More Lance Armstrong News *Get Your Own "Cheat To Win" Bracelet
- Philip Hersh Pieces Together The Lance Armstrong Puzzle: What Does His Decision Mean? By dropping the fight, Armstrong has spared himself the bad publicity of having all those witnesses testify against him. Apparently his lawyers have written to USADA threatening further legal action too.
- InsideTheGames: Armstrong Decision Not To Fight Drug Charges Set To Spark Jurisdiction Row Between WADA and UCI
- So Who Gets Lance's Titles? Apparently No One, Since Almost All The Runners-Up For 7 Years Were Cheats Too All but one runner-up since Lance's first win in 1999 has been banned at some point for drug use as well.
- SI Column: "Armstrong ended his fight over doping, but who really cares?" "This was a case between a likely drug cheat and obsessive, unlikeable prosecutors, fueled by other drug cheats as witnesses. If this were divorce court and I were a judge, I'd give all the money to the dog."
- This Is A Problem: Colunist: Armstrong's Image Won't Be Hurt Because "Drugs and doping have become so commonplace now that the public is increasingly blasé about them."
- NY Times: "He was the best cyclist of his time, in maybe the dirtiest sport in existence."
- Travis Tygart On Armstrong Case: "This is the most witnesses we've ever had in any case come forward." New York Times
International News From Retired/Almost Retired Olympians
- Outrage Grows Among Chinese Public Over Liu Xiang's "Staged" Olympic Race A newspaper revealed that TV stations knew of the injury and "that the moment had been carefully scripted" with 4 possible scripts prepared for news anchors.
- Liu Xiang Speaks Out And Says He "Felt Healhty" On The Olympic Starting Line
- Carolina Klüft To Retire After She Makes Her 400 Hurdles Debut Next Week
- Asafa Powell Refuses To Get Surgery To Try To Fix His Chronic Groin Problems He rightly states that there is no guarantee he'll be able to come back at all after going under the knife. He admits that he doesn't work as hard as he should with "the exercises and stuff like that." Hey, it's not like it's his career or anything.
- Paula Radcliffe Has Successful Foot Surgery
Pleads Guilty Gives Up
USADA To Ban Lance Armstrong For Life And Strip Him Of All 7 Tour de France Titles USADA chief exec Travis Tygart: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes. It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win." *ESPN
*MB: BREAKING Report: Lance Abandoning Fight vs Doping Charges, TDF Titles Gone
*Lance Armstrong's Full Statement On USADA Refers to USADA's investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
More Drugs: Dick Pound Says Despite All The Drug Testing At The Olympics, The Dopers Are Winning The former WADA chairman criticizes his successor for not taking the advice and making use of the expertise of Victor Conte. Pound accuses countries of not caring and only handing out 2-year bans since they want their athletes back in action.
US Olympic-Related News
- Bad News: Morgan Uceny Decides To End Her Season Due To Injuries Sustained In Olympic Fall
- USA Today Picks Up On Nick Symmonds Beer Mile WR Attempt (Includes Video)
- US Athletes Continue The Fight Against Rule 40 Sanya Richards-Ross: "What is the IOC's biggest asset? The athletes, yet many of my peers have nothing while $6billion generated around games."
- Despite Rule 40, NIKE Still Got Away With Ambush Marketing At The Olympics You had to be color blind not to see their bright yellow-green neon spikes in every race.
- Good Read By RunBlogRun: "Curtis Beach Is One Of A New Breed Of Emerging American Decathletes" "Beach's primary strength is his running. Seeing this as a distinct advantage ... when it is appreciated that Beach has run a decathlon 100 in 10.7 and closed out a 10-event competition with a sub-4:00 1,500."
- Lolo Jones Says If Fame Was All She Wanted, She'd Just Do A Sex Tape On her teammates' bitterness: "I didn't see that one coming at all. I kind of understand their frustration, I guess, because they feel like they don't have media or photo shoots or any of that off-the-track stuff that they might want. But from my end of it, if I had a medal, that's all I would need."
- RunnerSpace Blog: If We Want To Capitalize On Olympic Hype To Build The Sport, Planing Needs To Start Years Before The Games Begin
- Chinese TV Knew Of Liu Xiang's Achilles Problem Before The Start Outraged headlines read "Liu Xiang Knew, CCTV Knew, the Leaders Knew - Only the Masses Waited Stupidly for a Miracle to Happen."
- Crazy, 1 In 6 Did This In Beijing: Paralympic Athletes Warned About The Dangers Of "Boosting," The Doping Of Choice In The Paralympics Boosting is an illegal practice where an athlete hurts themselves to get an adrenalin rush to enhance performance. It "involves extreme measures such as strangling their own testicles, breaking bones, stimulating muscles with electric shocks or blocking catheters."
- Rugby Player Might Have His Contract Cancelled After Making An Offensive Tweet About Mo Farah
- Really Random: Finland Dominates At Annual Mobile Phone Throwing Championships And yes, there's video.
- David Rudisha Gets About $36,000 For Winning In London/Breaking WR
- Chairman Kisaiah Kiplagat Says AK Is Not To Blame For Kenya's Olympic Performance And Says He Doesn't Think They Failed
- Steve Spence Continues His 37-Year Streak Of Sub-5:00 Min. Mile Tonight With A 4:52.9 - Story Inside!
- Nick Symmonds Breaks US Record In Beer Mile For those of you who don't drink and run, that's 4 laps and 4 beers. The world record is 5:09 in an event dominated by Canadians. The old US record was 5:31. *Beer Mile Top 100 Records
- Nick Symmonds Likely Loves Yohan Blake's Agent
Yohan Blake's Agent Cubie Seegobin Basically Hates Ian Stewart & Says It's Insulting Stewart Only Offered Yohan Blake $40,000
Recommended Read Japan's 2:07:48 Marathoner Arata Fujiwara, Who Beat Stephen Kiprotich In Tokyo, Reflects On His Olympic Marathon Disaster "In the marathon you have to run with clean, beautiful movement in a good rhythm. If your form is off then it's not going to go well." and "I have a kind of outlaw existence in the Japanese athletics world,
so I imagined that if I screwed up I'd be pretty widely attacked."
Deceased Australian Sprinter Who Stood In Solidarity With Tommie Smith And John Carlos In 1968 Gets Apology From Aussie Govt.
US News: Ajee Wilson Deferring College, Lukas V Rehab, Rupp AR Attempt, Detroit Olympics?
Galen Rupp Video Interview: "Looking back I think if I had started my kick a little sooner I would have had a chance [to win the 10,000]." "With 300 to go, I probably should have just gone for the front and went for it." Says he might go for the 5,000 AR in Zürich.
800 World Junior Champ Ajee Wilson Defers College To Pursue Spot On 2013 World Team, But Says She's Not Turning Pro She had previously declared for Florida State University.
- Video Update: Lukas Verzbicas Seems To Be Progressing Well With His Rehab
- Kara Goucher: "Leading the Olympic Marathon for 12 miles is the biggest thrill I have ever had in my career." "This was a moment in my lifetime that would never be replicated."
- Q&A With Brett Gotcher, Who Was The Official Olympic Marathon Alternate When asked if he thought he should have been in there given that Hall and Abdi dropped out, he said, "Those guys earned the spot. I missed my chance at the Trials ... I don't blame them at all."
- Could Detroit Host The Olympics? They actually were the IOC's 2nd choice behind Mexico City back in 1968.
- Molly Huddle Could Make A Move To The 10,000 For The Rio Olympics She'll be 31 in 2016.
- Seb Coe Lists His 50 Favorite Olympic Moments Mo Farah, Allyson Felix, and of course David Rudisha highlight the list. On Felix, he said, "She is a sprinter who restores your faith in the purity of sport. She is definitely not from the bodybuilding school of sprinting but runs with the grace of a gazelle."
- Mo Farah Says He Wants To Get A Commonwealth Games Title In Glasgow 2014 Before He Changes His Focus To The Marathon
- Olympic Medallists To Lose Out To Senior Civil Servants In UK Knighting System
- Video Interview With Sally Kipyego Talking About Kenyan Team Tactics She emphasized how hard the Kenyans train compared to Americans and said they think her training is "easy."
- Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki Urging The Ministry Of Sports To Move Fast In Investigating The Cause For The "Dismal Performance" At The London Games
- Sad News: Somalian 2008 Olympic Sprinter Samia Yusuf Omar Drowns In Boat Accident She was supposed to run in the London Games as well, but died just a week before.
- Paper: "Jamaica: The Sprinters Paradise" College professor offers his theory for Jamaica's recent dominance of sprinting events.
- Double Olympic Javelin Champ Andreas Thorkildsen Decides To End Season After A Disappointing Olympics And Poor Season
- Jessica Ennis Wants To Front A Fashion Campaign For A Major Designer
- Jeff Demps To Sign Contract With New England Patriots
- Brief Chat With Ashley Higginson, Who's Decided To Forgo Law School In Colorado For Rutgers Instead So She Can Stay With NJ/NY Track Club "You're a pro runner ... you're not a kid in a candy shop with Julie Culley and Delilah DiCrescenzo to show you around anymore."
Stockholm Diamond League Meet *Full Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews *Yahoo Photos
LRC Stockholm Diamond League Full Recap Updated A slew of Olympic champions competed and some did really well and some did awful. Duane Solomon ran a great 800m, Evan Jager ran a PR and revealed he wants to run a 5k, and Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson ran seasonal bests. Now with quotes and interviews.
More: LRC Evan Jager Wants To Run A 5k, But Coach Jerry Schumacher Is Against It
LRC Shannon Rowbury Speaks Out Against Drug Cheats
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Explains How He Got So Much Better This Year
LRC Andrew Wheating Runs 1:46.4 In B Race And Says It's A Positive Step
LRC Full Results *Video Highlights
*IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly *Reuters
*Bolt Didn't Run Because He's Too Expensive, Say Meet Organizers
*Valerie Adams Dominates In Stockholm
LRC Live Thread
Pre-Meet: LRC No More Steeples This Year: Evan Jager Tell Us His Goals For Stockholm & The Rest Of The Season The American record holder in the steeple is running the flat 3,000m on Friday in Stockholm. What's his goal? He tells us and also says there will be no sub-8:00 steeple this year as he's done steepling for 2012.
Looking Ahead To Next Week And 2024
Next Sunday's Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix Will Be A 12,800 Sellout We think we are supposed to be excited that a post-Olympic meet with Mo Farah can draw a minor league baseball crowd.
Paralympics Won't Be Covered Live On NBC Either
As Dallas Natives, We Say This is A Horrible Idea Unless It's In May Or October - Dallas Wants To Host 2024 Olympics *Average Temps For Dallas By Month
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
*IAAF's 12 Highlights Of London 2012
*London Athletes Face Post-Olympic Blues It now even has an official name: Post-Olympic Stress Disorder, or POSD.
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Recommended Read: Coach Renato Canova Analyzes The Olympic Marathon: "I think nobody could think of STEPHEN KIPROTICH as a possible Olympic Champion," says Canova, who doesn't think it's really possible to do well in a spring marathon and then again in the Olympics.
On The Boards: Meb Keflezighi = American Marathon of the Year! Perhaps they mean of the last 30 years.
Update On Ryan Hall, Abdi Abdirahm Dropping Out Of Marathon
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
*USA Today: Kiprotich: "Now, I am known and I am happy that I am known."
*RRW Recap *AP Recap
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*Picture: Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Swap Victory Poses
*Mo Farah Says He Wants To Move To The Marathon Eventually, But Not Yet
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field.
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
*Editorial Saying This Will Hurt Bolt In US With Endorsements We Disagree. The article nails it in describing how entertaining Bolt was in the rest of the press conference.
*Article From Last Month Explaining What Lewis Said
*Yohan Blake's Watch Has Caught The Eye Of IOC Brand Police
*Four Years Ago, Warren Weir Was Watching The Olympics From The Couch, But Now He's Part Of A Jamaican 200 Medal Sweep When asked what Bolt whispered to him before the start, he said, "1-2-3." All 3 are coached by Glen Mills.
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashton's are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Gators Christian Taylor And Will Claye Go 1-2 In Triple Jump 2nd medal of Games for Claye as he got bronze in the LJ.
NYTimes: Day Of Drama In London
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold In 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
LJ: After Four Straight World Titles, Brittney Reese Gets Long-Sough- After Olympic Gold
*Reese Celebrates With Mom Who Told Her To Turn Down Basketball Scholarship For College & Focus On Track
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
*Deadspin: Algerian Runner Booted From Olympics For Quitting A Race Reinstated After Getting A Doctor's Note
*Taoufik Makhloufi: The Man Who Won Olympic Gold After Being Thrown Out For Not Trying An honest assesment of the DQ situation and questioning the rules around it.
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
RR: Felix Sanchez Weeps Tears Of Joy And Dedicates 400H Win To His Grandmother, Who Passed Away After The First Prelim In Beijing 2008 He ran with a photo of him and his grandma tucked under his jersey and "Abuela" scrawled in black pen on the straps of his spikes. When he won, he honored his grandmother by kneeling in the middle of the track and kissing her photo.
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi (One Of The 1,500m Favorites)
Kicked Out Of Olympic Track Meet Reinstated Makhloufi's
performance in the
1,500m semifinal on Sunday was absolutely stunning but not as stunning as what happened 15 hours later. Less than 24 hours after the race, he was disqualified from the meet for not giving an honest effort in the 800m round 1 on Monday. After an appeal, he has now been reinstated. *Discuss
LRC Men's 10,000m: Mo Farah Gets It Done As Galen Rupp Gets Historic Silver Mo Farah powered home to win Britain's third track gold medal of the night and first long-distance gold in 104 years, as his training partner Galen Rupp got America's first men's flat long-distance track medal since 1964 with silver. The bronze went to Ethiopia's Tariku Bekele, as he held off his brother, Kenenisa.
10,000m: Tirunesh Dibaba Makes The Case For Being The Greatest Ever The Tirunesh Dibaba/Vivian Cheruiyot dual did not live up to the hype, as Dibaba was simply stunning the final 500 meters, crushing the field to assert her claim to best female distance runner ever. Sally Kipyego
got second, Vivian Cheruiyot third. Afterwards, Dibaba said she wants to run a marathon next year.
*MB: Dibaba!!? wtf *OFFICIAL WOMENS 10 000M THREAD
Brimingham DL Is Tomorrow *Start Lists
- Good Matchups Set For Birmingham Mo Farah up against Bobby Curtis and David Torrence in 2 mile, Vivian Cheruiyot and Sally Kipyego in 3,000, an interesting LJ which includes Olympic champ Greg Rutherford, Olympic TJ champ Christian Taylor and Will Claye,
Morgan Uceny andAnna Pierce in 1,500, all three 110 hurdles medallists, Mariya Savinova vs. Pamela Jelimo and Maggie Vessey/Molly Beckwith, Christine Ohuruogu vs. DeeDee Trotter, as well as a lot of the names from the Lausanne men's steeple and 1,500. Plus a Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Carmelita Jeter rematch in the 100.
- Also Tomorrow In Dubnica: Meet Will Feature Dawn Harper, Nesta Carter Vs. Michael Frater, Jeneba Tarmoh 800 bronze medallist Timothy Kitum going for 1,000m World Junior Record (2:15.00 Benjamin Kipkirui from 1999). Duane Solomon and Abraham Kipchirchir (1:43.13 this year) are also in the race.
US Olympians In The News
- IAAF Does A Profile Piece On Leo Manzano They seem obsessed with his height, as it opens with "Manzano may carry a pint size stature but the Olympic 1,500m silver medallist proved he has a heart as big as his much taller rivals ... At five feet five inches tall, Manzano was dwarfed by his opponents..."
- Andrew Wheating Returns Home To Vermont For A Brief Vacation And Says He Knows He's A "Top Five Competitor In The World" "I'm still young and I've got one more Olympics in me. My peak years are 27 to 29, and I'll be looking to capitalize there."
- Lolo Jones Says If Dawn Harper And Kellie Wells Want More Publicity, They Should Have Hired A Marketing Agent
*MB: LoLo Jones, Looks like Harper and Wells are a tad bitter
- Great Deadspin Article Ripping Apart The NY Times Article That Ripped Lolo
- Donn Cabral Says He'll Probably End Up In The "Pacific Northwest" That most likely means Evan Jager will be getting a new training partner at the OTC.
- Allyson Felix Running 200 At Zagreb Meet On September 4th
Lausanne DL *Full Results
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Runs 3:31.96 For Third The twenty-two-year-old American continued to roll as in his first race post-London he skipped the 3:32s and 3:33s to run 3:31.96 and come close to the win in Lausanne.
*Video Of Centro's Race
*MB: CENTRO 3:31!! *What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
Results: Yohan Blake 9.69, Usain Bolt 19.58, Pamela Jelimo Over Mariya Savinova, Matt Centrowitz 3:31, Leo Manzano 3:34, Galen Rupp DNF The two Jamaican sprint stars came to play in Lausanne. But the mid-d and distance action left you wondering how the Olympic results were as they were. In the 1,500, the American silver medallists didn't really show up as Leo Manzano was 10th and Galen Rupp didn't finish, as Silas Kiplagat got the win and Matt Centrowitz showed why he's the best American miler when healthy. In the women's 800, Pamela Jelimo got the win over the 2012 Olympic champion, and in the 3,000, Jenny Simpson was dead last - proving in our minds that her problems in 2012 aren't a matter of confidence or tactics, but rather fitness.
*IAAF Recap *AP *BBC
*MB: The Good: CENTRO 3:31!! *9.69 - My head just exploded
The Bad: What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
The Ugly: JennyB needs a new coach fast
- Yohan Blake Is Now Tied With Tyson Gay For 2nd Fastest Man In History
- Show Them The Money: Yohan Blake Says He Raced Despite Being Sick All Week Blake also admitted not racing Bolt has to do with money: "I would run with Usain any day, he's my training partner. I would love to run with him, but they have to put up big money."
- Usain Bolt Might Try 400 And Long Jump For Rio 2016
- Greg Rutherford Says He Could Beat Usain Bolt "Easily" If He Ever Switched To The LJ Pretty cocky statements from the man who had the shortest gold-medal-winning leap in 40 years.
- USATF List Of All US Performances From Lausanne: Dawn Harper And Jason Richardson Win Sprint Hurdles Aries Merritt was DQed for a false start; David Oliver was a close 2nd to Richardson.
*MB: Donn Cabral at Lausanne and his future He was 10th in 8:31.
- Steve Hooker Actually Gets Off The Ground With 5th Place Showing (5.70m)
- Carmelita Jeter Beats Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce In Close Race As They Both Clock 10.86
- Qatar's Moutaz Essa Barshim Ahmed Wins Lausanne HJ In 2.39m, Olympic Champ Ivan Ukhov Was 2nd And UK's Robbie Grabarz Was 3rd, Tying The UK NR (2.37) French Olympic PV champ Renaud Lavillenie won over Germany's Malte Mohr and UK's Steve Lewis on countback.
- Valerie Adams Dominates SP
*While Near IOC Headquarters In Switzerland, Adams Is Handing Over Her Silver Medal And Seeking Answers As To When She'll Get Her Gold Nadzeya Ostapchuk has appealed, so it might be awhile.
- Olympic Gold Medallist Barbora Spotakova Wins Jav Over Mariya Abakumova And Sunette Viljoen
IAAF Preview: A Fantastic Meet Will Take Place On Thursday - 13 Gold Medalists Including Usain Bolt + Silver Medalists Leo Manzano Vs. Galen Rupp At 1,500 The should be very entertaining as everyone's
post-Olympic hangover should be out of their system by now. In the 1,500, Silas Kiplagat will be looking for redemption as Leo Manzano and Galen Rupp try to prove their silver medals were not flukes. Savinova vs. Jelimo at 800. Kim Conley, Shannon Rowbury, Jenny Simpson in 3,000. Yohan Blake vs. Tyson Gay in 100. We apologize as this is the first Diamond League meet all year we haven't previewed ourselves.
*MB: Who You Got in Thursday's Silver Medal Fight? Galen Rupp Vs Leo Manzano at 1,500
*MB: Galen Rupp Will NOT Run Faster Than 3:34 In Lausanne
*Press Conference Highlights From Lausanne - Bolt, Blake & Merritt All Talk
*Usain Bolt Quashes Retirement Talk - Says He'll Definitely Be In Rio
*Bolt's Coach Wants Him To Do 400m In 2016, He Wants To Do Long Jump
*Pamela Jelimo Will Get Another Chance At Russian Olympic Medallists Mariya Savinova And Yekaterina Poistogova In Lausanne Donn Cabral will face Paul Koech and bronze medallist Abel Mutai in the steeple.
*Nick Willis Looking Forward To Lausanne 1,500m After Fast 1,000 Galen Rupp, Leo Manzano, Matt Centrowitz in there too, as well as Kenyans Silas Kiplagat and Nixon Chepseba.
Pathetic/What About The Sport?
Bolt Won't Race Blake The Rest Of Year Imagine if Federer refused to play Nadal.
*Bolt Celebrates His 26th Bday With Helicopter Ride Over Swiss Alps
Zurich 8/30: YouTube Man: Kenyan Jav Star Julius Yego Looking To Continue His Breakout Season At Zurich DL August 30th Yego made history in London when he became the first African to make the Olympic final and set a continental record.
Monday/More Weekend Track Action
- Monday In Linz, Austria: Kirani James, Felix Sanchez Impress Overall recap.
- *Men's 1000m: Seurei Wins, Nate Brannen 2:16.52, Over Nick Willis (Missed NZ Record By .01), Wheating, Torrence Willis for some reason was getting top billing earlier. Brannen deserves it. He is in fabulous shape and fell in London. Kirani James won the 400 (44.46) as Oscar P was 6th (46.91). In the 800, Hanna England ran 1:59.66 to beat Anna Pierce and Molly Beckwith. Felix Sanchez won the 400H; Michael Tinsley was 3rd. Other action included a poor steeple showing by Bridget Franek (9:52.90) and bronze medallist Kellie Wells losing to US runners Ginnie Crawford and Queen Harrison in the 100H. *Full Results *Cory Martin Wins City Shot *MB: Brannen 2:16:52 1000m
- Budapest: Christian Taylor, Sanya Richards-Ross (200) And Jason Richardson All Win In Budapest Olympic bronze medallist Timothy Kitum won the 800. *IAAF Recap
- Sunday In Warsaw, Poland: Reese Hoffa Defeats Gold Olympic Medallist Tomasz Majewski Again To Win Shot Pot Other US action at the meet included Jeneba Tarmoh winning the 100 in 11.30, Duane Solomon taking 3rd in the 400 (46.07), Leo Manzano 4th in the 800 (1:47.84) as Kenya's Nicholas Koech won in 1:46.12 and Brenda Martinez winning the 1,500 (4:20.31). *Full Results
- Saturday In Germany: Olympic Champion Ivan Ukhov Finishes A Terrible 5th Place In HJ Meet As Bronze Medallist Mutaz Essa Barshim Wins Over Robbie Grabarz He blames some recent weight loss on affecting his form.
Pick The Right Event And Being An Olympic Champion Will Get You A Lot Of $$$
- Ricky Simms On Bolt's Marketing Opportunities: "Of course, he's going to be competing for the next four years so he can't turn into Kim Kardashian. He still has to be an athlete."
- Mo Money No Problem For Champ Mo Farah As He Lands Deal With Virgin Media Worth Up To £500,000
- Q&A With PACE Sports Management Agent Ricky Simms Who Represents Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Vivian Cheruiyot And Others
- What Does Being The World's Fastest Man Get You? Usain Bolt Gets Tortoise Named After Him
- Usain Bolt Might Have Won Three Gold Medals, But He Only Got 2nd In The Social Media Olympics UK diver Tom Daley attracted the most followers on Twitter/Facebook and Michael Phelps was 3rd.
- Or Not ... Olympic 800 Champ Mariya Savinova Feels Disrespected By Her Hometown Region They refuse to give her the Olympic prize money promised to medallists for the region since she's also registered in two others.
More Post-London News
- Recommended Read: Mo Farah Has An Identical Twin Brother Who Was Separated From Him By Their Parents And Stayed Behind In War-Torn Somalia Hassan Farah: "Of course Mo and I were on a par as runners. ...Who knows what I could have become? We could have been famous twin Olympic athletes. ... We share the same genes."
- UK's Bronze Medallist HJer Robbie Grabarz Says The Sound Of The Home Crowd Cheering For Him Was Actually "Scary" "A track athlete gets that once and then they race, whereas I had it repeatedly, even during my warm-up. I don't think I'll experience pressure or an atmosphere like that again in my whole career - no matter what I do or where I go."
- NZ Coach On Nadzeya Ostapchuk's Masculine Appearance: "She'd frighten a police horse, she would."
Post-Olympic Distance News
- Morgan Uceny Injured After Fall And "Not sure what the rest of my season holds." She's on the start lists for the 800 in Linz today but we assume she's not running.
- German Fernandez On His Pro Career: "I know I can do special things." Modesto Bee
- Geena Gall Back In Michigan Reflecting On Her First Olympics
- Kenyan Editorial: "To write that the mandarins at AK and Nock have outlived their uselessness is an understatement." LRC has a simple solution. Let the Kenyan athletes train with their normal coaches and things will be fine.
- Breathing Gadget May Have Helped Mo Farah Get Golds
- Gabby Douglas, Lolo Jones, Lisa Uhl Get Huge Welcome In Iowa Before 5,000 Fans
- Brits (And 2008 Olympians) Jenny Meadows And Craig Pickering Reflect Back On Not Being 2012 Olympians
- Q&A With Stephen Kiprotich Where He Talks about Being Olympic Marathon Champion allafrica
$ And The Law
- Usain Bolt Was Too Expensive For Stockholm Diamond League Meet This Year And As A Result There Were Empty Seats Bolt is too expensive for most DL meets. The article should have focused on the meet losing its main sponsor and having a new director.
- Sally Pearson Ready To Cash In On Olympic Gold And Become A Millionaire
- Economic Impact Studies Of Big Events Are Often BS
- Valerie Adams Not To Take Legal Action Against Nadzeya Ostapchuk
- Usain Bolt Says He May Play Cricket We say no way he plays cricket or football at a major level.
A Slow News Saturday
- Craig Miller (3:58.4) And Heather Kampf (4:35.8) Win $4,000 At Inaugural GNC Live Well Liberty Mile The same duo won the US road mile titles back in May. Jordan McNamara and Gabriele Anderson were the runners-up.
Pre-Race: Bring Back The Mile Interview With AJ Acosta, Who's Running The Live Well Liberty Mile In Pittsburgh Asked if he saw Leo Manzano's silver medal race, AJ responded, "I did get a chance to see that. I'm looking forward to seeing him get a future gold medal and Matthew [Centrowitz] getting a future bronze medal. It's definitely an exciting time."
- Recommended Read: Cyclist Who Admitted To Doping For 1st Time In NY Times Op-Ed, Jonathan Vaughters, Goes Into Greater Detail About His Doping Past His first team leader was a guy who went to church four times a day, and even he eventually let them dope as everyone else was doing it.
- Irish Olympic Official: We Need To Give Up On Major Sports As We Have No Chance And Focus On Minor Ones
- Valerie Adams Hoping To Get Gold At Lausanne DL Meet Next Week, But Ostapchuk's Appeal Will Thrwart Those Plans
- More Than 18,000 Welcome Jessica Ennis Home To Sheffield
- She Would Have Retired Had She Won, But Yelena Isinbayeva Wants Gold In 2016
- World Javelin Champ Mariya Abakumova Trying To Get Over Shock Of Not Making Javelin Final In London
Kenyans Still Mad They Didn't Win More
- Kenyan Columnist: Get Rid Of Inept AK And Create A Fresh Team He calls for the head of AK chief Isaiah Kiplagat.
- Kenyans Still Trying To Figure Out Why They Won Half The Marathon Medals But Not Gold
- Kenyan Columnist: All Hail David Rudisha, He Saved Country's Face The columnist was so upset with the rest of the Kenyans he almost stopped watching the Olympics.
Some Olympians Are Getting Treated Well & Others ...
- HJ Silver Medallist Erik Kynard Appeared On David Letterman On Thursday Night (Video)
- Lolo Jones Was On PTI
Support A Great Cause: 10-Man Team Will Attempt To Break 1,000-Mile Relay WR In Memory Of Penn State PVer Who Died Competing In 2002 The Kevin Dare Foundation provides college scholarships to severely injured or ill high school student athletes. Penn St. alum Ryan Foster among those running. *Website
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Saturday: W800: LRC The World Champion Is Now The Olympic Champion As Mariya Savinova Wins Comfortably Over Caster Semenya (updated) Russia's Mariya Savinova came from way back to win the gold comfortably in 1:56.19 and retain her global superiority. Caster Semenya had a blazing last
100 to grab the silver, but waited
way too long to kick to challenge for gold. Defending champ Pamela Jelimo led with 200 to go, but faded badly and was the first outside the medals.
*David Epstein: "Silver Medal in 800 meters Offers Little Clarity in Semenya Speculation" Talks about speculation as to how Semenya came out of nowhere again to get silver and points out how those who objected to her in the past (such as Savinova) seem to be fine with her now that she's losing.
Saturday Relay Action:
- Bolt Is 6-For-6: Usain Bolt And Jamaica Make History With A New 4 X 1 World Reocrd (36.84) Bolt gets his back-to-back triple crowns. The US was second, actually equalling the old WR, but still well beaten by Jamaica. *IAAF Event Report
- Tim Layden: "In a Games filled with memorable moments, few resonate like Bolt"
- It Was A Disappointing Games For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre This article was from before the 4 x 1 final, but we doubt he's any happier, as France just missed a medal.
- US Women Win 4 X 4 Relay With Fastest Time In 19 Years Allyson Felix gets her 3rd gold medal of the games, Sanya Richards-Ross her 2nd. Richards-Ross said, "By the time I got the stick, it was basically a victory lap." *MB: ALLYSON FELIX JUST SPLIT 48.8
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha ?
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
*LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800 in college, but that's what she'll run in London.
*Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah And Galen Rupp Are Feeling Recovered And Ready For 5k
*Allyson Felix Looking For Redemption In 200 As All 3 Americans Advance To The Final
*Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Prepare For The 200 Showdown In What They Both Consider Their Best Event
*Asafa Powell Won't Compete In Jamaican 4 X 1 Due To Injury He's out for the rest of the season, but plans on being back in 2013.
- 100 Hurdles: Sally Pearson Wins Gold In Olympic Record As US Athletes Take Spots 2 Through 4 Dawn Harper took silver and said, "I feel like I kind of shut some people up. You got to talk about Dawn a little bit." Kellie Wells was 3rd, Lolo Jones 4th.
*RR: Tim Layden: Jones Misses Glory In 100 Hurdles While Manzano Wraps Historic 1,500 "Because of the compressed nature of multiple-gold medal nights in the Games, it is not uncommon for journalists to find themselves stuck in the basement, watching history on a tiny screen while collecting quotes from athletes who performed in earlier events. It is unavoidable. Yet this moment was far more instructive."
*Lolo Jones Leaving The Olymipcs "Broken-Hearted" Again
- HJ: Russia's Ivan Ukhov Wins HJ Gold As US's Erik Kynard Gets Silver And Jesse Williams A Disappointing 9th Ukhov's come a long way since trying to high jump drunk at a meet back in 2008.
*Top-Ranked UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Finishes In A 3-Way Tie For Bronze Tied with Canada's Derek Drouin and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar.
- Discus: Robert Harting Celebrates Discus Gold By Doing Lap Of Honor And Going Over Hurdles Set Up For The 100H Final He also ripped his shirt; officials tried to stop him. Definitely a discus thrower we'll remember.
IAAF Full Tuesday Recap
- TJ: After All The Drama, Phillips Idowu Fails To Make TJ Final
- Shot Put: Nadzeya Ostapchuk Defeates NZ's Valerie Adams To Get Shot Put Gold For Belarus
*Valerie Adams Admits Having To Deal With Her Name Being Omitted From Official Start List Stressed Her Mentally As She Failed To Defend SP Title
- USATF: All Expected US Athletes Move Through Tuesday Qualifying Rounds Smoothly
M Steeple: LRC Ezekiel Kemboi Wins Second Olympic Steeplechase Title - Is He The Greatest Steeplechaser In History? Kemboi blitzed everyone in the last 300 and had time to finish out in lane eight once again before doing his now-patented victory dance. Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad
took silver as he did in 2008 and Kenya's Abel Mutai won bronze. Defending champ Brimin Kipruto was tripped with 700 to go and heroically tried to rally, but ended up fifth. Evan Jager and Donn Cabral were 6th and 8th.
*Ezekiel Kemboi Says His Track Career Is Over Now And He'll Be Switching To The Marathon
100 Final: BOLT: Tim Layden: "In many ways, this one was better." (link fixed) If you ever thought there was a better short sprinter in the world think again. Usain Bolt delivered on the biggest stage once again in the gretest 100m final ever. All 8 men would have broken 10.00 but Asafa Powell, the man who has gone sub 10 more than anyone else in the world, pulled up before the finish.
W Marathon: LRC Tiki Gelana Wins 2012 Olympic Marathon As Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher Finish 10th And 11th The star-studded field featured Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplgat, and Liliya Shobukhova, but in the end it was the marathon's new star Tiki Gelana who got the win. American Shalane Flanagan was 10th and teammate Kara Goucher 11th. LRC analysis, recap and more from London.
*Kara Goucher After Marathon Finish: "Honestly, I haven't felt that kind of pain since I had a baby. I'm serious." Flanagan said all the turns really broke her rhythm and "trashed her legs."
*IAAF Marathon Recap *MB: OFFICIAL WOMENS MARATHON THREAD
- Women's 400 Final: Sanya Richards-Ross Gets Gold, GB's 2008 Champ Christine Ohuruogu 2nd World champion Amantle Montsho was 4th.
*SRR Comletes Climb To Top SI.com
*BBC: Ohuruogu's Disappointed To Lose Her Olympic Title And Leave Only With The Silver
Saudia Arabia Sends Women To Olympics
LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800
in college, but that's
what she'll run in London.
*NY Times: Attar's Family Asked School Website To Take Down Photos Of Her Competing In Singlet And Shorts
*Philip Hersh Says Recent Gender News Isn't Quite As Good As It Seems Still needs to generate change at home.
Collegiate News: NCAA XC Is Just Around The Corner
- RW Brief Chat With Trials 10k Runner-Up Natosha Rogers "It wasn't a disappointment, but it was almost just kind of like a slap in the face because, I mean, I did get second and I think I kind of proved myself. But you have to go by the rules, so ..."
- Running Times Piece On Lawi Lalang's To Stardom Coach Li Says Lalang is stronger aerobically than Bernard Lagat was at his age.
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Lausanne 1,500: Centro 3:31.96
- Sunday: Patrick Makau And Geoffrey Mutai Racing At Mombasa Marathon Article doesn't specify if they'll actually run the full marathon or the 10k that is also part of the event.
*Kenya To Start Having Drug Testing In All Domestic Sanctioned Events
- Inaugural Mandela Day Marathon Set For Sunday Willie Mtolo, the first black South African to win the NYC Marathon in 1992, will be running.
- Chicago: After DNFing The Olympic Marathon, Liliya Shobukhova Looking To Make A Strong Return By Winning Her 4th Chicago Marathon On Oct. 7th
- NYC: RRW: ING NYC Marathon Announces New No-Baggage Policy *Runner's World Article *MB: NYC Marathon NO BAGGAGE!!!
- Brief Chat With Top US Masters Runner Pete Magill On His Plans For A Debut Marathon At Twin Cities In October
Annoynmous Japanese Runner Criticizes The Japan System Where The Options After Graduating Are "Should I go to a corporate team or quit?" His post comes in reaction to the decision to eliminate what is essentially the individuals' team from Hakone Ekiden.
Impressive 9-Year-Old: Canadian Marathon Adds Age Restriction To Barr 9-Year-Old Tyler Heggie From Entering He's already run at least 2 other marathons (including this one last year as an 8-year-old). His fastest is 4:26.
Head Kenyan Coach Julius Kirwa Has Asked The Government To Ban Foreigners From Training In Kenya And Learning "Kenya's Training Tactics" He cited those such as Mo Farah, Stephen Kiprotich and Taoufik Makhloufi, who've used training in Kenya to win medals.
- Lananna No Longer The Head Coach At Oregon, Maurica Powell Rejoins Program As Assistant
- Internal Disciplinary Procedures Against Athletics SA (ASA) CEO Frik Vermaak Surrounding Misappropriation Of Funds At Another Company
Non-DL Weekend Action
- Scotty Bauhs, Jeffrey Eggleston & Ethiopian Tesfaye Sendeku Highlight Elite Field For Sunday's San Diego's America's Finest City Half Marathon
The Only Thing Worse Than Cheating Is Cheating And Then Lying About It
- SF Giants Star Melky Cabrera Tests Positive & Admits It "My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used."
*MB: A Doper I Respect: SF Giants Star Melky Cabrera Tests Positive & Admits It
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Goodbye London 2012 - Closing Ceremony Photos Gallery
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Britain's Sunday Herald Picks Up Block Story & USADA Says "There is an investigation going on."
*Pat Forde Of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 8 Olympic Photo Gallery: Women's 4 X 100 WR, Uceny Falls, Women's 5,000m Final
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
Day 1 Friday Photo Gallery: Women's 10k And Men's Shot Final, Round 1 Steeple, 1,500
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
Usain Bolt The Video Game Is Out
LRC Usain Bolt The Video Game For Iphone/Ipod - Q & A With Friend Of LRC Matt Taylor Bolt!, the Usain Bolt Iphone/Ipod free video game was released yesterday. We talk to LRC guest columnist Matt Taylor, who was instrumental in the game coming to fruition.