The 8 Days Of Marathon Madness Has Begun
Boston Marathon Monday *Men's Results/Splits *Women's Results Splits *Winners Photo Gallery *Video Highlights
Recommended: Excellent Post by Science of Sport on Boston Conditions: The Surge Between 25 and 30k and the Sun Did the Leaders In We'll have more LRC analysis but this post does an excellent job of explaining what happened. Also read this
post that explains why telling people to over prepare for the heat may not be the best idea. And only 427 people deferred to next year's race.
RRW: Wesley Korir Comes From Behind for Shock Victory Korir, the former University of Louisville, Ron Mann coached athlete was 57 seconds behind the leaders with less than five miles to go. Then the heat took its toll on leader Levy Matebo and Korir stormed to victory in 2:12:40 as American Jason Hartmann used a similar tactic to get 4th in 2:14:31. The winner was nearly 10 minutes slower than last year. Crazy.
*Top Results/Splits *Winners Photos *Video highlights
More Men's Boston:
- Jason Hartmann on Getting 4th: "This is the body God gave me. I have no control over that, and I just try to do the best with the abilities I've been given." Denver Post
- Champ Wesley Korir and Jason Hartmann Talk About Prevailing in the Heat, Geoffrey Mutai Not Too Upset About Dropping Out Hartmann: "I circled this on my calendar and every day this is what I prepared for. I wasn't gonna fail today. I came here to do something, fortunately for me it worked out"
- A Race of "Redemption" for Jason Hartmann in Boston (Article and Video) RW
- RW Takes a Look at Retro Win for Wesley Korir Post race interview as well. Korir may do a lot of his training in Mennonite country in Canada but he is a great hot weather runner as he showed Monday and last year in Boston.
- Geoffrey Mutai Dropping Out Complicates Kenyan Olympic Picture "Time Plus" will be a key factor for selecting the team. And Wesley Korir won't be on it.
Boston on the Boards: Official Boston Thread
- Jason Hartmann Looks a Lot Heavier than 160
- Would Ryan Hall Have Won Boston Today?
- OK - Which year at Boston was hotter - '12 or '04?
- How many of your friends are FLOPPING at Boston right now?
- Pull a "Glenn Randall" (GR)
- Kellog is more lucky that smart
Other Weekend Action
- Rotterdam:LRC No WR - No Kenyan Win: Ethiopia's
Adhane Spoils The Party & Wins 2012 Rotterdam Marathon In 2:04:47 2011 was unofficially the year of the marathon for the Kenyan men, but 2012 seems to belong squarely to the Ethiopians who now have the top 5 times on the year. Moses Mosop's WR attempt was "stopped" as was his bid for victory. After a 1:01:37 1st half, the pace slowed in windy conditions, but Yemane Adhane emerged victorious in 2:04:47 over compatriot
Getu Feleke (2:04:50) as Mosop was third (2:05:02). Ethiopia's Tiki Gelana became the 4th-fastest women in history the with a stellar 2:18:58. *IAAF
*MB: Rotterdam Marathon live stream *New huge PR for Moses Mosop!
*New: Canova: Calf Injury Ts To Blame For Mosop's Struggles wCanova said Mosop ran on hard pavement the last 3 days in Kenya. The Ethiopians credited their success to a change in their training regime to feature more speed work.
Marathon Mission's Catriona Jennings Gets 'A' Standard in Rotterdam
Pre-Race: LRC Moses Mosop Goes For Glory: "Moses Has Speed That Has Never Been Seen"
Interesting Read: Learn About "Marathon Mission:" Ireland's Version of Marathon Group Training
- Vienna: Haile G (60:52) Beats Paula Radcliffe As Radcliffe
Runs Slowest 13.1 Of Her Career (72:03) Radcliffe came in after recently having bronchitis but was expecting better. Meanwhile, Kenya's Henry Sugut won the marathon in 2:06:58.
*Paula To BBC: "I am at a loss to explain why it was quite so bad. I still would have expected and hoped for a time in the 69s."
*Classic British Press Over-Reaction: Tearful Paula Radcliffe Sees Hopes Of Olympic Medal Fade In Vienna
*Geb On Paula: "Paula is an inspiration but I would ask all British people not to expect too much of her. I don't expect Paula to win the Olympics."
- Dublin: MB Kenenisa Bekele Looks Majestic In His Return He destroyed the field and impressed at least once message board poster who seemingly watched the race.
*27:50 Destroys Mottram's Course Record By 46 Seconds On Hilly Course
*IAAF: Bekele sparkles with 27:49 10km in Dublin Bekele was happy afterwards: "The good news is that all of my training which has been based towards to the track season, has shown to be successful here also."
*Pre-Race: Irish Times: "One of the sport's all-time greats is in town, but it's not creating much of a stir - and that's the way he likes it," Writes IAN O'RIORDAN
- Paris: Kenyan Stanley Biwott (2:05:11) And Ethiopian Tirfi Beyene (2:21:39) Set Course Records Despite Swirling Winds And Chilly Temperature
- Nagano: Kenyans Get Wins In 2:09:02 And 2:34:22 In Paris
Worth a Read
LRC 8 Days For Glory - A Kenyan Flavored Preview Of The Upcoming Men's Marathon World Record Assault Over 8 days starting this Sunday, six Kenyan men - the four fastest marathoners of all time (Geoffrey Mutai, Moses Mosop, Patrick Makau and Wilson Kipsang), plus double World Champion Abel Kirui and Virgin London Champion Emmanuel Mutai - will fight for three Kenyan Olympic spots on the streets of Rotterdam, Boston, and London.
- Debate Over Women's Road Racing Records Still Continues Desiree Davila: "It's like getting into baseball statistics where you say, 'It's the first home run in a Wednesday game when the sun was at 45 degrees. If we're going to qualify all these different things with the record, it's going to start becoming silly. I feel like it kind of takes away from it."
- Matthew Centrowitz And His Father Talk About How He Learned Strategy For The 1,500 Washington Post Matt Centro Sr. talks about how he used reverse psychology on his son to get him into track in the first place.
- Much Of London Opening/Closing Ceremonies Music Won't Be Performed Live Also, there is a rumor that the Spice Girls will be playing during the Games.
- Is The Use Of Hi-Tech Shoes & Uniforms Cheating?
- Where Are They Now?: Greek Drug Cheat Kostas Kenteris Talks about his career and staged motorcycle crash and history of missing drug tests.
- Q&A With Yelena Isinbayeva She refuses to reveal what she says when she's seen talking to her pole.
Recommended Read: Meet 2:19:44 Marathoner Florence Kiplagat, Who Is Focused On Winning London The former World Cross and World Half star was a soccer player in school who picked up running after being told do so by her uncle - 2:06:50 marathoner William Kiplagat. Her goal was to come to school in the US, but that didn't work out and the rest is history. A year ago, we wondered prior to Boston if she'd be the world's new marathon star. The answer seems to be yes. Her 66:38 half from February proves she is fit.
Weekend US Track Action *Stanford Results *Florida Results
Jeremy Wariner Runs 1st 400 Of Year - 45.64 - Leaves "a little disappointed." Last week, he split 44.58, so we understand why he's upset. He did say, "My strength is where I want to be at."
Stanford Invite: Nice IAAF Recap Of Stanford: Areson Makes Up 35m Gap And Catches Lisa Uhl & Gets World Lead; Ritz Wins And More Dathan Ritzenhein won the 10,000m in 28:21 in his first track race in 2.5 years, Jackie Areson got an Olympic "A" qualifier in the 5,000 (15:18.31) as Lisa Uhl just missed (15:21). Chris Derrick won his slower section of the 1,500 in 3:41.17 to beat Evan Jager and Lawi Lalang, and Kevin Castille ran 28:57 10k at age 40!
Florida Relays Marvin Bracy False Starts, 7th Grader Daesha Rogers Runs 2:09.44 Orlando Sentinel
*Results Alan Webb's 2012 struggles continued as he ran 1:54.17 for 800m and then 40 minutes later 3:54.08 for 1,500m.
On The Boards: 3:54 Webb? Really?, 7th Grade Girl Wins Florida Relays 800
A Racewalker That Would Make Jimmy Wyner Proud
Kiwi Olympic Racewalker Was DQed For Doing Forward Somersault At Finish Line Of 1st National Champs "Some people might get upset about [the disqualification], but I did what I set out to do and I wasn't too concerned whether they gave me a medal or not."
High School Big News
17-Year-Old High Schooler Cayla Hatton Runs 33:17 10,000m Olympic Trials "B" Qualifier The prodigy only started running full-time this year. Now she's putting up a time that would make her 5th in the NCAAs last year. Truly ridiculous. The time is so fast some were wondering if it was a lap short, but this
it's legit and shows she ran every lap (16:30-16:46).
*A Q&A With HS Prodigy Cayla Hatton Two years ago, she was in awe of Kara Goucher and asking for her autograph. Now she'll be racing against people like her at USAs in the 10k.
World Indoors *Results *Video Highlights For US Visitors *UK Visitors *Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 3,000m Final Lives Up To The Hype World 5,000m champion Mo Farah squared off with two-time world indoor champion Bernard Lagat and 2012
World leaders Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi of Kenya. Once again, Bernard Lagat was too good. They were all in contention on the final lap. There was some contact, two guys running on the infield, a DQ and a resintatement, but none of that stopped Bernard Lagat from showing he's the best 3,000m runner in the world.
LRC 800s: Pamela Jelimo Is Back As USA's Erica Moore Gets Bronze, 18-Year-Old* Mohamed Aman Gets Gold The last time Pamela Jelimo was any good, Erica Moore wasn't an 800m runner. They both left World Indoors pleased, as Moore made her first sub-2:00 clocking count with a bronze medal. In the men's race, 18-year-old* favorite Mohamed Aman got gold. On The Boards: Erica Moore 800m at Worlds
LRC Hellen Obiri Stuns Four-Time World Champ Defar link fixed Obiri Closes In 4:06.6 For Gold Get used to the name Hellen Obiri. Last year, she ran internationally for the first time and won the Kenyan 1,500m championships. This year, in the fourth 3,000m of her life, she came from behind to stop Meseret Defar from getting her 5th world title.
IAAF Final Day Recap: Brittney Reese Is Incredible, Aries Meritt Upsets Liu Xiang, Will Claye Wins Brittney Reese had her back to the wall in the long jump, so what did she do? Unleash a jump that made her #3 all-time to win.
Boston Women *Women's Results Splits *Men's Results/Splits *Winners Photo Gallery *Video Highlights
Sharon Cherop Outkicks Jemima Sumgong Cherop was third last year and third at the World Championships but she got the huge win here as she outdueled countrywoman Jemima Sumgong. Believe it or not was the
5th straight year the women's race has been decided by 3 seconds or less.
*Top Results/Splits *Video highlights including exciting women's finish
*RunnersWorld Article on Cherop's Win Post-Race Interview as well.
*40 Year Old First American Sheri Piers is From Maine But Was Ready for Heat Thanks to Training on a Treadmill Text and Interview.
Non Boston News
Paula and Geb Race Aftermath: Gebrselassie to Run His Final Track 10,000m Next Month in Hengelo
*Steve Cram Says Don't Count Paula Radcliffe Out We agree 100%. Paula ran a 1:12 half-marathon this weekend in her match-race with Geb but was sick beforehand. More Paula here.
This Weekend: All Set for Round 1 of Kenyan Olympic 10,000m Trials This Weekend and a Few Top Stars Will Be Missing
Craziness: Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Says Cops or Security May Have Killed Him and that Doctors May Have Injected Him With Lethal Chemical to Speed Up His Death
Good News: USADA Busts First Athlete for HGH Use
LetsRun.com Post Boston Track Talk Show which was broacast live immediately after the race:
Listen in the player or download here as Rojo and Wejo broke down the race.
Non-Rotterdam/Boston Marathon Weekend Action
BAA 5k: LRC Course Records Fall As Ben True Outkicks Sam Chelanga For BAA 5k Title As Werknesh Kidane Wins Women's Race Olympian Desi Davila was only 10th in the women's race but wasn't too upset afterwards.
BAA Mile: Morgan Uceny & Collis Birmingham Earn Wins The times may not appear fast but remember it's on a 500-meter long block with 90-degree turns.
Pre-Race: LRC Quest For $100,000 Begins At BAA 5k Believe it or not Sam Chalenga has a good shot at winning not this race but $100,000 and is up against Ethiopia's Ali Abdosh and defending champ Ben True.
George Mason: LRC Alan Webb Redeems Himself With A 3:43 1,500m/ 14:15 5,000m Double, Robby Andrews Opens With 1:49 Win Alan didn't win the 1,500m, but his performance was so much better than last weekend's 1:54/3:54 debacle that all Alan Webb fans like this guy can breathe a sigh of relief. And the message boards went nuts with Webb: here, here, here, here.
Update: Video on Webb's Race
Jamaica: Usain Bolt Blasts Asafa Powell In 4 X 100 To Open Season World 100m champ Yohan Blake ran a super-impressive 9.90 to open the season as well and didn't even get mentioned in the Reuters article.
*IAAF Recap Of Bolt/Blake's Run With pics of small crowd.
*Video Of Bolt's 4 X 100 Win Over Powell *Video Of Blake's Opener
S. African Champs: Oscar P Only Runs 47.28, LJ Van Zyl Only Runs 51.00, Semenya Runs 2:02.68 To Win, Mulaudzi Runs 1:45.68 To Win Sounds like Oscar didn't try very hard, saying, "I felt like I was at the verge of pushing it into the red. I didn't see the point of really doing that."
Semenya Wins But Doesn't Break 2:00 - Says It's Key She Doesn't Panic "It was okay for me. I retained my title but the race was a bit disappointing because we were hoping for a qualifier but unfortunately I didn't make it, but the time will come. I just need to be patient."
Austin: Jeremy Wariner Runs 46.43 For 400m It was really, really windy.
Australian Champs: Melissa Breen Misses Olympic Qualification By .02 In 100, Tamsyn Manou Wins In 2:02.01
*Results *"B" Standard Is Not Good Enough For Tamsyn Manou To Go To Olympics
High Schooler Haley Crouser Sets National Javelin Mark (Her Brother Set The Javelin Mark 2 Years Ago And Her Cousin Set The Discus Mark Last Year)
South Africa National Champs
- Oscar P Makes 400m Final With Slow Times At SA Champs This article says he "eased" to 48.34 and 47.91 in the semis. However, another article says he looked "sluggish." Caster Semenya didn't race as there were enough scratches to cancel the heats and advance her automatically to today's final.
- Stephen Mokoka Wins And Gets 10k Olympic "A" Standard At SA Champs He won in 27:40, but is leaning towards doing the Olympic marathon which he already qualified for.
- Aussie Champs: Recap Of Day 1 Of Aussie National Champs
US News From A Retired Runner, Alan Webb, And The 2nd-Fastest HSer In The Country
- Alan Webb's Wife Julia Says He's Healthy & This Past Weekend's Races Aren't Indicative Of His Training
- Recommended Read: Adam Goucher Writes On Walking The Line Between Tough And Stupid
- Foot Locker Runner-Up Futsum Zeinasellassie Commits To Northern Arizona University
- US's World Indoor 60m Hurdle Champ Aries Merritt Credits Success From Change To "7 Step" Approach He says with US depth, the Olympic Trials is harder than the Olympics, but that's definitely an exaggeration as he won't have to race Liu Xiang or Dayron Robles at the Trials.
- Would Steve Prefontaine Have Become A Legend In An Era With Few College Dual Meets?
Interesting Olympics News
- Seb Coe Says China Will Top Overall Olympic Medal Tables He predicts China, US, and then Russia and hopes UK could be 4th.
- Good: Japanese Comedian Hiroshi Neko May Be Ineligible For Cambodian Olympic Marathon Team The guy who deserves to go is Hem Bunting, who will be trying to break the 2:18 Olympic B standard at Sunday's Paris Marathon.
- Kenya 4 X 4 Team Will Get Some Experience At The Penn Relays
- Group Creates Fake Version Of London Games Website To Protest BP's Olympic Sponsorship
- NBA Players Ray Allen And Dwyane Wade Say They Should Get Paid To Play For Team USA At The Olympics LeBron James says he's happy to play for free, though.
*Columnist Says No Way Olympic Players Should Be Paid "The chance to lean over, and have someone slip a gold medal over your head. For many, it will be the most cherished day of their sporting lives. That's not enough for someone? Then why be there?"
- Sprinter Delano Williams Defends Decision To Try Out For GB Olympic Team Because His Native Nation Isn't Eligible For London 2012
- After A Poor 2011, UK Olympic 400m Champ Christine Ohuruogu Is Clocking Better Times In Training Than She Did Before Beijing
- Kenya To Spend ~$5.5 Million Marketing Itself At London Olympics Mary Kimonye: "These games are very important to the country considering that we have won more than 50 per cent of the medals since the Games began." Not sure where that stat came from, but it's clearly wrong.
US Track News
- April 21st: Deep Mile Field For Kansas Relays Field has Nick Symmonds, Will Leer, A.J. Acosta, Russell Brown and Lee Emanuel.
- A Revised Fundraising Plan May Save Maryland Men's Track And Field Calls for no indoor team and an outdoor roster of only 14 opposed to 27.
- Chris Solinsky Says He Never Realized How Easy He Had It Until Trying To Come Back From Surgery/Injury
- Article On OP's Jackie Areson, Who Set A 33-Second 5k PR To Get The Win And Olympic "A" At Stanford Apparently she had no idea what pace she was on until the last lap as her coach told her not to look at the clock until 400 to go.
Alberto's Book On Sale Now, Buy It From Our Partner Amazon And Support LRC
Great Read If You Didn't Read It Yesterday: Alberto Salazar Unplugged - Part II This interview with Amby Burfoot is
From Ritz's struggle in the marathon, to Ritz's form change, to Alberto's competitive relationship with Jerry Schumacher, to Galen Rupp's marathon future and, to Alberto's biggest
regrets, Amby Burfoot leaves no question unasked and Alberto doesn't shy away from any of them and talks about Rupp running 12:45 and in the 26:20s.
*Part I: Alberto's Book & The "Duel In The Sun"
MB: An Incredible Amby Burfoot Interview With Alberto Salazar
*The Wall Street Journal Positively Reviews Alberto Salazar's New Autobiography Pre-order the book today here (it's released tomorrow) and get Amazon price guarantee.
Ryan Hall Movie
LRC Ryan Hall Feature Film In The Works A full length film on Ryan Hall's quest for glory in London 2012 is in the works. Learn more about the film "41 Days," watch a trailer, and learn how you can help support the film and get some Ryan Hall memorabilia. Image below.
On The Boards: Ryan Hall's Big News
LRC Carey Pinkowski Reflects On Khalid Khannouchi's Career: "He Was The Absolute Best I've Ever Seen" The Chicago marathon director talks about the man who made his name
in the Windy City. Plus quotes from London Marathon director Dave Bedford and a tweet from Ryan Hall.
LRC Marathon Legend Khalid Khannouchi Officially Retires Khalid Khannouchi, one of the greatest marathoners of all time, has told LRC that he is officially retiring from competitive running. Khalid helped revolutionize the sport of marathon running, setting two world record in the span of three years, including his final one at the "Greatest Marathon Ever Run" - the 2002 London Marathon matchup that featured Khannouchi, Paul Tergat and Haile Gebrselassie.
Lisbon Action *LRC Updated Full Photo Gallery
Shalane Flanagan Wins Lisbon Half, Tadese Three-Peats Updated with IAAF story The American got the big upset win (just
as we predicted)
and Zersenay Tadese got the win but not the world record (just as we predicted - a broken clock is accurate twice a day). Flanagan ran
68:51 for the win.
OTB: Flanagan wins Lisbon. Lock for Olympic gold?
*Will there be an official Lisbon half-marathon thread?
*Letsrun...seriously your picking Shalane Flanagan to win the 2012 Lisbon Half Marathon?
*Full Photo Gallery
*LRC Lisbon Half Marathon Preview
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
Another Tight Boston Women's Finish (Larger here, Men's Highlights Here)
Men's Boston Highlights
Lopez Lomong's Life Saga In 3 Minutes And 51 Seconds
Excellent Video Of Mosop Running In Kenya And Talking About Rotterdam (More Stunning Videos Of Peter Kirui Here And Sammy Kitwara Here Running In Kenya) - Our Favorite Is The Kirui One Because Of The Music
Week In Review (Updated With More Info On Jeremy Wariner Here)
LRC WTW: Is Jeremy Wariner Done? What About Alan Webb? Our Favorite Race Walker, Brie Felnagle, Chris Derrick, Running Movies and More We scan the world and wonder is Jeremy Wariner done? What about Alan Webb? Brie Felnagle definitely isn't and neither is David Adams. Chris Derrick has more speed than you thought. Plus we tell you about our favorite racewalker, talk about two running movies in the works, Bekoji Ethiopia, and we even give you some injury advice.
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery
Alberto Salazar's Book Released And Endurance Now On DVD
Week In Review
LRC WTW: America's Newest Female Running Prodigy, Galen Rupp's Medal Chances, A Kenyan Gets 7 Years Older In 2.5 Months, Bekele's World Records And The World's Winningest Marathoner Who Is Not A Big Fan Of The World We span the globe so you don't have to. Can Atsedu Tsegay knock Galen Rupp off the medal stand at 10,000m? How does someone get 7 years older in 2 months? Plus info on America's latest distance prodigy and the World's winningest marathoner seems to not be a big fan of the World. Much more, including a great profile on Edwin Moses.
Spice Up Your Day With This Steeple Fail (Turn Up Volume) *MB Thread
Train Smarter (More In The Running Training Forum)
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 3/25
- Bored X coach, willing to give unwanted advice
- What are your best bang-for-the-buck running tips?
Three Nice Deals On Running Shoes
1) Nike Free 2+ $59.98 For men - 1 color only at this price. Other colors and women $79.99-$99.99.
2) Adidas Leap $49.98
3) Brooks Adrenaline 11 $59.98
Little LRC gets a commission with your purchase.
Train Smarter - More In The Running Training Forum
- Kellogism vs Coeism
- Based on these workouts, what event would you have me run?
- Does a night of little sleep ruin my workout
- Running a Marathon on No Training?