ING NYC Marathon Is Sunday
LRC Men's Preview: The Five Men That Could Win The 2012 ING New York City Marathon As New York turns its attention to cleaning up from Monday's devastating
hurricane, it's time to break down the 2012 ING NYC Marathon pro men's field. Who will win: Wilson Kipsang? Moses Mosop? Martin Lel? We continue the tradition on LetsRun.com of discounting the chances of America's best marathoner, Meb Keflezighi.
*Kim Smith Looking To Improve On Her 5th Place NYC Finish From 2010 & 2011
*This Isn't' Even Counting The Dopers: Dozens Expected To Try And Cheat On Sunday An average of 30 to 40 runners are disqualified each year.
*Saturday: NY Times Article Reveals That Alberto Salazar Thinks The Problem With Mary Cain's Form Is Her Arm Motion And Wants Her To Increase Upper Body Strength Salazar: “There is no wasted motion in her legs. All we have to do is get her stronger from the belly button up.” Her first race under him is Saturday's Dash to the Finish Line 5k.
Storm Updates: NYC Marathon Still On
- Mary Wittenberg Says NYC Marathon Will Go On Despite Storm "We will keep all options open with regard to making any accommodations and adjustments necessary to race day and race weekend events."
- NYRR Board Member: “There will be a marathon. I don’t know how many thousands of people will run it, but I will say with confidence that 47,000 people will not be that number." This NY Times article paints the best picture of the damage and logistical problems NYRR faces in putting on the marathon
- Mayor Says Subway Might Not Be Running Again For 4 Or 5 Days
- New York Post Claims Marathon Could Be Pushed Back From Sunday
- USA Today: Despite The Closure Of Airports, Subways, And Central Park NYC Marathon Will Go On
- Julie Culley Distracted Ahead Of Her Marathon Debut As She Knows Many Affected By Storm "I feel guilty for not making more of my day. I went on a run today, and my heart felt so heavy, it was almost like I spaced out and woke up a couple of miles later."
- OTB: Looks like NYC Marathon (not) cancelled *NYC marathon and hurricane *If they have the marathon this weekend it is going to be a BIG MISTAKE.
2012 BMW Frankfurt Marathon Is In The Books *Top 30 Results *Official MB Thread *Tracker/Leaderboard
LRC WR Holder Patrick Makau Battles Back To
Win As Meselech Melkamu
Debuts With Win On Women's Side The weather was near-freezing so the WR attempt was out at the start but Makau showed he's a champion by battling back after getting dropped several times, including before halfway. The 2nd-fastest woman in history at 10,000 had a very successful marathon debut to win the women's title.
*Pat Butcher's Frankfurt Recap Makau: "My legs weren't working today. They just weren't reacting. But I found the strength in the end."
On Eve Of WR Attempt, World Record Holder Patrick Makau Rips Report That Sort Of Linked Him To PEDs *Discuss
*Reavis: Is Doping Widespread In Kenya?
*Original "Allegations" Here Note the "allegation" is that Makau buys supplements but specifically not EPO at a place that sells EPO in Kenya.
More Results From The Weekend
- Augustus Maiyo And Ethiopia's Hirut Guangul Win Windy Marine Corps Marathon In 2:20:20 And 2:42:03 Maiyo's World Class Athlete Program teammates started the race with him, going through the half on pace for 2:15, but all eventually faded: Kenneth Foster (2nd - 2:22:39), Robert Cheseret (7th - 2:27:52), Joseph Chirlee (12th - 2:33:33), and Kyle Heath (25th - 2:41:19). *Full Results
- After Struggling For Years In Kenya To Try To Earn A Living As A Runner, Wesley Kibet Finally Put Together The Race Of His Life To Win In Standart Nairobi Marathon He went to Germany for some road races in 2009, but was dropped by his manager after they didn't turn out well. This race won him $20,516. *Top Ten Results *Nairobi Half Marathon Results
- Edwin Kipyego (58:16) & Mercy Kibarus (1:07:58) Win Marseille-Cassis 20k In Windy Conditions
- Will Ferrell Highlights Celebrities Who Ran The Rock 'N' Roll Los Angeles Half Marathon
- Christophe Lemaitre Runs 10.15 In Very Cold Conditions For His Last Race Of 2012
- NCAA Rankings: Last DI Regional Cross-Country Rankings Of The Year
More Sunday Action
- Bupa Great South 10-Miler: Stephen Mokoka And Jo Pavey Win Bupa Great South Run Mokoka ran 46:40, outsprinting Spain's Ayad Lamdassem and Olympic bronze medalist Tarkiu Bekele in the last 250m. Abel
Kirui fell back to 6th (47:12), Canada's Reid Coolsaet was 8th & Ireland's Alistair Cragg 9th. Pavey dominated the women's race in 53:01 (42 seconds
ahead of 2nd); Ethiopia's former World Half Marathon champ Berhane Adere was 3rd.
- Will Ferrell Runs LA Half: Fernando Cabada Wins RnR Los Angeles Half Marathon In 1:04:56 For the women, Deena Kastor led through 9 miles, but was passed and beaten by 32 seconds by Mary Akor, who won in 1:14:19. Also running was 51-year-old Peter Magill (4th in 1:10:19) and headlining the celebrities was Will Ferrell running 2:03:50.
- Stanchart Nairobi International Marathon: Wesley Kibet (2:10:40) And Salome Jerono (2:26:41) Win In Nairobi Kibet won by 10 seconds over Abraham Keter. Mathew Kiprotich won the men's half marathon in 1:02:19 while World Half bronze medallist Pascalia Jepkorir won for the women
- Venice: Philemon Kisang Wins With A 2:17:00 In Horrible Conditions
- David Kemboi Kiyeng Wins Chosunilbo Chuncheon International Marathon In 2:10:05 Over Nickson Kurgat (2:10:39) They were way off the goal of Stanley Biwott's 2:07:03 CR.
- Rumors That Seb Coe Could Win Order Of Merit, Britain's Highest Honor You are chosen by the Queen and it is limited to 24 members at any one time.
- Authoritarian Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko Has Fired His Sports Deputy And Sports Minister Following A "Disastrous Showing" At London 2012 Belarus only won 12 medals compared to the 25 "promised."
- Read An Extract From Valerie Adams Autobiography Where She Talks About The Obstacles She Overcame To Become An Olympic Champion
- Running Times 2012 Year In Review: "The Kenyan Brand Is Takign A Beating"
- Kenyan Website Headline: "Kenya's Jelimo, Makau Linked To Doping Substances" AK head Isaiah Kiplagat: "There is nothing new in the claims and we have read them on the internet and we have nothing to say and once we have, we shall let you know."
- One Of The UK Olympic Medals Stolen At A Nightclub Has Been Anonymously Returned However, the other stolen medal is still missing, although the rower's jacket which contained the medal was returned.
- Mo Farah And Jessica Ennis Named Britain's Athletes Of The Year
- Mansfield Athletic Club Faces Being Evicted From The Track They've Used For 54 Years Due To Dispute With Landownder Trustees
Marathon News: Mo Farah Wants To Do 10k-Marathon Double In 2016; Alan Webb Might Run One Next Fall
- Alan Webb Has Moved Back To Portland And Says He Could Run A Marathon As Early As Next Fall He's done with middle distance and moving up. He ran the first 100 mile weeks of his life and hasn't selected a training group yet, but has run with Jerry's Schumacher's group. *MB Thread
- Alberto Salazar Talks About Mo Farah Doing The 10,000-Marathon Double In Rio 2016
- Meb Keflezighi On His 4th Place In London And NYC Next Weekend "I was pushing the last two miles or so to get into fourth place. When you hear about people [in the top three] who get caught [for drugs], I want to be the guy in fourth."
Mekhissi-Benabadd Is In Trouble Again: He Assaulted A High School Director Because He Didn't Want To Hire His Brother (translated from French) This is the guy who got in a fight with Mehdi Baala after a DL meet. He now faces a possible suspension.
*MB: Mahiedine Mekhissi Benabbad in trouble again...
Big News: All Charges Against Two-Time Olympic Steeple Champ Ezekiel Kemboi Are Dropped After Woman Voluntarily Withdraws Her Complaint She says no money exchanged hands
but she simply
felt ostracized for bringing charges against a Kenyan hero. "I want to go back to university to pursue journalism and I have forgiven Kemboi out of my own free will.
I have not been compensated whatsoever but I've just decided to forgive
More: *Capital Sport *The Daily Nation *The Standard
Vault: LRC Relive Kemboi's Historic 2nd Olympic Win Here - Is He The Greatest Ever?
*LRC 2011 World Champs Win Was His 3rd Global Title
Sunday Results: Amsterdam, Birmingham, Des Moines, US Army Ten Miler, Gyeongju
- Wilson Chebet Runs 2:05:41 At Amsterdam To Break The CR On A Windy Day Ethiopians Bentayehu Assefa (2:06:22), Abrha Gebretsadik (2:06:23), and Feisa Bekele (2:06:26)
a close 2-4 all making their debut. Dutchman
Michel Butter ran 2:09:58. For the women World Half Marathon champ Meseret Hailu also
beat the CR to win in 2:21:09 as Eunice Kirwa was second (2:21:41) and Caroline Kilel DNFed.
*Michel Buttler Is Just The 5th European Under 2:10 This Year
- Micah Kogo Outkicks Abera Kuma By Two Seconds In A Thrilling Sprint To The Finish To Win Bupa Great Birmingham Run In 1:00:17 WR holder and World Half Marathon champ Zersenay Tadese was third in 1:01:06. All three broke B's 1:01:29 CR. Portugal's Sara Moreira won the woman's race over Ethiopia's former World Half Marathon champion Berhane Adere in 1:12:49.
- 2:05:37 Man Wilson Loyanai Wins Gyeongju Marathon In A Course Record Breaking 2:06:46
Mo Farah Gets A Visit From His Twin Brother Hassan In England
Recommended Read: For The First Time Since They Were Separated At 8 Years Old, Hassan Farah Visits Mo In England
Mo, talking about his daughter, said, "She's taught [Hassan] 'fat ass, big bum bum' because she says he's a fat version of daddy."
*Twitter Post/Photo From Mo
Kenyan News: Brother O'Connell Gets Honored
Colm William O'Connell Given An Honorary Doctorate Degree From Dublin City University For His "Unrivaled Contribution To Athletics In Kenya"
*Video: Brother Colm O'Connell And David Rudisha Talk To Junior Irish Athletes At Athletics Ireland Squad Day Great quotes from O'Connell, such as, "You must learn to control yourself. Athletics is not just about going out and training and flailing around a track or a field or a cross country course. You must think about your training, think about what you're doing."
*Irish Examiner Article On Brother O'Connell
US & Worldwide Distance News
Alberto Salazar, Nina Kuscsik And Miki Gorman To Be Inducted Into NYRR Hall Of Fame Maybe we're biased, but Alberto should have been inducted by himself this year. Way more a legend than Kuscsik and Gorman. Plus if there is an annual induction ceremony, with 2-3 people a year, soon they'll be out of people.
- Jerry Schumacher Q&A: "Just because you are a great 10,000-meter runner or half marathoner, it doesn't mean you are going to adapt to the marathon ..."
- American Steepler Dan Huling: "It's pretty hard to swallow that I'd gotten in the top three (in the US) in every other year but 2008 and 2012."
- Molly Huddle Brief Chat She's not sure she can break 14:30.
- David Rudisha Wants To Help Build A Stadium In His Hometown Of Transmara
- NY Times Looks At Jogglers (People Who Jog And Run Marathons At The Same Time)
- Asics To Sponsor Foot Locker Cross-Country This Year
- Bill Rodgers Running Center To Close
NYRR's Mary Wittenberg
Rec. Read: Lengthy
NY Times Piece On NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Running INC" Since taking over at the NYRR, Wittenberg has more than doubled the club's revenue. No one in our opinion has done more to promote running as a pro sport in America. Most of the criticism in the article is from those who say the NYRR has gone too far from the "grass roots" the club started with.
Wittenberg: "We're not sorry we're successful. To our critics, we say, we want you to come along."
*Mary Wittenberg To Receive Sports Leadership Award From The March Of Dimes New York Division
*MB: Wittenberg article in the NY Times
Ridiculously Deep Fields Set For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Full Elite Start Lists
Elite Field Announced For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k And Includes 17 Olympians Men: Chris Solinsky, Alan Webb, Matt Tegenkamp, Lopez Lomong, Evan Jager, Ben True, Andrew Bumbalough, Chris Derrick, Luke Puskedra, Cam Levins, Leonard Korir and German Fernandez. Women: Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Molly Huddle, Jen Rhines, Lisa Uhl, Kim Conley, Sheila Reid and Neely Spence. *Full Elite Start Lists
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Top 30 Results/Splits *Live Thread
Men Full Recap Kebede 2:04:38 Course Record, Ritz 9th 2:07:47 updated Tsegaye Kebede scorched the second half in 1:01:44 to run 2:04:38, a course record by nearly a minute. Dathan Ritzenhein ran a more than 2-minute PR of
2:07:47 to become the third-fastest American in history but amazingly that only got him 9th.
Women Full Recap Baysa Edges Jeptoo In A Thriller Two-time Paris champ Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo battled all the way to the line. They both raised their hands but Baysa was the winner. Renee Metivier Baillie's marathon debut was great as she's now #8 all-time in US history at 2:27:17.
LRC Ritz Runs A Big 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American And Finish 9th Dathan Ritzenhein ran a solid race to become the third-fastest American ever. That only got him 9th place in the race, but this was a big step in the right direction for Ritz.
BMW Berlin Marathon *Yahoo Photos *Video Of Berlin Finish
Even If They Fixed The Race, Athletics Kenya Boss Congratulates Mutai And Kimetto The WMM should disband its $500,000 first place gimmicky prize going forward if this is the outcome that is encouraged. LRC's recap and message boarders are quoted extensively in the article.
*Km-By-Km Splits In Berlin Updated
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Wins?* Berlin And World Marathon Major Title In Bizarre Finish (AKA Did Dennis Kimetto Let Geoffrey Mutai Win $500,000?) The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon was a masterpiece on the men's side until the final 2km. The fastest marathoner ever, Geoffrey Mutai, and his training partner and breakout star in 2012, Dennis Kimetto, were putting on an exhibition, running side-by-side with each 5km faster than the one before it and on world record pace. Then the wheels fell off and there was the sprint for the finish. The problem is the mad dash for home never occurred and that left some wondering what the hell happened? Were they both completely trashed or had Kimetto deferred to Mutai, helping him win $500,000? Aberu Kebede won on the women's side for the 2nd time in a PR of 2:20:30.
- Kimetto: "I was not expecting to finish close to him since I knew I could not beat him, but I'm delighted with today's performance."
- Race Broadcast: "If anything, it may be a pre-planned thing, you know."
- Science Of Sport's Analysis Of Berlin
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
Olympic News: 2012 Through 2016
- Mo Farah Is Not So Sure About Doing The 10,000/Marathon Double At Rio 2016 "I read something. [Salazar] hasn't told me. I don't know. I just saw it in the papers that he wants me to do the 10,000 and the marathon. I don't know if that's possible. ... He's the boss and I just have to get on with it I guess."
- NFL In London: The NFL Could End Up Being The Primary Tennant Of The London Olympic Stadium Four team owners came and met with the mayor over the weekend.
- PV WR Holder Yelena Isinbayeva Says She Will Not Retire, But Continue Through Rio 2016 And Wants To Win Her 3rd Gold Medal There
- Another Belarussian Shot Putter Approached Valerie Adams After The Olympics (Before Nadzeya Ostapchuk Tested Positive) & Congratulated Her On Victory
- Did You Miss The Olympics? London 2012 Olympic Games DVD Available For £29.99
- BBC Looks At New UK Head Coach Peter Eriksson Who Said, "We have in front of us a golden generation going forward to 2016" wMakes comparison of his personality to Charles van Commenee and by the sounds of it there might be less interesting/conflict-filled news in the British media.
- UK's 400 Olympic Silver Medallist Christine Ohuruogu Talks About Her Decision Not To Retire After 2012"For me to retire, I'd have to be bored with what I'm doing - and I'm not."
UK Play Based Spain's Highly Controversial 2000 Paralympic Episode Where They Fielded A Basketball Team W/ Players Pretending To Be Intellectually Disabled
- The Queen's Role In The Olympic Games Opening Ceremony Was Such A Closely Guarded Secret That Not Even The Royal Family Knew Seb Coe talks about the reactions of her family when they saw the video.
- Designers Of London Olympic Stadium May End Up Remodelling Kasumigaoka National Stadium In Tokyo(Which Will Be The 2020 Olympic Stadium If Tokyo Wins)
- Prince Charles Performs 'Mobot' To Honor Farah And The Other GB 2012 Olympians
- Former Olympic Race Walk Champ Alex Schwazer Questioned By Italian Olympic Committee After Being Kicked Out Of London Games For Doping He's annoyed that he's getting more attention as a doper than he did when he won gold in Beijing. Serves him right.
Other International News
- They'll Never Learn: AK Will Again Use Pre-Championship Camps For Athletes Competing For A World Championships Team Spot In The 5k Or 10k "Isaiah Kiplagat said the AK will "select the candidates early next year before putting them through a program to be managed by local coaches."
- Break's Over: Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Back In Training
- The Kenyan Cross Country Season Gets Going This Week In Nyahururu With The First Meet In The Commercial Bank Athletics Kenya 7-Part Series The series ends with a meet on Feb. 16th which is when the Kenyan team for the 2013 World XC Champs will be chosen.
- Reid Coolsaet Will Lead Canadian Team For Japan's Nov. 23rd Chiba Ekiden
NYC Marathon Updates *MB: NYC marathon and hurricane
- Wilson Kipsang Says He Feels Completely Recovered From The Olympic Marathon And Is Ready To Go For NYC This Sunday Kipsang is mostly self-coached as he takes advice from experts such as Renato Canova, but then listens to his body and modifies things as needed.
- Geoffrey Mutai Has Already Won The Men's World Marathon Majors Title, But NYC Will Decide Who Wins For The Women It's between Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplagat and Sharon Cherop. Keitany is in the lead, but not racing so if Kiplagat or Cherop win they get the overall title; if they finish 2nd or worse then Keitany wins.
- WSJ: NYC Marathon Lead Car Serves As An Effective Recruiting Tool To Move Shorter Distance Elites Up To The Longer Distance It worked on Kara Goucher, who said, "It literally changed the course of my career." Luke Puskedra and Neely Spence are riding this year.
- Mary Wittenberg Doesn't Expect The Storm To Have Any Effect On Sunday's Race
- NYC Marathon Runners Being Given The Option To Defer Their Entry Until Next Year If They Cannot Travel Due To The Hurricane However, they will have to repay their entry fee again for 2013.
- ESPN Broadcasters Excited To Be Announcing The NYC Marathon On Live TV For The First Time Since 1993
RW Q&A With Deena Kastor On Coming Back From Recent Injuries To Win The LA Half She also talks about only running competitively for 1 or 2 more years and wanting to win one more major marathon like Boston or NYC before she retires. She and her husband are taking over the Mammoth Track Club and she's looking forward to coaching other elite runners in the future.
Japan Distance News
- Arata Fujiwara Going For Japan's 10-Year-Old National Marathon Record (2:06:16) At February's Tokyo Marathon
- Kayoko Fukushi Leads Team Wacoal To West Japan Corporate Women's Ekiden CR
- Ritsumeikan University Wins Record-Setting Seventh National University Women's Ekiden Championship Title
US Olympians In The News
- Interesting: Ryan Bailey's Coach Beats IRS In Tax Court Bailey's Coach John Dalton Parks III was taken to court for posting over $150,000 in losses over a nine-year period under a category called "hobby loss" where his hobby was coaching.
- Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison's Move From Track To Bobsled Isn't As Unusual As You Might Think Article looks at others who have made the move from track to snow. One unsuccessful story from this year was Beijing Olympic heptathlon silver medallist Hyleas Fountain.
- Lengthy PBS Video Interview With Allyson Felix
- Quick Q&A With Jenn Suhr
Good Read: Phil Hersh Piece On Al Carius, Who In 47 Years Has Coached North Central To 14 DIII National XC Titles & Was Named "Coach Of The Century" Washington University coach Jeff Stiles: "It's not like he is some mad scientist or amazing guru. Al is passionate, and people follow passion."
NCAA XC Conference Action Is This Weekend *All Results
On The Sabbath: Big 10: *Results *Discuss
*Wisconsin Men Take 14th Straight Big 10 Title IU's Zachary Mayhew won over Wisco's Maverick Darling and Mohammed Ahemed. NCAA 1,500 champ Andy Bayer was 4th.
*Michigan Takes Big 10 Women Title Sara Kroll won individually.
Saturday: PAC-12: Men: #2 Colorado Men Comfortably Defeat #3 Stanford And #8 Oregon That's 2 for 2 in the PAC-12 for Colorado. Arizona went 1-2 as expected but finished 7th. *Boulder Daily Camera *Results
Women: Jordan Hasay Leads #3 Oregon To Win In The Toughest Conference In The Country Over #5 Arizona, #4 Stanford & #6 Washington *Results Hasay was the runner-up as Stanford's Kathy Kroeger got the win. Hard to believe it's Oregon's first conference win since 1995.
*MB: Discuss *Post-Race Hasay Video
Big 12: Oklahoma State Men Dominate For 5th Straight Title Five in the top 8 for OSU. *Results *Discuss
Women: National #2 Iowa State Cruises *Results
Heps *Results *HepsTrack.com
*#7 Cornell Women Roll By Going 1-2-3 Up Front Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith, coach of the Big Red.
*#23 Princeton "Upsets" #10 Columbia & Wins In A Rout As Vig Gets Heps Title #1 We write "upsets" as it's hard to call it an upset when you are winning for the 6th time in 7 years and 4 of your top 5 broke 9:00 in the 3,200 or steeple in HS and you have 8 sub-9:00 high school 3,200 guys on the roster. *Heps 2012 Highlight Video
Men: #22 V. Tech Men Upset #14 FSU And #18 Duke To Win 1st-Ever Title The unranked UVA men got 2nd.
*#1 FSU Women Win
Patriot: Congrats To The Lehigh Men, Who Claim 1st-Ever Title - Navy Women Win
Recommended Read: Blogger Incredibly Previews/Predicts Virtually All The Men's XC Conferences
Two Biggies Were Friday - SEC & Big East
Big East: *Results
MB: Syracuse Men Win For 4th Time In 5 Years / GTown Women Win As Nova Goes 1-3 But Finishes 4th
*With Syracuse Going To ACC Next Year, Redshirt Frosh Champ Martin Hehir Will Go Down In History As Only Undefeated Big East Meet Runner In History
*SEC Report: Arkansas Men And Florida Women Win SEC Cross-Country Titles Texas A&M's Henry Lelei won the individual race in 23:29.95 as Kentucky's Cally Macumber won for the women in 20:23.29.
*Quick Q&A With Henry Lelei Asked what sport he'd play if he wasn't a runner: "I would like to play golf; you don't use a lot of energy. You just walk around and hit [the ball]."
MB: #30 Florida Women Upset #12 Arkansas As Heavily-Favored #9 Arkanas Men Win
MB: SEC distance stock skyrockets / xc predictions
MB: Anyone got a live results link to the SEC XC champs this morning?
MB: Who is timing the SEC meet
Who's The #1 Team In The Land? The Coaches Say Okla. State, You Say It's Colorado
LRC Mark Wetmore's Colorado Buffaloes, Florida State Women The New #1 In The LetsRun.com NCAA Cross-Country Polls Florida State is shooting for its first national title and Colorado Buffaloes hope to get back on top for the first time since 2006. Plus we have conference predictions for the major conferences.
Other US News
- IU's NCAA 1,500m Champion Andy Bayer Raced An Impressive Eleven 1,500s From Mid-May Through July 1st, Getting Faster As He Went & Ending With A PR "The [Olympic Trials] finals were the least stress I've had in months. Leading up to that I was trying to qualify or win every race. [In the finals] I was going to try to race and not worry about time, just beat as many people as possible."
- Another Scientific Study To Tell Us All What We Already Know: Drafting In Races Helps This study determined that at 4:30 mile pace on a still day, drafting will save you 1 second per 400m at that pace ... more if it's a windy day.
- MileSplitWeekend High School XC Coverage: Edward Cheserek Runs 14:18 At ESSEX County Champs, Beating His Own CR And Winning By Almost 2 Minutes
- USATF Profile On Double Olympic Medalist (LJ & TJ) Will Claye, Who Returned To University Of Florida This Year To Finish His Degree "I never thought about not finishing college. My two older brothers have finished college, and now it is my turn."
Olympic News: Tip Of The Day Is Don't Bring Your Olympic Medals To A Night Club
- Two British Olympians Have Their Olympic Bronze Medals Stolen At A Night Club At least they weren't gold.
*Man Arrested As Suspected Thief Of Two Olympic Medals
- London Games Helps Lift Britain Out Of Its "Longest Double-Dip Recession Since The Second World War"
- Istanbul 2020 Olympic Bid Gets Boost As It Is The Filming Site For Many Scenes From The New James Bond Movie Bond actor Daniel Craig is rumored to be supporting the Istanbul bid as well.
(Kenyan) Doping News
- Recommended Read: Interview With German Journalist Who Went Undercover In Kenya And Is Responsible For Sparking AK's Recent Panic Over Doping He talks about interviewing cheat Mathew Kisorio, indirectly indicates both Pamela Jelimo and Patrick Makau and has some words for AK Pres. Isaiah Kiplagat.
- Are AK And Other Track Federations Doing Enough To Help WADA Stop Doping? Former WADA head Dick Pound: "We now have better evidence that a good steroid programme will last you two to four years, so we have a four-year ban. But most of the sports federations are not interested in it; they want the lower penalty because it doesn't keep their stars out of action so long. They don't care sports-performance wise."
Speaking Of Dopers ... Updates On Christian Hesch
- Podcast: The Trailer Interview With Christian Hesch Where You Asked The Questions There were also questions submitted by Ian Dobson, Julia Lucas and other pros. *Part 2 Of The Interview
- Canadian Road Mile Strips Christian Hesch Of His Title, Bans Him From All Future Races, And Asks For Their $1,000 In Prize Money Back Peter Corrigan, whom Hesch outkicked by .3: "The worst part was the guy sat on me for 1,525m and out-kicked me in the last 75m; the least he could have done would have been to lead it!"
- Description Of Exchange B/W Race Director & Hesch Where He Wanted An Appearance Fee For Their Elite Race, Saying He Would Drop His 1,500 SB 10 Seconds The article title calls it a "lofty goal" but really running under 3:38 when he had a 3:40 PR and had broken 4 in the mile isn't crazy.
Other US News
- NYC: San Francisco Giants Fans Brett Gotcher And Scott Bauhs Will Have A Dilemma If The World Series Goes To Game 6 And 7 They'll be in New York for the NYC Marathon, which would mean staying up
until midnight or later to watch the games nights before their race.
*Brief Chat With Simon Bairu, Who's Still Trying To Figure Out The Marathon He's started two, finished one in 2:19:52, but will take another stab at it in NYC next weekend.
- Some Calling Sarah Baxter's Mt. SAC Race "The Most Amazing Female Individual Performance" In US Prep History
*Baxter Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
- Kenny Moore To Be Awarded George Hirsch Journalism Award (link fixed) How many of you have read "Best Efforts?"
- Wednesday's Episode Of NYRR's "On The Run" Talks To Meb, Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Bernard Lagat, Centro About The State Of US Distance Running
- Spikesmag.com Interview With Ashton Eaton
- Meb Keflezighi Joins runcoach Board Of Directors runcoach offers individualized coaching over the interent.
- Two-Time Olympic Pole-Vaulter George Mattos Passes Away At Age 83
Lots Of Lance Armstrong News
- Science Of Sport Guys: Thank God The UCI Came Down Hard On Lance - They Estimated The Odds Were Only 50-50% *Science Of Sport Facebook Page
- Psychiatrist Explains It All: Armstrong's Cheating Resulted From His Father's Abandoment At Age 2
- Australian Lecturer: Lance Is A Classic "Corporate Psychopath" Who Hustled And Bullied His Way To The Top
Memo To All LetsRun.com Fans - You Now Have As Many Tour de France Titles As Lance Armstrong
Cycling Feds Strip Lance Armstrong Of 7 TDF Titles & Bans Him For Life
UCI will strip him of his seven Tour de France wins. Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten in cycling."
Insurance Company Wants Its Money Back "Mr. Armstrong is no longer the official winner of any Tour de France races and as a result it is inappropriate and improper for him to retain any bonus payments made by SCA."
US High Schoolers Mary Cain And Sarah Baxter Get Some Press
- High School Superstar Sarah Baxter Crushes Course Record At Mt. SAC Invite With 16:00 She beat out the 2001 CR of 16:16 set by Amber Trotter and is well faster than Jordan Hasay ever ran here.
*Video: Sarah Baxter DOMINATES Mt. Sac XC Meet
*Video Interview With Baxter
- OTB: SARAH BAXTER 16:00 MOUNT SAC!!!!! *Sarah Baxter > Jordan Hassy, Abbey D agistino, and everyone else *Could Sarah Baxter win NCAA XC Championships right now!?
- Salazar Has Found His Next Project: Alberto Salazar Officially Coaching High Schooler Mary Cain, Who Will No Longer Run For Her HS And Will Race NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k Salazar: "A talent like hers only comes around once in a generation. If you get a kid like her running right at a
young age, she can accomplish incredible things. ... There were some biomechanical glitches in her stride, along with some imbalance and strength issues. If that stuff got fixed, this girl could accomplish anything."
Other US News:
- Christian Hesch Responds In Comment Section To A RunBlogRun Diatribe He claims that the quotes in the NY Time article that said he "didn't race on it" were paraphrased and taken out of context.
- Good News For Armstrong: RW's Scott Douglas Explains Why Making Dopers (In This Case Christian Hesch) Pay Back Unfairly Won Prize Money Isn't Always A Possibility Competitor Group Vice Pres.: "Would we launch a legal campaign to go after it that's going to cost more than he won? That would be illogical."
Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO, And Other Drug News
- NY Times: Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO
a perfect example of how cheating doesn't just happen at the top level of the sport. There are guys who ride under the radar and take away prize money from other deserving clean athletes. And his arguments that he ran the races clean because the EPO was "out of his system" is ridiculous. Doping can benefit you for years.
*Hesch Writes Public Apology For Doping *RW Article Detailing How Hesch Initially Denied Doping
*MB: Christian Hesch doping article in the NY Times/Competitor.com
- Armstrong's Lawyer Challenges Accusers To Take Lie Detector Test, But Then Says Lance "Might" Be Willing To Take One His lawyer said the only reason Armstrong would refuse a lie detector test was because he had "moved on." Yeah, okay.
2012 World Half Is In The Books *Results *MB: World Half Thread
Zersenay Tadese Dominates World Half - Wins Record 5th Title Tadese put on a show at the 5k mark and won by 32 seconds.
*LRC US Men, Led By Top-20 Showings By Augustus Maiyo And Luke Puskedra, Finish 4th
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Moves From 16th At 15km To 8th At Finish
*Amateur Kawauchi Is Top Finisher & Japan Running News Brett Larner Rips The Entire Japanese System As A Result How can a self-trained guy who has won two marathons in six weeks beat the best of the Japanese corporations?
Ethiopian Women Stun Kenya And Win Individual And Team Titles
The Kenyan women had the five best times in the field but someone forgot to tell that to the Ethiopians, who went 1-2 to win as Meseret Hailu (68:55) edged Feyse Tadese (68:56).
*LRC Shalane Flanagan Falls Off Early - Fades To Disappointing 25th Place Finish As US Women Finish 5th Flanagan went out in the top 10 at a sub-70 pace but ended up in 74:41 as just the third US finisher.
Recommended Read: 27 Years Later, Twin Cities Marathon Record Of 2:10:05 Still Belongs To A Single Father Of Three Who Had A Full-Time Job & Didn't Go College As He Wasn't Fast Enough For A Scholarship
LRC "Non-Running" Running Photo Of The Week
LRC LetsRun License Plate Spotted In Texas: What Does It Mean? A car (Porsche?) in Texas has been spotted with a 26.2 sticker and a LTS RUN license plate. We assume the owner has run a marathon, but more importantly ... do they come to LetsRun.com? Of course they should, but we want your help in unraveling this mystery.
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
At Least Track Is Popular Somewhere: In The US We're Excited When Track Gets On TV; Meanwhile The European Championships Drew 156 Million Viewers
- Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness On Some Running Related Science Topics "As a whole, we’re probably a nation of over recoverers, if that’s even a word. For instance, do we really need to cram the message that we need carbs post run after every run?"
- TrackFocus Q&A WIth Alex Kosinski On The Start To Her Post-Collegiate Career With The OTC
- D1 National Rankings: Guy Who Previewed Every Men's Conference Meet Publishes His Own National Top 30 And Reviews Each Team
- Coaches' Rankings: Updated DI XC Rankings: Oklahoma State Men & Florida State Women Still Ranked #1
*DIII Regional Rankings
- NCAA Adopts A Tougher Rule Enforcement Program To "Uphold The Integrity Of The Collegiate Model Of Athletics" NCAA President Mark Emmert: “We have sought all along to remove the ‘risk-reward’ analysis that has tempted people ... to break the rules in the
hopes that either they won’t be caught or that the consequences won’t be
very harsh if they do get caught."
- Hilarious Video Parody: Hitler's Running Injury
Downfall Definitely worth a watch.
- Run For Your Life Fred Lebow Documentary To Be On ESPN Classic This Weekend
- US Marathoners Might Still Be Far Behind The Top Kenyans/Ethiopians, But It Could Always Be Worse Germany is excited that they actually have two guys sub-2:14 this year.
UK News: Meet Charles van Commenee's Replacement
- UK Athletics Selects Paralmympics Head Coach Peter Eriksson To Replace Charles van Commenee He led Britain to 29 athletics medals at the London Paralympics.
- Article Comparing Eriksson's Coaching Style To van Commenee
- The Guardian: "Five Problems New UK Head Coach Will Face" They say organising GB's sprinters and "forging a relationship with Phillips Idowu" ... although Idowu has already said that he supports the decision to hire Eriksson.
- Future Of Olympic Stadium Uncertain Again As London Mayor's Proposal To Use Games Surplus On Retractable Seating Was Rejected
- "Secrets Of The Olympic Opening Ceremony Revealed"
- British Survey Reveals That Paralympics Had A Positive Impact On The Way Disabled People Are Viewed
The People Have Spoken And They Want Pat McQuaid Out
- Pat McQuaid Has A History Of Lying And Blaming Other People For His Transgressions He was banned for life from the Olympics back in 1975 for racing illegally in South Africa.
- Another Article Arguing Why Pat McQuaid Needs To Go: Cyclists Don't Become Cyclists With The Intention Of Doping; The System Is The Problem "Doping can be about cheating but in cycling, it was about a lot more. Doping is about corruption, primarily the corruption of the spirit. The system needs to be changed ..."
NYC Marathon News
- Full Professional Fields For 2012 ING New York City Marathon Released In the women's field, Olympic champion Tiki Gelana will be the heavy favorite. On the men'sside, London Champion, Olympic bronze medallist, and world's #2 on a certified course, Wilson Kipsang, should be a slight favorite over 2:03:06 man Moses Mosop. Meb Keflezighi, fourth at the Olympics, leads the American charge.
- Profile On Veteran Amputees Who Are Running The 2012 ING NYC Marathon
- On Not Doing NYC: Q&A With Ryan Hall: Says He's Healthy And Talks About His Upcoming Trip To Train In Kenya And Gives Some Insights Into His Typical Marathon Training
- Amy Hastings And Kim Smith Talk About Training And Living Together In Providence Ahead Of The NYC Marathon
- In-Depth Interview With Molly Pritz, Who Was First American Woman At NYC Last Year She wants to run 2:26-2:28 in NYC.
- Q&A With Meb's Brother/Agent Hawi Keflezighi
Armstrong, The Tour de France, And The UCI
- Nobody Wins: Lance Armstrong's Seven Tour de France Victories Will Be Left Blank In The History Books & The UCI Has Demanded That Armstrong Return His Prize Money And trying to save face, the UCI said it will "establish a fully independent external Commission to look into the various allegations made about UCI relating to the Armstrong affair" and has suspended their legal action against Irish journalist Paul Kimmage.
- Lance Armstrong Hasn't Been Completely Wiped From The Record Books As He Remains The 1993 UCI World Champ And Winner Of A Couple Of Races In '95 & '96
- 100% Appropriate: UCI Chooses Pinocchio As Logo For 2013 World Road Racing Championships For those who grew up without watching Disney movies, Pinocchio is a wooden puppet whose nose grew every time he lied ... which was often.
- Greg LeMond's Open Letter Telling Pat McQuaid To Resign
US Track Olympians In The New News: Lolo Jones & Tianna Madison Make US Bobsled Team
- Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison Named To US Bobsled
just came out here and kind of needed to get away from track for a bit, kind of wanted to get some motivation." The World Cup season opens in Lake Placid, N.Y., Nov. 8-10.
*Preview Of US Bobsled Trials Which Said Lolo Was 1 Of 16 Fighting For 6 Spots
- Video: Ashton Eaton Featured In First Grader's "My Hero" School Project
- Triple Tour de France Winner Greg LeMond Urges Pat McQuaid To Resign "I have never seen such an abuse of power in cycling's history - resign, Pat, if you love cycling. Resign even if you hate the sport."
- Puma Sales Drop Despite Usain Bolt Sponsorship And pro distance runners wonder why it's hard to get sponsorship. But just plastering a logo on an athlete isn't all that is necessary to market.
- Athletics Australia Talking To Bolt's Manager About What It Will Take To Get Him There For A Couple Track Meets Not much. Just pay him his $300,000 appearance fee and make sure you don't invite Yohan Blake.
Kenya Says They Will Start Supporting Former Athletes Who Now Live In Poverty Sports Minister Ababu Namwamba: "These sports men and women put the image of the country on the international the map yet they have been forgotten."
News From The UK/Ireland
Class Act: David Rudisha Travels With Colm O'Connell To Coach's Irish Hometown - Says He's Honored To Visit "For years I have wanted to visit the hometown of my coach." *Video
Of Rudisha In Ireland
*Brits Are Upset That American Christain Taylor Will Now Train In Britain On UK Tracks Under Coach Just Hired By UK Athletics - Rana Reider I guess someone should remind them that Mo Farah trained in the US on US tracks.
*London 2012 Is Set To Come In Almost $639 Million Under Budget Don't let that fool you into thinking they got it on the cheap - now it only cost $14.26 billion.
*Britain's Stephen Way Comes From Behind To Win World 50k Trophy In Thrilling Fashion As Fellow Brit Helen Taranowski Claims Women's Win
Episode #3 Of On The Run (Sponsored)
Usain Bolt Planning His Next 4 Years
- Recommended Read: SI'sTim Layden Catches Up With Usain Bolt In New York On His Plans Moving Forward; He Would Like To Try LJ But His Coach And Agent Rather He Didn't Due To The High Injury Rate Some great quotes from Bolt on future plans, Tyson Gay, Carl Lewis, and even admitting to "panicking" after he lost to Blake at the Jamaican Trials.
- ESPN Q&A: Talking Business/Sponsorship With Usain Bolt
Usain Bolt Makes SNL Cameo During Vice Pres. Debate Skit *Article
The NYC Marathon Returns To Live Television
ESPN Going All Out On Coverage Of ING NYC Marathon It's a fact sporting events of signifcance are shown on live national TV (or tape delay prime time in case of the Olympics). The ING NYC Marathon is back on ESPN2 this year and ESPN2 is going all out on its coverage announcing today that Sports Center anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm will lead the broadcast. With the way ESPN works, this also means you'll likely see some pre-race and post-race coverage. Tim Hutchings and others on the broadcast as well. Unfortunately no Toni Reavis.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.