- BOA's Lifetime Olympic Ban For Drug Cheats Declared "Non-Compliant" By WADA The BOA is expected to appeal with CAS, but "experts expect it to fail." This will mean UK runners such as Dwain Chambers will get to race the Olympics. *BBC Article
- Dwain Chambers A Step Closer To Olympics
- Lawyer Does Not Expect A Life Ban For Steve Mullings
Philly Was Sunday *Results *Half Results
*RIP: Two Runners Die After Collapsing In Philly Marathon A 21-year-old man collapsed at the finish line and a 40-year-old collapsed about a quarter-mile before it.
*Philly Marathon: Tuko Folisho Wins In 2:19:16 Mariska Kramer wins women's in 2:35:46.
*Philly Half Results: Samuel Ndereba Wins In 64:04 (Close Race Places 1-6) Yihunlish Delelecha wins women's in 1:12:42.
International Weekend Results
- Haile Gebrselassie Wins Nijmegen 15k In 42:44 Over Kenya's Vincent Kipruo (43:15)
*Video Interview With Haile Post-Race Says that the race went out too slow.
- IAAF Recap Spain XC Meet:: World XC Bronze Medallist Vincent Kiprop Chepkok Gets The Win World Marathon silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo dominates the women's race.
- Crazy: Kenyans Race Against Strong Winds, Hot Conditions, And Possible Wildlife Attacks At Masai Half Marathon Nicholas Kipkemboi won in 62:28, Jemima Chelagat for the women in 67:07. Kipkemboi: "Coming here to win makes me proud. There was of course the fear of the wildlife, but I knew there was enough security so I had time to focus on the race."
- 2006 Boston Marathon Champ, Rita Jeptoo Busienei, Wins Local Kenyan Marathon Easily In 2:36:15 Paul Koech won the men's race in 2:15.
- Yokohama Women's International Marathon:
*Japan's Ryoko Kizaki Wins Yokohama International Women's Marathon She won over 2009 World Championships silver medallist, Ozaki, but said, "I was close to giving up when she spurted in the last two kilometres, but I tried not to give up until the last hundred metres. I kept thinking that I want to go to the London Olympics." However, her time might not be fast enough to get her selected.
*Britain’s Mara Yamauchi Secures Olympic Spot With 3rd Place (2:27:24)
*Rene Kalmer Runs Fastest Time By A South African In 12 Years For 5th (2:29:59)
*Japan Running News Recap Yokohama And Other Japan Results Japan marathon NR holder, Mizuki Noguchi, fades in Neijmegen 15k and gets 5th.
Other International News
*Kenyan National Team Coach Unhappy Top Runners Are Absent From Local XC Meets "There are no better preparations for an athlete than competing in cross country since it helps in building endurance and speed. Every runner from 800m to 10,000m should be here." This is what happens when World XC is biennial; not even the Kenyans are racing it.
*Q&A With Usain Bolt: Says Rihanna Is His Celeb Crush
*Bolt Beats Hypothetical 'Greatest-Ever' 200 Field
*Britain Might Deploy "Heli-Snipers" During Olympics
*UK's Jenny Meadows Uses Daegu Disappointment As London Motivation
OR/WA Border Clash Meet - Washington Sweeps Both Men's & Women's Races We think it's very strange that they had almost half the field false started, but they weren't called back. The winner of the girls race broke the course record, but our question is will it count even with the recognized false start? MB: Horrible false start at Border Clash and they weren't called back
Recommended Read: Orphan To Olympian: Reese Hoffa's Long Road Reese Hoffa lived most of his life in guilt after his teenage mom put him up for adoption shortly after he burned down their house at 4 years old. When he spoke to her years later, his first words were: "I'm sorry I burned down the house."
NCAAs - DII/DIII *DII Results *DIII Men's Results *DIII Women's Results MB: *DIII Cross Country: 2011 *DII Nationals at Spokane
- DII: Western State Men Take NCAA Crown For 9th Time Western State's Ryan Haebe and Tyler Pennel went 1-2.
- Augustana Women Win Div. II Cross-Country Shippenburg's Neely Spence won individually.
- DIII: North Central Men Win 14th Title St. Thomas' Ben Sathre held off Geneseo's Lee Berube to get the win.
- Wash. U. Wins First Women's XC Title Williams' Chiara Del Piccolo won the individual title.
*LRC NCAA DIII Polls: North Central And Middlebury Favored For 2011 Our first-ever DIII poll breaks down the DIII action. updated 11/19
*LRC DII Polls: Adams State Men Favored, Tight Battle On Women's Side updated 11/19
- Video Press Conference With Haile G Ahead Of Netherlands 15k Says he was "too ambitious" in Berlin.
- IAAF Recap Kenya Cross-Country Series, Meet 3: Isiah Kiplangat Koech Gets The Win
- World 400m Hurdle Champ Dai Greene Says Has No Regrets About Turning Down Chance To Play Pro Soccer
- Rising UK Sprinting Star Conrad Williams: "Running is my life now. In the days before I started, I was a completely different person."
- IAAF Vice Preseident Sergey Bubka Congratulates Seb Coe On Winning 2017 For The UK ... even though he most likely voted for Doha.
Weekend HS Action:
*Go Here To Watch Nike BorderClash At 10AM PST On Sunday
*MileSplit Weekend Coverage Coverage for NXN Regional meets, Florida State Meet, NJ Meet of Champs (CBA boys win), NY Federation Meet, and more.
Sign Petition To Save University Of Maryland Men's Cross-Country And Track Programs Panel considering cutting 8 sports, including XC/Track.
Non-NCAA Action This Weekend/Upcoming
- Haile Gebrselassie Running This Sunday's "Seven Hills Run," A 15k Road Race In The Netherlands World Champs marathon silver medallist Vincent Kipruto (2:05:13 marathon PR) and 5th placer David Barmassai Tumo also in field. Fast course, as it holds both men's and women's 15k WRs. Plus Mizuki Noguchi on the women's side.
*Haile G To Run Tokyo Marathon In An Attempt To Qualify For Ethiopia's 2012 Olympic Team
- IAAF Preview Spain XC Meet On Sunday: World XC Bronze Medallist Vincent Kiprop Chepkok Leads Field Kenya's WChamps marathon silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo leads for the women.
- Japan Running News Previews Yokohama International Women's Marathon, The First Japanesse Olympic Qualifying Race 2009 World Champs silver medallist Yoshimi Ozaki has best shot at qualifying. Some top UK women also shooting for Olympic spots.
- NY Times Article On This Weekend's Brooklyn Marathon
Q&A With World University Games 800m Champ Lachlan Renshaw Includes video with a pretty crazy last 100m. Renshaw is part of OTC and trains with Nick Symmonds and Tyler Mulder. Gives some insight into the OTC mid-distance training under Coach Mark Rowland, whose program seems to emphasize mileage more than many mid-d programs.
Will Doing The 4 X 4 Hurt Usain Bolt's Chances Of Helping Jamaica Defend 4 X 1 Title? Since the 4 x 1 is after the 4 x 4, the the answer is yes, definitely. Doesn't mean he can't still win, though.
Famous Athlete Plane Crashes Throughout The Years Interesting in a sad way.
Steve Mullings Found Guilty He may face a lifetime ban as this is his second offense. *2nd Article
*BOA Chariman Colin Moynihan Accused Of Making "Misinformed Allegations" By Angry WADA Chief
*Colin Moynihan To Defend Anti-Doping Policy Against WADA
- Definitely Blue Collar Running: Video Of Asbel Kiprop Training Session Where He Runs Pulling Tires Behind Him In The Rain Go to 20 minutes into the video.
- Good Profile On Christophe Lemaitre From The NY Times Coach Pierre Carraz: "In the beginning, I was seriously asking myself if I wasn't dealing with someone who was autistic. He hardly talked at all and even now he doesn't talk much. But I'm beginning to think that he's gifted in some way."
- Integrity At Its Finest: Sweden's Former Olympic Heptathlon Champ Carolina Kluft Says She Might Change Her Mind About Retiring After 2012 "But then nothing is written in stone, and I know I can change my mind as much as I want. I don't have to follow through on what I've said."
- Sally Pearson: "No diamond, but a rare gem nonetheless." Article discusses the debate over her winning the IAAF AOY Award and the process that goes into that selection.
- Triple Jump Star Teddy Tamgho Returning To Training After Taking Time Of For Broken Ankle
News From The UK & Europe
- Washington Post Looks At How Seb Coe Is Getting London Ready For 2012 In Midst Of Economic Meltdown "If you are Sebastian Coe, the famous former British miler who is now heading the committee in charge of next summer's London Games, you don't try to top the 2008 Games in Beijing. Instead, you attack the Olympic challenge like you did all of those gritty middle-distance contests in the late 1970s and early '80s. They required tactics as much as pure speed, and sometimes weren't quite as fast as expected, or as pretty."
- Paula Radcliffe To Be 1st Athlete Selected For British Team To London 2012
- Guy Who Cut Course In UK is Banned For 6 Months
- Seb Coe Wants Olympic Torch To Go Through Dublin
- London Mayor: The £5 Million Inducement That London Gave To The IAAF For 2017 Prize Money Won't Come From Taxpayers
- Serhiy Lebid Says He'll Go For 10th European Cross Title On Dec. 11th
- NY Times: Tyson's Gay's hip impingement or bone shaving surgery is popular but does it work and is it necessary?
- Delaware Runner Wins National Club College Individual Title The UD program was cut this year. Illinois (87), Iowa State (115) and Virginia (128) were the top men's teams. Must mean they have lots of walk-on talent but strict Title IX restrictions.
- Boy Crawls Across Finish Line At Louisiana State Meet
South East Asian Games Recap: Thailand Dominates The 800 Vietnamese national record is now 1:49.42.
Week That Was
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Amazes Again, Adam Goucher Retires, & Lukas Verzbicas Calls It Quits We go behind the scenes to take a look at the last two weeks in the running world, which included the NYC Marathon, Adam Goucher's retirement, and Lukas Verzbicas leaving Oregon mid-season. Plus we take a look at the Phil Hersh-Ryan Hall spat and compare Hall to Tim Tebow.
- Phil Hersh Says Wejo & LRC Are Right - Toni Reavis & David Monti Got It Wrong - Lukas V Must Be A US Citizen To Go To The Olympics For US
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack Laughs At Bribery Investigation He says the big money he got in 1993 was because he needed help as his house had been burned down with his family inside.
- Athletics Kenya Head Slams IAAF Over Cheruiyot AOY Gala Snub - Says She Can't Be Blamed For Lack of Online Votes As Africa Is Way Behind On Internet Usage "This is not a beauty pageant where the one with the best looks gets to win. Neither should they use online voting as a reason since it is quite clear that Africans are not on the same level in the usage of the internet. The selection needs to be changed." *Another Article Where Kiplagat Gets Mad
- Lord Moynihan, The Chairman Of The British Olympic Association, Says Brits Have Right To Have Stiffer Drug Bans "The system put in place by WADA has failed to catch the major drug cheats of our time. The likes of Marion Jones, many cyclists and the BALCO operation are only a few of those who have been tracked down and prosecuted, not by WADA but by the law enforcement officers. So now is a time for change. Now is a time for informed review."
- More Lord Moynihan "We now have a situation where drugs cheats will be able to compete in London 2012," Moynihan said. "We must decide: is the outcome we want a watered-down, increasingly toothless gesture towards zero tolerance?"
- The Guardian Asks What Makes Sprinters & Usain Bolt Great And Declares "It's hard to imagine a white sprinter climbing on top of the Olympic 100m podium." The article quotes great coach Dan Pfaff asking the following question. "When he gets to 50m there's not usually a lot of traffic around him, so it would be interesting to see if he got to 50m, 70m, even 80m and three guys were still with him. Would he run a crazy time or would he fold?"
- Michael Johnson Says Bolt Could Be 400m WR Holder But Thinks His 100 And 200 Will Struggle If He Trains For 400 We disagree with this statement. "But he can't just step onto the track and run a 44 or a 43-second split just off 100 and 200m training." We guess he forgot about the 43.58 that Bolt ran back in 2010.
- Yohan Blake Says Winning Medals, Not Beating Training Partner Usain Bolt Is Focus The article also states that Bolt admits Blake's work ethic is way bigger than his. In fact, Blake was late for the IAAF awards show as he was working out.
- Carl Lewis Creates Controversy Yet Again
Carl Lewis Says London Is Great, But ... "London of course is a great destination for the '17 Worlds but, as usual, we knew it was a backroom deal."
- Allyson Felix To Run At MFKAM (Meet Formerly Known As Millrose)
- Swedish Beauty Carolina Kluft Says She May Not Retire After 2012 After All
Olympic Marathon Trials 60 Days Away
Meb Says Of Olympic Trials Competitors: "They Better Be Nervous."
Cool Video Board: Race Ryan Hall At NYC Subway Stop We saw this on RunnersWorld but Gizmodo and Reddit have picked it up and the YouTube video has over 200,000 views.
Alan Webb Still With Nike
Look Out, Nike: Kenyan Brand Kourage Launched Of course Nike and Kourage both don't have a chance since Puma has partnered with little LetsRun.com for the LRC Puma Faas Challenge.
Usain Bolt And Sally Pearson Are Surprising 2011 IAAF Athletes Of The Year And $100,000 Richer Vivian Cheruiyot won just about everything she ran but it wasn't enough. Yohan Blake was pretty damn good, but journalists must
had trouble giving it to a guy they
figured would lose if he raced Bolt.
On The Boards: BOLT did NOT deserve to win IAAF-AOY
We're Glad He's Alive
Personal Crisis Likely Led To Disappearance Of UAA Star Runner He went missing in near 0 degree temperatures for 2 days and was found with frostbite.
Three Cheers To London And Qatar
London To Host 2017 Worlds And Qatar Made Sure They Paid A Ton To Do It More money for the sport is a good thing, although we think the British taxpayers could be on the hook if things don't go as planned. London, however, says it will sell $1 Billion in Sponsorship.
*Doha Got London To Guarantee £4.5 Million More At Last Second
*Although Qatar Lost London 2017, It May Get 2020 Olympics And has the 2022 World Cup.
*Denise Lewis On Seb Coe: "Lord Coe's speech made the hairs on my neck stand up."
*Australia's Gold Coast Gets 2018 Commonwealth Games
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
NYC On The Boards:
- Official New York Marathon Thread
- If That Wasn't The Greatest Marathon Ever Run, What Was
- How fast has New York M to be comparable to 2"03'38 ?
- How Bout Some Props to Meb Keflezighi
- NYC Mens preview - Brojos giving too much credit to Geoffrey Mutai
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
NCAAs Are Today *Watch Live At Noon ET *LRC Prediction Contest
LRC Fan Nation Picks: Wisconsin, Florida State, Lawi Lalang And Sheila Reid Are The Big Favorites We've crunched the first set of numbers from our Puma Prediction Contest to rank all 31 teams and 75+ individuals.
LRC: Men's Preview: Wisco Vs. Oklahoma State, Lawi Lalang Vs. Leonard Korir The Monday before Thanksgiving is almost here and that means the NCAA XC Championships in Terre Haute. OSU is going for the three-peat but they'll have their hands full with Wisconsin. We flash back to the 2004 Wisco "Dream Team" and are surprised it's the final NCAA XC for Chris Derrick, German Fernandez and Luke Puskedra, who all should get beaten by Lawi Lalang and Leonard Korir.
LRC: Women's Preview: Can Florida State Stop 'Nova? Will Reid Turn Back Hasay Again? Villanova is also going for the three-peat, but Florida State is the favorite. Sheila Reid got the best of Jordan Hasay last year. Can she do it again or could Kendra Schaaf challenge?
- Some Words From Minnesota's All-American Hassan Mead Before His Last NCAA Cross-Country Race
- Video Interview With OSU's Coach Dave Smith
- Head Coach Dave Smith Shares His Coaching Wisdom As OSU Goes For Their 3rd Consecutive NCAA Title "We haven't been as dominant this year as we were last year. There's a team out there, Wisconsin, that is much better than the teams we were facing last year, I think. In fact, they're ranked No. 1, and deservedly so. They're a really good team. But, like I told my guys, I would rather lose with the guys I've got now than win with anybody else."
- Good Read: Wisconsin Will Rely On A "Pack Mentality" Going Into NCAAs Maverick Darling: "Nothing has changed, we'll run as a group. It's a little more challenging because there are more people out there. The first (kilometer) will be a little chaotic, but it will work itself out and we'll find each other."
- Ducks Still Plan On Being Factors At NCAAs For the first time since 2005, the Oregon men will not compete as a full team at NCAAs. "That was my first year here," Vin Lananna said. "For Oregon, that is not an acceptable performance."
- Ryan Hall Talks About The Experience Of Winning An NCAA Team Championship
- Northern Arizona's Diego Estrada To Become U.S. Citizen
- Recommended Read: Kyle Merber Blogs About His And Columbia's Long Road To Their First-Ever NCAA Berth
- Badgers' Men Ready To Battle For NCAA Title
- Some Words From The Wisconsin Team Pre-NCAAs: They Want "5 In The Top 20"
- Georgetown Women Aiming For National Title
- Vandy Women Off For First Trip To Nationals Coach Steve Keith: "Dream. I keep joking, wake me up on Thanksgiving and tell me it all happened."
- Running Times: The Importance Of Depth For NCAA Titles
- Diego Estrada Interview Pre-NCAAs
- Michigan's Danielle Tauro's Thoughts After Winning The Great Lakes Regional: "I was like, 'Finally.'"
- RunningTimes Interview With Southern Utah's Cameron Levins (2nd To Miles Batty At Mountain Regional) Says he wants to "get up at the front and try to compete for the title" or at least top 5 or 10. It's his first trip to NCAAs.
- Can Washington Take The NCAA Women's Title?
- NCAA Qualifiers By State/Country Takes a look at where most NCAA qualifiers ran for HS. Texas had 30, California 27, New York 19 ... but with 35, Kenya topped them all.
- EatRunSwag Blogger's Pre-NCAAs Advice "That 8:30 am class going to prevent you from getting the required amount of sleep? Skip it, rest up for nattys (your coach can't legally tell you that, but I am, and I think that's ok). Let's be real, we're Athlete-Students this week."
USATF Showing Some Leadership
Track And Field Will Be Back In The Garden The Millrose Games may have
died moved to the Armory but USATF has stepped up and shown some leadership by announcing they will put on a new meet at Madison Square Garden next year, the US Open. Bernard Lagat says he's running it and most importantly ESPN will be televising it, showing the world our sport is
not a complete joke and can be held on a grand stage. Three cheers for USATF (we're not sure if we've ever said those words in the same sentence). *MBoard Thread *USATF Article
More US Stuff
- Michael Phelps, Tyson Gay And Lolo Jones Step Up To Try And Save Maryland Sports
- Jorge Torres Will Miss Olympic Marathon Trials After Injury Sustained When Hit By Car In Ireland "I think I've found somewhat of a path. Is it the right one? I don't know. I'm just doing the best with what I have. It's just the approach I've taken. When I retire, looking back, I can say I at least gave it a shot in the post-Greg Fedyski years."
- Watch This Video: Runner Collapses And Crawls Across Finish Line At Louisiana State Meet
- A Brief Chat With Binghamton University's Erik Van Ingen Talks about his independent film which is a documentary that follows Chris Derrick (Stanford), Riley Masters (University of Maine), Kyle Merber (Columbia), and Mark Feigen (Columbia) through a summer of training. It's called The Real Maine and you can see the trailer here.
- This Sunday: First Ever Brooklyn Marathon
NCAAs Are Coming And The Big Programs Are Generating Press (Got More Articles? Email Us.)
- Wisconsin's Mick Byrne Tries To Get Rid Of Favorite's Tag "Certainly last year's champion, Oklahoma State, two-time champion Oklahoma State, I mean, on paper, everybody knows they're certainly the team to beat."
- Oklahoma State's Dave Smith: "This will be our most difficult route to another potential championship, but I believe in this team to get the job done."
- Mark Wetmore Pleased With Colorado Team Chemistry: "We believe in the concept of synergy."
- Cal Poly Women Going To NCAAs For 1st Time Ever
- One We Missed: Lananna Says Oregon Team Found Out About Lukas V's Departure Via Press Release - Says He Tried To Talk Him Out Of It "Of course. I tried to make sure all sides of the equation were represented fairly. As any adult, I try to provide young men and women with sound, solid, objective, rational, non-emotional decisions about what their options are. He is a talented young man with a great future. I do feel he will come to grips with all of this, and for the sake of track and field, and for his sake, I hope the door stays open for him to come back to track and field, whether it's at Oregon or some other school."
- Former Wisconsin Runner Ryan Craven Thinks Mick Byrne's Relaxed Approach Is Ideal For NCAAs The former Badger who ran for both Mick Byrne and Jerry Schumacher has written an article that has caused the message board to explode as he compares the styles of the two coaching icons and comes to the conclusion that he thinks the more relaxed Byrne style is better for NCAAs.
former Badgers, including Simon Bairu and Chris Solinsky, have come to Schumacher's defense and all hell has broken loose. LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson tried to calm everyone down by chiming in with a post saying different things work for different teams and situations.
*MB: *Simon Bairu Blasts Ryan Craven *Lost all respect for BAIRU and SOLINSKY
- USTFCCCA Division I XC Regional Award Winners Released
Collis Birmingham Talks About Altitude Tents, His New Training Location And Goals For 2012 We loved his goals, "Olympics, PBs and to learn Spanish."
Racewalker Justifiably Gets Feature In New York Times: US Female Racewalker Will Compete In Men's Olympic Trials As There Is No Women's 50k Racewalk Erin Taylor-Talcott's time is good enough to get her into the Trials, so she should compete. That being said, we have a solution for the 50km gender disparity - get rid of it for both sexes.
Villanova Alums Trying To Get Former World Record Holder Sydney Maree Out Of South African Prison Last month's Philadelphia Inquirer feature on Maree has motivated some people to try to help. It appears he may be sleeping on the floor due to
From October: Sydney Maree: Villanova's Fallen Hero
Nick Symmonds Talks About His Leading Of The "Occupy USATF Movement" We feel Symmonds and the athletes' pain but don't think the lack of advertising space on a singlet is the key reason why athletes don't have big endorsements. Sports stars get endorsements and most runners aren't stars. Buick was never on Tiger Woods' jersey, McDonald's never on Lebron's.
We 100% Agree: NYTimes: Complicated Training Plans, Focus On Foot-Strike Often Turn Off Beginning Runners - For Beginning Runners, Advice Can Be a Hurdle As one man said, "(Training plans) are so complicated.I thought, 'Oh my God, it's just running.'"
College XC/Track News
*42 Years Ago From Tuesday, Lindgren Edged Pre At PAC-6s
*(Boston) Marathon Monday Ranked One Of Best College Traditions At Boston University Day drinking is a plus for most people, including this student. "Definitely, the wildest and most out-of-control moments in my college life have been Marathon Monday and Halloween. I mean on Marathon Monday you have the day-drinking, and it's spring time so kids are kind of going a little nuts because it's finally warm in Boston."
*An Incredible Hire: Allen Johnson Hired As Air Force Assistant We wouldn't have even made him interview.
*Maryland Track Alums Vent To Washington Times About Possibly Losing Program
Panel Calls For Cutting 8 Sports At Univ. Of Maryland, Including XC & Track
Says something about our sport when Maryland's head coach Andrew Valmon is the 2012 US Olympic Head Coach. Renaldo Nehemiah went to Maryland and they won every ACC title from 1956-1979. Now they'll be the only ACC program without a track team. Maybe Under Armour can help save them. *Message Board Thread To Try To Do Something
More Verzbicas (From A Triathlon Perspective)
Slowtwitch (Triathlon Website) Takes A Look At How Lukas' Stepdad Ended Up Being His College Coach Now And Finds It Kosher
At Least We Agree: Posters On Slowtwitch Forum Criticizes Lukas For Leaving Oregon In Middle Of Season
Lukas On The Boards:
- Any U of O people want to speak their mind about Lukas?
- Shut Up with all the "Team Values" Crap Already
- Lukas speaks
- LV officially screwed Oregon over
Weekend Pro Action
- Shalane Flanagan Runs 70:49 At Rock N Roll San Antonio As Drug Cheat Liza Hunter-Galvan Wins Marathon In 2:46:55 We hate to use the word "wins" in these glorified exhibitions. For example, in the men's half, Simon Bairu, Brent Vaughn and Tim Nelson all ran the same time (65:25). *Photo Of Liza Hunter-Galvan *MB: San Antonio Half
- Flanagan Talks About Her Training Pre-Race
- Imane Merga & Linet Masai Win In Madrid As IAAF XC Season Gets Underway The reigning World XC champ didn't secure the win until the very end, whereas Masai dominated by 22 seconds.
- Matthew Kisorio's Younger Brother Wins 2nd-Straight Kenyan XC Meet Nicholas Togom is the new prodigy. Stars Joseph Ebuya (11th) and Mercy Cherono (10th) struggled.
- SunTrust Richmond Marathon: Kennedy Kemei Wins $5,500 Thanks To 2:13:45
- Tegla Loroupe Peace Race Recap 27:14 won the men's race.
- Morocco's Ennaji El Idrissi Wins Turin In 2:08:13 The Ukraine's Yuliya Ruban won the women's in 2:27:10.
- Moroccan Wins Athens Marathon In 2:11 As Ethiopian Wins Women's In 2:35 It's one of the most difficult courses in the world.
NCAA Regionals Were Saturday
Big-Time Traditional Powers Stay Home - Arkansas & Oregon Plus William & Mary Are Left Home On The Men's Side - The Providence Women Stay Home For 37 years in a row, you could count on the Arkansas men making NCAAs. Not anymore, as they stay home for the first time since 1973. The Providence women, who were ranked #5 in the country without even running
at full strength in most meets, aren't going for the
first time since 1988,
the William & Mary men since 1996. And because Lukas Verzbicas quit on Oregon, the Ducks aren't going on the men's side for the first time since year two of the Vin Lananna era.
MB: *LV officially screwed Oregon over
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
Beautiful People (NCAA XC Banquet Photos)
NCAA XC Is Here
LRC NCAA XC Prediction Contest Powered By Puma Our world-famous NCAA Prediction Contests are back. Tell us who will win in Terre Haute and you could win some cool Puma gear or $200,010 if you have a perfect ballot.
Who Wins NCAAs? (Vote In Our Contest Here)
Who Wins NCAAs?
Cross-Country For The "Geekiest" And "Nerdiest" (Discuss Here)
LRC Catching Up With Olympian Michael Stember:
Olympian Stember On Dunking A Basketball, Nerds Running Cross-Country, And Trying To Break 18 Minutes For 5k We know it drives a few people nuts when we call one of our own interviews a MUST read, but we are quite proud of this one. Stember talks about everything - from wondering if he really should have been an 800-meter runner, to having figured out the inner-city school problem, to solving the energy crisis and much more. Along the way he admits he once ran a 4-minute mile after months of drinking and only 3 weeks of running, admits to Gallowalking during his current training and says he has secured a rabbit to pace him to a sub-18 5k so he can win his bet on CharityBets.
Random US Stuff
*Q&A With New Team USA, Arizona Steepler Shayla Houlihan
*Part 3 Of Lauren Fleshman's NYC Marathon Blog link fixed Going into the last 5k: "My tonail is hanging by a thread. My quads, hips and butt muscles are hardly even firing and I feel like a sloppy puppet on strings being dragged up and over the hills by a 3 year old child."
*Good Profile On Former All-American, 56-Year-Old David Walters He placed in the top 3 for his age group in the Boston, Chicago and NYC marathons with two 2:52s and a 2:47. Ran 2:19 to qualify for the OTs back in 1988.
*NY Times Writer Talks About His Favorite "Fitness Apps"
*London Taxpayers Facing $365 Million Olympic Black Hole
*Carl Lewis Backs BOA's Olympic Ban Policy
*BOA Wants To Defend Olympic Ban In Court; Say Won't Change Rule Without Court Order
*We Agree: Pistorius Is A Friend But He Shouldn't Run At The Olympics, Says Michael Johnson "I think that Oscar is an incredible person and an incredible athlete and it's an inspirational story. But that doesn't make it right."
*Michael Johnson Warns Of Home "Disadvantage" For UK Athletes At 2012 Olympics "There are more potential disadvantages than there are advantages at a home Olympics."
*NY Times Starts Analyzing The Analysis Of 2012 Medal Counts
NYC Men's Photo Gallery
NYC Women's Photo Gallery
Meb Talks About His PR And Answers The Question Whether He Actually Runs In Skechers (More Here)
Ritz On The Marathon Trials, His Training And The 10k (More Here)
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Wilson Kipsang's Near Miss, US Men's Marathoners Vs. Frankfurt, Mark Wetmore And CU At PAC-12s And The Wisconsin Men At Big 10s We take at look at Wilson Kipsang's near world record run in Frankfurt, discuss how the entire history of US men's marathoning was eclipsed in Frankfurt and then turn to a discussion of NCAA XC action.
Wilson Kipsang Just Misses World Record (And Coolest Finish Of A Marathon We've Seen)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top