Olympic Track & Field Action Has Started *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *Entry Lists
Tuesday's Action *IAAF Event-By-Event Olympic Previews *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
LRC: Tuesday AM: Liu Xiang's Olympics (And Career?) Over The
2004 Olympic champion and former world record holder eerily had the
same bib number as he did at the Beijing Olympics. And just like in
Beijing, he left the track with an Achilles injury. This time it was
after smashing the first hurdle. Then in a display of sportsmanship, he hopped on one leg the entire length of the stadium and kissed the
final hurdle in his lane as if to say goodbye.
LRC Friends And Family Preview Of Day 5 Of The Olympic Games Track And Field A slower day at the Olympic Stadium in terms of big finals, but definitely still a day worth watching, as it includes the final of the men's 1,500 (or "metric mile" for your non-track friends) as well as heats of the men's 800 and women's 100m hurdle final.
*IAAF Day 5 Preview
*HJ Final, Too: GB Olympic HJ Hopeful Robbie Grabarz Almost Quit The Sport Last Year To Work A Job Restoring A Private Collection Of Ferraris
*MB: Symmonds and the Semi from hell
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
RR: Felix Sanchez Weeps Tears Of Joy And Dedicates 400H Win To His Grandmother, Who Passed Away After The First Prelim In Beijing 2008 He ran with a photo of him and his grandma tucked under his jersey and "Abuela" scrawled in black pen on the straps of his spikes. When he won, he honored his grandmother by kneeling in the middle of the track and kissing her photo.
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi (One Of The 1,500m Favorites)
Kicked Out Of Olympic Track Meet Reinstated Makhloufi's
performance in the
1,500m semifinal on Sunday was absolutely stunning but not as stunning as what happened 15 hours later. Less than 24 hours after the race, he was disqualified from the meet for not giving an honest effort in the 800m round 1 on Monday. After an appeal, he has now been reinstated. *Discuss
More 800: LRC The Americans React - Nick Symmonds & Duane Solomon Are Still Dreaming Of Medals As The 36-Year-Old Khadevis Robinson Fails To Make Final Yet Again KD has represented the US 9 times and has never made an outdoor final. We catch up with a disappointed Robinson as well as Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds, who both won their heats and want to medal.
800 1st Round Race Recaps: LRC Duane Solomon Looks Like A 1:43.44 Guy As He Dominates His Heat As He And Nick Symmonds Advance To The Semis
*David Rudisha Rules Out Going For His Own WR At The Olympics
LRC Men's 1,500 Semis: After A Stunning, Stunning Win In Heat 1 - Do We Have A New Favorite? Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi's win in heat 1 over reigning world and Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop came so quickly and was so dominant that former 1,500, mile and 2,000 world record holder Steve Cram couldn't believe what he was seeing. Is it too good to be true? Or is something wrong with Kiprop (and the others in his heat)? In the end, the major players all advanced, including two Americans, three Kenyans and Nick Willis. Is Andrew Wheating's season now done?
*Kiprop: "I have a slight strain with my hamstring but there's nothing to worry about." *Discuss
*Or Is It An Achilles?
10,000m: Mo Farah Gets It Done As Galen Rupp Gets Historic Silver Mo Farah powered home to win Britain's third track gold medal of the night and first long-distance gold in 104 years, as his training partner Galen Rupp got America's first men's flat long-distance track medal since 1964 with silver. The bronze went to Ethiopia's Tariku Bekele, as he held off his brother, Kenenisa.
More On Rupp's Historic Day:
- RR: Tim Layden: "Farah, Rupp Solidify Brotherhood With Historic Finish In Olympic 10k" Sports Illustrated
- Kenenisa Bekele On Rupp And Farah: "I knew they were dangerous, but I can't stop them." Oregonian
- MB: FARAH WINS! RUPP SILVER. SALAZAR SEALS HIS LEGACY!!!
- I Cried Watching Rupp Get Silver
- Oh my GOD what is Rupp going to do in the 5000??????
- RUPP COULD HAVE WON IT
- Cam Levins nowhere to be seen on final lap
- What happened to Ritz
10,000m: Tirunesh Dibaba Makes The Case For Being The Greatest Ever The Tirunesh Dibaba/Vivian Cheruiyot dual did not live up to the hype, as Dibaba was simply stunning the final 500 meters, crushing the field to assert her claim to best female distance runner ever. Sally Kipyego
got second, Vivian Cheruiyot third. Afterwards, Dibaba said she wants to run a marathon next year.
*MB: Dibaba!!? wtf *OFFICIAL WOMENS 10 000M THREAD
LRC 1,500 Round 1: The Favorites And All 3 Americans Advance But Not Without Some Intrigue Andrew Wheating has been doing more swimming than running, Nate Brannen has been just running, Nick Willis is/was planning for the final, Asbel Kiprop is trying to save energy, and Nixon Chepseba nearly fell. It doesn't matter. All of them are in the semifinal. LRC recap, analysis, and post-race athlete reaction.
*Nick Willis Fitter Than When He Got Silver In Beijing He says he's been so excited it's been hard for him to sleep more than 6 hours a night.
*MB: Chepseba has been reinstated to the 1500m *NBC snubs Wheating!!! *The Official Men's 1,500m Thread
Scientist Who Has Studied 100,000 Runners Says Don't Listen To Quacks - Running Is Good For You "It's important to not rush to any conclusions that 10 to 20 miles a week is the optimal dose."
Ryan Hall Talks To LetsRun.com
LRC Ryan Hall Hoping To Have "Best Stuff Ever" At 2012 London Olympic Marathon On Friday, LetsRun.com spent over 30 minutes talking with Ryan Hall. An optimistic Hall talked about his training has turned around, his goal for London,
how he still thinks he's learning a ton, how he thinks his best marathon is ahead of him, and a whole lot more. We got Hall to give us the specifics of his training which has recently been changed to emphasize speed more often. Is he back at altitude? Hint: He gave the interview from the birthplace of LetsRun.com. How much mileage does he do? 20 x 1k? 10 miles of in and out 400s? *Discuss
*LRC Help Pick Ryan Hall's Shoes For The Olympics Asics made 3 pairs of specially-designed shoes for Hall and he wants your input as to what he should wear.
*5,639-Word NY Times Front Page Sports Article On The Faith-Coached Ryan Hall Sara Hall: "The Bible is not going to tell you how to be a good runner ... I don't think Ryan is looking at the Bible for a formula, necessarily. There are certain things that God highlights for him that he applies to his training."
Amateur Hour II
Update: Nike Responds (Like We Thought They Would) "Gaining entry into the Nike box is an informal process and we plan to review our protocol for access for future events." *MB: Mark Block: Nike
LRC Why Was A Man In The Midst Of A 10-Year Doping Ban Enjoying The 2012 US Olympic Track & Field Trials From The Nike Sky Box? If you thought the days of looking the other way at doping were totally over, then you need to read this. Supposed former agent/coach Mark Block, who is in the midst of a 10-year doping ban, was seen by LetsRun.com njoying the Trials in the sky box of the #1 sponsor of both USATF and the Olympic Trials - Nike. All we can say is shameful. *MB: Discuss
2012 Monaco DL *Full Results
LRC: Evan Jager Breaks The American Steeplechase Record Evan Jager got the AR in just the 5th steeple of his life. Medalling at London isn't out of the question. Only a steeple recap above, but in other action, Asbel Kiprop made running 3:28.88
look easy as Nick Willis ran a 3:30.35 PR.
And in the 800m Duane Solomon is now the fastest active American as he blitzed a 1:43.44 ahead
of Nick Symmonds.
*Evan Jager Race Highlight Video
LRC Asbel Kiprop Reasserts Himself As The Olympic Favorite By Running A Sensational 3:28.88 The defending Olympic champ made a statement by running a 53.43 last lap with a 26-flat last 200 to mark himself as the London favorite. At the same time, Nick Willis marked himself as a medal contender with a stellar 3:30. Robby Andrews was a DNF and Centro and Manzano were DNSs. *Race Video
LRC Duane Solomon Is Now The 5th-Fastest American Ever At 1:43.44 Americans, it's official - you can dream of your first 800 men's medal since 1992 after Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds both ran in the 1:43s, but on this night, the hype justifiably belongs to Solomon, who had a massive PR. *MB: DUANE!!!
LRC The Rest Of The Meet: Alysia Montano, Jenny Simpson And Caster Semenya Disappoint In the women's 800, Semenya was awful throughout and Montano didn't look like a medal contender. In the 3k, Simpson was unable to break 70 on her final lap.
Olympic Track & Field Action Has Started *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *Entry Lists
Monday's Action *IAAF Event-By-Event Olympic Previews *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Tuesday AM: LRC Olympic Women's 5,000 Heats: Molly Huddle And Julie Culley Make Final As Favorites Advance It was a great day for the American women. Two PRs and two women to the final as Tirunesh Dibaba began her quest for Olympic history by doubling as 5,000/10,000 Olympic champion.
W Steeple: LRC World Champion Yuliya Zaripova Becomes Olympic Steeplechase Champion Zaripova was a deserving champion as she led from to start to finish, getting rid of her challengers with a blistering last lap. The US's Emma Coburn PRed to finish night as Bridget Franek struggled. *Discuss
*Updated: Americans Emma Coburn And Bridget Franek React On Their First Olympic Final
W 1,500 1st Round: LRC Jenny Simpson Survives A Big Scare As Three Americans Advance And Genzebe Dibaba Goes Home (link fixed) A letup at the line is what seemingly saved the reigning world champion Jenny Simpson from bombing out in the first round. The #4 seed Genzebe Dibaba did go home.
*MB: What was Jenny Simpson doing?
More Monday Results:
- USA! Jen Suhr Wins Gold, Denying Yelena Isinbayeva Her 3rd Consecutive Olympic PV Title; Michael Tinsley Gets The Surprise Silver In The 400 Hurdles Cuba's Yarisley Silva also beat Isinbayeva to take PV silver. In the w400H heats, all three Team USA athletes advanced to the Wednesday night final.
*30-Year-Old Isinbayeva Considering Rio Games "My plan was to get a gold medal here in London and then retire but I don't want to retire with a bronze medal so maybe I will think about Rio so at least I can get my gold medal there in Rio and then decide."
- All Three US Women Advance In First Round Of 100m Hurdles Includes US athlete quotes from all events.
- Defending Olympic 400H Champ Melaine Walker Goes Home Early
- IAAF Full Day 4 Recap
M Steeple: LRC Ezekiel Kemboi Wins Second Olympic Steeplechase Title - Is He The Greatest Steeplechaser In History? Kemboi blitzed everyone in the last 300 and had time to finish out in lane eight once again before doing his now-patented victory dance. Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad
took silver as he did in 2008 and Kenya's Abel Mutai won bronze. Defending champ Brimin Kipruto was tripped with 700 to go and heroically tried to rally, but ended up fifth. Evan Jager and Donn Cabral were 6th and 8th.
*Ezekiel Kemboi Says His Track Career Is Over Now And He'll Be Switching To The Marathon
100 Final: BOLT: Tim Layden: "In many ways, this one was better." (link fixed) If you ever thought there was a better short sprinter in the world think again. Usain Bolt delivered on the biggest stage once again in the gretest 100m final ever. All 8 men would have broken 10.00 but Asafa Powell, the man who has gone sub 10 more than anyone else in the world, pulled up before the finish.
LRC Man Throws Beer Bottle That Nearly Hits Usain Bolt, Gets Beaten By Female Judo Champ
*Lightning Strikes Twice: Usain Bolt Defends His 100m Title With A 9.63 Olympic Record Yohan Blake was second and Justin Gatlin just outleaned Tyson Gay for 3rd. Ryan Bailey was 5th.
*MB: Bolt 9.64 OR!!!! *Justin Gatlin! UGH *Bolt pauses interview to show respect to the USA anthem
*Asafa Powell Pulls Up In 100 Final With Injured Groin And Jogs In For Last Place
W Marathon: LRC Tiki Gelana Wins 2012 Olympic Marathon As Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher Finish 10th And 11th The star-studded field featured Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplgat, and Liliya Shobukhova, but in the end it was the marathon's new star Tiki Gelana who got the win. American Shalane Flanagan was 10th and teammate Kara Goucher 11th. LRC analysis, recap and more from London.
*Kara Goucher After Marathon Finish: "Honestly, I haven't felt that kind of pain since I had a baby. I'm serious." Flanagan said all the turns really broke her rhythm and "trashed her legs."
*IAAF Marathon Recap *MB: OFFICIAL WOMENS MARATHON THREAD
- Women's 400 Final: Sanya Richards-Ross Gets Gold, GB's 2008 Champ Christine Ohuruogu 2nd World champion Amantle Montsho was 4th.
*SRR Comletes Climb To Top SI.com
*BBC: Ohuruogu's Disappointed To Lose Her Olympic Title And Leave Only With The Silver
- M 400 Semis: US Olympic History: This Will Be The First Time In Olympic History The US Hasn't Had A Man In The Olympic 400 Final Bryshon Nellum was the first out of the final and NCAA Champ Tony McQuay was 3rd out (includes recap of other US performances and quotes from Day 3).
*Oscar P Fails To Make 400m Final He did, however, exchange racing bibs with World Champ Kirani James.
- TJ Final: GB's Yamilé Aldama 5th In TJ; Kazakhstan's Olga Rypakova Takes Gold
- IAAF Day 3 Full Recap
- Saturday Leftover: Jessica Ennis Video: Says She's Passing On The Opportunity To Run The Open 100m Hurdles Even though the 12.54 she ran on Friday would be good enough to win most previous Olympic Games.
More Saturday Stuff
Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah And Greg Rutherford Get Gold On Britain's Greatest Olympic Night Ever 80,000 fans got what they wanted - gold for Britain. Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis delivered as promised and the bonus was Greg Rutherford's gold in the long jump on a special night for Britain.
- IAAF Full Day 2 Recap - All Events
- Heptathlon: UK Poster Girl Jessica Ennis Wins Olympic Heptathlon Russia's World Champ Tatyana Chernova got the bronze and defending Olympic Champ Natallia Dobrynska was a DNF.
- LJ: Greg Rutherford Gets LJ Gold For UK With The Shortest Winning Jump In 48 Years Will Claye got the bronze for the US.
- Women's 100: Fast Final As 6 Go Sub-11: Jamaica's Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Repeats, Carmelita Jeter Takes Silver, Veronica Campbell-Brown Bronze The US also took 4-5 with Tianna Madison and Allyson Felix.
- LRC Women's Olympic Steeplechase First Round In The Books: (Super-Pumped) Franek And Coburn Make The Final The favorites made the final despite a fall and so did Americans Bridget Franek and Emma Coburn. The joys of the Olympics came out when Franek learned she had made her first final.
- One Day, Three Golds For Hosts GB
- Men's 100m Round 1: Ryan Bailey Outpaces Bolt, Blake, Gay
- Former World Champ Kim Collins Reportedly Doesn't Run Because He Visited His Wife In A Hotel Room
- Dwain Chamber Happy WIth Warm Welcome From UKers As He Wins His 100 Heat In 10.02
- Men's 400m: LaShawn Merritt Goes Out With Injury
- Blade Runner Cruises To Next Round NYTimes
*Oscar P's Fitness Trainer Didn't Realize Oscar Was An Amputee For 6 Months
*Good Read: SI's David Epstein Takes An In-Depth Look At Pistorius And Any Advantage He May Have
- Science Of The Sport On Oscar P's Advantage
- 400H: SA's World Champs 3rd Placer LJ van Zyl Out In Heats Of 400H
- US News: Recap Of US Performances From Saturday Finals And Quotes From Athletes
*US Gets Athletes Through To Finals In m100, m400, wPV, wSteeple (Includes Quotes)
Final Is Friday At 3:55 PM ET: LRC Women's 1,500 Preview: Is Anyone Favored In This Wide-Open Affair? And What About The Americans? Do Simpson, Rowbury or Uceny stand a chance? And is the favorite Russian Ekaterina Kostetskaya, who went to HS in the US?
- LRC Guess Who Was In Monaco On Friday? Banned Agent Mark Block The banned agent Mark Block, who just happened to be hanging out at the Nike hospitality suite for the Olympic Trials, just happened today to be in Monaco, site of the Diamond League meet. Evidence also points to him also being at the Penn Relays, Mt. SAC and the Jamaican Invite. Plus he was in Daegu last year. And a trusted source says Block drank a celebratory beer in "Cap's Corner" at the Trials, where he also watched the women's 100 from the Nike box and not just the 200. Hey, Nike - It's pretty easy; why don't you ask John Capriotti, your Global Director of Athletics, if he knew Block was in the VIP area. If so, fine or suspend him for poor judgement. At a minimum, tell him, "Block's presence is unacceptable." And tell your star athletes Jason Richardson and Carmelita Jeter the same thing.
- IAAF Announces 9 Doping Suspensions And The Worldwide Press Eats It Up:
Rojo Nine Over-Hyped Doping Suspensions Or A Savvy PR Move Gone Too Far? Headlines across the globe are talking about the 9 doing suspensions announced by the IAAF on Wednesday. Yet LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson finds himself not happy with the way the development was announced and broadcast to the world. *MB: IAAF finds 6 new dopers using biological passport
- LRC 8:16 Spanish Steeplechaser Dropped From 2012 Olympic Team Amid EPO/HGH Doping Probe A local Spanish paper has released a reported email exchange between 8:16 steepler Angel Mullera and a doctor from
Saudia Arabia Sends Women To Olympics
LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800
in college, but that's
what she'll run in London.
*NY Times: Attar's Family Asked School Website To Take Down Photos Of Her Competing In Singlet And Shorts
*Philip Hersh Says Recent Gender News Isn't Quite As Good As It Seems Still needs to generate change at home.
More Bolt And 100m News
- Usain Bolt: "This one means more because a lot of people were doubting me saying a lot of things that a lot of people could beat me."
- Olympic 100m Final Lego Style
- The Telegraph: "Athletes Striving To Be Faster, Higher, Stronger ... And Drunker After Events Start To Finish" This one isn't actually about Bolt, but it probably will be after his events are done.
- "Weird" Olympic Stadium Security Rules Frustrate Bolt
- *MB: Bolt takes 41 steps vs everyone else's 44...
- Afghanistan's Only Female Athlete Happy To Have Had Olympic Experience www.telegraph.co.uk She ran 14.42 in the first round of the 100.
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
You Might Want To Update Your LRC Prediction Contest: Tirunesh Dibaba Confirms She Will Race Olympic 5,000
Mark Block Talks About His "Mistake"
LRC Mark Block Gives His Side Of The Story The banned agent talks to flotrack and says he travels to track meets across the globe as a form of therapy, says he technically he still can coach athletes (yet is never asked if he actually does), says he went into the Nike VIP suite - where he felt at home - at the Olympic Trials because it was cold, and feels as if he's paid a steep price for his mistake of ten years ago. He never tells or is asked what his "mistake" was - namely the doping of his world champion wife. We obviously disagree with his take on things and tell you why.
Day 1 Friday Photo Gallery: Women's 10k And Men's Shot Final, Round 1 Steeple, 1,500
Day 1 US Non-Distance: Reese Hoffa Gets US's First Track Medal With A Bronze In The Shot Put 2008 champ Tomasz Majewski repeated to win over David Storl. US's Christian Cantwell and Ryan Whiting were 4th and 9th. All US runners advanced in the first rounds of the w100, w400, and m400 hurdles. Carmelita Jeter won her heat in 10.83.
The Conscience Of The Sport
LRC What Are Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Doing With Mark Block? All year long, two of the America's three individual track World Champions from last year have been traveling the globe and associating with convicted doper Mark Block. Whether it's been dinner in California, a walk to the track in Jamaica or a pre-meet stretch in China, Jeter and Richardson haven't been shy about continuing to associate with someone deeply involved in the BALCO scandal, who is currently supposed to be banned from the sport for ten years. All we want to know is "Why?"
LRC We Rank The US Mid-D And Distance Olympians' Odds For A Medal No one has the guts to rank all the US Olympians in terms of their medal hopes but us. While we're a little fearful of the athletes' reactions, we think the piece is very positive, as for the first time in recent memory, if not ever, the US men have a legitimate medal contender in every event. *Discuss
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
Craziest Sports Video Ever - Worth A Watch
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
Usain Bolt The Video Game Is Out
LRC Usain Bolt The Video Game For Iphone/Ipod - Q & A With Friend Of LRC Matt Taylor Bolt!, the Usain Bolt Iphone/Ipod free video game was released yesterday. We talk to LRC guest columnist Matt Taylor, who was instrumental in the game coming to fruition.