Week That Was
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Amazes Again, Adam Goucher Retires, & Lukas Verzbicas Calls It Quits We go behind the scenes to take a look at the last two weeks in the running world, which included the NYC Marathon, Adam Goucher's retirement, and Lukas Verzbicas leaving Oregon mid-season. Plus we take a look at the Phil Hersh-Ryan Hall spat and compare Hall to Tim Tebow.
- Phil Hersh Says Wejo & LRC Are Right - Toni Reavis & David Monti Got It Wrong - Lukas V Must Be A US Citizen To Go To The Olympics For US
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack Laughs At Bribery Investigation He says the big money he got in 1993 was because he needed help as his house had been burned down with his family inside.
- Athletics Kenya Head Slams IAAF Over Cheruiyot AOY Gala Snub - Says She Can't Be Blamed For Lack of Online Votes As Africa Is Way Behind On Internet Usage "This is not a beauty pageant where the one with the best looks gets to win. Neither should they use online voting as a reason since it is quite clear that Africans are not on the same level in the usage of the internet. The selection needs to be changed." *Another Article Where Kiplagat Gets Mad
- Lord Moynihan, The Chairman Of The British Olympic Association, Says Brits Have Right To Have Stiffer Drug Bans "The system put in place by WADA has failed to catch the major drug cheats of our time. The likes of Marion Jones, many cyclists and the BALCO operation are only a few of those who have been tracked down and prosecuted, not by WADA but by the law enforcement officers. So now is a time for change. Now is a time for informed review."
- More Lord Moynihan "We now have a situation where drugs cheats will be able to compete in London 2012," Moynihan said. "We must decide: is the outcome we want a watered-down, increasingly toothless gesture towards zero tolerance?"
- The Guardian Asks What Makes Sprinters & Usain Bolt Great And Declares "It's hard to imagine a white sprinter climbing on top of the Olympic 100m podium." The article quotes great coach Dan Pfaff asking the following question. "When he gets to 50m there's not usually a lot of traffic around him, so it would be interesting to see if he got to 50m, 70m, even 80m and three guys were still with him. Would he run a crazy time or would he fold?"
- Michael Johnson Says Bolt Could Be 400m WR Holder But Thinks His 100 And 200 Will Struggle If He Trains For 400 We disagree with this statement. "But he can't just step onto the track and run a 44 or a 43-second split just off 100 and 200m training." We guess he forgot about the 43.58 that Bolt ran back in 2010.
- Yohan Blake Says Winning Medals, Not Beating Training Partner Usain Bolt Is Focus The article also states that Bolt admits Blake's work ethic is way bigger than his. In fact, Blake was late for the IAAF awards show as he was working out.
- Carl Lewis Creates Controversy Yet Again
Carl Lewis Says London Is Great, But ... "London of course is a great destination for the '17 Worlds but, as usual, we knew it was a backroom deal."
- Allyson Felix To Run At MFKAM (Meet Formerly Known As Millrose)
- Swedish Beauty Carolina Kluft Says She May Not Retire After 2012 After All
Olympic Marathon Trials 60 Days From Today
Meb Says Of Olympic Trials Competitors: "They Better Be Nervous."
Cool Video Board: Race Ryan Hall At NYC Subway Stop We saw this on RunnersWorld but Gizmodo and Reddit have picked it up and the YouTube video has over 200,000 views.
Alan Webb Still With Nike
Look Out, Nike: Kenyan Brand Kourage Launched Of course Nike and Kourage both don't have a chance since Puma has partnered with little LetsRun.com for the LRC Puma Faas Challenge.
Post-IAAF Athlete Of The Year Awards Gala News
- Bolt Says He Wants 4 Golds In London - That Means He'll Do The 4 X 400
- Now That London Has 2017 Worlds, Usain Bolt May Delay Retirement Until 2017 Originally, he said he'd retire in 2016. He'll be 31 in 2017. King Carl won gold in Atlanta at age 35. We think Bolt should be guilted into competing through 2020.
- Kenyan Press Asks: Was Vivian Cheruiyot Cheated Out Of World Athlete Of Year Award? It's easy to say "yes" as Cheruiyot won three world titles, but Pearson had an almost undefeated season.
- Sally Pearson Nearly Missed IAAF Awards Galas As She Went To The Gala In Her Hotel Only To Realize It Was A Police Function , Not Awars Ceremony The IAAF gala was down the road.
- Bolt Surprised He Won $100,000 Award - Says He May Lavishly Spend It On Himself
- David Rudisha Says Discipline Is Key To Staying On Top "It's always tough for a champion to maintain your position when you're on top. But the most important thing is to be disciplined. It's important to keep in mind that what I have done has already passed. What is important is what will come tomorrow."
- Q & A With Kim Smith, Who Admits She Doesn't Love Marathons
- Royal Mint To Produce Commemorative £5 Coins For London 2012
- If Only Jimmy Carter Had Been This Smart: Good News: Despite Suspension From Arab League, Syria Will Compete In December's Arab Games "We never mix up politics with sport, so they are most welcome to come to Doha."
- Denmark Gets Rid Of Rule That Prohibited Former Dopers From Competing At Olympics - Pressure Now Turns To Britain
- 1st Major Sporting Event Since Nuclear Disaster Was Held In Fukushima Over The Weekend - East Japan Women's Ekiden
- Marathon World Record Holder Patrick Makau Says Toughest Part Of Being Poor Was Going To Bed Hungry
Usain Bolt And Sally Pearson Are Surprising 2011 IAAF Athletes Of The Year And $100,000 Richer Vivian Cheruiyot won just about everything she ran but it wasn't enough. Yohan Blake was pretty damn good but journalists must
had trouble giving it to a guy they
figured would lose if he raced Bolt.
On The Boards: BOLT did NOT deserve to win IAAF-AOY
We're Glad He's Alive
Personal Crisis Likely Led To Disappearance Of UAA Star Runner He went missing in near 0 degree temperatures for 2 days and was found with frostbite.
Three Cheers To London And Qatar
London To Host 2017 Worlds And Qatar Made Sure They Paid A Ton To Do It More money for the sport is a good thing, although we think the British taxpayers could be on the hook if things don't go as planned. London, however, says it will sell $1 Billion in Sponsorship.
*Doha Got London To Guarantee £4.5 Million More At Last Second
*Although Qatar Lost London 2017, It May Get 2020 Olympics And has the 2022 World Cup.
*Denise Lewis On Seb Coe: "Lord Coe's speech made the hairs on my neck stand up."
*Australia's Gold Coast Gets 2018 Commonwealth Games
Bureaucratic News - Radcliffe's Record Stands
- IAAF: Paula Radcliffe's World Record Will Stand But So Will No Pacemaking Rule Meanwhile, the IAAF will do nothing to all of the doped world records. *AP Article On IAAF Rule
- USATF Paid Doug Logan $1.095 Million In Legal Settlement
- Phil Hersh Gets Something Right: London, Not Sexist Doha, Should Get 2017 Bid Meanwhile, some wonder if Hersh's anti-Hall rants are related to Hall's faith.
- A Look At Where The Various Will Be Training In Britain Pre 2012 The US will be in Birmingham.
- NYC Marathon App Fails To Work As Promised & App Maker Says Too Many People Were Using It The app users now know how we feel when we try to watch most races online.
Big Drug News
- Will He Spill The Beans? Steve Mullings Skips Drug Hearing As He Fears For His Life In Jamaica *Pre-Hearing: Official Refuse To Re-Test His "B" Sample
- Pan AM LJ Gold Medallist Tests Positive Venezuelan LJer Victor Castillo tested positive for methylhexaneamine, which is found in energy drinks. Sympathy? Not so much. A 2-time offender - he may be banned for life.
- More Sprint News: All Of MVP Track Club Medallists, Including Asafa Powell Have Started Training For London 2012
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
NYC On The Boards:
- Official New York Marathon Thread
- If That Wasn't The Greatest Marathon Ever Run, What Was
- How fast has New York M to be comparable to 2"03'38 ?
- How Bout Some Props to Meb Keflezighi
- NYC Mens preview - Brojos giving too much credit to Geoffrey Mutai
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
College XC News - 2 Great Articles
- Aspiring College Journalists, Read This Well-Written Article AZ Student Newspaper Profiles The Amazing Lawi Lalang, Who Gets Tons Of Praise From Coach Li Li, who knows a thing or two about Kenyan phenoms, as he coaches Bernard Lagat, says Lalang is truly special: "I have not seen someone in college running as well as he is and I've had a lot of Olympic-level athletes over the years. He's very exceptional, this one is for real."
- Indy Star: IU Men Ran Boldly In Trying To Beat Wisco - Hoping They Would They Crack - But In The End, The Hoosiers Cracked "I wish we could be the Big Ten champions," Helmer said. "I think we could have won all but one other conference championship in the country this weekend." The Hoosiers placed seven runners ahead of Wisconsin's sixth man. If scoring had been for seven instead of five, the Badgers' margin would have been 100-120. "They're not intimidating. They're just good," IU grad student Adrien Dannemiller said. "They're ranked No. 1 in the country for a reason."
SEC: Arkansas Men, Vanderbilt Women Win SECs Easily Eric Fernandez and Kristen Gillespie of Arkansas got the individual crowns.
Big 10s: Ignore The Rankings, We Have A Favorite For NCAAs Wisconsin Men Win 13th-Straight Big 10 Title In Dominant Fashion The Badgers made a mockery of the rest of the Big 10 by scoring 17 points vs. a talented Indiana team. *Results *MB: Big 10 Talk
*Michigan State Women Repeat In 3rd Closest Big 10 Meet In History 55 to 61 over Michigan. *Women's Results
PAC-12s: Wetmore Works His Magic As Colorado Sweeps *Results The PAC-12 is the new super XC conference. The CU men edged Stanford, and the women, who were only picked 4th coming in in the latest LRC polls (and 6th in the national coaches polls), pulled the upset.
*Colorado AD Is Particularly Thrilled As Colorado Had Won One Game In All Sports In PAC-12 Until The XC Titles "Just what the doctor ordered," according to the AD.
*Wetmore Gives His Teams A Grades For Their Showing - Refuses To Give Out A+ Since Colorado Isn't In The Ivy League & Doesn't Practice Grade Inflation "I would give it an A and an A and that's as high as I get. This isn't Harvard," Wetmore said.
*Katie Flood Surprise Winner At PAC-12s
*Stanford's Jason Dunn Disappointed A 5th Man Didn't Step Up
*Lananna On His Young Squad: "I thought the guys did a pretty good job."
On The Boards: PAC-12 Update Thread *Craig Lutz > Lukas Verzbicas *Bad day for Hasay?
Big 12s: German Fernandez And Oklahoma State Win Men's Crowns Iowa State Wins Womens
On The Boards: GERMAN FTMFW
Heps: Princeton Men, Cornell Women Win In The Snow! Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith for his first conference title. And if you want to see what can be done in terms of conference coverage with almost no budget, check out this link. *Heps XC On The Boards
Big East: Villanova Men Win Convincingly, Women Edge Providence (Results)
*Marcus O'Sullivan Impressed By Men's Win: "We had an unbeatable effort today."
ACC: Florida State Women Dominate, NC State Men Edge FSU Kendra Schaaf dominated on the women's side as Ryan Hill won on the men's. *ACCs On The Boards *Kendra Schaaf is back!
West Coast Conference: Portland Pilots Amazing 32-Year Conference Win Streak Is Snapped In Year 1 Of Legit Competition - BYU 25, Portland 32 More NCAA On The Boards: BYU vs. Portland Portland's 32-year conference XC streak came to an end.
Former Wisconsin Runner Ryan Craven Thinks Mick Byrne's Relaxed Approach Is Ideal For NCAAs The former Badger who ran for both Mick Byrne and Jerry Schumacher has written an article that has caused the message board to explode as he compares the styles of the two coaching icons and comes to the conclusion that he thinks the more relaxed Byrne style is better for NCAAs. A few
former Badgers, including Simon Bairu and Chris Solinsky, have come to Schumacher's defense and all hell has broken loose. LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson tried to calm everyone down by chiming in with a post saying different things work for different teams and situations.
*MB: *Simon Bairu Blasts Ryan Craven *Lost all respect for BAIRU and SOLINSKY
Villanova Alums Trying To Get Former World Record Holder Sydney Maree Out Of South African Prison Last month's Philadelphia Inquirer feature on Maree has motivated some people to try to help. It appears he may be sleeping on the floor due to
From October: Sydney Maree: Villanova's Fallen Hero
Nick Symmonds Talks About His Leading Of The "Occupy USATF Movement" We feel Symmonds and the athletes' pain but don't think the lack of advertising space on a singlet is the key reason why athletes don't have big endorsements. Sports stars get endorsements and most runners aren't stars. Buick was never on Tiger Woods' jersey, McDonald's never on Lebron's.
Elite Field For Fukuoka Marathon Is Released - Includes Zero Invited Ethiopians or Kenyans The field does feature Alistair Cragg and Andrew Lemoncello and a few Japanese-based Kenyans including Japanese 10,000 all-comers record holder Josphat Ndambiri, who smoked world champ Jeilan on Nov. 3rd.
*RRW Release With Full List Of Names And PRs
More Marathon News: Meet "The Other" Hansons-Brooks Female Runner - 34-Year-Old Dot McMahan The mom deserves some props as she's run 2:31.
We 100% Agree: NYTimes: Complicated Training Plans, Focus On Foot-Strike Often Turn Off Beginning Runners - For Beginning Runners, Advice Can Be a Hurdle As one man said, "(Training plans) are so complicated.I thought, 'Oh my God, it's just running.'"
Heather (Dorniden) Kampf Talks About The Most Amazing Race Ever Put On Youtube, Pan Ams And More If you are having a bad day and think you can't accomplish something, please watch this video.
College XC/Track News
*42 Years Ago From Tuesday, Lindgren Edged Pre At PAC-6s
*(Boston) Marathon Monday Ranked One Of Best College Traditions At Boston University Day drinking is a plus for most people, including this student. "Definitely, the wildest and most out-of-control moments in my college life have been Marathon Monday and Halloween. I mean on Marathon Monday you have the day-drinking, and it's spring time so kids are kind of going a little nuts because it's finally warm in Boston."
*An Incredible Hire: Allen Johnson Hired As Air Force Assistant We wouldn't have even made him interview.
*Maryland Track Alums Vent To Washington Times About Possibly Losing Program
Panel Calls For Cutting 8 Sports At Univ. Of Maryland, Including XC & Track
Says something about our sport when Maryland's head coach Andrew Valmon is the 2012 US Olympic Head Coach. Renaldo Nehemiah went to Maryland and they won every ACC title from 1956-1979. Now they'll be the only ACC program without a track team. Maybe Under Armour can help save them. *Message Board Thread To Try To Do Something
More Verzbicas (From A Triathlon Perspective)
Slowtwitch (Triathlon Website) Takes A Look At How Lukas' Stepdad Ended Up Being His College Coach Now And Finds It Kosher
At Least We Agree: Posters On Slowtwitch Forum Criticizes Lukas For Leaving Oregon In Middle Of Season
Lukas On The Boards:
- Any U of O people want to speak their mind about Lukas?
- Shut Up with all the "Team Values" Crap Already
- Lukas speaks
- LV officially screwed Oregon over
Random Distance News
- Jordan Hasay On Regionals: "I never defend stuff, so it's good for me to do that."
- 9-Year-Old Wins 5k In Florida
- Tim Broe's And Jenelle Deatherage's High School Coach Retires
- Heather (Dorniden) Kampf Talks About Pan Am Games And Her YouTube 600m Comeback If you've never seen the video, it's a must-watch.
- Got Runner's Knee? These Exercises Should Help You
NCAA Regionals (Top 2 In Each Region Automatically Make NCAAs) *College Forum *Results Here (& Below)
It's Official: Oregon, Arkansas & W&M Men Stay Home, As Do Providence Women
2011 DI NCAA Cross-Country Qualifiers Announced The Oregon and Arkansas men will have one runner at NCAAs, but that's better than the Providence women and W&Mary men, who will have no one at NCAAs. *DIII Qualifiers *MB: "Official" NCAA At Large Thread
*Two Weeks Ago: Arkansas' Head Man Bucknam Gets Extension Through 2015-16
*Chad Hall Taking Ryan Hall's Advice & Enjoying His Senior Season "(Ryan's) encouraged me throughout all my seasons, but especially this one. Kind of just, 'Get out and enjoy it. Do your best and leave the outcomes up to God.' We've both dealt with disappointments and stuff. His message to me is about having disappointments and coming back and doing well."
*Getting Hammered On Running Blogs, Lukas Verzbicas Seeks Comfort By Doing Q&A With Triathlon Blog Not surprisingly, not a single question as to how his ex-Oregon teammates feel about his decision, which resulted in them sitting at home. *MB: Lukas speaks
Weekend Pro Action
- Shalane Flanagan Runs 70:49 At Rock N Roll San Antonio As Drug Cheat Liza Hunter-Galvan Wins Marathon In 2:46:55 We hate to use the word "wins" in these glorified exhibitions. For example, in the men's half, Simon Bairu, Brent Vaughn and Tim Nelson all ran the same time (65:25). *Photo Of Liza Hunter-Galvan *MB: San Antonio Half
- Flanagan Talks About Her Training Pre-Race
- Imane Merga & Linet Masai Win In Madrid As IAAF XC Season Gets Underway The reigning World XC champ didn't secure the win until the very end, whereas Masai dominated by 22 seconds.
- Matthew Kisorio's Younger Brother Wins 2nd-Straight Kenyan XC Meet Nicholas Togom is the new prodigy. Stars Joseph Ebuya (11th) and Mercy Cherono (10th) struggled.
- SunTrust Richmond Marathon: Kennedy Kemei Wins $5,500 Thanks To 2:13:45
- Tegla Loroupe Peace Race Recap 27:14 won the men's race.
- Morocco's Ennaji El Idrissi Wins Turin In 2:08:13 The Ukraine's Yuliya Ruban won the women's in 2:27:10.
- Moroccan Wins Athens Marathon In 2:11 As Ethiopian Wins Women's In 2:35 It's one of the most difficult courses in the world.
NCAA Regionals Were Saturday
Big-Time Traditional Powers Stay Home - Arkansas & Oregon Plus William & Mary Are Left Home On The Men's Side - The Providence Women Stay Home For 37 years in a row, you could count on the Arkansas men making NCAAs. Not anymore, as they stay home for the first time since 1973. The Providence women, who were ranked #5 in the country without even running
at full strength in most meets, aren't going for the
first time since 1988,
the William & Mary men since 1996. And because Lukas Verzbicas quit on Oregon, the Ducks aren't going on the men's side for the first time since year two of the Vin Lananna era.
MB: *LV officially screwed Oregon over
West: Men: Stanford Edges Portland, Oregon 6th, Lawi Lalang Wins Women: Washington, Jordan Hasay Win
Discuss: XC West Regional results *Can Lawi Lalang be stopped? *LV officially screwed Oregon over
Distance Triathlon News
Phil Hersh Talks To Lukas Verzbicas After He Quits On Oregon 3/4 Of The Way Through The Season Lukas' stepfather (a triathlon coach) reportedly wanted him to stay longer at Oregon. If this is Lukas' decision, then he deserves to be treated as an adult and criticized for quitting on his teammates.
- Oregon Men A Big Underdog At Regionals, Women Close To Doing Something Special
- Lisa Koll Uhl Is Now Married, Back Racing Again, And Admits She Wasn't Sure About Kara Goucher Joining Her Group Now she's encouraged by it. And in case you didn't know, Adam Goucher retired this week. For inspiring half a generation of distance runners, it seems like he deserves more coverage.
- Simon Bairu To Try To Get Canadian Olympic Standard (Sub-2:11:59) At Houston Marathon
- USATF Profile On Molly Pritz Running Times did one yesterday.
- Wejo Was Right - Deadspin's Report Was Wrong - Usain Bolt Has Zero Contact With Doper Angel Hernandez Usain Bolt's agent Ricky Simms has no idea how Bolt got associated with Hernandez. "I have no idea why Usain's name was brought up. Usain has no connection with any of these people. Nobody from Team Bolt has any connection or knows any of these people." Fortunately for the sport, LetsRun.com co-founder Weldon Johnson realized Bolt is so good that boxing trainers were referring to sprinters in general as Usain Bolt.
- Angel "Memo" Heredia Files Defamation Suit Against Victor Conte
- Crazy: Floyd Landis Gets Convicted Of Hacking Into French Doping Lab's Computer How he knew how to do that is beyond us.
- Steve Mullings' Lawyers Challenge Integrity Of Sample
- Portugese European Bronze Medallist Sara Moreira Says Tests Vindicate Her From Positive Doping Test At WCs Nope. It just shows the supplement she was taking included banned substances. She's still responsible for taking the supplement.
- Runner With MS Finishes NYC Marathon In 31 Hours The 23rd year she has finished on crutches. Remarkable.
- Remarkable: NY 3rd Placer Kebede: "I only got one month's training" After Suffering Foot Injury Kebede certainly is a talent and the foot problem apparently is what explains his subpar London.
- After Getting Kicked Out of Hansons-Brooks, Molly Pritz Wanted To Quit The Sport - Now She's The Top American At NY Dating between team members was a no-no, so she was forced to leave.
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
Great News: Missing Alaska Anchorage Runner Found Alive 2.5 Days Later Marko Cheseto went missing at 7 pm on Sunday morning and was found at 3
am Wednesday with big time frostbite. No one is really sure what happened and he may lose his feet, but the great news is he's alive.
*MSBNC: Not Wearing Hat Or Gloves, Shoes Were Frozen To His Feet & All He Could Say Was "911" The report also says he was upset about his teammates' suicide but has near a 4.0 GPA.
*Student Newspaper *Coverage From Britain
Previous: Kenyan Athlete Feared Dead In Alaska
NYC Coverage Continues *Video Highlights
- Recommended Read: Track & Field Superfan: "Five Things We Learned In New York" "This year, however, we've really seen what you can get out of a lack of pacemakers: interesting races. All the races on pancake-flat courses that use a 'flying V of pacesetters' end up being solo efforts against the clock. Great headlines, boring viewing. ... Competition, joy, pain, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. An outcome not determined until the very end. The reasons we compete and the reasons we watch competition. You can't have these with pacemakers."
- With Nothing To Prove, Meb Keflezighi Still Affirming His Greatness Meb says he doesn't like to "Tweet" about his training, but he has a training log that goes back to 1993.
- "Kenyan Athletes Rule The Roost In Big City Marathons" Kenyans have won 83 out of the 100 marathons this year and hold the top 24 positions in the world marathon rankings. Paul Tergat: "My fear is that Kenyans may be restricted in future marathon races as we have seen in the past."
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Trying To Inspire The Next Generation
Monday's Quote Of The Day: "Who did I beat? I beat the demons within me." - Billy Mills in a Washington Post profile. Good read.
Gary Reed Hopes To Bring Track Back To Life "I don't know that a lot of people want to admit that, but I know it's dying. The next generation is really struggling. The numbers from junior to senior are falling off like crazy and I, as someone who got my whole life from track, would love to leave the sport better off than what I found it."
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
Time is Running Out First 50 in the LetsRun.com Puma Challenge to be welected this week. Want a free pair of Puma Faas shoes. Tell us why your worthy of the challenge.
NYC Men's Photo Gallery
NYC Women's Photo Gallery
NYC Marathon Men's Highlights
NYC Women's Highlights
Meb Talks About His PR And Answers The Question Whether He Actually Runs In Skechers (More Here)
Ritz On The Marathon Trials, His Training And The 10k (More Here)
Friday's NYRR Live Show: Elite Men - G. Gebremariam Sounds Confident
LRC NCAA Polls Open
LetsRun.com NCAA National And Regional Polls Open Tell us who the top 10 teams are in the country and who the will make nationals in each region.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Wilson Kipsang's Near Miss, US Men's Marathoners Vs. Frankfurt, Mark Wetmore And CU At PAC-12s And The Wisconsin Men At Big 10s We take at look at Wilson Kipsang's near world record run in Frankfurt, discuss how the entire history of US men's marathoning was eclipsed in Frankfurt and then turn to a discussion of NCAA XC action.
Wilson Kipsang Just Misses World Record (And Coolest Finish Of A Marathon We've Seen)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top