrives Safely In NYC; Says She Expects Changes To The Course
LRC Men's Preview: The Five Men That Could Win The 2012 ING New York City Marathon As New York turns its attention to cleaning up from Monday's devastating hurricane, it's time to break down the 2012 ING NYC Marathon pro men's field. Who will win: Wilson Kipsang? Moses Mosop? Martin Lel? We continue the tradition on LetsRun.com of discounting the chances of America's best marathoner, Meb Keflezighi.
*Moses Mosop Says He's At About 85% Fitness Due To The Achilles Injury That Kept Him Out Of The Olympics
*Kenyan Stanley Biwott Is Undefeated In His Five Races This Year And Is Hoping To Become The 10th NYC Champ To Come Out Of His Training Camp
*Moses Mosop, Wilson Kipsang, Stanley Biwott, Sharon Cherop And Edna Kiplagat "Faced A Marathon Just To Get To NYC" They took a flight from Nairobi to London to Boston and from there drove to New York, getting there Wednesday.
*Wilson Kipsang Benefited From Training With NYC CR Holder Geoffrey Mutai In His Buildup For New York
*Quotes From The NYC Marathon Elite Athletes Scrambling To Make New Travel Arrangements To Make It To NYC On Time
Other Non-NYC News: Lance Could Lose His Olympic Medal
- What Goes Around Comes Around: Irsh Journalist Launches Criminal Action Against UCI President Pat McQuaid & Hein Verbruggen The UCI, McQuaid and Verbruggen had originally launched a lawsuit against Kimmage but last week suspended it.
- IOC Looking Into Possibility Of Stripping Lance Armstrong Of His Bronze Medal From Sydney 2000 The issue is the 8-year statute of limitations law.
- NCAA Sets Future Sites For Cross-Country, Indoor And Outdoor Championships For Division I, III, And III The DI 2014 indoor championships will be held in Albuquerque, NM, which will be the first time the meet has ever been held at altitude.
- USATF Announces 2012 Hall Of Fame Class One is Pat McDonald, who is recognized as the oldest Olympic champion in history, winning the 56-pound weight throw at the 1920 Games at the age of 42.
- IAAF Profiles Italian Triple Jumpers Fabrizio Donato & Daniele Greco Who Finished 3rd And 4th In London Donato is retiring and will pass down the torch to Greco to continue Italy's TJ success.
- Uganda: Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Will Get Back To Work This Month By Helping Uganda Prisons Try And Defend Their Inter-Forces Games Title
- Ireland: Athletics Ireland Head Cross-Country Manager Anne Keenan-Buckley Quits She said she resigned "because of my disillusionment with the high performance management and the direction it is taking."
- Kenya: Patrick Makau's Frankfurt Victory Gets Him Nominated For Kenya's Safaricom Sportsman Of The Year Award Other nominees include David Rudisha, Ezekiel Kemboi, Julius Yego (javelin thrower), Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang.
- Japan: Japan's #1 Female Marathoner Kentaro Nakamoto (6th In London) Gets Back On The Roads With A Stage Win At The Grand Tour Kyushu This is an eight-day, 50-stage, 732.2 km ekiden around Japan's southernmost main island of Kyushu.
- Jamaica: TV Interview With Jamaican Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
- IAAF Online Diary: Veronica Campbell Brown Says She's Resumed Training
NYC Marathon Updates *MB: NYC marathon and hurricane
- Wilson Kipsang Says He Feels Completely Recovered From The Olympic Marathon And Is Ready To Go For NYC This Sunday Kipsang is mostly self-coached as he takes advice from experts such as Renato Canova, but then listens to his body and modifies things as needed.
- Geoffrey Mutai Has Already Won The Men's World Marathon Majors Title, But NYC Will Decide Who Wins For The Women It's between Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplagat and Sharon Cherop. Keitany is in the lead, but not racing so if Kiplagat or Cherop win they get the overall title; if they finish 2nd or worse then Keitany wins.
- WSJ: NYC Marathon Lead Car Serves As An Effective Recruiting Tool To Move Shorter Distance Elites Up To The Longer Distance It worked on Kara Goucher, who said, "It literally changed the course of my career." Luke Puskedra and Neely Spence are riding this year.
- Mary Wittenberg Doesn't Expect The Storm To Have Any Effect On Sunday's Race
- NYC Marathon Runners Being Given The Option To Defer Their Entry Until Next Year If They Cannot Travel Due To The Hurricane However, they will have to repay their entry fee again for 2013.
- ESPN Broadcasters Excited To Be Announcing The NYC Marathon On Live TV For The First Time Since 1993
RW Q&A With Deena Kastor On Coming Back From Recent Injuries To Win The LA Half She also talks about only running competitively for 1 or 2 more years and wanting to win one more major marathon like Boston or NYC before she retires. She and her husband are taking over the Mammoth Track Club and she's looking forward to coaching other elite runners in the future.
NCAA XC Conference Action Is This Weekend *All Results
On The Sabbath: Big 10: *Results *Discuss
*Wisconsin Men Take 14th Straight Big 10 Title IU's Zachary Mayhew won over Wisco's Maverick Darling and Mohammed Ahemed. NCAA 1,500 champ Andy Bayer was 4th.
*Michigan Takes Big 10 Women Title Sara Kroll won individually.
Saturday: PAC-12: Men: #2 Colorado Men Comfortably Defeat #3 Stanford And #8 Oregon That's 2 for 2 in the PAC-12 for Colorado. Arizona went 1-2 as expected but finished 7th. *Boulder Daily Camera *Results
Women: Jordan Hasay Leads #3 Oregon To Win In The Toughest Conference In The Country Over #5 Arizona, #4 Stanford & #6 Washington *Results Hasay was the runner-up as Stanford's Kathy Kroeger got the win. Hard to believe it's Oregon's first conference win since 1995.
*MB: Discuss *Post-Race Hasay Video
Big 12: Oklahoma State Men Dominate For 5th Straight Title Five in the top 8 for OSU. *Results *Discuss
Women: National #2 Iowa State Cruises *Results
Heps *Results *HepsTrack.com
*#7 Cornell Women Roll By Going 1-2-3 Up Front Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith, coach of the Big Red.
*#23 Princeton "Upsets" #10 Columbia & Wins In A Rout As Vig Gets Heps Title #1 We write "upsets" as it's hard to call it an upset when you are winning for the 6th time in 7 years and 4 of your top 5 broke 9:00 in the 3,200 or steeple in HS and you have 8 sub-9:00 high school 3,200 guys on the roster. *Heps 2012 Highlight Video
Men: #22 V. Tech Men Upset #14 FSU And #18 Duke To Win 1st-Ever Title The unranked UVA men got 2nd.
*#1 FSU Women Win
Patriot: Congrats To The Lehigh Men, Who Claim 1st-Ever Title - Navy Women Win
Recommended Read: Blogger Incredibly Previews/Predicts Virtually All The Men's XC Conferences
Two Biggies Were Friday - SEC & Big East
Big East: *Results
MB: Syracuse Men Win For 4th Time In 5 Years / GTown Women Win As Nova Goes 1-3 But Finishes 4th
*With Syracuse Going To ACC Next Year, Redshirt Frosh Champ Martin Hehir Will Go Down In History As Only Undefeated Big East Meet Runner In History
*SEC Report: Arkansas Men And Florida Women Win SEC Cross-Country Titles Texas A&M's Henry Lelei won the individual race in 23:29.95 as Kentucky's Cally Macumber won for the women in 20:23.29.
*Quick Q&A With Henry Lelei Asked what sport he'd play if he wasn't a runner: "I would like to play golf; you don't use a lot of energy. You just walk around and hit [the ball]."
MB: #30 Florida Women Upset #12 Arkansas As Heavily-Favored #9 Arkanas Men Win
MB: SEC distance stock skyrockets / xc predictions
MB: Anyone got a live results link to the SEC XC champs this morning?
MB: Who is timing the SEC meet
Who's The #1 Team In The Land? The Coaches Say Okla. State, You Say It's Colorado
LRC Mark Wetmore's Colorado Buffaloes, Florida State Women The New #1 In The LetsRun.com NCAA Cross-Country Polls Florida State is shooting for its first national title and Colorado Buffaloes hope to get back on top for the first time since 2006. Plus we have conference predictions for the major conferences.
Memo To All LetsRun.com Fans - You Now Have As Many Tour de France Titles As Lance Armstrong
Cycling Feds Strip Lance Armstrong Of 7 TDF Titles & Bans Him For Life
UCI will strip him of his seven Tour de France wins. Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten in cycling."
Insurance Company Wants Its Money Back "Mr. Armstrong is no longer the official winner of any Tour de France races and as a result it is inappropriate and improper for him to retain any bonus payments made by SCA."
Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO, And Other Drug News
- NY Times: Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO
a perfect example of how cheating doesn't just happen at the top level of the sport. There are guys who ride under the radar and take away prize money from other deserving clean athletes. And his arguments that he ran the races clean because the EPO was "out of his system" is ridiculous. Doping can benefit you for years.
*Hesch Writes Public Apology For Doping *RW Article Detailing How Hesch Initially Denied Doping
*MB: Christian Hesch doping article in the NY Times/Competitor.com
- Armstrong's Lawyer Challenges Accusers To Take Lie Detector Test, But Then Says Lance "Might" Be Willing To Take One His lawyer said the only reason Armstrong would refuse a lie detector test was because he had "moved on." Yeah, okay.
2012 World Half Is In The Books *Results *MB: World Half Thread
Zersenay Tadese Dominates World Half - Wins Record 5th Title Tadese put on a show at the 5k mark and won by 32 seconds.
*LRC US Men, Led By Top-20 Showings By Augustus Maiyo And Luke Puskedra, Finish 4th
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Moves From 16th At 15km To 8th At Finish
*Amateur Kawauchi Is Top Finisher & Japan Running News Brett Larner Rips The Entire Japanese System As A Result How can a self-trained guy who has won two marathons in six weeks beat the best of the Japanese corporations?
Ethiopian Women Stun Kenya And Win Individual And Team Titles
The Kenyan women had the five best times in the field but someone forgot to tell that to the Ethiopians, who went 1-2 to win as Meseret Hailu (68:55) edged Feyse Tadese (68:56).
*LRC Shalane Flanagan Falls Off Early - Fades To Disappointing 25th Place Finish As US Women Finish 5th Flanagan went out in the top 10 at a sub-70 pace but ended up in 74:41 as just the third US finisher.
Recommended Read: 27 Years Later, Twin Cities Marathon Record Of 2:10:05 Still Belongs To A Single Father Of Three Who Had A Full-Time Job & Didn't Go College As He Wasn't Fast Enough For A Scholarship
LRC "Non-Running" Running Photo Of The Week
LRC LetsRun License Plate Spotted In Texas: What Does It Mean? A car (Porsche?) in Texas has been spotted with a 26.2 sticker and a LTS RUN license plate. We assume the owner has run a marathon, but more importantly ... do they come to LetsRun.com? Of course they should, but we want your help in unraveling this mystery.
The Greatest 800m Ever?
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
Weekend Non NYCM News
- Sad News RIP Dyestat: John Dye Was Unable To Get New Funding So Dyestat Will Exist As An Archive Web-Site Only (To Preserve Its History) Running site after running site - whether it's dyestat, trackshark, tnfmedia, trackandfield.com - continue to bite the dust but LetsRun.com continues to survive and grow. Thank you!!!
- Seoul Marathon Is Sunday - Preview: 2:04:27 Man James Kwambai Is Back To Defend Crown
- 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Returns To Form With Win in Kenyan XC Meet David Rudisha's teammate, Moses Mukono, won the jr boys race at Peter Matelong won the senior men's.
- Andrew Kastor - Deena's Hubby - Taking Over Coaching Duties For Mammoth TC; Meb K. Moving To San Diego
- Richmond Alum Rips Board For Eliminating Soccer and Track - The #1 and #2 Teams in Terms of GPA At Richmond A fat-cat board member wanted the school to have men's lacrosse but it would be really expensive to add a men's sport and a corresponding women's sport to comply with Title IX so he just axed soccer and track.*Text of Alums' Speech
- Konica Minolta and Universal Entertainment Win East Japan Corporate Ekiden Championships Titles
Big Non-NYC News: Tokyo Joins The World Marathon Majors
- Tokyo Marathon Officially Joins The World Marathon Majors
- Recommended Read: Great Article On The 1962 San Jose Cross-Country Team, Which Was The First Racially Integrated Team To Ever Win A Division I NCAA Title Coach Dean Miller: "I would always say, 'I don't care if they're black, white, striped or polka dot. All I'm interested in is how fast they can run, how far they can run, and whether they're willing to commit physically and mentally to being a champion.'"
- RW Article On Terrence Mahon's Move To UK Athletics And And All The Changes Going On With The The Mammoth Track Club A lot of quotes from Deena Kastor, who says that Mahon will continue coaching elites already in the Mammoth Track Club.
- Kenyan Athletes Win: Kenyan Revenue Authority Says Athletes Will Not Be Taxed Twice On Earnings Abroad So they will face no Kenyan income tax if they were already taxed by the country where they won their prize money.
Highlights From Non-NYC News
- WADA Says The Best Athletes In The World Train In The High Altitude Regions In Kenya Without Ever Being Subject To Blood Tests This goes for Kenyans and foreigners who go there to train. WADA says it's due to logistical issues that no blood tests are taken, which means athletes training in Kenya can use EPO, HGH, and blood transfusions with very little risk of being caught.
- One We Missed: Cal Poly's True Freshman Laura Hollander Named USATF Athlete Of Week For Winning Big West Conference Champs With A CR 19:12.6 (6k) Hollander led wire-to-wire, breaking the CR by 45 seconds. *Results
*MB: Laura Hollander 19:12 6K!!!
- Terrence Mahon Hired By UK Athletics No word on what this means for Morgan Uceny and the other athletes he coaches.
*MB: Terrance Mahon to UK Athletics
At Least Track Is Popular Somewhere: In The US We're Excited When Track Gets On TV; Meanwhile, The European Championships Drew 156 Million Viewers
- Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness On Some Running-Related Science Topics "As a whole, we're probably a nation of over recoverers, if that's even a word. For instance, do we really need to cram the message that we need carbs post run after every run?"
- TrackFocus Q&A WIth Alex Kosinski On The Start To Her Post-Collegiate Career With The OTC
- D1 National Rankings: Guy Who Previewed Every Men's Conference Meet Publishes His Own National Top 30 And Reviews Each Team
- Coaches' Rankings: Updated DI XC Rankings: Oklahoma State Men & Florida State Women Still Ranked #1
*DIII Regional Rankings *DIII National Rankings
- Hilarious Video Parody: Hitler's Running Injury Downfall Definitely worth a watch.
- Run For Your Life, Fred Lebow Documentary, To Be On ESPN Classic This Weekend
- US Marathoners Might Still Be Far Behind The Top Kenyans/Ethiopians, But It Could Always Be Worse Germany is excited that they actually have two guys sub-2:14 this year.
NYC Marathon News
- Full Professional Fields For 2012 ING New York City Marathon Released In the women's field, Olympic champion Tiki Gelana will be the heavy favorite. On the men'sside, London Champion, Olympic bronze medallist, and world's #2 on a certified course, Wilson Kipsang, should be a slight favorite over 2:03:06 man Moses Mosop. Meb Keflezighi, fourth at the Olympics, leads the American charge.
- Profile On Veteran Amputees Who Are Running The 2012 ING NYC Marathon
- On Not Doing NYC: Q&A With Ryan Hall: Says He's Healthy And Talks About His Upcoming Trip To Train In Kenya And Gives Some Insights Into His Typical Marathon Training
- Amy Hastings And Kim Smith Talk About Training And Living Together In Providence Ahead Of The NYC Marathon
- In-Depth Interview With Molly Pritz, Who Was First American Woman At NYC Last Year She wants to run 2:26-2:28 in NYC.
- Q&A With Meb's Brother/Agent Hawi Keflezighi
Usain Bolt Makes SNL Cameo During Vice Pres. Debate Skit *Article
The NYC Marathon Returns To Live Television
ESPN Going All Out On Coverage Of ING NYC Marathon It's a fact sporting events of signifcance are shown on live national TV (or tape delay prime time in case of the Olympics). The ING NYC Marathon is back on ESPN2 this year and ESPN2 is going all out on its coverage announcing today that Sports Center anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm will lead the broadcast. With the way ESPN works, this also means you'll likely see some pre-race and post-race coverage. Tim Hutchings and others on the broadcast as well. Unfortunately no Toni Reavis.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.