LRC The Week That Was In Running: March 5 - March 11, 2012 This week, we wonder if the NCAA milers could have beaten Bernard Lagat at Worlds if they'd jumped into the 3k with a mile to go, compare Chris Derrick to Galen Rupp, tell you how Meseret Defar was beaten at Worlds, tell you how many NCAA runners would have medalled at Worlds, pay homage to the great Mizuki Noguchi, and also explain why indoor track in many ways is better than outdoor track.
Will The Half Marathon WR Go Down In 15 Days?
Leonard Patrick Komon Going For Half Marathon WR At Prague Half On March 31st He is the current road WR holder at 10k and 15k and will be looking to break the 58:23 time set by Zersenay Tadese. Current World leader (59:11) Kenneth Kipkemoi is also in the field.
African XC Champs
- SA Coach: "[The Kenyans] can kill you off quickly, no matter how good you are, if you try to take them on as an individual"
- Kenyan African XC Team Was Cut To Only 16 For All 4 Races Due To Budget Cuts
- A Clean Shaven Mo Farah Responds To Steve Cram "I agree with Steve. You want to keep that invincibility ... "[But] I'm definitely where I need to be. I'm probably a little bit more than what I need to be."
- Pictures Of London 2012 Olympic Athlete Apartments Unveiled Apparently there is a lot of concern that athletes who finish competing early will party and keep up athletes still competing. Former triple-jump gold medallist Jonathan Edwards
talks about how swimmers are particularly notorious for this.
- Dwain Chambers Involved In 'Secret' Team GB Relay Training Sessions? Article says BOA insiders say the organisation is privately pessimistic about their chances of retaining the bylaw."
- Worrisome?: Old World War II Bomb Found At Olympic Training Site
- Londoners Keep Complaining About Olympics As They Claim They Don't Want WiFi Access On The Subway
- Doha Says Their Finances Put Them In Great Position For 2020 Olympic Bid
*Qatar Bid To Encourage Female Arab Athletes
Haile G Back At It In Vienna Half April 15th
Haile Gebrselassie To Race Against Paula Radcliffe In Vienna City Half Marathon "Chase Race" After the Tokyo marathon, Geb tweeted "My Olympic marathon dream is over" but he's not retired yet, as he will lace them up and try to catch Paula Radcliffe as she gets a head start. *MB: Geb
announces next race, he may not be done just yet ...
*Also April 15th: Kenenisa Bekele Up Against Top Spanish Runners At SPAR Great Ireland 10k Run April 15th Up against defending champ Jesus Espana and Euro XC silver medallist Ayad Lamdassem.
(link fixed) Update: Alan Webb's Excellent Advice To Robby Andrews On Turning Pro "If you really love
it, then it's
worth it. But if you don't love the sport,
then you're going to hate it as your job. It is a job. It's not your college team anymore. You're going to be getting a paycheck for this, so you got to love doing it."
Robby Andrews Turns Pro Last week, LRC broke the news that Andrews was leaving the University of Virginia. Now the 800m star has done what most expected - turn pro. He'll be coached by Jason Vigilante and train with American mile record holder Alan Webb. He has not signed an endorsement deal yet but will be represented by Ray Flynn.
On The Boards: Robby Andrews Turns Pro
The Next Andrews? NJ Junior Ben Malone Sets Jr. Indoor Record By Running 1:49.91 Hard to believe that that's #2 all time indoors for HSers (only behind Andrews at 1:49.21).
- Defending 100m Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Says Training Is Going Well She'll race Saturday at University of West Indies Classic
- Ryan Gregson Talks About The Tons Of Media Exposure He Got After Aussie Trials Win "I'm tired. I don't think I've ever done that many much media in a 16 hour period before in my life."
- A Look At The Aussie Women's Olympic Team And Those Still Vying For A Place On The Squad
Milers In The News
- Recommended Read Meet NCAA Mile Champ Chris O'Hare Of Tulsa Running Times has done a nice feature on the Brit who seems like a great guy (and sibling, as he misses his bro and sis back in the UK). His coach says something we love: "Strength is synonymous with speed."
- Ryan Gregson Apologizes To LRC Fans, Wishes His Finish Line Dance Was Better "I just wish I could have put in a better performance. My legs were pretty lactic so I didn't nail it as good as I'd have liked."
Better Late Than Never
Recommended Read: LA Times Runs Nice Feature On Blind LA Marathon Runner "Though he didn't like running, he wanted to prove a disability couldn't stop him or others like him. 'I don't know if you've noticed or if you knew, but in the blind community, there are so many people that are couch potatoes, who are not doing anything with their life. There's so much that they can do.'"
USA Masters Indoor Champs Are This Weekend More than 100 reigning World Indoor and Outdoor Masters champions will be among the more than 800 athletes ages 35-95+ on hand for the USA Masters Indoor Track & Field Championships Friday through Sunday at the Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington, Ind.
Big Japan Marathon News
- Japan's Olympic Marathon Team Is Released And LetsRun Hero Kawauchi Is Snubbed Kawauchi was the 1st finisher at one of the Trials races, admitted he didn't deserve to make it, but the selectors issued a special statement explaining why Kawauchi wasn't named as an alternate even though he was the top finisher at one of the three Trials races.
- But Non-Corporate Runner, Arata Fujiwara Of 2:07:48 Fame, Headlines Team After Training Alone In Park With Donated Shoes
- Japan Running News' Recap Of Last Weekend's Final Selection Race - The Nagoya Marathon 2000 Olympic marathon champ Mizuki Noguchi captivated the nation for a while, as after falling off the pace at 17km, she re-took the lead at 30km but ended up 6th in 2:25.
British Olympic Drug Ban Hearing Is Held
- British Olympic Association Chairman Lord Moynihan Worried Lifetime Ban Might Be Overturned "I'll be disappointed if we didn't win because we fought hard to represent the interests of the athletes. The findings may well dwell on fine points of law rather than the very strong moral arguments that are on the side of the athletes."
- Or Is He? Another Paper Says Moynihan Is "Cautiously Optimistic" On Retaining Anti-Doping Bylaw Following CAS Hearing "We represent the athletes, who have always voted that we take a tough line on those who knowingly cheat. We have had this bylaw in place for 20 years and it has always had the full support of the athletes."
Post-World Indoor News
- GB Coach Charles van Commenee Thrilled With Britain's Record 9 Medals & Mo Farah's 4th-Place Run He says the criticism of the team captain for not knowing the national anthem united the team. As for Farah, van Commenee said: "That's not his main distance, his main distance is 5,000m and 10,000m. So knowing that he is at the same pace, within a few 10ths of a second, is very encouraging." *van Commenee Is Excited
- Meanwhile, The US Won 10 Golds, 18 Medals Overall
- After Helping Team To Indoor Gold, Christine Ohuruogu Admits "I didn't really want to come here. I don't like indoors very much."
- HJ World Champ Returns To Greece & Rips Govt. For Cutting Support For Training Expenses Doesn't in some ways his win prove his argument is invalid? "The conditions there are unacceptable and facilities are a big problem. There is lack of heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer."
- GB Coach Charles van Commenee May Name Cuban-Born Yamilé Aldama As Olympic Captain To call her a "plastic Brit" would be a bit unfair, as she's been in the UK for a long, long time.
- 4th-Place Kenyan Team To Arrive Back In Kenya Tuesday Morning To Hero's Welcome Not sure why they are getting a hero's welcome when Ethiopia beat them in the medal count.
World Indoors *Results *Video Highlights For US Visitors *UK Visitors *Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 3,000m Final Lives Up To The Hype World 5,000m champion Mo Farah squared off with two-time world indoor champion Bernard Lagat and 2012
World leaders Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi of Kenya. Once again, Bernard Lagat was too good. They were all in contention on the final lap. There was some contact, two guys running on the infield, a DQ and a resintatement, but none of that stopped Bernard Lagat from showing he's the best 3,000m runner in the world.
LRC 800s: Pamela Jelimo Is Back As USA's Erica Moore Gets Bronze, 18-Year-Old* Mohamed Aman Gets Gold The last time Pamela Jelimo was any good, Erica Moore wasn't an 800m runner. They both left World Indoors pleased, as Moore made her first sub-2:00 clocking count with a bronze medal. In the men's race, 18-year-old* favorite Mohamed Aman got gold. On the Boards: Erica Moore 800m at Worlds
LRC Hellen Obiri Stuns Four-Time World Champ Defar link fixed Obiri Closes In 4:06.6 For Gold Get used to the name Hellen Obiri. Last year, she ran internationally for the first time and won the Kenyan 1,500m championships. This year, in the fourth 3,000m of her life, she came from behind to stop Meseret Defar from getting her 5th world championship.
IAAF Final Day Recap: Brittney Reese Is Incredible, Aries Meritt Upsets Liu Xiang, Will Claye Wins Brittney Reese had her back to the wall in the long jump, so what did she do? Unleash a jump that made her #3 all-time to win.
- Mo Farah A Bit Frazzled After 3,000m And British Media Starts To Hit the Panic Button Relax. If Mo had run 3,000m Worlds last year instead of Europeans, he would have lost then, too. Bernard Lagat knows what he's talking about and says Mo shouldn't worry. Guardian
- Aries Merritt's Upset Of Liu Xiang Guarantees Record Medal Hall For Americans AP 10 Golds for US.
- Brits Get Women's 4 X 400 Gold And Leave Worlds Very Pleased
- Reuters Recap Of Final Day At Worlds
- Teenager Aman's Rise Continues With Ethiopia's First 800m Gold
- Jelimo's And Obiri's Golds Lead Way On Final Day At Worlds For Kenyans
LRC Saturday: Iguider Wins Thrilling Men's 1,500m, Dibaba Lives Up To The Hype, Ashton Eaton, Sanya Richards Ross, Chaunte Lowe And Justin Gatlin (Uh) Get Gold World Record And $90,000 For Eaton A tremendous day of action and a good one for the USA. We break it down, including the men's 1,500m, where Abdalaati Iguider
ruined the coming out party of Ilham Tanui Özbilen in an exciting race that saw Matt Centrowitz challenge for the lead. Genzebe Dibaba dominated the women's 1,500, showing she's the real deal. Plus Sanya Richards Ross, Chaunte Lowe and Justin Gatlin are all back from various ailments, some self inflicted, some not. Not to mention a super-tight long jump and a gold by a 39-year-old married to a former heroin dealer.
- Sally Pearson Has Largest Margin Of Victory Ever In Hurdles At World Indoors
- 39-Year-Old Yamile Aldama Gets Surprise Gold For Britain
- Daily Mail Criticized Tiffany Porter For Switching Allegiances, Arranged For Zola Budd To Do It Instead of ambushing Porter, shouldn't they criticize British citizenship procedures?
LRC PM Session: Lagat Survives A Scare As Stellar 3k Final Is Set, Genzebe Dibaba Finds Her Event, Plus First 5,000-Point Pentathlon, And Ryan Whiting Joins 22.00m Club
LRC Morning Session - Rupp Bows Out, Meet Ilham Tanui, Centrowitz, Erica Moore, Jackie Areson, Sara Hall Make Finals
- IAAF: Pentathlon World Record! - Natallia Dobrynska Dobrynska Tallies 5,013 Points
- Echoes In The Arena Or Something Are Causing Starting Problems At Worlds
- On The Boards: Something is wrong with the 60m sprints in Istanbul Wejo did some analysis and the athletes are starting much slower than at the 2010 Worlds.
Two-Time Boston Winner Moses Tanui Speaks Out Against Kenya Olympic Trials Being Held In Oregon "Is like staging national holiday celebrations in a foreign land."
The Fast Guys Of The LRC Puma Faas Challenge (Our Apologies For Disrespecting The Always Disrespected David McNeill)
LRC The Fastest Puma Faas Winners - Mark Wieczorek, David McNeill And Ricky Flynn LetsRun.com is made up of the most passionate and fastest runners on the planet. The three guys above entered the Puma Faas Challenge just like you even though they are total studs. Mark is a 1:46.00
runner, David a two-time NCAA 5,000m champion and an Australian national champion, and Ricky was a breakthough performer at the Olympic Trials Marathon. Read all about them. Thanks to Ricky's run at the Trials, he may be getting a sponsor soon, so he's giving his shoes to his roommate.
Previous: Get Inspired With The Final 20+ Winners In The Puma Faas Challenge A guy with incurable cancer who wants to run 16-minute miles, a guy who want to break 4 despite getting hit by a car going 35mph, a woman who has a 5-year running streak going that includes two pregnancies, much more.
Final Japanese Selection Race - 2012 Lake Biwa Marathon *Photos
Kenya's Samuel Ndungu Debuts With 2:07:04 For The Win as Japan's Ryo Yamamoto Has Huge 3+ Minute PR To Grab Olympic Spot Henryk Szost got the Polish NR with 2:07:39 and Ryo Yamamoto was the first Japanese in 2:08:44. The Japanese had 2 sub-2:09s, 5 sub-2:10s, and 7 at sub-2:10:06 in this race.
Dreams Don't Become Reality?
LRC Haile Gebrselassie Tweets "My Olympic Marathon Dream Is Over" And Ethiopia Announces A Preliminary Olympic Marathon Team Missing A Few Stars Geb's tweet is big news as we'd like to see him make one final attempt to compete in the Olympics. Just as big news
may be that neither Gebre Gebremariam, Tsegaye Kebede nor Fiyesa Lilesa
were on the preliminary
team. Their men's team is the top 4 Ethiopians from Dubai.
More Geb: Associated Press Column: Should Gebrselassie Say Goodbye? His agent seems to think so.
- Ethiopian OG Marathon Selection
- HAILE FROM TWITTER - "It looks like my Olympic Marathon dream is over."
Andrews Going Pro?!
LRC Robby Andrews Leaves UVA Track Team LetsRun.com has learned that the two-time NCAA champ's incredible NCAA career at the University of Virginia has come to an
end. What a career
it was - bookended
NCAA titles. It started with an epic .01 win over
Andrew Wheating and ended with an epic 1:44.71 - .04 win over Charles Jock. Andrews has not officially gone pro, but that seems to be the likely next step.
*Humorous: Robby Andrews Career Decision Flowchart
MB: Robby Andrews No Longer Running for UVA *Is There Any Chance Robby Andrews Transfers? *Robby Andrews to Oregon Project?
Tokyo Marathon *Top Tokyo/Geb Results *Updated LRC Tokyo Photos
LRC Geb Goes For It ... Fades To 2:08:17 4th Well-paced, good weather, perfectly positioned, Haile G had the lead and a gap on the field at 36k but surprisingly faded and was passed
one-by-one until he was off the
podium in the final kilometer. It was a strange marathon, as both Geb and last year's defending champ Hailu Mekonnen, who were the two leaders, both faded after surging ahead. Michael Kipyego (2:07:37) brother of women's star Sally Kipyego, took the win while Arata Fujiwara stamped his ticket to London with a 2:07:48 PR. 38 y/o Geb complained of back pain afterwards. Geb is now known for his post-race excuses, but for once we tend to believe him (he also dropped a water bottle
35k and stopped to get it before not picking it up - wonder if that affected his back).
*Tokyo Photo Gallery
USATF Classic *Results *Photo Gallery
LRC Galen Rupp's American 2-Mile Record Is Highlight Among 5 World Leaders Pre-race, we pondered if this was the best men's indoor mile in the US since LetsRun.com was founded and it lived up to the hype, as Silas Kiplagat edged Caleb Ndiku in a world-leading time, but it was Galen Rupp, running to honor the late Geoff Hollister, who stole the show with an impressive American record at 2 miles. In other action, Brenda Martinez took on some of the world's best in the mile, Jamaica's 8th best sprinter beat all the Americans, and Tianna Madison (a long jump world champion most of you have forgotten) shocked VCB and Allyson Felix in the 60m.
USATF XC *XC Results *Men's Photos *Women's Photos
Molly Huddle Celebrates Too Soon, Sara Hall Wins XC On Lean, Bobby Mack Beats Aaron Braun Great races in the chill of St. Louis, as Molly Huddle and Sara Hall battled to the line. Huddle put up her hands thinking she won, but Hall leaned and got the win. Photos here. On the men's side, Mack pulled away from Braun the final 600m. More coverage here. Photo finish photo here.
London Marathon Goes To Iten
Virgin London Marathon, Which Made 2012 Athlete Announcements In Kenya, Is Giving Back To Iten, Eldoret Communities
LRC Photo Of The Day: Virgin London Marathon Fields Announced From Iten, Kenya We didn't realize London was in Iten to announce its 2012 fields. Very cool.
Bring Back The Mile Officially Launches For years, we (and many in the sport) have wondered why the mile isn't the #1 distance event in the land and why it's not run instead of the 1,500 or 1,600. Finally, someone has decided to do something about it.
*Bringing Buzz Back To The Mile *Discuss *Like On Facebook
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
NY Times Recap: Meb Over Hall, Abdi Grabs 3rd Spot The race lived up to the billing as the top four all broke 2:10, whereas previously there had only been one sub-2:10 in OTM history. After a blistering first half (63:25), Meb Keflezighi got his 2nd PR in 69 days, as he ran 2:09:08 to win over Hall (2:09:30). A resurgent Abdirahman (2:09:47) hung on for the final Olympic spot in 2:09:47 over Ritzenhein, who broke 2:10:00 for the first time (2:09:55). In the process, Meb became the first American to make an Olympic marathon team 8 years after making it previously. Abdi had no idea until we talked to him that Martin Fagan, whom he trained with some this winter, had reportedly tested positive for EPO.
LRC Trials Live Thread Here
Trials On The Boards:
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners - Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
Kenyan 10,000m Trials In Oregon!
It's Official: Only The Kenyan Men's 10,000m Olympic Trials Will Be Held At Pre Classic No 5k, no women's 10k. Speaking to objectors, AK chief Isaiah Kiplagat said, “Let us be honest, only athletics and swimming will win this country medals ... So, when we come up with new ways to ensure that we win the men 10000m race for the first time in 44 years, people should not criticise but give us support."
*Prefontaine Press Release Race will feature the top 15 Kenyans and no one else. Top 2 finishers automatically get an Olympic spot, with the third being selected by the federation.
*Ken Goe Article Says that there is a rumor that the Pre Classic was never very interested in the 5k and AK will probably select the women's 10k team without a trial.
*Athletics Kenya Fighting As Usual To Drag Athletes To Pre-Olympic Training Camps They've threatened agents with sanctions if they don't find their athletes within 24 hours.
LRC 2012 Track & Field By The TV Numbers With the indoor track season now over, we thought we'd
take a chance to look back and tell you how the indoor meets did on television (as well as on YouTube for Millrose). The stats reveal that new era hasn't taken over at all, as at least 5 times more people still watch track on television as on the Internet.
NYC Half Is This Sunday *LRC Preview Coming By 12 Noon Friday
- Desiree Davila Says She's Running NYC Half On About A Month Of Training After 2 Weeks Off, 2 Down Post Olympic Trials
*Runner's World Interview With Davila
- Impressive: Peter Kirui Paced Both The #1 And #2 Fastest Marathons Of All-Time He was part of the pace team that led Patrick Makau to his WR in Berlin and Wilson Kipsang to his 2:03:38. In Frankfurt he decided to finish and ran 2:06:31. He's using NYC as a tune-up for Rotterdam which will be the first marathon he will start with the intention of finishing.
- Kim Smith Going For Seventh Straight Victory At NYC Half
- Kara Goucher Says No To Idea Of Olympic Half Marathon "I just think the Olympics is about tradition, and it's about--it's supposed to be really hard to get there. It's supposed to be only a few people that make it .... The 10-K to the marathon, it's a huge difference. That's kind of the point."
- Ed Moran Back In NY For His Half Marathon Debut He ran his full marathon debut in NYC which made him the 7th fastest Olympic Trials qualifier, but unlike Meb, 69 days wasn't enough time for him to recover, and even though he "made an attempt to come back" he decided to opt out and focus on the track trials 5k/10k.
- Good Interviews With Kara Goucher And Dathan Ritzenhein Ritz: "For me, I've completely flip-flopped from 2008. After the trials in 2008, Kara said [to me], 'Man, you must be so happy and so relaxed - you made the team eight months out.' And I was. I gotta tell you, it was such a different feeling."
- Kara Goucher And Shalane Flanagan Visited London To Run Olympic Marathon Course Goucher on the course: "It's a combination of a lot of fast running, tedious turns that break your rhythm, and then flying fast. Doing that three times is going to wear on you."
- Three-Time British Olympian Jo Pavey Withdraws From NYC Half With Flu
- 5 Things You Should Know About Me: Scott Bauhs
More News From Kenya
- Good Read: Edwin Soi On Short List Of Kenyan Runners Who Have Not "Received Their Due Acclaim" He has a 5,000m Olympic bronze from 2008, an Afircan Games gold, and now a bronze from World Indoors. A lot of good quotes from Soi as he talks about pre-race nerves, his collision with Farah, and Kenyan team tactics as he and Augustine Choge took it out fast to thin out the "1,500m runners who could sprint fast in the end."
- A Look At The Kenyan Team As They Get Ready To Defend Their African XC Title This Weekend On paper, Daegu 3rd placer Vincent Chepkok is the top runner.
- Kenya's Paralympic Team Slashed From 65 To 17 Ahead Of Olympic Qualifier Meet In Tunisia Due To Budget Cuts
- Steve Cram "Concerned" With Mo Farah's World Indoors Performance He is very concerned with Mo's confidence, but as we, Van Commenee, and Bernard Lagat have all said Farah should not be worried. He is a 5k/10k runner and Worlds was a 3k.
- Olympic Stadium Covering Plan Abandoned; IOC Says "If it rains, you will get wet."
- Jessica Ennis Says She's No Longer The Favorite To Win Olympic Gold Many would argue that she hasn't been the favorite since she lost World Champs in Daegu.
Injured And Need To Commiserate? Lauren Fleshman Blogs About Frustrating IT Band Injury "If an injury drags on and on, you get progressively less excited when someone uncovers a new 'weakness' that might be the source of your problem. ... After enough time, even if the therapy is world class, you start to feel like nothing works properly and you can’t understand how you ever ran well in the first place. Sweet."
Recommended Read The New York Times Introduces Kirani James To The World James has risen from poverty and a tiny party island to world champion in a very short period of time despite having an awkward left foot plant that "experts" have insisted he change (remind anyone of Michael Johnson?). James, just 19, is still a full-time student at the University of Alabama, as anything less than that and he'll be deported. Crazy. He already is #3 all-time at 400m indoors.
News From Kenya
- Ridiculous: Kenyan Paper Says Tactical Mistakes Cost Their Men Gold In 800, 1,500 And 3k At World Indoors Kenya had zero men make the 800 final and Silas Kiplagat got beaten by 2+ seconds in the 1,500. We're not sure how tactics would have resulted in gold in either race.
- Pamela Jelimo & Hellen Obiri Get Hero's Welcome At Kenyan Airport Jelimo was met by her mom and said she'll take a few weeks off.
- Jelimo Says She Still Has Work to Do: "As you can see I did not follow my normal procedure of front running all throughout in Turkey, this shows I am on course to building that trend."
- Decision On Holding Kenyan Olympic Trials In Eugene Has Been Made - Will Be Announced On Thursday
- TJ World Champ Yamile Aldama Says "I'm not a plastic Brit." Her case is a LOT different than that of others accused of being Plastic Brits. "There are different cases. My case, I don't think, is a case." *Aldama Cleared To Compete In Olympics For Team GB By IOC
- Brits Seem Horrified To Learn That 41% Of Olympic Stadium Workers Were Obese Many were skipping breakfast and so obsessed with food that accidents peaked right before lunch, until porridge breakfasts were offered for £1.
- Michelle Obama To Head US Olympic Delegation To London
Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Tells Fans - Don't Be So Critical "We're not going to run good everyday. We're going to have a down day. But it's not that day for you to be telling us, 'Oh, you're worthless, you're not supposed to be doing that' ... instead of saying, 'Good luck next time. All the best when it comes again.'"
LetsRun.com - Making Running Entertaining On A Daily Basis
- After Improving Hip Flexibility, Arata Fujiwara Thrusts His Way Onto Japanese Olympic Team The woman who gave Fujiwara a one-on-one workout last month reveals the key to his 2:07: "When I first saw Fujiwara, I noticed his pelvis wasn't very stable. I tried to make sure his pelvic area was more relaxed - removing wasted energy to release that explosive power." If you think that article is over the top, then read this one, which is where the "thrusts his way" headline came from.
- Bball Coach Makes Girl Run Laps; Father Beats Coach Unconscious - Only Stopped When Robert Johnson Steps In Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
- Two-Time NYC Marathon Champ German Silva Shows Up Late To Race Against Tarahumara People (Featured In "Born To Run"), Still Finishes Third *Facebook Recap
- Kenyan Commissioner Of Sport Rips Plan To Hold Kenyan Trials In Eugene "You do not hold national trials in another country because you have an all expenses paid trip by Nike."
More News From Kenya
- Athletics Kenya Head Is Justifiably Thrilled By Performances Of Golden Women Pamela Jelimo And Hellen Obiri AK now has two real London medal threats that were totally unexpected.
- Kenyan Team Getting Ready For This Weekend's African XC We loved this quote from last year's world junior XC champ Faith Chepngetich: "There is no difference between the World Cross-Country Championships and the Africa Cross-Country Championships, because competition is always between Kenyan and rivals Ethiopia and with the confirmation of Ethiopia runners to grace the championships, it will be as competitive as a World Cross because it will have the best."
Post-NCAA Indoor News
- Curtis Beach: "It's really nice to win, but I'm really proud of the fact that I gave 100 percent effort in every single event."
- OK State's Dave Smith Pleased With Cowboys' Showings At NCAAs
The New York Times Went Crazy And Produced A Lot Of Good Track Coverage Last Week
- He Grew Up A Football Fan But Once He Started To Run, Something Clicked Inside Of Jeff Demps & Now He's Giving Up On NFL Draft To Pursue Olympic Dream The article says Demps, the NCAA 60m champ, would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. "Growing up, I was always a football player, so I never dreamed of running in the Olympics. But in high school when I started to run, something just turned on in me."
- NY Times Looks At "Plastic Brit" Scandal Involving Tiffany Porter We don't think knowing the national anthem is too much of a requirement. The athletes apparently disagree, as 1,500-meter runner Lewis Moses said: "Half the team don't know the first two lines of the national anthem."
- Justin Gatlin Pumped His 6.46 Winning Time Was The Same As His Pre-Drug Bust Winning Time "As a rookie, I came out and ran 6.46, and I came back as a 30-year-old man and ran 6.46."
- IOC President Jacques Rogge Is Optimistic That Saudi Arabia Will Send Female Athletes To The Olympics For The First Time At This Summer's London Games
- A Brief Chat With Iowa Grad And Burundi Olympic Marathoner Diane Nukuri Johnson The 2:33 marathoner is running the NYC Half next weekend.
Forget About NCAAs; Spice Up Your Monday
- I was prowling around on some other running sites, and it's pretty clear that much of the running community hates LRC.
- Bored?? Check out my Band!
- Recommended Read: Excellent Profile On Katie Flood From Des Moines Register According to her mom, Flood ran a 6-something-minute mile with no training as an 8-year-old.
- More Practical Advice: I hate spring...allergies advice?
- Guidelines For Building A Base
2012 NCAAs *Results
LRC 3,000s: Chris Derrick Pushes Lawi Lalang To The Line, Emily Infeld Wins Her First Title (link fixed) Friday night, Chris Derrick won
coming within 1.7 seconds of beating Lawi Lalang. Derrick did even better on Saturday night, coming within .17 seconds. In the end, Derrick's efforts weren't enough, as Lalang completed the double. In the women's 3,000m, Emily Infeld won a four-person sprint around the final bend over (among others) Jordan Hasay. Hasay's Ducks were so good they would have won the team title if she had stayed in Oregon.
LRC Mile, 800 And Team Recaps: Chris O'Hare Goes Wire-To-Wire, Jordan Hasay Tries To, Mason McHenry Surprises In 800, Nachelle Mackie Gets Another BYU 800 Win, Oregon, Florida Three-Peat After beind edged out last year, Chris O'Hare went gun-to-tape to win the mile, while Jordan Hasay tried to do the same but just came up short. In the 800s ASU's Mason McHenry showed what running your best when it matters can do for you, and Nachelle Mackie made it two years in a row for BYU wire-to-wire victories. In the team competition, Florida three-peated thanks to Jeff Demps (60m three-peat), Tony McQuay (45.77 400) and Omar Craddock (triple jump win). Oregon three-peated on the women's side and was led by Jordan Hasay's 11 points, plus English Gardner winning the 60 and Brianne Theisen the pentathlon.
Curtis Beach Sets Six PRs And Runs 2:23 1,000m To Get NCAA Heptathlon Title Beach ran 1:50 for 800 in high school and could be a mid-d runner if he wanted to. 2:23 is incredible for a multi guy. Discuss here.
More From Saturday:
- Ken Goe Of The Oregonian Recaps Oregon's Three-Peat
- AP Recap Of Final Day Of NCAAs
- Alex Hutchinson Says Altitude Of Boise Could Affect Elite Athletes But Not Regular Joes
On The Boards:
- Brits go 1 & 2 in NCAA men's mile
- Galen Rupp 6 titles=no heart. Derrick zero titles=all guts
- Lawi Lalang appreciation thread!!!
- Why wasn't A&M dq'd in the 4x4 ?
- Beach Wins Hep with 6138 points and 2:23.63 1000!
- Emily Infeld 3000m National Champion
LRC 5,000s: Chris Derrick Puts Up A Brave Fight In 5,000m As Lawi Lalang Wins The Title, Betsy Saina Holds Off Deborah Maier Chris Derrick may not have won the men's 5,000m on Friday night but he earned a lot
of people's respect with the way he challenged the fastest-ever 5,000m runner in the NCAAs, Lawi Lalang. In the end, Lalang had too much the final 200. On the women's side, Betsy Saina got her first NCAA title despite a tough challenge from Deborah Maier.
OTB: Chris Derrick... WHAT A RUN!!!!!! *CMON DERICK, DO IT FOR AMERICA!!! *Debbie Maier is Rockin it!
LRC DMRs: Notre Dame Surprises And Katie Flood Lives Up To The Hype To Get Washington The Title Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae holds off IU's Andy Bayer and BYU's Miles Batty to get the win. Katie Flood runs fastest women's mile of the day to get Washington the win over Oregon, Dartmouth, and Georgetown.
LRC Mile And 800m Prelim Recaps All the big favorites through, but a couple of surprises.
OTB: Fall In Heat 2 Of Men's Mile *Cas Loxsom is a CHOKE ARTIST
- DMR Performance By Oregon Pleases Lananna And Keeps Them On Track For 3rd Straight Title Eugene Register Guard
- Great Read: Excellent Profile On Katie Flood From Des Moines Register According to her mom, Flood ran a 6-something-minute mile with no training as an 8-year-old.
IAAF Releases Members Of Inaugural Hall Of Fame *Website
- Tough Standards For Inaugural IAAF Hall Of Fame Athletes need to have won at least two Olympic or World Championships gold medals and set at least one WR. Ridiculous.
- Amby Burfoot: "Love the New IAAF Hall of Fame Idea. Hate the Entry Requirements" He points out that the standards keep out great runners like Joan Benoit Samuelson, Frank Shorter, Roger Bannister, and even Paula Radcliffe unless she wins gold in London.
- Joe Battaglia: "Wang Junxia's nomination to IAAF Hall of Fame a cruel joke" "There is never a second chance to make a first impression. It's a shame that this inaugural IAAF Hall of Fame induction will be punctuated with a question mark."
NYC Half Is This Weekend *Full Elite Field
- Janet Cherobon-Bawcom: How Hitchhiking A Ride From Peter Rono Led To A Pro Running Career
- Brief Chat: Julie Culley, Who Will Run Her Debut Half Marathon At NYC Half She's ran on multiple World Championships teams and has a 15:21 5k PR.
- Bobby Curtis, Ben St. Lawrence, Collis Birmingham, And UK's Chris Thompson Added To NYC Half
- Good Interview With Dathan Ritzenhein Ahead Of NYC Half On the marathon trials he said, "Even with 200 meters to go, I really was still thinking that (I could get him) ...The distance was shrinking so fast that I didn't really ever give up hope until after the finish line."
News From Jamaica
- Prince Harry False Starts In Run With Bolt, Does Bolt Pose, Tells Jamaican Athletes Not To Come To America
- Yohan Blake To Race Sparingly Leading Up To Olympics
- After Great Winter Training, Yohan Blake Is Dreaming Of Upstaging Usain Bolt And Winning 4 Golds Himself Both Jamaicans are dreaming of 4 golds, but Blake has been hot in training, whereas Bolt is MIA. Blake: "My 4 x 400m training is going really well. I've been really encouraged by my performances."
Aussie Olympic Trials/Melbourne Track Classic Was Friday/Saturday *Results *Gregson's Finish Line Dance
Day 2: Mottram Is Back, Wins 5k; Rudisha Cruises In 800 (Symmonds Struggles), Pearson Impresses Craig Mottram ran away from Collis Birmingham to win the 5,000m in 13:18, David Rudisha crushed the 800m field to win in 1:44 (Nick Symmonds ran 1:48), and world hurdles champ Sally Pearson got a PR in the 200m and her fourth-best
time in the 100m hurdles. Ben True (13:26) and Will Leer ran in the 5km. More From IAAF
*Australian High Performance Manager Is Full Of praise For Mottram "What he did in the race against Collis was tantamount to Mottram re-establishing himself in our psyche that he is the No.1 man over 5,000m. And once he has that confidence behind him, we then know with the right training and the right progress he's one of the rare distance athletes that can shake it up with the Africans."
*2-Time world champion at 400h, Jana Pittman, will start running on Monday but is quickly running out of time to qualify for London 2012
*17-Year-Old Aussie Liz Parnov Likely To Be On Olympic Team
*Sally Pearson After Winning 100m Hurdles In 12.49 Seconds: "Holy crap! I know I can't swear, what can I say? It's really fantastic." *AP Article
*Runner's Tribe Recap
On The Boards: *Symmonds ran 1:48 in Melbourne, Sure, it's March Nick, not August!
*Mottram wins 5000m
Day 1: Ryan Gregson Wins And Does A Dance As Kiprop Falters For 3rd Year In A Row - Torrence 2nd, Willis Third On a windy day, Asbel Kiprop had the lead in the middle but faded to 5th (3:42.52) as Aussie record holder Ryan Gregson got the win (3:38.51) to prove he's at least temporarily over last year's injury problems. He was followed by Torrence (3:39.32), Willis (3:39.77), Riseley and Kiprop. Kiprop: "I don't know exactly what happened. It was not my day today ... I did 10 seconds slower than what I was expecting. It doesn't disappoint me at all."
*AP: Pearson Wins, Frayne Gets TJ Qualifier
IAAF Recap Afterwards, Gregson did a dance at the finish (video embedded to your right or here). Was it because of this tweet?
OTB: Gregson is back!!! (def. Kiprop, etc)
*Gregson's Finishline Dance
A Current & Future Marathoner In The News
Meet The Triathlon Coach Who Taught Ryan Hall He Needed To Recover More No, the name of "Mr. Recovery" isn't God - it's Matt Dixon. Dixon seems to be a smart guy who had one triathlete cut his "volume by 30
easier workouts and had
him eat more." We'd say that would help 90% of all distance runners if only instead of cutting their volume by 30%, they increased it by 30%.
"Our goal is not to train as hard as we can, but to perform well."
Salazar Says "Mea Culpa" And Takes Blame For Aggressive Race Plan That Blew Up And Cost Galen Rupp 3k Spot In Albuquerque They knew sitting and kicking would result in a Lagat slaughter, so they tried to take it out hard but they underestimated Lopez Lomong. "(Lomong's) always been a great runner," Salazar said. "We totally respect him. But he hadn't run a distance race in a while. We underestimated what he could do. It was a mistake."
USATF Indoors *Results *LRC Day 1 Photo Gallery *LRC Day 2 Photo Gallery *Race Videos
Sunday: LRC Manzano Outkicks Centrowitz And Rupp To Win 1,500, Simpson Holds Off Martinez (Updated) Two weeks ago, Manzano ran 3:57 in his opener but was last place
in a super-stacked mile in Arkansas. In the women's 1,500m, Jenny Simpson edged Brenda Martinez, showing Martinez is the real deal (Martinez had by FAR the best finish as she got boxed and was 6-7 meters back with 100m to go and barely lost), and Sanya Richards-Ross ran a 50.71 meet record. Chaunte Lowe set an American record in the women's high jump, showing she is more than back from maternity leave. Distance recaps, results, and videos with winners.
*Ashton Eaton Wins LJ With A New PR
On The Boards: Manzano outkicks Centrowitz and Rupp!
Really, what happened Rupp in the last two laps tonight?
LRC USATF Indoor Men's 3k: Lagat, Lomong Crush Rupp (Updated w/ video interviews) Galen Rupp pushed the pace early, hoping his 12th attempt at beating powerhouse Lagat would be the charm, but was badly dropped before the bell, unable to challenge Lagat, who then crushed Lopez Lomong with a 25-second last lap. On to Worlds for Lagat, where he may be the favorite to defend his title. Like Lagat, Jenny Simpson ran away with the women's 3,000m title. Find out why she won't be running in Istanbul.
*IAAF Recap Day 1 Will Claye jumped 17.63m in the TJ for the furthest mark by an American in 23 years.
*Jennifer Suhr Overcomes Aching Achilles To Win PV At US Champs She only had to clear two heights and then made 3 attempts to break her own AR, but missed.
*Results *LRC Official USA Indoor TNF Champs ABQ Thread
*Lagat: "I just wanted to show these guys that Daddy can still kick." RRW Recap
Stockholm - *Results *Video Of PV WR *More Yahoo Photos Of Record
World Record For Yelena Isinbayeva (Updated) In case you wondered, Yelena Isinbayeva is fully back as she went 5.01 for the world record. Asked whether anyone could beat her this year, she said, "I think you can answer that question yourself," in reference to her 29cm winning margin. Isiah Koech won the 3k over Dejen Gebremeskel, Caleb Ndiku
man from earlier this year Augustine Choge. Morgan Uceny ran 4:08 to get a close 3rd in the 1,500m as Anna Pierce struggled again.
*Dayron Robles Wins Stockholm 60m Hurdles As Liu Xiang Is DQed For A False Start
*"Yelena Isinbayeva Is At Her Best When Challenged"
A Definite Recommended Read & Discuss
Sports Illustrated & Tim Layden Profile Mo Farah & Galen Rupp: A Bond Born At Speed The two training partners clearly will have vastly different amounts of pressure on them at the London Games and it's clear that Rupp is happy to not be in the spotlight: "I don't envy Mo. He's going to have a bunch of people cheering for him, but all that stress. It's nice sometimes to just train and not have all that external stuff."
MB: Rupp 10.9 and Farah 11.3 for the 100m *Do you believe the rest of the SI article about Rupp & Farah? 8 x 1200 at 4,551 Ft Altitude in 3:09/2min rest? *Alberto Salazar's coaching pre-Galen Rupp *Does Rupp have any realistic chance of beating Lagat this weekend?
Sydney Track Classic *Results
Kiprop 1:45.9, Rudisha 45.61, David Torrence 3:35.6 Wins The Australian season got underway in full force with the two best mid-distance runners, Olympic and World 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop and World 800m champ David Rudisha, both dropping down in distance. Rudisha ran 45.61 at 400, while Kiprop got the 800m win in 1:45.9. Kiprop dropping down let American David Torrence win the 1,500 in 3:35.6. World hurdles champ Sally Pearson did the hurdles/200m double. Nick Symmonds did not have his kick and was a well-beaten 6th in 1:47.44, which is a pretty good opener.
LRC Hello World, Meet Ayele Abshero (2:04:23 Debut!) The 21-year-old former Jr. World XC champ's marathon debut was super-special, as his surge with just over 3km remaining decimated
marathon field in history, as four
men broke 2:05 in the race, eight broke 2:06, 10 broke 2:07, and 17 broke 2:10 - all records as fastest-ever times for places were recorded in spots three through
17. 2011 belonged to the Kenyan men, will 2012 belong to Ethiopia? The women's race was super-fast and super-deep as well, as 3 women broke 2:20 in the same race for the 1st time, as Aselefech Mergia ran 2:19:31 to win and a record 9 women broken 2:25. Martin Lel was a DNF, Ramaala 2:12. *AP
*Butcher: Ethiopians Strike Back
*MB: 4 guys I've never heard of go sub 2:05 in Dubai
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
Where Is Chris Solinsky?
Chris Solinsky Gives Update On Come-Back From Injury Video where he talks about how he had to have surgery after he tripped over his dog, giving his Worlds spot, his 9 minute mile first run back, and his plans for outdoor.
*MB: What has been up with Chris Solinsky?
Highlights And Last 800m Of Men's 3,000m At Worlds (Larger Video Here - We Previously Had It Set Up So You Could Watch Without Knowing The Results)
Non-Worlds/NCAA Action - US 15k Champs: Gate River Run *Results
Mo Trafeh Three-Peats, Janet Cherbon-Bawcom Wins Title And Equalizer Bonus Molly Huddle was 2nd on the women's side and Christo Landry was second on the men's. More coverage here. *RW Post-Race Brief Chat
With Trafeh Here
Crazy: Two Weeks After Tokyo Marathon, Yuki Kawauchi Runs 1:04:26 Half Marathon On Hilly Course
Nagoya: Russian Albina Mayorova Wins Nagoya Marathon, The Final Qualifying Race For Olympics
Kenya: Asbel Kiprop Runs 1:18.0 600m
- DII Men: Grand Canyon Beats Adams
- DII Women: Grand Valley State Wins 2nd Straight
- DIII Women: Wartburg Wins, Christy Cazzola Double Wins In Mile/800
- DIII Men: NCC Wins 3rd Straight
High School New Balance Nationals *Results
- After DMR, SMR And 2-Mile Victories, Edward Cheserek Got Beaten In Mile At HS Nationals
- Final Day Recap More from MileSplit here.
- DyeStat: 4 X Mile Record By Chariho HS Highlights Day 2 At New Balance Nationals
- Erin Finn Runs 16:19 National Record In 5k
- Nuts: Edward Cheserek Goes Out In 54.6 (25.6, 29.0) And Leads His DMR Team To Victory
Men's 1,500m Final From World Indoors (Women's Here)
Prince Harry Over Usain Bolt
Day 2 USATF Indoor Photos (Tokyo Marathon Photos Here)
Day 1 USATF Indoor Photos
Spend 10 Minutes To Get To Know The World's Best(?) Marathoner Patrick Makau (Also Has Footage Of Him Training In Kenya)
LetsRun.com Track Talk Live From Kenya: Friday's Live Show Is Now Available On Demand In The Player Below (Or Download It Here)
Rupp's 2-Mile American Record From Arkansas (Last 2:20 Or The Full Race)
Final 400 (Or Full Race) Of Lagat's American Record (Wanamaker Mile Video Here)
Photo Gallery: Rupp Makes History (Interview Below Or Here)
USA XC Photo Galleries *Women Here *Men Here
Trailer For "ITEN - The Town Of RED Dust"
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
Universal Sports Back To Top