Tokyo Marathon *Top Tokyo/Geb Results *Tokyo Photos
LRC Geb Goes For It ... Fades To 2:08:17 4th Well-paced, good weather, perfectly positioned, Haile G had the lead and a gap on the field at 36k but faded and was passed
one-by-one until he was off the
podium in the final kilometer. Michael Kipyego (2:07:37) brother of women's star Sally Kipyego, took the win while Arata Fujiwara stamped his ticket to London with a 2:07:48 PR. 38 y/o Geb complains of back pain, gives no indication of being done.
*LRC OFFICIAL Tokyo Marathon Haile Geb Thread
*Brett Larner's JRN Race Recap
*Haile Says "I could run another marathon in two weeks."
*LRC Favorite Yuki Kawauchi Disappointed With 14th Place/2:12:51 Showing Kawauchi: "If you're not good enough to be internationally competitive then you don't need to go to the Olympics. I tried, and it's over. Selection is based on results, and I do not think I will be picked."
*Tokyo Photo Gallery
More Weekend Action
Almost As Good As World XC: Quick Results: Vivian Cheruiyot, Sammy Kitwara Win Linet Masai was 3rd, Shalane Flanagan was 6th.
Roma-Osita Half Marathon: Florence Kiplagat Takes Minute Off Her PR To Run 1:06:38 - 3rd On The World All-Time List Kiplagat is now ranked 3rd in the world all-time list behind Mary Keitany (1:05:50) and Lornah Kiplagat (1:06:25). Philemon Kimeli Limo won the men's race as he led two others sub-60 minutes with 59:30.
Almond Blossom XC: Kiprono Menjo Wins 4th Title In 5 Years Former Euro XC champ Sergey Lebed was 8th. Gorreti Jepkoech won the women's race and Dulce Félix was 3rd overall, but first for Portugal to win their national XC title.
Jamaica's Gibson Relays: Yohan Blake Anchors His 4 X 100 And 4 X 400 Team For The Win He split 45.3 for the 400.
Russian Indoor Champs: Olga Golovkina Runs World Leading 5k In 15:39
Recap Of Polish Indoor Champs Adam Kszczot didn't run, but named to World Indoor team for his 1:44.57.
EA Recaps Euro Weekend Natioinal Meets David Storl gets Euro SP lead/German title with 21.40m.
Fukuoka Intl. XC: Osako And Sato Separated By Less Than 1 Second In Men's Race - Top Results
Weekend Race Previews
- World's Best 10k Preview: Superb Women's Race: Linet Masai Vs. Vivian Cheruiyot Vs. Shalane Flanagan There is no World Cross-Country this year, but the top 3 from last year are all racing at what is arguably the premier 10k on American soil. Photos from Flanagan's bronze here.
- Barcelona Half: Double World Marathon Champ Abel Kirui is racing Peter Kamais Sunday night. Nice Spanish profile on Kirui, translated into English here, original Spanish version here. Kirui reflects with pride that his great-grandfather ran and caught an antelope once.
- S. Africa: Former World Champ Mbulaeni Mulaudzi Racing Saturday In First Race Since Withdrawing From Worlds
- Rome: 2:19:44 Marathoner Florence Kiplagat To Face A Challenge From Agnes Kiprop At Rome Half Marathon
- Menjo Mania: Almond Blossom XC Race Preview In Portugal: The Legendary Menjo Is the Only Foreign Male Athlete Of Note
2012 Tokyo Marathon Previews
LRC Has Father Time Caught Up With Gebrselassie? (link fixed) Saturday is a distance fan's delight. Make a date with your computer if you can. At 7:10 pm Eastern, Gebrselassie
will try to make his Olympics and then at 10:05 Eastern, Galen Rupp tries to end his 0-for-11 streak vs. Bernard Lagat. Tokyo is likely Haile Gebrselassie's final chance to make the Ethiopian Olympic team. Geb has dropped out of his last two marathons. Can he regain the magic here? He faces a few 2:05 and 2:06 guys and the Japanese men led by amateur Yuki Kawauchi. Originally Geb was going to go for
a "controlled 2:05." Now the IAAF reports the rabbit will run 2:06:33, pace but Reuters says he wants the World Record and AP says he wants sub-2:04. *IAAF Preview
*Japanese Perspective: Brett Larner's Final Tokyo Marathon Preview
Want To Know More About The Athletes' Battle With USATF On Uniform Restrictions? We Figured It Out.
LRC USATF And Athletes At Impasse Over Uniform Regulations: USATF Says Blame Nike Contract The problem we see is USATF is blaming its inability to allow more logos on
its sponsorship contract with Nike when the Nike contract says nothing about
sponsors' logos. Fired former USATF CEO Doug Logan, who negotiated the
Nike contract, says he'd even testify on the athletes' behalf.
Previous: Athletes have an excellent memo here on their position that includes details on the USATF contract and USATF states its position here.
More Upcoming Action
- Great Quotes From Kiprop: Asbel Kiprop & David Rudisha Highlight Fields At March 3rd Melbourne Track Classic Kiprop: "When I came onto the athletics scene in 2007 I was childish in athletics, I had no skills at all, no experience. I was just happy to run on the track with those guys like (D.K.) Komen."
- Good Read: David Rudisha: In 2010 He Trained To Run Fast; In 2011 He Trained To Win Championships; In 2012 He Wants Both
- Olympic Champ Tirunesh Dibaba Returns To Defend Her Title At Carlsbad 5k On April 1st
- Jamaica's Michael Frater Headlines Australia's 131-Year-Old Stawell Gift Race 120m handicapped race on a grass track with $43,000 to the winner.
Aussie World Indoor Team Plus Some Other Interesting Stories
- Craig Mottram On Aussie World Indoor Team In The 3k; Penn State Alum Ryan Foster In The 1,500 World 100m hurdles champ Sally Pearson is in the 60m and 60m hurdles.
- Cautionary Tale: Former 100m World Youth Champ Is Back On GB Team After 3 Years Out With Injury Sustained In Trampoline Accident
- Decathlon WR Holder Roman Sebrle To Compete In Record-Equalling 8th World Indoor Champs
More Kenyan News
.*Kenya Names 2012 World Championships Team - Calls It The Strongest Ever Pamela Jelimo is on it for the women but teen sensation Caleb Ndiku and 5,000 WL Thomas Longosiwa are left off in favor of sub-7:30 3,000 performers Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi. Silas Kiplagat in the 1,500, Boaz Lalang in the 800.
*It's Unclear Whether The Kenyan Olympic Trials For The 5k & 10k Will Be In Eugene Pre meet director Tom Jordan sounds more optimistic about getting the 10k and not the 5k, almost certainly not all four.
The NYC Half Is March 18th: Liliya Shobukhova Running Only NYC Half And Bank Of America Shamrock Shuffle 8k In Chicago Before Olympics In NY, she will face Desi Davila and Kara Goucher.
*Ritz Explains His Decision To Race The NYC Half
Nike Technology Unveiled
- With Carl Lewis' Help, Nike Unveils New Technology Designed To Shine At London 2012 From basketball shoes with flywire, to a track suit that is supposedly faster than skin and will help a sprinter by .026, to new Victory mid-d spikes that loosen and tighten with the motion of the foot, Nike had an Apple-like event in Manhattan. "Today we unveiled technology we believe has the potential to change sports performance," Mark Parker, Nike's chief executive.
- Nike Goes Digital With Nike FuelBand, Device That Measures All Types Of Body Movement
- Nike Press Release Abdi Abdirahman was on hand as Nike released a new marathon shoe that is 19% lighter than the Zoom Streak.
News From Japan
It's Official - Only Rich People Do Triathlons
90% 55% Of All Triathletes Make More Than $100,000 Per Year This is good news for Lukas V fans as it's official - the African athletes have little chance. It's also worth noting that triathletes spend over $2,000 per year on the sport but less than 5% of that on running shoes.
- Tom Jordan On Kenyan Olympic Trials In Eugene: "Nothing has been confirmed yet." "But the (Kenyan) men's and women's 10K are promising."
- Galen Rupp, Jesse Williams, Matthew Centrowitz Expected To Be At The USA Indoor Championships
Saturday's Birmingham - Aviva Indoor Grand Prix *Results
Top Indoor Meet Of Year
Eliud Kipchoge 8:07.4 2-Mile Defeats Mo Farah This was a tremendous race with 4 guys, Kipchoge and Farah plus Uganda's Moses Kipsiro and Tariku Bekele, battling on the final lap. Kipchoge, the 2003 World 5,000m champ, got the win and World Leader. If you think this makes him the best Kenyan right now, think again. Kipchoge was 4th in the 3,000m in Germany last weekend. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blasted another fast 1,500 (4:01, Anna Pierce 4:11), Liu Xiang ran a PR to beat Dayron Robles, Jamaica's 8th-fastest 100m man last year, Lerone Clarke, ran a national record in the 60 ahead of Asafa Powell, Meseret Defar ran 8:31.56, Jessica Ennis had 2 PRs and a world best in the hurdles, and Bernard Lagat was well beaten at 1,500m. 8,000 fans in attendance. This is what track and field needs.
- Mo Farah Unable To Explain Loss In Birmingham Telegraph
- "Plastic Brit" Shara Proctor Breaks UK Indoor LJ Record And Ignores Criticism She's from Anguilla, which is not recognised by the IOC, so she would not be able to go to the Olympics if she competed for them.
- Jessica Ennis Smashes Two Personal Bests, Gets World Leader In Hurdles Guardian
- NY Times On Liu Xiang Beating Dayron Robles
- Brilliant Day For Jessica Ennis
- Athletics Weekly Recap
- Video Of Sick 3,000m In Germany Last Week Where Kipchoge Was 4th
- Interesting: Emiel
Puttemans Reflects On His 38-Year-Old European 2-Mile Record, Talks About How He Could Have Broken 10,000m Record In 1972 Olympic Heats Puttemans says he could have broken the world 10,000m record in the heats of the 1972 Olympics. *Discuss Here
Birmingham On The Boards: why was uceny dq'd??
- Kipchoge over Farah
2012 RAK Half Is In The Books *Photo Gallery Of Winners *Top Results
LRC Mary Keitany & 17-Year-Old Dennis Koech Win 2012 RAK Half Marathon Windy conditions slowed down the winning times considerably (60:34 and 66:42), but Mary Keitany did still produce the 8th-fastest 13.1 in women's history as a 17-year-old Kenyan dispatched the 2012 world leader and a 2:03 marathoner in the men's race.
*IAAF Recap Geoffrey Mutai Withdraws With Sore Foot And Then Fast Times Are Blown Off Course The IAAF is saying that Koech is 18.
*Pre-Race Photos *Race Previews
Out Of Work? The IAAF Is Hiring And Looking For A "Whereabouts" Asst. It looks like a perk of this job won't be that you get to look at Track & Field stars' private parts - it's more of clerical help. *Job Offer
Week That Was
LRC Rupp's Record Vs. Lagat's Record, Down Goes Rono, Miles Batty, Chris Derrick And Ryan Hill?, Plus Katie Flood, Marathoning, White Dudes In The 4 X 400, Some Canadian Coaching Advice And More Just in time for Valentine's Day, the track and field world came afire with some sizzling action and records galore. We got the meat (what you expect) and the potatoes (what you wouldn't expect) of the track and field world covered. We guarantee you won't be disappointed. If you are, complain here.
Interesting Read: Patrick Makau Speaks On Being Self Coached, His Half Marathon Loss In Spain, And His Two Newborn Twin Sons He gives great training advice, as he talks about listening to his body and says that he could have won in Spain, but he decided to save himself for other things ahead. Good read from Mutwiri Mutuota.
*10-Minute Video Interview With Makau From Same Story
Recommended Read: The Telegraph's Ian Chadband Catches
Up With Yohan Blake After His 2012 Season Opener - Blake Still Plays Cricket Every Sunday With Glen Mills' Blessing Can anyone in America imagine a college coach letting a sprint star play pickup games on the weekend? Yet Blake, who comes from a tough background, is super-fast. "I wasn't born with a golden spoon in my mouth; it was a really tough life. So many times, we had no money to even get to school. I'd have to find empty beer bottles to sell and spent hours carrying water on my head because we
had no water at home. It gave me strength which helps me today."
Boltgate Day II
*Despite Denials, Sportsmail Says Bolt Visited Doctor In Germany
*Meet The German Doctor Bolt Went To See Instead of Running 400m Last Week - The Doctor They Call "Healing Hans" In December, ESPN did a long profile of Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt - the doctor to the stars - including 5 of the 8 Berlin 100m finalists, plus people like Bono. He swears by Actovegin injections - calf's blood.
Previous: Bolt Doesn't Run 400m Because He Has "Business Trip"
*Coach Says He's Stunned That People Think Bolt Is Hurt But Yohan Blake Admits He Went To Get A "General Checkup"
USATF Classic *Results *Photo Gallery
LRC Galen Rupp's American 2-Mile Record Is Highlight Among 5 World Leaders Pre-race, we pondered if this was the best men's indoor mile in the US since LetsRun.com was founded and it lived up to the hype, as Silas Kiplagat edged Caleb Ndiku in a world-leading time, but it was Galen Rupp, running to honor the late Geoff Hollister, who stole the show with an impressive American record at 2 miles. In other action, Brenda Martinez took on some of the world's best in the mile, Jamaica's 8th best sprinter beat all the Americans, and Tianna Madison (a long jump world champion most of you have forgotten) shocked VCB and Allyson Felix in the 60m.
USATF XC *XC Results *Men's Photos *Women's Photos
Molly Huddle Celebrates Too Soon, Sara Hall Wins XC On Lean, Bobby Mack Beats Aaron Braun Great races in the chill of St. Louis, as Molly Huddle and Sara Hall battled to the line. Huddle put up her hands thinking she won, but Hall leaned and got the win. Photos here. On the men's side, Mack pulled away from Braun the final 600m. More coverage here. Photo finish photo here.
London Marathon Goes To Iten
Virgin London Marathon, Which Made 2012 Athlete Announcements In Kenya, Is Giving Back To Iten, Eldoret Communities
LRC Photo Of The Day: Virgin London Marathon Fields Announced From Iten, Kenya We didn't realize London was in Iten to announce its 2012 fields. Very cool.
Bring Back The Mile Officially Launches For years, we (and many in the sport) have wondered why the mile isn't the #1 distance event in the land and why it's not run instead of the 1,500 or 1,600. Finally, someone has decided to do something about it.
*Bringing Buzz Back To The Mile *Discuss *Like On Facebook
Recommended Read: NY Times Article On Australia's LJer Mitchell Watt, Who Quit Track For 5 Years But Came Back And Got 2nd At The World Champs Apparently he was convinced to keep competing by a "12 page email" from his coach.
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
NY Times Recap: Meb Over Hall, Abdi Grabs 3rd Spot The race lived up to the billing as the top four all broke 2:10, whereas previously there had only been one sub-2:10 in OTM history. After a blistering first half (63:25), Meb Keflezighi got his 2nd PR in 69 days, as he ran 2:09:08 to win over Hall (2:09:30). A resurgent Abdirahman (2:09:47) hung on for the final Olympic spot in 2:09:47 over Ritzenhein, who broke 2:10:00 for the first time (2:09:55). In the process, Meb became the first American to make an Olympic marathon team 8 years after making it previously. Abdi had no idea until we talked to him that Martin Fagan, whom he trained with some this winter, had reportedly tested positive for EPO.
LRC Trials Live Thread Here
Trials On The Boards:
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners - Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
USATF Indoors *Meet Website *Results *LRC Day 1 Photo Gallery
Sunday: LRC Manzano Outkicks Centrowitz And Rupp To Win 1,500, Simpson Holds Off Martinez (updated) Two weeks ago, Manzano ran 3:57 in his opener but was last place
in a super-stacked mile in Arkansas. In the women's 1,500m, Jenny Simpson edged Brenda Martinez, showing Martinez is the real deal (Martinez had by FAR the best finish as she got boxed and was 6-7 meters back with 100m to go and barely lost), and Sanya Richards-Ross ran a 50.71 meet record. Chaunte Lowe set an American record in the women's high jump, showing she is more than back from maternity leave. Distance recaps, results, and videos with winners.
RRW: Leo Manzano Outkicks Centro And Rupp For 1,500m Title, Jenny Simpson Completes Double Title Defense
*Rupp Loses Both His Races But Wins Overall Indoor Visa Championship Series Rupp: "I had no idea I was in the running until after Fayetteville ... I’ll be taking my wife out to a nice diner tonight." Reese Hoffa won the "top 4 in the world" SP with 21.75m/71-4.5.
*Ashton Eaton Wins LJ With A New PR
On The Boards: Manzano outkicks Centrowitz and Rupp!
Really, what happened Rupp in the last two laps tonight?
LRC USATF Indoor Men's 3k: Lagat, Lomong Crush Rupp (updated w/ video interviews) Galen Rupp pushed the pace early, hoping his 12th attempt at beating powerhouse Lagat would be the charm, but was badly dropped before the bell, unable to challenge Lagat, who then crushed Lopez Lomong with a 25-second last lap. On to Worlds for Lagat, where he may be the favorite to defend his title. Like Lagat, Jenny Simpson ran away with the women's 3,000m title. Find out why she won't be running in Istanbul
*IAAF Recap Day 1 Will Claye jumped 17.63m in the TJ for the furthest mark by an American in 23 years.
*Jennifer Suhr Overcomes Aching Achilles To Win PV At US Champs She only had to clear two heights and then made 3 attempts to break her own AR, but missed.
*Results *LRC Official USA Indoor TNF Champs ABQ Thread
*Lagat: "I just wanted to show these guys that Daddy can still kick." RRW Recap
PreRace: With Help From Coach Joe Vigil, Brenda Martinez Begins To Shine Martinez is doing it right, doing high-low training. A lot of athletes just do altitude training.
College Conference Action *USTFCCCA Champs Central
*MPSF: *Stanford Women Claim Title Arizona and Oregon were a close 2-3. *ASU Men Win First MPSF Championship *Full Results *Lawi Lalang 7:44 Lalang wins by 7 seconds over Trevor Dunbar, who also autoed for NCAA. Chris Derrick gets 2nd in the mile to Long Beach St.'s Matt Maldonado. Miles Batty wins the 800 and anchors
BYU DMR to 9:29.00. *Watch Lalang Get After It 59.9 Flotrack *MB: AWESOME
DMR's at MPSF
*Great Interview With Jordan Hasay About Sacrificing Short Term Success (Indoor) For The Long Term (Outdoor) She finished 2nd in the 3k to Deborah Maier.
*Summit: Cam Levins: performance of the week?? LRC Boards
*Big 10 Indiana Men, Nebraska Women Take Home Big Ten Championships Andy Bayer approaching legend status: Mile win, 3k win, 5k 3rd (13:51) 26 points ... Indiana men win by 4! Husker women host, win champs *Results
*SEC: SEC Crowns For Arkansas Men, Florida Women *Results
*Big XII Aggies Sweep Big 12 Titles *Results *Pat Henry After A&M Sweep Flotrack
*Ryan Crouser Wins Big 12 SP
*Ivy League HepsTrack.com Event-By-Event Recap/Results Princeton men won over hosts Cornell by 8 points as did the Columbia women by 21pts. *RWW: Princeton Men, Columbia Women Earn HEPS Titles Thanks To Distance Victories *MB:Abbey D'Agostino upset at Ivy Champs
More European News: As Usual, Fast Times At Russian Champs ... Russian Indoor Results
- 21-Year-Old Marina Pospelova Runs World-Leading 1:59:45 At Russian Champs She didn't run the final.
- Aleksandra Fedoriva Runs European-Leading 51.18 400m
- 40,000 More Olympic Tickets To Be Released
Stockholm - *Results *Video Of PV WR *More Yahoo Photos Of Record
World Record For Yelena Isinbayeva (Updated) In case you wondered, Yelena Isinbayeva is fully back as she went 5.01 for the world record. Asked whether anyone could beat her this year, she said, "I think you can answer that question yourself," in reference to her 29cm winning margin. Isiah Koech won the 3k over Dejen Gebremeskel, Caleb Ndiku
man from earlier this year Augustine Choge. Morgan Uceny ran 4:08 to get a close 3rd in the 1,500m as Anna Pierce struggled again.
*Brit Holly Bleasdale Was A Distant Second In PV With 4.72m
*Athletics Weekly Recap: Mohamed Aman Wins 800 In 1:45.84 As Adam Kszczot Is A Disappointing 5th Worth noting that last week the roles were reversed, as Kszczot won in 1:44.57 and Aman (the man who beat David Rudisha) was 5th.
*Dayron Robles Wins Stockholm 60m Hurdles As Liu Xiang Is DQed For A False Start
*"Yelena Isinbayeva Is At Her Best When Challenged"
*IAAF Article (To Be Updated)
Week That Was
LRC Pamela Jelimo, Nick Symmonds Medal Chances Go Down, Good News For Ritz, Coaching Advice Of The Week And Photos Of The Week We catch you up on the goings-on of the running world in LetsRun.com fashion. The biggest news of the week was at a race you probably didn't even know took place.
Random US News
- Bring Back The Mile: Massachusetts The Only State To Still Run The Mile At Its State Meet
- Let's Hope They Advertise On LetsRun.com - We'll Do It For Product - Sam Adams To Unveil New Boston Marathon Beer On Thursday The Samuel Adams Boston 26.2 Brew "will have a slightly lower alcohol level and lighter body than many other Samuel Adams beers."
- CBS Marketwatch Looks At How Marathon Is Much More Marketable Than Rest Of Track & Field And Talks To Meb & Shalane To Prove It
- USA Today: B-Ball Uniforms Are 14 Ounces Lighter Than Normal All we say is bring back the short Larry Bird shorts which are even lighter.
- NY Times Article On Former Olympic Swimming Champ Janet Evans, Who Is Returning To Competition At 40 Years Old
A Definite Recommended Read & Discuss
Sports Illustrated & Tim Layden Profile Mo Farah & Galen Rupp: A Bond Born At Speed The two training partners clearly will have vastly different amounts of pressure on them at the London Games and it's clear that Rupp is happy to not be in the spotlight: "I don't envy Mo. He's going to have a bunch of people cheering for him, but all that stress. It's nice sometimes to just train and not have all that external stuff."
MB: Rupp 10.9 and Farah 11.3 for the 100m *Do you believe the rest of the SI article about Rupp & Farah? 8 x 1200 at 4,551 Ft Altitude in 3:09/2min rest? *Alberto Salazar's coaching pre-Galen Rupp *Does Rupp have any realistic chance of beating Lagat this weekend?
- Kenyan 5,000 & 10,000 Trials At Pre Classic Is Now Being Hotly Debated In Kenya As Former Greats Moses Tanui And Paul Tergat Voice Disapproval Tanui points out that the cost of shipping one athlete to Eugene would go a long way in Kenya.
- Masai Warrior David Rudisha Gets Reuters Profile
- Dave Bedford Expects Someone Could "Carve A Chunk Off" Men's Course Record At 2012 Virgin London Marathon
- Benedict Arnold Updates Sub-4 Transfers Pat Casey And Riley Masters Justify Their Decision To Leave Hometown Colleges To OU Student Newspaper
- Washington Post Looks At Fact That Building Built In 1901 That Doesn't Allow LJ Or TJ Hosts Md. State Qualifying Meets We loved this quote from an old-time coach who defended the use of the building: "I think we're getting soft in our old age," said Clarksburg Coach Scott Matthias with a smile. "Do I love it? No. Do I rather [run at] PG? Yes. But a race is a race whether it's faster or slower than at other places."
- Imagine This - A Good Head-To-Head Matchup
Asafa Powell To Race Usain Bolt In Rome On May 31st Last year, the two also raced in Rome and Powell was only .02 behind Bolt.
- Usain Bolt Goes To Local Road Race/Serves As Starter For 5.6km Corporate Race *18:08 Wins 5.6 Km Race
- Ivet Lalova Wants Medals At European Champs This Year Don't known Lalova? She's an LRC interview sensation and the 2nd-fastest European ever at 100m.
Ex-Scottish Rugby Player Thom Evans, Who Was Nearly Killed On The Pitch Two Years Ago With A Broken Vertebra, Is Back As A 60m Man Now He's not all that fast (7.23) but it's an amazing accomplishment.
Interesting Read A Look Back At The Last Time London Hosted The Olympics: The 1948 "Austerity Olympics" The 1948 Games were a huge success but put on with a tiny budget of just £760,000. Competitors were given bed linens but expected to bring their own towels. "Today, when seven years are needed to organise a multibillion-pound Olympics, it is fitting to reflect on these 'Austerity Olympics,' in which so much was achieved, in so little time, with so little money. The Games were an extraordinary occasion, a true celebration of victory after dark times, and one of the most inexpensive and unpretentious Olympiads of the twentieth century."
Sydney Track Classic *Results
Kiprop 1:45.9, Rudisha 45.61, David Torrence 3:35.6 Wins The Australian season got underway in full force with the two best mid-distance runners, Olympic and World 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop and World 800m champ David Rudisha, both dropping down in distance. Rudisha ran 45.61 at 400, while Kiprop got the 800m win in 1:45.9. Kiprop dropping down let American David Torrence win the 1,500 in 3:35.6. World hurdles champ Sally Pearson did the hurdles/200m double. Nick Symmonds did not have his kick and was a well-beaten 6th in 1:47.44, which is a pretty good opener.
- Valerie Adams Wins SP
- On The Boards: Kiprop Wins it in 1:45.96, Riseley Kicks Hard for Second
- Rudisha 45:82 at Sydney!!!!
- David Torrence 3:35 WL in Sydney today
LRC Track Talk Live From Kenya LRC Employee #1 talks about meeting Kiprop and Rudisha. Did you know Rudisha was doing the decathlon for a while?
Kenyan XC Champs
Bedan Karoki, Joyce Chepkirui Win The Toughest XC Race On The Planet Karoki is the Japanese-based athlete who won the Stanford 10,000m last year. Chepkirui had a breakout year in 2011, running 30:38 on the roads (prior to last
year, she had never broken 33 minutes) and ran 31:26 to win the Zatopek 10k. World and NYC Marathon champ Edna Kiplagat was 3rd, while former World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya was 49th.
*Bedan Karoki Says Kenyan XC Was Part Of Buildup For Fukuoka Marathon (Which Is In December)
*Over The Flu: Vivian Cheruiyot To Race World's Best 10km This Saturday She missed out on Birmingham with the flu.
*Pre Classic Update: Meet Director Tom Jordan Comments On Kenyan 10,000m Trials Being At The Pre Classic Says it looks "promising" but not "confirmed yet." He only spoke of the 10k and wouldn't comment on the possibility of the 5k being included too.
*Kenyan 5,000m And 10,000m Trials To Be At Prefontaine Classic This is big news. The details clearly aren't out, as Chris Solinsky is trying to figure out what it means for him (i.e., whether the races will be Kenyan only). More here.
LRC Track Talk Live From Kenya Employee #1 has been in Kenya for 2 weeks, meeting with many of the sport's stars. In this 45-minute broadcast, get the inside scoop.
Talk About A Comeback: Philip Mosima, Who Competed In 1988 Kenyan Olympic Trials As A 12-Year-Old, Is Trying To Make A Comeback At Kenyan XC Champs He ran 12:53 in 1996 when 12:53 was unbelievably fast.
Meb, Ritz, Kara And Desi To Run 2012 NYC Half Also sponsorless man Scott Bauhs will run as will a bunch of other Americans, including 2009 WChamps 5,000 team member Julie Culley in her
*Transcript Of Meb, Bob Larsen & Mary Wittenberg Teleconference (Word document) Meb reveals that his wife ran a 5k in 26:05, officially eliminating their children as #1 prospects for the class of 2030.
*Denver Post Catches Up With Ritz, Who Is Excited To Get Back To The Track - Ritz: "I still think I'm one of the best runners in the world."
*Ritz Blogs About His Recent Training: "I got out my spikes for the first time in two and a half years."
Fast Times In Lieven! *Website/Results
- Olympic 800m Champ Pamela Jelimo Sparks Back To Life In Lievin It was her first sub-2 since the Trials for the 2009 Berlin World Championships.
- Poland's Adam Kszczot Runs 1:44.57 And Moves To 3rd On World All-Time Indoor List Ethiopia's Mohamed Aman (the man who beat David Rudisha) was 5th in 1:46.80. Olympic bronze medallist Edwin Soi ran 7:32.56 for 3k to beat out 12:53 5k man
and 20+-year-oldIsiah Koech (7:32.89). Koech's time got him the world "junior" record. World indoor silver medallist Abdelaati Iguider won the 1,500 in a WLing 3:34.10. Mariem Alaoui-Selsouli ran 4:03.67 to win the 1,500 (Brit Steph Twell was ninth in 4:11.65).
*IAAF Recap Lievin
- Jamaica's Lerone Clarke Beats Christophe Lemaitre To Set The WL In The 60m At 6.50 Seconds Lemaitre went on to win the 200m in 20.92. Morocco's Malika Akkaoui set a world-leading time of 1:59.01 in the 800, beating Olympic champ Pamela Jelimo (1:59.10). Yelena Isinbayeva is rounding into shape as she won the PV in 15 feet, 9 1/4 inches and made three attempts at a WR mark of 16-1 1/4 (Jen Suhr has current WR at 16-0.)
2012 Millrose Games *Results *Lagat, Wanamaker Mile Video
- LRC: Lagat Smashes American Record, Collegiate Record Books Rewritten Bernard Lagat ran 13:07.15 and smashed Galen Rupp's American indoor record, but the most impressive achievements may have been the rewriting of the collegiate record books. Lawi Lalang (13:08) not only obliterated the old indoor record but he ran faster than Henry Rono's nearly 34-year-old outdoor record. Chris Derrick got beaten badly but becomes the 5th-fastest collegian in the US indoors or outdoors. In the Wanamaker mile, Matt Centrowitz reminded us why he won the bronze medal at Worlds and Miles Batty broke the collegiate record.
- NY Times: Centrowitz Makes It Look So Easy (3:53.92) - American, Collegiate & HS Records Fall In 5,000 Centrowitz is one of the world's best milers and he showed it on Saturday as he totally schooled the collegians who were lined up to challenge him, although the top collegian didn't care, as Miles Batty got the collegiate record with a 3:54.54. In the women's 1,500, world champ Jenny Simpson beat Shannon Rowbury as both ran 4:06. LaShawn Merritt came up way short of the WR in the 500.
- Miles Batty Reacts To Collegiate Record
- MB: Lagat AR (13:07) Lawi 2nd in 13:08 CR, Cheserek 13:57 and Derrick 13:19!
- MB: Centrowitz just jogged a 3:53
- MB: Batty destroys CR
2012 Boston Marathon
LRC Boston Marathon Releases Elite Fields For 2012 2011 champs Geoffrey Mutai & Caroline Kilel will try to defend their titles against a field that includes 5 sub-2:05 and 2:23 competitors.
LRC Hello World, Meet Ayele Abshero (2:04:23 Debut!) The 21-year-old former Jr. World XC champ's marathon debut was super-special, as his surge with just over 3km remaining decimated
marathon field in history, as four
men broke 2:05 in the race, eight broke 2:06, 10 broke 2:07, and 17 broke 2:10 - all records as fastest-ever times for places were recorded in spots three through
17. 2011 belonged to the Kenyan men, will 2012 belong to Ethiopia? The women's race was super-fast and super-deep as well, as 3 women broke 2:20 in the same race for the 1st time, as Aselefech Mergia ran 2:19:31 to win and a record 9 women broken 2:25. Martin Lel was a DNF, Ramaala 2:12. *AP
*Butcher: Ethiopians Strike Back
*MB: 4 guys I've never heard of go sub 2:05 in Dubai
Be Inspired By These Two Olympic Trials Breakthrough Performers
- Recommended Read! The
Ultimate Blue-Collar Runner: Meet Jimmy Grabow - The Guy With A Full-Time Job Who Ran 2:12:29 At The Trials In His First Marathon If this piece doesn't inspire you, then we don't know what will. The guy gets up every day at 5:30 and bangs out 15 miles + a core workout before going to a real 40-hour/week job before running 5 more miles after work.
*MB: Jimmy Grabow - The Ultimate Blue Collar Runner Do you know about the blue collar or yuppie debate - it's one of the greatest in LRC history.
- 5 Minutes With Alissa McKaig She PRed by 5+ minutes to finish 8th at the OTrials in 2:31.
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
- Washington Post Recap Of Trials
- Deena: "I have no idea. This was not in my plans ... I really thought I was going to book my ticket to London today." MB Thread: Will Deena Kastor retire now?
The Big Interview: Dathan Ritzenhein
LRC Ritz Reflects On The Trials, His Years With Alberto, And Looks To The Future 24 hours after Dathan Ritzenhein just missed making the 2012 the Olympic Marathon team, a frank but more upbeat Ritz sat down and talked with LetsRun.com. He looked back on the Trials race ("I ran pretty good. It just was not enough.") and back on the last three years with Alberto ("He is a very smart, very passionate guy more than anything. He will find the way." and "There's been many times when we've screwed up.") before looking ahead to both the immediate future ("The Olympics is everything.") and farther down the road ("I do love the marathon, but I think I love being good better ... I want to succeed at what I'm going to be best at."). A confident Ritz has big plans for the future. A must read (or watch) if we can say so ourselves. Plus we give you splits of the last 3.2 miles in Houston.
Day 1 USATF Indoor Photos, (Tokyo Marathon Photos Here)
Weekend High School Action
*MileSplit: Donovan Robertson Sets NR In The 60m Hurdles With 7.57 Najee Glass ran 46.06 400 to beat Aldrich Bailey's 46.07.
*DyeStat Recap NJ Meet Of Champs: Ben Malone Wins 1,600 (NOT A Mile!) In MR 4:11.66 Dana Giordano ran a MR 3,200 in 10:24.73.
San Diego Tribune On Eamonn Coghlan's World Record In Indoor Mile 31 Years Ago We can give this the attention it deserves after this weekend's action.
Spend 10 Minutes To Get To Know The World's Best(?) Marathoner Patrick Makau (Also Has Footage Of Him Training In Kenya)
Women At The Olympics(?)
*IOC Opens Women's Sports Conference With Video Of Olympic Heroes That Features Just 4 Women Out of 34 Shown USA Today's Christine Brennan rips the IOC here for being 100% sexist. How can they consider putting the Olympics in sexist Qatar?
*Doha Including More Sport Opportunities For Women As Part Of Its 2020 Olympic Bid Qatar has never sent a female to the Olympics but this year it will sent at least TWO!
*Human Rights Watch Reminds Us That Saudi Arabia & Brunei Have Never Sent A Woman To The Olympics
Race Of The Week: Kipchoge Outkicks Farah In 2-Mile (Final 500 Or Full Race)
Save Millersville XC/T&F
Millersville University Men's Cross-Country And Track Programs Being Cut This program has the school's only NCAA title. Sign this petition to save it. Ato Boldon already has (#3,485 on list). *News Video
College Corner (More In Our College Forum)
*University Of Pittsburgh's Brycen Spratling Breaks Collegiate 500m Record At Big East Conference Champs
*Big East Results Most of the conference meets are this weekend.
*Emily Infeld Wins 3k/Mile/DMR To Lead Hoyas To 12-Point Win
*Notre Dame Men Win
*Infeld, Van Dalen Triple Winners In Conference Meets
*More College Results Here
LetsRun.com Track Talk Live From Kenya: Friday's Live Show Is Now Available On Demand In The Player Below (Or Download It Here)
News Of Note
- Chat With Chris Derrick
- Recommended Read High School: How A Quarterback Won The Mile At The Millrose Games
- CNN Catches Up With Tyson Gay, Who Believes 2012 Is Going To Be A Speical Year For Him
- Kiwi 1,500m Star Nikki Hamblin Has To Prove Fitness To Make New Zealand Olympic Team As She Comes Back From Achilles Injury
Rupp's 2-Mile American Record From Arkansas (Last 2:20 Or The Full Race)
Friday's RAK Half Marathon Photo Gallery
Final 400 (Or Full Race) Of Lagat's American Record (Wanamaker Mile Video Here)
Photo Gallery: Rupp Makes History (Interview Below Or Here)
USA XC Photo Galleries *Women Here *Men Here
Week In Review
LRC 5 Thoughts On NBIGP, Patrick Makau Gets Beaten, Drug Talk, A Crazy Half Marathon In Japan And Minnesota Mid-D We give you more thoughts on the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix and tell you who really won the 800, then turn to the roads and talk about Patrick Makau getting beaten and a crazy half marathon in Japan, plus an update on Minnesota's great middle-d program, plus some training advice.
Trailer For "ITEN - The Town Of RED Dust"
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Universal Sports Back To Top