Marathon News: Mo Farah Wants To Do 10k-Marathon Double In 2016; Alan Webb Might Run One Next Fall
- Alan Webb Has Moved Back To Portland And Says He Could Run A Marathon As Early As Next Fall He's done with middle distance and moving up. He ran the first 100 mile weeks of his life and hasn't selected a training group yet, but has run with Jerry's Schumacher's group. *MB Thread
- Alberto Salazar Talks About Mo Farah Doing The 10,000-Marathon Double In Rio 2016 Salazar: "He won't go to the marathon until 2014. The way we look at it is pretty simple: he's the best long-distance runner on the track in the world right now."
- Meb Keflezighi On His 4th Place In London And NYC Next Weekend "I was pushing the last two miles or so to get into fourth place. When you hear about people [in the top three] who get caught [for drugs], I want to be the guy in fourth."
- Good Read: Ethiopia'sBuzunesh Deba Lives And Trains In NYC And After Finishing Runner-Up Last Year Is Looking To Become The First "Local" To Win The Marathon She'll be the underdog though as she's coming off an injury and is up against Olympic Champ Tiki Galena and World Champ Edna Kiplagat.
- Sunday: IAAF Preview: David Kemboi Kiyeng (2:06:26 PR), Nickson Kurgat (2:08:43) & Others Will Compete At The Chosunilbo Chuncheon International Marathon Sun. The target is Stanley Biwott’s 2:07:03 CR.
Mekhissi Benabadd Is In Trouble Again: He Assaulted A High School Director Because He Didn't Want To Hire His Brother (translated from french) This is the guy who got in a fight with Mehdi Baala after a DL meet. He now faces a possible suspension.
*MB: Mahiedine Mekhissi Benabbad in trouble again...
- UK Bookies Lost A Lot Of Money On Mo Farah's Double Gold In London, But They "Still Cheered"
- Former Boston Champ Elijah Lagat Will Lead A Group Of Kenya's Parliament Members At Sunday's Standard Chartered Nairobi International Marathon Some of the legislators were on the Kenya that got 3rd at the World Championships for Members of Parliaments in 2008 (bet you didn't know that existed). Langat led the team with a 2:18.08 ... for a half-marathon.
- South African Distance Legend Jan Barnard Passes Away At 83 He set records and won championships for SA on the road, track, and cross country. After his retirement he also went on to coach many other SA greats.
- Update On Debate Over Jamaican Discus Thrower's National Record The mark was legal, but the IAAF wouldn't count it because the discus was added to the meet schedule only a few days in advance.
- Former Olympic Discus Champion Gerd Kanter Splits With His Longtime Coach
Big Races This Sunday: Will We See A New Marathon WR?
- Patrick Makau Going For The WR At The Frankfurt Marathon
- Abel Kirui & Tariku Bekele Will Duke It Out At Bupa Great South 10 Miler
Want To Run The 2013 BMW Berlin Marathon? Sorry - It Sold Out In A Record 3.5 Hours Earlier Today (Thursday) Last year it took almost six weeks.
Lance Has Been Punished, Now It's Time For The UCI
- Armstrong Not Alone: With Armstrong Gone, Philip Hersh Calls For The Removal Of Pat McQuaid, Hein Verbruggen And Other UCI Officials "It is one thing for cyclists banned for doping to return to competition after their suspensions end, as rules allow. It is another for ex-dopers to run teams or be on UCI councils. Any argument that it is good to have former dopers help in the fight against doping is specious."
- WADA President: The UCI Need To Take Responsiblity For Allowing Doping To Take Place Tyler Hamilton: "Pat McQuaid's comments [on banning Armstrong] expose the hypocrisy of his leadership. Instead of seizing an opportunity to instill hope for the next generation of cyclists, he continues to point fingers, shift blame and attack those who speak out, tactics that are no longer effective. Pat McQuaid has no place in cycling."
- Pat McQuaid Calls Floyd Landis And Tyler Hamilton "Scumbags" "Another thing that annoys me is that Landis and Hamilton are being made out to be heroes. They are as far from heroes as night and day. They are not heroes, they are scumbags. All they have done is damage the sport."
- Q&A With McQuaid: He Continues To Claim The UCI Didn't Know About Armstrong's Doping
- IOC President Jacques Rogge Says Cycling Will Stay In The Olympics
- Race Director Wants Lance Armstrong To Return His Tour de France Prize Money Estimated he won around £2.4m.
- Mark Cavendish Thinks Lance Armstrong Needs To Admit To Doping For The Good Of The Sport
- Tour de France Champ Bradley Wiggins: "It is a shame that us riders here now, we are the one picking the pieces up and having to convince people." Alberto Contador, on the other hand, expressed his sympathy for Armstrong.
Big News: All Charges Against Two-Time Olympic Steeple Champ Ezekiel Kemboi Are Dropped After Woman Voluntarily Withdraws Her Complaint She says no money exchanged hands but she simply
felt ostracized for bringing charges against a Kenyan hero. "I want to go back to university to pursue journalism and I have forgiven Kemboi out of my own free will.
I have not been compensated whatsoever but I've just decided to forgive
More: *Capital Sport *The Daily Nation *The Standard
Vault: LRC Relive Kemboi's Historic 2nd Olympic Win Here - Is He The Greatest Ever?
*LRC 2011 World Champs Win Was His 3rd Global Title
Random Olympic News
- UK Athletics New Sports Psychologist Dr. Steve Peters To Help The 4 X 1 Get The Baton Around He'll be able to use his own experiences as the anchor for the UK's World Masters Championship 4 x 1, which won gold in 1999.
- Women's Sport And Fitness Foundation: London's Olympic Legacy Is Not Doing Enough To Promote Women In Sport This isn't really a surprise since there have been reports that the Olympic legacy to get more involved in sports is failing in general, not just women.
- Rio Unveils Official Font For The 2016 Olympics It has been described as "uniquely informal."
- With The 40th Anniversary Approaching, A Look Back At The First IAAF World Cross-Country Championships In 1973 (link fixed)
- Athletics Kenya Purhcases A Doping Kit (Sounds Like They Didn't Own One) - Will Test At Domestic XC Meets
Usain Bolt News
New York City Related News
Sunday, October 21 Marked Meb's
25th Anniversary In US
One Year After Finishing 9th In 2:11 At NYC In His Marathon Debut, Ed Moran Withdraws From New York With An Injury The injury? Posterior tibial tendonitis.
Read This If You Think All Elites Are On Drugs - They Aren't U17 World Champs Are Next Year - Kirani James & U. Bolt Are Past Superstars Kirani James ran 45.70 at age 15. Usain Bolt ran 20.40 into the wind. Some people are just total prodigies.
Random News On A Slow Tuesday
- 28-Year-Old Christine Ohuruogu Thought She'd Retire After London But Now She'll Keep Going The Brit, who once was given a one-year drug ban, will keep competing.
- With His Plantar Fasciitis Cured, Mehdi Baala Runs 4 X 800 And Says He'll Run Indoors
- Man Runs 2:46 At Baltimore Marathon Wearing Flip Flops
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack Halfway Through Visit To Beijing - Host of 2015 Worlds
- Sports Psychiatrist Dr. Steve Peters, The Man Behind UK Cycling's Success, Is Hired By UK Track And Field
- 21-Year-Old Jack Green Says He's Still A 400 Hurdler - Not Just A Relay Specialist
- France's Triple Olympic Gold Medallist Marie-Jose Perec Has Been Elected President Of The Guadeloupean Athletics
Sunday Results: Amsterdam, Birmingham, Des Moines, US Army Ten Miler, Gyeongju
- Wilson Chebet Runs 2:05:41 At Amsterdam To Break The CR On A Windy Day Ethiopians Bentayehu Assefa (2:06:22), Abrha Gebretsadik (2:06:23), and Feisa Bekele (2:06:26)
a close 2-4 all making their debut. Dutchman
Michel Butter ran 2:09:58. For the women World Half Marathon champ Meseret Hailu also
beat the CR to win in 2:21:09 as Eunice Kirwa was second (2:21:41) and Caroline Kilel DNFed.
*Michel Buttler Is Just The 5th European Under 2:10 This Year
- Micah Kogo Outkicks Abera Kuma By Two Seconds In A Thrilling Sprint To The Finish To Win Bupa Great Birmingham Run In 1:00:17 WR holder and World Half Marathon champ Zersenay Tadese was third in 1:01:06. All three broke B's 1:01:29 CR. Portugal's Sara Moreira won the woman's race over Ethiopia's former World Half Marathon champion Berhane Adere in 1:12:49.
- 2:05:37 Man Wilson Loyanai Wins Gyeongju Marathon In A Course Record Breaking 2:06:46
- Ethiopian Tesfaye Sendeku-Alemyehu Defends His Army Ten Miler Title In 47:48, Beating Out Augustus Maiyo (47:54) Kyle Heath and Robert Cheseret went 4-5 as Joseph Chirlee was 10th. Kerri Gallagher outsprinted defending champ Aziza Aliyu-Abate by one second in 56:09. *Full Results
- Samuel Ndereba Wins Over Antonio Vega At The Des Moines Half Marathon Ndereba ran 1:03:18 to Vega's 1:03:41. Jenna Boren won the woman's half
in 1:16:13 while James Kirwa won the full marathon for the 3rd straight
year in 2:16:54.
*Half Results *Marathon Results
- Solomon Kandie Wins Duke City Marathon In CR 2:24:03 Kandie is the guy sponsored by Mattress Firm (video in far right column).
Jamaican Olympians Cash In
- Jamaican Medalists (Gold, Silver, & Bronze) Were Rewarded With Anywhere From $11,000 to $2,700 Each
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Awarded The Courtney Walsh Award For Excellence (And
$500,000$5,500) In Jamaica
Mo Farah Gets A Visit From His Twin Brother Hassan In England
Recommended Read: For The First Time Since They Were Separated At 8 Years Old, Hassan Farah Visits Mo In England
Mo, talking about his daughter, said, "She's taught [Hassan] 'fat ass, big bum bum' because she says he's a fat version of daddy."
*Twitter Post/Photo From Mo
Kenyan News: Brother O'Connell Gets Honored
Colm William O'Connell Given An Honorary Doctorate Degree From Dublin City University For His "Unrivaled Contribution To Athletics In Kenya"
*Video: Brother Colm O'Connell And David Rudisha Talk To Junior Irish Athletes At Athletics Ireland Squad Day Great quotes from O'Connell, such as, "You must learn to control yourself. Athletics is not just about going out and training and flailing around a track or a field or a cross country course. You must think about your training, think about what you're doing."
*Irish Examiner Article On Brother O'Connell
Paula's Not The Only One: Other UK Athletes Who Lost Their Funding Criticize The Decision And Consider Where To Go 800m runner Marilyn Okoro, Marlon Devonish and Steph Twell among others
*Other UK Athletes React Via Twitter Phillips Idowu tweets: "was I on funding?"
US & Worldwide Distance News
Alberto Salazar, Nina Kuscsik And Miki Gorman To Be Inducted Into NYRR Hall Of Fame Maybe we're biased, but Alberto should have been inducted by himself this year. Way more a legend than Kuscsik and Gorman. Plus if there is an annual induction ceremony, with 2-3 people a year, soon they'll be out of people.
- Jerry Schumacher Q&A: "Just because you are a great 10,000-meter runner or half marathoner, it doesn't mean you are going to adapt to the marathon ..."
- American Steepler Dan Huling: "It's pretty hard to swallow that I'd gotten in the top three (in the US) in every other year but 2008 and 2012."
- Molly Huddle Brief Chat She's not sure she can break 14:30.
- David Rudisha Wants To Help Build A Stadium In His Hometown Of Transmara
- NY Times Looks At Jogglers (People Who Jog And Run Marathons At The Same Time)
- Asics To Sponsor Foot Locker Cross-Country This Year
- Bill Rodgers Running Center To Close
No Fall Marathon For Stephen Kiprotich
Olympic Marathon Champion Stephen Kiprotich Talks About What He's Been Up To And Why He Won't Run A Fall Marathon "It is simple: I am not ready for it. It is only two months ago since I won in London. Recovering from a marathon takes time, you know." Taking time to recover instead of rushing for a quick payday. That's the attitude that makes you Olympic champ.
NYRR's Mary Wittenberg
Rec. Read: Lengthy
NY Times Piece On NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Running INC" Since taking over at the NYRR, Wittenberg has more than doubled the club's revenue. No one in our opinion has done more to promote running as a pro sport in America. Most of the criticism in the article is from those who say the NYRR has gone too far from the "grass roots" the club started with.
Wittenberg: "We're not sorry we're successful. To our critics, we say, we want you to come along."
*Mary Wittenberg To Receive Sports Leadership Award From The March Of Dimes New York Division
*MB: Wittenberg article in the NY Times
More Results From The Weekend
Toronto Waterfront Marathon: In Wet And Windy Conditions, Sahle Warga Becomes The First Ethiopian Winner In The Race's 23-Year History After all the talk of a big bonus for the 2:07 CR, Warga won in 2:10:36. Everyone fell off the pace that went out in 1:03:41. Favorites Kiplimo Kimutai and John Kiprotich took 2nd and 3rd (2:11:20 & 2:11:29).
NZ's Mary Davies won the women's race with 2:28:56 as the favorite Agnes Kiprop went out in 34:14 for 10k and 1:11:30 at the half, but fell way off and took 2nd (2:29:30).
*Ed Whitlock Sets Age 81 World Record At 3:30:29 And we guess it's the month for weird marathon records as a guy set the WR for fastest marathon dressed as a superhero (2:33:58) ... obviously he was the Flash.
- Carpi Marathon And Trento 10K: Ethiopian Kasaye Sisay Lemma Wins In Carpi With 2:11:58 2008 5k bronze medallist Edwin Soi won the Trento 10k in 28:43 over World Junior 5,000 champ Muktar Edris (28:45) and 5,000 Olympic bronze medallist Thomas Longosiwa (28:48).
Weekend Results: Road, Track, XC
- Dickson Kiptolo Chumba Is The Surprise Winner Of The Eindhoven Marathon With A CR 2:05:46 As Pre-Race Favorite Tadese Tola Was 4th (2:08:01) Franklin Chepkwony and Erick Ndiema finished second and third in 2:06:11 and 2:06:17. Aberume Mekuria was the women's winner in 2:27:20.
- Leonard Komon Takes His Third Straight Berlin 10k Victory In 27:46 On A Windy Day
- Ezechiel Nizigiymana (58:12) And Cynthia Jerotich (1:05:36) Win Paris 20k In Rainy Conditions *Results
- The Inaugural Nick Symmonds Springfield 800 Road Race Was This Weekend The fastest time of the day was 2:04.
- Africa Cross-Country Champ Joyce Chepkurui Wins Ndalat 8k XC Race In 26:01 Isaac Korir won the men's 12k in 34:40. *Results
Recommended Read: Liam Boylan-Pett Writes 4-Part Series On Sam Bair III, Who Struggled To Join His Dad As A Sub-4 Miler Bair gained fame for a series of near misses in college with 4:00.14, 4:00.35, 4:00.87 and 4:00.99, but continued the chase post-collegiately.
*Part 4 Blair III: "It was funny. I didn't feel like I ran that great of a race. It's such a weird concept. I only had to come down 2 tenths of a second. If I would have done that in any other event, even the 800 where it would be more impressive to drop time, it wouldn't have even mattered. It's a barrier, and you need to run under, so you've got to do it."
Ridiculously Deep Fields Set For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Full Elite Start Lists
Elite Field Announced For November 3rd NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k And Includes 17 Olympians Men: Chris Solinsky, Alan Webb, Matt Tegenkamp, Lopez Lomong, Evan Jager, Ben True, Andrew Bumbalough, Chris Derrick, Luke Puskedra, Cam Levins, Leonard Korir and German Fernandez. Women: Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Molly Huddle, Jen Rhines, Lisa Uhl, Kim Conley, Sheila Reid and Neely Spence. *Full Elite Start Lists
Marathon News: Martin Lel Joins NYC Marathon Field
- 3-Time London & 2-Time NYC Champion Martin Lel Added To NYC Marathon Field Lel is one of our favorites. So, too, was Ed Moran, who ran his debut here last year with a 2:11:47, making him the 4th-fastest American in 2011.
- Kenya Enacts New Marathon Selection Policy For Rio 2016, In Which No Athlete Who Has Run A Marathon Within Six Months Of Rio Will Be Eligible The real question now is how many times will Kenya change or go back on this policy before they actually pick their team?
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Top 30 Results/Splits *Live Thread
Men Full Recap Kebede 2:04:38 Course Record, Ritz 9th 2:07:47 updated Tsegaye Kebede scorched the second half in 1:01:44 to run 2:04:38, a course record by nearly a minute. Dathan Ritzenhein ran a more than 2-minute PR of
2:07:47 to become the third-fastest American in history but amazingly that only got him 9th.
Women Full Recap Baysa Edges Jeptoo In A Thriller Two-time Paris champ Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo battled all the way to the line. They both raised their hands but Baysa was the winner. Renee Metivier Baillie's marathon debut was great as she's now #8 all-time in US history at 2:27:17.
LRC Ritz Runs A Big 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American And Finish 9th Dathan Ritzenhein ran a solid race to become the third-fastest American ever. That only got him 9th place in the race, but this was a big step in the right direction for Ritz.
10 Years Ago, Paula Radcliffe Raced To A 2:17:18 World Record (with pacing help from LRC's Wejo) Radcliffe is back in Chicago to celebrate.
*Video: Korir Talks: Is There Something About Faith & Successful Distance Runners? A new film, tRANscend, is coming out next summer.
BMW Berlin Marathon *Yahoo Photos *Video Of Berlin Finish
Even If They Fixed The Race, Athletics Kenya Boss Congratulates Mutai And Kimetto The WMM should disband its $500,000 first place gimmicky prize going forward if this is the outcome that is encouraged. LRC's recap and message boarders are quoted extensively in the article.
*Km-By-Km Splits In Berlin Updated
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Wins?* Berlin And World Marathon Major Title In Bizarre Finish (AKA Did Dennis Kimetto Let Geoffrey Mutai Win $500,000?) The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon was a masterpiece on the men's side until the final 2km. The fastest marathoner ever, Geoffrey Mutai, and his training partner and breakout star in 2012, Dennis Kimetto, were putting on an exhibition, running side-by-side with each 5km faster than the one before it and on world record pace. Then the wheels fell off and there was the sprint for the finish. The problem is the mad dash for home never occurred and that left some wondering what the hell happened? Were they both completely trashed or had Kimetto deferred to Mutai, helping him win $500,000? Aberu Kebede won on the women's side for the 2nd time in a PR of 2:20:30.
- Kimetto: "I was not expecting to finish close to him since I knew I could not beat him, but I'm delighted with today's performance."
- Race Broadcast: "If anything, it may be a pre-planned thing, you know."
- Science Of Sport's Analysis Of Berlin
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
US News: Lolo Jones & Tianna Madison Make US Bobsled Team
- Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison Named To US Bobsled Team Lolo: "I just came out here and kind of needed to get away from track for a bit, kind of wanted to get some motivation." The World Cup season opens in Lake Placid, N.Y., Nov. 8-10.
*Preview Of US Bobsled Trials Which Said Lolo Was 1 Of 16 Fighting For 6 Spots
- Galen Rupp To Lead US Chiba Ekiden Team Which Will Compete In Japan On November 23rd
- Video: Ashton Eaton Featured in First-Grader’s “My Hero” School Project
- Conference Champs This Weekend: Men's XC Conference Champs Previews/Predictions
*Oklahoma State Shooting For Their 5th Big 12 Title In Row
- Good Read: University of Richmond Alum Writes How Disappointed He Is With The School For Cutting The Track Program After All He And His Teammates Did To Build It Up "Someone later pointed out to me, 'You know, you guys who redshirted could have gone to any school you wanted for that fifth year and run at nationals.' Really? That idea never even occurred to me. ... Why would I turn my back on my team, coach and university?"
- We Have High School Sophomores Competing In The Olympic Trials But This HS Won't Let An 8th Grader Run Varsity Even Though She's Their #1 By 30 Seconds
- Triple Tour de France Winner Greg LeMond Urges Pat McQuaid To Resign "I have never seen such an abuse of power in cycling's history – resign, Pat, if you love cycling. Resign even if you hate the sport."
Olympic News: Tip Of The Day Is Don't Bring Your Olympic Medals To A Night Club
- Two British Olympians Have Their Olympic Bronze Medals Stolen At A Night Club At least they weren't gold.
*Man Arrested As Suspected Thief Of Two Olympic Medals
- London Games Helps Lift Britain Out Of It's "Longest Double-Dip Recession Since The Second World War"
- Istanbul 2020 Olympic Bid Gets Boost As It Is The Filming Site For Many Scenes From The New James Bond Movie Bond actor Daniel Craig is rumored to be supporting the Istanbul bid as well.
(Kenyan) Doping News
- Recommended Read: Interview With German Journalist Who Went Undercover In Kenya And Is Responsible For Sparking AK's Recent Panic Over Doping He talks about interviewing cheat Mathew Kisorio, indirectly indicates both Pamela Jelimo and Patrick Makau and has some words for AK Pres. Isaiah Kiplagat.
- Are AK And Other Track Federations Doing Enough To Help WADA Stop Doping? Former WADA head Dick Pound: "We now have better evidence that a good steroid programme will last you two to four years, so we have a four-year ban. But most of the sports federations are not interested in it; they want the lower penalty because it doesn't keep their stars out of action so long. They don't care sports-performance wise."
- AK Cracking Down On Which Foreigners Are Allowed To Work With Kenyan Athletes And Requiring "Work Permits"
- Kenyan Athletes Told To Consult AK On Medical Matters In order for them "to ensure their blood samples are not tampered with."
- No Way: British Professor Says Doping Should Be Allowed In Sport "Were we to treat athletes as mature adults capable of making informed decisions based on scientific information, we could permit the use of performance-enhancing substance."
Speaking Of Dopers ... Updates On Christian Hesch
- Podcast: The Trailer Interview With Christian Hesch Where You Asked The Questions There were also questions submitted by Ian Dobson, Julia Lucas and other pros. *Part 2 Of The Interview
- Canadian Road Mile Strips Christian Hesch Of His Title, Bans Him From All Future Races, And Asks For Their $1,000 In Prize Money Back Peter Corrigan, whom Hesch outkicked by .3: "The worst part was the guy sat on me for 1,525m and out-kicked me in the last 75m; the least he could have done would have been to lead it!"
- Description Of Exchange B/W Race Director & Hesch Where He Wanted An Appearance Fee For Their Elite Race Saying He Would Drop His 1,500 SB 10 Seconds The article title calls it a "lofty goal" but really running under 3:38 when he had a 3:40 PR and had broken 4 in the mile isn't crazy.
Other US News
- NYC: San Francisco Giants Fans Brett Gotcher And Scott Bauhs Will Have A Dilemma If The World Series Goes To Game 6 And 7 They'll be in New York for the NYC Marathon, which would mean staying up
until midnight or later to watch the games nights before their race.
*Brief Chat With Simon Bairu, Who's Still Trying To Figure Out The Marathon He's started two, finished one in 2:19:52, but will take another stab at it in NYC next weekend.
- Some Calling Sarah Baxter's Mt. SAC Race "The Most Amazing Female Individual Performance" In US Prep History
*Baxter Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
- Kenny Moore To Be Awarded George Hirsch Journalism Award (link fixed) How many of you have read "Best Efforts?"
- Wednesday's Episode Of NYRR's "On The Run" Talks To Meb, Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Bernard Lagat, Centro About The State Of US Distance Running
- Spikesmag.com Interview With Ashton Eaton
- Meb Keflezighi Joins runcoach Board Of Directors runcoach offers individualized coaching over the interent.
- Two-Time Olympic Pole-Vaulter George Mattos Passes Away At Age 83
Lots Of Lance Armstrong News
Science Of Sport Guys: Thank God The UCI Came Down Hard On Lance - They Estimated The Odds Were Only 50-50% *Science Of Sport Facebook Page
Proof The Science Of Sport Guys Know How Bad The UCI Is
Ridiculous: A Day After Its Decision, UCI Head Criticizes USADA For Having Errors In Its Decision, Says Lance Could Still Appeal
*USADA Head Fires Back: "The truth is Lance Armstrong, on their watch, pulled off the greatest heist sport has ever seen."
*Lance Armstrong's competition results from every event sanctioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Meaning Boston and New York) will be erased from the record books.
Another Ex-Lance Teammate, Steffen Kjaergaard Of Norway, Admits To Doping ''I have long thought that it was best for cycling as a sport that I took this (secret) to the grave. But the last weeks have made me change course for my own sake and tell the truth.'"
It's Official - Miguel Indurain Is A Fool: Five-Time Tour de France Winner Indurain Claims Armstrong Is Innocent
The NYT's William Rhoden Slams Nike & Says Charles Barkley Was Right - There Are No Sports Heroes "The reasons Nike stuck with Woods and abandoned Armstrong have more to do with money. Woods and Bryant are still making loads of it for the corporation."
Psychiatrists Have A Field Day With Lance
- Psychiatrist Explains It All: Armstrong's Cheating Resulted From His Father's Abandoment At Age 2
- Australian Lecturer: Lance Is A Classic "Corporate Psychopath" Who Hustled And Bullied His Way To The Top
Memo To All LetsRun.com Fans - You Now Have As Many Tour de France Titles As Lance Armstrong
Cycling Feds Strip Lance Armstrong Of 7 TDF Titles & Bans Him For Life
UCI will strip him of his seven Tour de France wins. Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten in cycling."
Insurance Company Wants Its Money Back "Mr. Armstrong is no longer the official winner of any Tour de France races and as a result it is inappropriate and improper for him to retain any bonus payments made by SCA."
We 100% Agree - Declare Amnesty For Cycling & Then Do It For Track
Former Team Managers React To Armstrong Verdict "We need to put in place a system of amnesty so that everyone can come clean and we can truly start from scratch, because the real problem is, where do we go from here? We have to go to the end."
*Lance Armstrong Removes Mention Of TDF Victories From His Twitter Profile
*Disgraceful: Lance Armstrong Texted Pat McQuaid And Tried To Find Out Verdict Ahead Of Time
*Mary Wittenberg: NYC Will Strip Lance Of His 2006 NYC Marathon Finish Let's hope he didn't dope to run 2:59.
*Oakley Drops Armstrong
US News: Lolo Jones Bobsledding, Mary Cain, Hesch And More
- Is Lolo Jones Serious About Trying To Make The U.S. Bobsled Team? She Finished 2nd This Weekend In A US Team Selection Race & Has More Races Planned Maybe she figures she'd only have to wait until 2014 to try to win an Olympic medal.
- And The Hypocrite Of The Year Award Goes To ... Christian Hesch Calling Out Mo Trafeh As A Drug Cheat Back in January, he tweeted a picture of Mo Trafeh dropping out of the Marathon Trials and said, "Thank God ... was afraid of what would happen if yet another doper was rewarded ..."
- Blogger Talks About Why It Might Be A Mistake For Mary Cain To Leave Her HS Team For Salazar
*MB: Salazar is formally coaching Mary Cain
- The Forbes Fab 40: The World's Most Valuable Sports Brands We'll give you one guess which company tops the list.
- NCAA XC: Previews Of Conference Champs This Weekend
- Ashton Eaton Answers The Question Of Why Track Athletes Keep Getting Better Eaton's response: "Because we keep marrying each other."
US High Schoolers Mary Cain And Sarah Baxter Get Some Press
- High School Superstar Sarah Baxter Crushes Course Record At Mt. SAC Invite With 16:00 She beat out the 2001 CR of 16:16 set by Amber Trotter and is well faster than Jordan Hasay ever ran here.
*Video: Sarah Baxter DOMINATES Mt. Sac XC Meet
*Video Interview With Baxter
- OTB: SARAH BAXTER 16:00 MOUNT SAC!!!!! *Sarah Baxter > Jordan Hassy, Abbey D agistino, and everyone else *Could Sarah Baxter win NCAA XC Championships right now!?
- Salazar Has Found His Next Project: Alberto Salazar Officially Coaching High Schooler Mary Cain, Who Will No Longer Run For Her HS And Will Race NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k Salazar: "A talent like hers only comes around once in a generation. If you get a kid like her running right at a
young age, she can accomplish incredible things. ... There were some biomechanical glitches in her stride, along with some imbalance and strength issues. If that stuff got fixed, this girl could accomplish anything."
Other US News:
- Christian Hesch Responds In Comment Section To A RunBlogRun Diatribe He claims that the quotes in the NY Time article that said he "didn't race on it" were paraphrased and taken out of context.
- Good News For Armstrong: RW's Scott Douglas Explains Why Making Dopers (In This Case Christian Hesch) Pay Back Unfairly Won Prize Money Isn't Always A Possibility Competitor Group Vice Pres.: "Would we launch a legal campaign to go after it that's going to cost more than he won? That would be illogical."
More Lance Armstrong Doping News
Lance Armstrong To Be At Gala Tonight For 15th Year Anniversary Of Livestrong Lance will have to issue a mea culpa at some point, will it start Friday? For years, the cheat berated those who said he doped as his sponsors turned a blind eye to the evidence out there.
- A Look At Travis Tygart, Head Of USADA AP
- Lance Armstrong Quote Taken Down At Olympic Training Center
- Velo Nation: Stripping Lance Armstrong Of Tour Titles Is Necessary Even If Guys Behind Him Were Cheats
- Deadspin: A Full List Of The Brave, Brave Companies That Dropped Lance Armstrong Only After Nike Did
Deadspin: "Nike Dumps Lance Armstrong In The Smarmiest Way Possible" "Like Nike didn't know ages ago that Lance rode up the Pyrenees with four million cc's of oxygenated dinosaur plasma stuffed into his veins." Nike needs to do an investigation into the allegations the company helped cover up an Armstrong positive.
- Excellent Editorial On Lance Armstrong Case In Science Of Sport Blog Quote of the Day from this article.
- WADA May Change 8 Years Statute Of Limitations
- Previous: Nike Cuts Ties From Lance Armstrong, Takes His Name Off Nike Building
We'll Say This For Athletics Kenya - They Keep Things Interesting
Crazy: Athletics Kenya Issues A One Week Ultimatum To All Foreign Coaches Working In Kenya To Get Out Of The Country AK chairman Isaiah Kiplagat claims that the foreign coaches are responsible for the doping cases in Kenya and that "These coaches have been extracting blood from some athletes and mixing them with others things to qualify their doping claims."
Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO, And Other Drug News
- NY Times: Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO
a perfect example of how cheating doesn't just happen at the top level of the sport. There are guys who ride under the radar and take away prize money from other deserving clean athletes. And his arguments that he ran the races clean because the EPO was "out of his system" is ridiculous. Doping can benefit you for years.
*Hesch Writes Public Apology For Doping *RW Article Detailing How Hesch Initially Denied Doping
*MB: Christian Hesch doping article in the NY Times/Competitor.com
- Armstrong's Lawyer Challenges Accusers To Take Lie Detector Test, But Then Says Lance "Might" Be Willing To Take One His lawyer said the only reason Armstrong would refuse a lie detector test was because he had "moved on." Yeah, okay.
Pre-Nats And Wisconsin adidas Invitational In The Books - Pre-Nats Results
- Pre-Nats: Colorado Men Dominate As BYU And Oregon Take Second And Third UTEP freshman Anthony Rotich won in 23:01 as Paul Chelimo and Terefe Ejigu were a close 2-3.
*Women Pre-Nats: Florida State Beat Oregon; Wichita State's Aliphin Tuliamuk-Bolton Beats UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo Oregon's Alexi Pappas took 3rd, Bernard Lagat's sister Violah (Florida State) was 4th, and Jordan Hasay rounded out the top 5.
*Colorado Press Release: Men 1st, Women 7th Includes quotes from Mark Wetmore.
- Wisconsin: Top Ranked Wisconsin Men Get Buried As They Finish 17th; Lawi Lalang And Stephen Sambu Go 1-2 In 23:03 & 23:07 Jim and Joe Rosa lead Stanford to the team title as Iona, Oklahoma, and Texas take 2-4. 5th ranked Portland was way back in 12th. Wisconsin finished without returning All-Americans Reed Connor (unattached) and Mohammed
Ahmed (sat out) and Coach Byrne is thinking of redshirting them after this poor team performance.
*MB: OFFICIAL Adidas Wisconson Invite Thread *Who did Maverick Darling get in a scuffle with? *Must be embarrassing to be from Wisconsin right now. *WISCO INVITE & PRE-NATS
- Women's Wisconsin Results Iowa women win the team title as Cal Poly freshman Laura Hollander wins individually. Katie Flood was 29th.
- Chile Pepper: Men's Chile Pepper Results: Oklahoma State Men Win *Arkansas Women Take It *MB: Chile Pepper?!?
- Rankings: Pre-Nationals Weekend Leads To A Ton Of Shuffling In The DI Regional Rankings
Twin Cities And US Women's 10k Champs *Women 10k Champs Results *Twin Cities *San Jose Half
- Monday Tufts: In 10k Debut, Chelsea Reilly Wins US Title At Tufts 10k She's coached by Magdalena Lewy-Boulet (who was 15th in 33:50). Neely Spence was 3rd American (32:45) as Jen Rhines was 5th. Kenya's Hellen Jemutai took the open title in 32:30 after having finished 3rd in the BAA half the day before. *Results
- Twin Cities: Jeanette Faber Sets Her 13th Straight PR At 2:32:38 To Win Twin Cities Marathon On The Race's Coldest Day In 12 Years Past Grandma’s winners Chris Kipyego and Berhanu Girma duked it out, with Kipyego winning in 2:14:55 to Girma's 2:15:04. Sean Quigley was third in 2:15:06 *Full Results
2012 World Half Is In The Books *Results *MB: World Half Thread
Zersenay Tadese Dominates World Half - Wins Record 5th Title Tadese put on a show at the 5k mark and won by 32 seconds.
*LRC US Men, Led By Top-20 Showings By Augustus Maiyo And Luke Puskedra, Finish 4th
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Moves From 16th At 15km To 8th At Finish
*Amateur Kawauchi Is Top Finisher & Japan Running News Brett Larner Rips The Entire Japanese System As A Result How can a self-trained guy who has won two marathons in six weeks beat the best of the Japanese corporations?
Ethiopian Women Stun Kenya And Win Individual And Team Titles
The Kenyan women had the five best times in the field but someone forgot to tell that to the Ethiopians, who went 1-2 to win as Meseret Hailu (68:55) edged Feyse Tadese (68:56).
*LRC Shalane Flanagan Falls Off Early - Fades To Disappointing 25th Place Finish As US Women Finish 5th Flanagan went out in the top 10 at a sub-70 pace but ended up in 74:41 as just the third US finisher.
Recommended Read: 27 Years Later, Twin Cities Marathon Record Of 2:10:05 Still Belongs To A Single Father Of Three Who Had A Full-Time Job & Didn't Go College As He Wasn't Fast Enough For A Scholarship
LRC "Non-Running" Running Photo Of The Week
LRC LetsRun License Plate Spotted In Texas: What Does It Mean? A car (Porsche?) in Texas has been spotted with a 26.2 sticker and a LTS RUN license plate. We assume the owner has run a marathon, but more importantly ... do they come to LetsRun.com? Of course they should, but we want your help in unraveling this mystery.
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
LRC NCAA Polls
Who's The #1 Team In The Land? The Coaches Say Okla. State, You Say It's Colorado
LRC Preliminary Results Of Conference/National Polls Are Released Going to a conference meet this weekend? Then click here to find out what to expect (or show it to your parents as they likely have no clue). It's not still late to vote below. We'll update them again at 1 pm ET and 5 pm ET today.
Vote Here: LetsRun.com NCAA National And Conference Polls Are Back Tell us your top 10 teams in the country and just in time for this weekend's conference action, tell us for the first time in 2012 your conference predictions.
Deal Of The Day
Nike Free Run +2 $79.95 With Free Shipping
Act Fast. Men only.
- Puma Sales Drop Despite Usain Bolt Sponsorship And pro distance runners wonder why it's hard to get sponsorship; apparently isn't worth a that much if you lose sales even when you sponsor the most famous track athlete in the World and he wins 3 gold medals.
- Athletics Australia Talking To Bolt's Manager About What It Will Take To Get Him There For A Couple Track Meets Not much. Just pay him his $300,000 appearance fee and make sure you don't invite Yohan Blake.
Kenya Says They Will Start Supporting Former Athletes Who Now Live In Poverty Sports Minister Ababu Namwamba: "These sports men and women put the image of the country on the international the map yet they have been forgotten."
Belgium's Hans van Alphen And Russia's Tatyana Chernova Are The Overall Winners Of The 2012 IAAF Combined Events Challenge They get $30,000 each from the IAAF.
News From The UK/Ireland
Class Act: David Rudisha Travels With Colm O'Connell To Coach's Irish Hometown - Says He's Honored To Visit "For years I have wanted to visit the hometown of my coach." *Video
Of Rudisha In Ireland
*Brits Are Upset That American Christain Taylor Will Now Train In Britain On UK Tracks Under Coach Just Hired By UK Athletics - Rana Reider I guess someone should remind them that Mo Farah trained in the US on US tracks.
*London 2012 Is Set To Come In Almost $639 Million Under Budget Don't let that fool you into thinking they got it on the cheap - now it only cost $14.26 billion.
*Britain's Stephen Way Comes From Behind To Win World 50k Trophy In Thrilling Fashion As Fellow Brit Helen Taranowski Claims Women's Win
The Pole Vault And The 20-Foot Barrier Only WR holder Sergey Bubka has ever gone over and this writer argues that no one else ever will without improved technology.
Kawauchi Hat Trick: Yuki Kawauchi Wins Chiba Aqualine Marathon By Over 10 Minutes In 2:17:48 This is his 3rd marathon win following wins at August's Hokkaido Marathon and a CR at September's Sydney Marathon.
Watch Out For That Last 5K: Study Finds That Most Cardiac Arrests In Marathoners Happen Between Mile 23 And The Finish Line
And You Thought London's Opening Ceremony Was Weird: Russia's Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony Will Feature "Dead Souls And Mermaids"
Interesting: Study Shows Why Running At Night Feels Faster "When running at night, in the dark, objects further away aren’t visible and you only have close-by objects to use as reference, and so you get a greater sense of speed compared to running during the day."
Well Done, Mattress Firm (We Need More Sponsors In The Sport Doing This)
Episode #3 Of On The Run (Sponsored)
Usain Bolt Planning His Next 4 Years
- Recommended Read: SI'sTim Layden Catches Up With Usain Bolt In New York On His Plans Moving Forward; He Would Like To Try LJ But His Coach And Agent Rather He Didn't Due To The High Injury Rate Some great quotes from Bolt on future plans, Tyson Gay, Carl Lewis, and even admitting to "panicking" after he lost to Blake at the Jamaican Trials.
- ESPN Q&A: Talking Business/Sponsorship With Usain Bolt
Usain Bolt Makes SNL Cameo During Vice Pres. Debate Skit *Article
The NYC Marathon Returns To Live Television
ESPN Going All Out On Coverage Of ING NYC Marathon It's a fact sporting events of signifcance are shown on live national TV (or tape delay prime time in case of the Olympics). The ING NYC Marathon is back on ESPN2 this year and ESPN2 is going all out on its coverage announcing today that Sports Center anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm will lead the broadcast. With the way ESPN works, this also means you'll likely see some pre-race and post-race coverage. Tim Hutchings and others on the broadcast as well. Unfortunately no Toni Reavis.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places last
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.