Boston Marathon Registration To Open On Monday
Three Recommended Reads
- RR #1 We Remember 25 Years (And 3 Days) Ago, Mark Nenow Set The American Record Over 25 Laps (10,000) The record lasted almost 15 years until Meb broke it in 2001 by running 27:13.
- RR #2 Exhausted Allyson Felix Says 100m Isn't Out Of The Equation For 2012 Philip Hersh's column is a good one and perfect example of why he's one of the few track writers left. The points in the article make sense but we have a Memo To The World: Felix's chances for 400m gold are way better than 200m or 100m.
- RR #3 Asafa Powell's Handlers Deserve Lots Of Blame For Powell Being Vilified As Villain We 100% agree that Powell shouldn't have been talking big if he was injured.
Random But Interesting
*Dai Greene Is Stunned By People's Reaction To His Gold - Seb Coe Asked For His Autograph
*Judge Kicks King Carl (Lewis) Of NJ Ballot He says that just because he's famous doesn't mean he doesn't have to follow the rules.
*"Marathon Mom" Jenny Finch Now Has Big Goal Of Beating Armani Toomer's Time (4:13) At ING New York City Marathon The guys at photo run will certainly be happy to take her photo.
*After Promising To Win Gold In 2012, Abel Kirui Gets His Wish - 3-Rank Promotion In Police Force
*282,824 Apply For 2012 Tokyo Marathon
*Runners Tribe Guy Asks If Good Racing Tactics Can Be Taught "Running from the front requires more energy. But then again, so does catching up to the leader." We're not sure why the article is full of praise for Bernard Lagat's tactics. One could easily argue tactics cost him gold in Daegu.
More Post-Worlds News
- Kenyan Coach Critical Of 10,000 And 5,000 Performances He blames lack of finishing speed and doing too many road races.
- Extended Article On The Career Of Matt Centrowitz, From High School To World Champs Bronze Medallist "This whole year's been about having fun. I can't think of one race where I put so much pressure on myself. I knew if I was dead last I'd still be 12th in the world. That's not so bad."
- Jenny Simpson Blogs About The Last 18 Months Leading Up To Winning Gold At WCs
- Doc Patton Writes An Emotionally-Charged Blog About DNFing In The 4 X 1 At World Champs
- Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Apologize For Clowning Around During Medal Ceremony/National Anthem
- Seb Coe Calls Bolt "Muhammad Ali Of Athletics"
- 3-Time 800m World Champ Maria Mutola Says She Thinks Caster Semenya Will Break The WR Sometime In The Near Future
After Being Asked If He's An "Inconvenient Embarrassment" For T&F, Oscar Pistorious Cuts Short A BBC Radio Interview We don't know how anyone could call him an embarrassment. We'd call him an inconvenient inspiration.
*LRC MB: Pistorius "inconvenient embarrassment" Pissed at BBC
Post-World Championships Distance News
- Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah Isn't As Fast As Galen Rupp - Plans To Have Mo Run 800s And 1,500s Next Year To Work On Kick That Will Give Him Double Gold
- Salazar Praises Farah & Rupp - On Rupp: "He was going for it, and he's not scared. He's young and I'm just going to get him a little stronger."
- Centro: "When I found myself in medal range, I just kept digging down." Now it's time for Centro Nation to party.
- Nick Willis Is Confused As To Why He Didn't Have His Patented Kick At Worlds He needs to figure out what happened in the semifinal. When you get pulled out on a stretch, the odds of you recovering two days later are next to nil.
- Be Thankful You Don't Live In Uganda Moses Kipsiro's Preparations For Daegu Were Hampered By Illness And Threats On His Life The 12:50 performer apparently also has had some Olympic funding stripped for some unknown reason.
- After Meeting Medal Goal, Greedy Brits Wishing They Also Got 10,000 And 1,500 Gold
- Women's 800 World Champ Suffered From Food Poisoning 5 Days Prior To Leaving For Daegu
- After Winning 2nd World Title, Abek Kirui Immediately Starts Dreaming Of ... A Promotion In The Kenyan Army He deserves it for going to Worlds.
- Kenyan President Is Pleased By Record Haul Of Medals
- Japanese Men's Marathoners Post-Race Quotes After Winning Team Bronze Medal A 7th, 10th and 18th somehow was good enough for 3rd as some other countries screwed up.
- Kenya's "Best-Team Ever" Gets Ready To Return Home To Big Celebration
Post-World Championships Non-Distance News
*AP Column: Is Usain Bolt trying hard enough?
*Phil Hersh Eats Crow: Before Worlds, He Presented A Doomsday Scenario Of Zero US Men's Golds, But The US Men's Rose Up And Won Six
*Dwight Phillips Tells NY Times That He Thinks Sport's Past Doping Scandals Have Stopped People From Recognizing His Golden Brilliance
*Laughable: Kenyan Coach Tells World To Watch Out As They'll Also Have Sprinters In London
*Chinese Enjoy Best Ever Worlds But Coach Refuses To Predict Similar Success For 2012
*Seb Coe's 7 To Watch For 2012 Dwight Phillips is the only American on the list.
*Team GB Mascot Revealed For 2012 - Meet "Pride" The Lion
*Facebook To Look At Data And Tell Companies Whether Olympic Sponsorhips Or Not
In Case You Missed It IAAF Head: "No Chance" The False-Start Rule Changes The rule was the personal pet project of the IAAF head and will stay thankfully.
2011 Worlds End With A Bang!
*Final Results *LRC Interviews From Daegu *LRC Photos From Daegu
LRC Men's 5,000 Gets Physical: Farah Wins But Lagat Says He Had It Deserving champ Mo Farah goes home with 5,000m gold, but were it not for a now-DQed Imane Merga getting physical with 3 top contenders in the span of 300m, including prime rival Bernard Lagat, Farah may have returned to Oregon with 2 narrow losses. We've got the story of the most controversial distance event at Worlds.
800 Final: Semenya Goes Down Caster Semenya goes home with silver as Russian Mariya Savinova ran 1:55 to shock the huge favorite and herself to take home the gold, with Alysia Montano just missing out in 4th. Semenya, who was permitted to skip the press conference amid the 2009 controversy in Berlin, did a great job talking to the media in her first Worlds press conference.
*After 6th Place Finish In 800, Maggie Vessey Says She's Disappointed She concedes that having to run multiple fast 800s to make the final took a lot out of her.
Sunday AM: 2011 World Championships Marathon: Abel Kirui X 2 Kirui destroyed the field the second half to get his second world title. Despite being 2009 World Champ, Kirui switched coaches this year to LRC message board favorite Renato Canova. Kirui gave Canova a call after the race. The American men struggled.
Saturday: LRC Bolt Back - 19.40 ... Lemaitre Medals - 19.80 ... Vlasic, Thor, Dix - Silver ... We recap the non-distance action from the penultimate day in Daegu, including Sally Pearson's phenomenal 12.28 in the 100m hurdles, a super-fast 200m final, and more posing from high jump 2nd-placer Blanka Vlasic.
*"The Fierce White Girl" Sally Pearson Sets CR
More Saturday: Long Hair Costs Belarus Long Jumper A Medal And Up To $45,000
*Plastic Brit Tiffany Porter Fails To Medal In 100m Hurdles, Gets 4th
Good News: IAAF Reaches Target Of Blood Sampling Every Accredited Athlete In Daegu
*Russia's Anna Chicherova Wins Women's HJ
*Germany's Matthias De Zordo Upsets Norway's 2-Time Olympic Champ Andreas Thorkildsen To Win Javelin
*LRC Day 7 Non-Distance: Dwight Phillips Gets Gold #5, US 4 X 400 Kicks By S. Africa, VCB Over Jeter And Felix, US Shotputters Shut Out The quotes, the interviews, the results ... plus the cover jinx barely survives, why Pistorius didn't run for South Africa's medal-winning 4 x 4, and more.
On The Boards: LaShawn Merrit kicks home for gold like a boss
*Dwight Phillips wins his 4th WC LJ - Bib #1111
*Carmalita Jeter! UGH
Top Friday Coverage From Around The Globe
- Caster Semenya Is Back And May Be Saving Best For Final Good read from the Guardian.
- Michael Johnson Says Oscar Pistorius Should Have Run Independent One possibility is S. Africa left him off the final because they got his split wrong.
- Pistorius Left Off 4 X 400 Team Because Of Inaccurate Splits?
- Men's 200 - Lemaitre fastest, Bolt easiest Reuters
- Pistorius "Guttered" At 4 X 4 Snub Blade Runner grateful for semifinal appearance, 4 x 4 national record and now a silver medal.
- NYTimes Recap Of Friday's Action
LRC Day 6 Jenny Gets Gold Jenny Simpson powered home the final 100m to stun the world Thursday night to end America's 28-year drought of distance gold. Her run was unexpected, but in retrospect not totally shocking, as the American phenom showed in 2009 she can run with the world's best when fit and healthy. And she's definitely fit and healthy now and from now on will always
Jenny Simpson ... World Champion.
*British Media Falls In Love With "Starlet" Hannah England, Who Won Silver Some great photos of her on her victory lap.
*Hannah England Makes Mentor Kelly Holmes Proud By Winning Silver
*Seb Coe Always Believed In Her As Well (But Few Others) It's a shame the British media doesn't realize how hard it is to win an NCAA title.
On The Boards: *Simpson wins 1500m - Uceny falls! *GUTTED for Morgan Uceny
LRC: 1,500 Semis: Matt Centrowitz Puts On A Clinic As He, Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat Cruise Into Finals The American champ ran like he belonged from the very start and won his heat in a race where he never left the rail and looked like a total veteran, not a 21-year-old rookie. Meanwhile, a few names like Amine Laalou, Deresse Mekonnen, Leo Manzano and Daniel Kipchirir Komen fell by the wayside. Former FSU product Ciaran O'Lionaird advanced easily as Nick Willis surprisingly struggled and sought medical treatment afterwards.
*Extereme Dehydration May Have Caused Nick Willis To Have A Hamstring Problem He was carried off on a stretcher (great pic included).
LRC In Daegu: American Glory, Evil Sorcery Jinx Rule Day 6 In Daegu World champ and new US record-setter Lashinda Demus and her mother/coach talk about how video games brought her to glory, Jesse Williams wins the first US high jump gold in 20 years and throws a barb at Dwight Stones, and the biggest news of all: The *LRC Exclusive Report* that may change betting lines around the globe - The Dastardly Daegu Daily Programme Cover Jinx. Caution: content may not be humorous to all track fans.
LRC How Rudisha's Night Was Almost Ruined David Rudisha is now safely in the record annals as a world champion, but a little-noticed collision almost cost him his shoe and the title. We've got the photo evidence to prove it and virtually unanimous WR predictions from his rivals. Also: Oscar P and RSA are set to vie for a 4 x 4 medal, while Kenya's 4 x 4 sprinters heroically made the final ahead of medal favorites Bahamas ... but will Rudisha be running in the final? We asked Kenya's top sprinter.
If Only Things Worked Like This In America - GBR, Will You Take The USA Back Please?
British Broadcaster Dumps Main Television Host Of Worlds After It Receives Hundreds Of Complaints Meanwhile, in America ...
LetsRun.com's Promotion Of Blake's Flinch Continues To Go Viral Worldwide
- Sports Illustrated Lavishes Praise On LetsRun.com And Rojo Tim Layden: "According to the smart guys at letsrun.com ..." & "I have great respect for Johnson"... but more respect for Ato Boldon ;(.
- LRC MB: Tim Layden Refers To "The Smart Guys At Letsrun.com"
- LetsRun.com & Blake Flinch Get Press In Norway's Largest Paper (translation) *Article In Norwegian
800m Final LRC David Rudisha Gets The World Title He Deserves, Nick Symmonds Comes Up Short Rudisha had been undefeated in every race since the last World Championships and on Tuesday he won the one race he hadn't won in two years - the World Championships.
American Nick Symmonds was in medal contention but came home in fifth and the American medal drought continues at 800m.
More On The Boards: Mens 800 Final
*Nick Symmonds Post-Race Comments
Roll Tide: 18-Year-Old Wunderkind Kirani James Adds World Crown To Two NCAA Titles Afterwards, he declares, "(Usain Bolt) he can't be Kirani James." Watch out or he'll move up to the 400.
*IAAF: Rivalry with Kaki inspires Rudisha to be the best
*Brit Dai Greene Might Be Poised For World 400H Title He had the 2nd fastest qualifying time for the final.
Murer Wins Pole Vault - Is She Track Newest Star? *Suhr Gets 4th
*Isinbayeva Fails To Medal As Well - Is The Latest Victim Of The IAAF Cover Curse If you show up on the cover, you are doomed.
*Robles: "Being Cuban cost me hurdles gold medal."
Multi: *Ennis Settles For Silver
*Poor Javelin Hurts Ennis Some are saying it "cost" her the title, but in reality, she'd have had to get a PR to win.
Monday: LRC Lots Of Sprint Intrigue: WR Holder Dayron Robles Goes From Gold To Zilch, Allyson Felix Upended By Botswanan, Pistorius Has Chance But Fades Good thing there was no distance action Monday night, as we wouldn't have had time to recap all the sprint/field event action. A DQ in the hurdles that gave Jason Richardson the unexpected World title, Allyson Felix got a PR but lost, and Oscar P fizzled out. Plus an unexpected medal in the shot for an American, a thrilling pole vault and, oh yeah, the 100m women's final, where HSI got its 2nd gold of the night.
More From Employee #1: *Liu Xiang Recounts Telling Dayon Robles He Was DQed
*Oscar P And Brett Favre And The Mechanical Arm
*American 400m Running At A Low Point?
*IAAF Day 3 Recap *Athletics Weekly
Bekele Pulls Out Of Men's 5,000 Jos Hermens his agent calls Daegu a "wake-up call" for Bekele, who may run in Brussels on Sept. 16.
Men's 10,000m: LRC Ibrahim Jeilan, A Guy You've Never Heard Of, Stuns The World In Men's 10,000m The men's 10,000m was a total shocker as Ibrahim Jeilan, a former World Junior champion who was passed over by the Ethiopian team on two occasions and had to go to Japan to keep his running career alive, shocked the world's best distance runner Mo Farah in a great duel over the final 100m, as Farah apparently kicked too hard, too soon. Galen Rupp was 7th and the great Kenenisa Bekele dropped out, losing his first 10,000m ever. *Post-Race Interviews With Rupp, Bekele, Tegenkamp And Bauhs
*Quick Men's 10,000m Photos
*Japanese Coach Is Pleased With Jeilan's Victory
*Talk About Honesty Farah Thought He Had It: "To tell you the truth, with 300 metres to go I thought I had the race." On the ultimate winner, "I didn't have a clue about the guy."
On The Boards: *10,000M live update thread *W(ho)TF is Ibrahim Jeilan?!?! *What happened to Tegenkamp? *Usain Bolt false start
Excellent Analysis: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800
LRC David Rudisha, Abubaker Kaki And Nick Symmonds All Advance To 800m Final Kaki did it the hard way by getting in on time, but Rudisha looked great and Symmonds put on a performance that shows he is medal worthy. The final is Tuesday.
*Post-Race Interviews With Symmonds And KD
LRC Sunday 1,500m Round 1: All 3 American Advance As Fall Shakes Up Round 1 Morgan Uceny, Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson all made the semifinal and Rowbury can thank a fall in the final 50 meters of her heat for advancing by .02 to the semi. Recap and post-race reaction from the Americans and Kiwi Niki Hamblin.
*Dobriskey Stunned As She Bombs Out
LRC Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800
LRC While Waiting For Day 2 To Start: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu Not everyone at LRC headquarters is fortunate enough to get to go to Korea and Rojo gets started by taking his anger out by ranting on the TV production. He then introduces the world to Mohamed Aman and provides proof that Ashton Eaton is a fan of Sally Kipyego.
More From LRC:
*Men's 800 Semis - Who Got The Worst Draw?
*LetsRun Nation Is Picking Galen Rupp To Finish 5th - Give Your Final Predictions Here
*Wejo: Today's Sign Of The Apocalypse: My Wife Just Emailed Me: "keep me updated on the pistorius news."
LRC Kenya's Heavenly Day 1 Ends With Perfection! Vivian Cheruiyot Leads Kenyans To 1-2-3-4 Domination Of Women's 10,000 The much-anticipated battle between the undefeated Meseret Defar and Vivian Cheruiyot never materialized as Defar fell off and then dropped out, but Cheruiyot did come through as expected. The Oregon track club's Sally Kipyego got the silver as the Kenyan women's day went from incredible to heavenly, as they followed up near perfection in the marathon with total perfection in the 10,000. The American women struggled, as Shalane Flanagan was 7th and Kara Goucher was lapped. Jen Rhines was 9th.
*LRC Video Reaction From Cheruiyot, Kipyego, Flanagan And Goucher
LRC Recap Now Up
Saturday's Action Underway: Edna Kiplagat Survives Fall, Leads Kenya To 1-2-3 Sweep In Marathon To Start Worlds Kiplagat has shot to the top of the world marathon ranks in the last two years (New York champ last year, 2:20 for 3rd in London) and she backed it up with an impressive win despite falling at a water station in the final 10km. Priscah Jeptoo was second and Sharon Cherop third. Tera Moody - just months removed from 3 surgeries - was the first American (interview here) in 17th and Kathy Newberry was 30th (interview here).
*LRC Post-Race Comments From Kiplagat *IAAF: Patience and family support key to Kiplagat's Rise
On The Boards: women's marathon play by play
Non-Distance News From Worlds
- Usain Bolt In The News: Recommended Read: Sports Illustrated Tim Layden Asks: Is Bolt a fading star or cementing his place in track and field history? We know the answer to this, as Bolt was simply sensational in his 100m heat on Saturday. LRC: No talk about bolt absolutely CRUISING his heat in 10.10 (-0.7) looking very, very good?
- The Great White Hope Lemaitre Looked Good As Well: Lemaitre Is Now 50-60% Sure He'll Medal We know one thing. He won't win if he doesn't try.
- Christine Ohuruogu Bombs Out Of 400
- Defending Olympic And World Champ Steve Hooker Bombs Out Of Pole Vault
- Something We Didn't Realize: Blood Tests In Daegu Are Voluntarily - Thankfully 75% Have Already Taken Them We 100% think the IAAF should publish the names of those that don't get their blood tested. Or we guess a fairer way to do it would be to publish the names that do do it and we'll figure out who didn't.
- Robles Relishing 110H Showdown: "One mistake and you're dead.''
- Asafa Powell's Agent Says Powell Is Upset But May Run Relay If he runs the relay, he should be ashamed of himself for not starting the individual 100m.
- Wow!!! Jeremy Dodson Cleared To Travel To Daegu After Appearing For Judge In Identity Theft Case
- Unbelievable: Nine LSU Tigers Competing At Worlds
- Leave It To The Brits To Be Down About Something Related To Sports: If Brits Win Lots of Medals In Daegu, Columnist Says It Will Be A Bad Thing
- After Another Injury Almost Knocked Her Out, Jenn Suhr Is Somehow At Worlds
- More: 400H: Van Zyl Says, "I went through a bit of a dip (in form) but I am picking it up again."
- Ridiculous: Jamaican Shot Putter Dorian Scott Can't Go To Worlds Because He Accepted Coaching Gig At San Diego State Why bother coaching NCAAs if you dont think competing at the World Championships is worth a few thousand dollars in airline change fees? Hell, San Diego St. should pay for it.
- Usain Bolt News:
*Moronic: Britain's Christian Malcolm Thinks He Can Beat Bolt At 200m
*Maurice Greene Says Usain Bolt Is Vulnerable
- Oscar P News:
*Michael Johnson Supports Oscar P, Who Will Run 1st Leg On 4 X 400
*IAAF: Oscar P Has To Run 1st Leg
Saving Yourself For Zürich II *LRC Quick Preview *Results (Meet really gets going 2 pm ET)
LRC One-Line Preview Of The 2011 Zürich Diamond League Meet It's hard to believe the Diamond League recommences on Wednesday, but there is some interesting action besides the men's 100. In the men's 1,500, Asbel Kiprop will be racing the clock, Silas Kiplagat and 800 specialists Nick Symmonds and Abubaker Kaki. In the women's 800, Morgan Uceny will look to get over her Worlds
fall, but she'll have her hands full, as she'll clash with both the world champ Mariya Savinova and Caster Semenya.
*IAAF Preview: 19 Gold, 18 Silver And 15 Bronze Medallists From Daegu Will Compete, As Will Asafa Powell Powell will pick up $40,000 for winning the Diamond League - ridiculous.
*16 Diamond League Events Conclude Thursday - 16 More Next Friday In Brussels
*Powell Talks Big At Press Conference: "I don't know what shape I'm in right now but I got a good feeling." Meanwhile, Yohan Blake reminds everyone he's the world champ.
*AfterWinning Worlds Bronze At Age 35, Kim Collins Is Exhausted ... But Only Beause He's Trying To Personally Respond To Every Congratulatory Tweet And Facebook Message
*Dylan Armstrong & Valerie Adams Win Shot Put In Train Station
*The Science Of Sport's Guys Analyze Semenya's Loss If she received hormone treatment, then how is she within a second of her Berlin time?
*Stars Serve As Coaches Of Kids Events All Over Switzerland
*Asbel Kiprop's Says Now That He's World Champion He's Sticking With 1,500 Even If He Doesn't PR Earlier in the year, he said he'd change events if he didn't PR. Now he's focused on finishing the season strong and how crazy is this - running fast early next year to make sure he's on the Kenyan Olympic team.
*LRC MB: Symmonds running 1500 at zurich diamond league
*LRC MB: Shalane Flanagan 5k in Zurich
*Asafa Powell Will Clash With Men's 100m Champ Yohan Blake On Wednesday In Zürich The former world record holder was too injured to run in Daegu, but he's not not injured enough to try to pick up a big payday on Wednesday. Not familiar with "Saving Yourself For Zürich I?" Take a look at this entry from way back in the early days of LRC - 2001.
Non-Diamond League Upcoming
- Preview Of Berlin Internationales Stadionfest This Sunday World Champ Yohan Blake vs. 4 x 1 teammate Michael Frater in the 100m, Caster Semenya vs. bronze medallist JJ Busienei of Kenya in the 800.
- Top UK Runners Jo Pavey And Mara Yamauchi To Race At Bupa Great North Run On Sept. 18th Both are coming off of injuries which kept them out of the World Championships.
- Canadian Olympic 10k Runner Eric Gillis Enjoying Training For Olympic Marathon "A" With Rivals "I will enjoy the process more, which inevitably is what it's all about, if I am training with the guys like Reid and Rob, than if I was training on my own. It's going to lead to better results down the road. It really works on a number of fronts to benefit me. I am not worried about side effects of helping them out. I am quite happy to do that."
- Sarah Palin Runs An Iowa Half Marathon In 1:46:10 Faster than Drew Carey, who ran a personal best 1:50:45 in the Disney Lane Half Marathon. *MB: Palin run Half Marathon??????????
- Book Review Of Adam Goucher's New Book, Running On The Edge
- Running Times: Michele Suszek Is A 2:38 Marathoner, Wrestler, Dancer, And Nationally-Ranked Bodybuilder
Greek Appeals Court Overturns Convictions For Former Sprint Stars Costas Kenteris And Katerina Thanou We disagree 100% with their lawyer's assessment of what this all means. Their lawyer says, "I am proud as a Greek, because the decision demonstrates that the [athletes] were totally clean." No it doesn't. It just means they couldn't be criminally convicted of perjury or staging a crash. The conviction of their coach for "on charges of possession and storage of illegal substances" was upheld and the facts are that Kenteris and Thanou did miss three drug tests in 2004 - only one of which was for the alleged car crash.
Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k Road Race - US 20k Champs *Webcast Replay/Video Interviews
He's Back? Abdi Abdirahman Takes Lead At 3 Miles, Never Looks Back And Easily Wins The times were slow, as Abdi (60:12) kept looking over his shoulder wondering where the competition was. In the past, sub-61:00 hasn't even placed in the top 10, but today only three broke 61:00. In the women's race, newly-minted US citizen Janet Cherobon-Bawcom,
of Kenya, won in 68:31.
*Running USA Recap With Top 10 Result *LRC MB US 20k Champs *LRC MB: Abdi is Back!!!
*Pre-Race Article On New Haven
Daegu 2011 ... It's Over, Folks
*Photos: Bolt *Centro
Final Eve: Bolt, Jamaica Set 4 X 100 WR SI.com Usain Bolt saw the 37.04, crossed the line, threw the baton 100 feet in the air, danced for 30 minutes on the track, and of course unlike any HS or college kid who might do that, was celebrated rather than DQed. *Best Video Of What Happened To US Team
*US Youngsters Carry Team - Christian Taylor's 17.96 TJ Stuns Field Taylor and Will Claye took gold and bronze in the TJ to overshadow men's 4 x 100 fall. Taylor's 17.96m jump is the 2nd-longest triple jump in World Champs history.
*LRC Video: Lananna Quick Take On USA Team Performance Simply put, the US crushed the rest of the world medal-wise, winning some surprise medals from Simpson, Centro and the TJers but also missing some opportunities in men's shot, men's 400H, men's 4 x 1.
Other Sunday Results/Post-Worlds Thoughts
*Philip Hersh: The US Cleans Up In The Medal Counts At Worlds; Allyson Felix Walks Away With 4 Medals After Helping The Women's 4 X 1 Win Gold Allyson Felix is only the 4th athlete ever to win 4 medals at the World Championships.
*Russian Tatyana Lysenko Upset WR Holder Betty Heidler To Win Women's Hammer But she's a former drug cheat who was involved in Russia's largest doping scandal.
*At The Beginning Of Last Month, Ciaran O'Lionard Hadn't Run Under 3:40, Now He's Finished 10th In The World Article talks about how he'll now be getting funding from Ireland Sports Council and how he had to spend 2 hours in anti-doping because he "couldn't produce a sample" due to dehydration.
*Despite Success, UK Coach Charles van Commenee Still Very Critical Of His Team He describes the performance of the men's 4 x 400m in their final as "appalling, unforgivable."
*IAAF To Stick With False Start Rule Despite Bolt's DQ
*Of False Start In 100m, Bolt Says, "It was all my fault. People are saying that Yohan twitched, but that is not the case."
*IAAF Says Doha Can Bid For Late September 2017 Worlds
Worlds Friday - More Gold For Kenyan Women, USA *Results *Special Worlds-Only LRC Forum More Centro Photos
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Gets Bronze As Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat
Go 1-2 Only 21, Centrowitz ran like a seasoned pro and got the first American-born track medal since 1987. Another 10 meters and his medal might have been a different color. Asbel Kiprop got Kenya its first World Championships 1,500m gold and Silas Kiplagat backed him up with silver. Ladies (and gentleman for the first time), we also tell you how to get onto Centro Nation. Recap and extensive post-race reaction.
*Matt Centrowitz Says Jenny Simpson's 1,500 Win "Set The Tone" And Made Him Believe He Could Medal
More Distance: Lauren Fleshman Gives An Inside Look Minute-By-Minute Of Her WCs Experience "I didn't know who won, who got medals, who I pipped at the line, what time I ran, or what place I finished. Complete immersion into maximum effort drowned out all my senses ... all I could think about was this: June 24th: 8th in the USA September 2nd: 7th in the world. Just goes to show, you never know what awaits you. Believe in turnarounds. Believe in yourself."
*Based On Pre-Race Workout, Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah Is In Perfect Shape To Win 5k Gold
LRC Vivian Cheruiyot Completes 10k/5k Double American Lauren Fleshman finished a solid 7th in a race that saw Vivian Cheruiyot run away with her 2nd gold of the champs, closing in 58.6 to lead Kenya to their 8th and 9th medals of the championships.
*LRC: Women's 5,000m Analysis And Reaction
*More Cheruiyot Photos
Rec Read: How Cheruiyot Got The Double The Daily Nation Cheruiyot's manager Ricky Simms before the race: "If it is a slow race, Vivian will win. If it is a fast race, Vivian will win."
LRC: Women's 800m Semifinals: Caster Semenya Is Back, Maggie Vessey And Alysia Montano Make The Final Caster Semenya looked like Semenya of '09 and if that is the case, there is nothing else the other women in the field can do. For the first time since 1988, two Americans are in the final. Can the US get its first medal since the late Kim Gallagher's bronze in '88?
*Vessey At Another Level In 800 Semis Steve Ritchie
*Jenny Meadows Misses 800m Final
*MB: Caster Semenya strikes again
World's Thursday Action *Results *Special Worlds-Only LRC Forum *Thursday AM Post-Race Interviews
Day 6 Is In The Books *Athletics Weekly Recap *IAAF Day 6 Recap
LRC Ezekiel Kemboi Gets Gold And Does The Mini Bolt Ezekiel Kemboi absolutely crushed the field the final 200m to arguably become the greatest championship steepler ever. He was so majestic the final 200 that he had time to celebrate in lane 7 before the silver medal was determined.
*Kemboi Explains To Kenyan Media Why His Celebration Was Extra Long "My friend Usain Bolt remember was not in the finals and he would have danced well. I had to do (it) for Usain Bolt and me."
*Kemboi Left Stadium "In Stitches And Awe In Equal Measure"
*Kenyan Media Happy With "Stylish" 1-2 Finish In Steeple - Proclaims Cheruiyot Winner Of Women's 5,000 Before Race Is Even Run
*Eldoret Erupts In Joy For Most Popular Runner In Town - Kemboi
On The Boards: Ezekiel Kemboi Appreciation Thread - That was the greatest final 200 (and celebration by a distance runner) ever
More Worlds News
- NY Times: In Span Of 30 Minutes, US Wins 3 Golds Jesse Williams got the US's first high jump gold since 1991.
- Dai Greene Wins Britain's 1st Gold In 400H *Brit Who Won 400H Gold In 1968 Is Pumped To See Greene Win But Points Out That He Ran Faster 43 Years Ago
- Kenyan Gold Medal Team From 1972 Is Pumped For This Year's 4 X 400
- Bolt Changes Yohan Blake's Nickname From "Jr" To "Big Man" As Blake Dismisses Twitch Theory
- Marita Koch Gives Rare Interview 26 Years After She Set 400 World Record
- Oscar P And South Africans Set National Record & Qualify For Final
- Oscar P Gets Rewarded By Being Left Off 4 X 400 Final Team For 400H Bronze Medallist
- Asafa Powell Out Of Relay As Well
- Two Athletes From Africa Allegedly Molest Volunteers In Athletes Village The sickest part is they told them they wanted to greet the women in the customary way of their homeland.
- Recommended, But Painful To Watch: Watch Michael Johnson's Sidekick On British TV Butcher Lines Before Getting Fired Catch it while you can. Channel 4 had it taken off of YouTube.
LRC: Men's 5,000 Round 1 Bernard Lagat, Galen Rupp And The Expected Favorites Advance, Plus Alistair Cragg And Jake Robertson A good day for all the favorites, as they advanced - including Bernard Lagat and Galen Rupp. Plus, LRC cult hero Jake Robertson got knocked down and out of the final and made no excuses before the Kiwis petitioned and got him into the final.
*Post-Race Reaction From Lagat, Rupp, Bumbalough, Cragg And Robertson
On The Boards: Men's 5,000 Official Thread
*Jake Robertson Put Into 5,000m Final
LRC: Women's 800m Underway: Favorites And Americans Alysia Montano, Maggie Vessey And Alice Schmidt Advance Good day for the American women. Recap, reaction and results.
Non-LRC Coverage: Vessey Breezes Through First Round Of 800 At World Chanmpionships
Go Find A McDonald's: Jamaicans Complain About Food In Athletes' Village Jermaine Gonzalez ripped the food after getting fourth in the 400.
Say It Ain't So - Worlds Are Halfway Over
- RR: Tim Layden Of SI On Jason Richardson, John Smith And Carmelita Jeter Good read and some good quotes. Smith: "I've been at the track coaching athletes with the FBI watching me."
- NY Times: At "Routinely Spectacular" WChamps, So Far Botswana, Brazil And Grenada Have Won Gold But Bolt Hasn't *LRC MB: So far, this is one ****ed up WC
- Wheating: "It felt like a big golf ball was shoved up into my hamstring."
- RR: 2000 Olympic 5k Champ Million Wolde Is Impressed By Jeilan's Victory But Says That Bekele Came Back As A Champion After World XC Dropout And Can Do So Again He also admits he wasn't sure Farah was beatable.
- After His Injury, Liu Xiang Just Wants To Have Fun
- Celebrations Erupt At Home For Rudisha
- Unbelievably Good News - Every Event At Olympics Will Be Streamed Live By NBC
Kirani James Hysteria In Grenada
- Her Majesty's Party Praises King James
- Prime Minister's Audio Address To The Nation
- Limited state of Emergency Declared Ok this already existed but it's interesting.
- We Don't Agree: IAAF Compares Kirani James To Usain Bolt Personality-wise? It's not even close, but we love the true King James that actually produces in the clutch.
2011 Worlds (Race Highlights Embedded On Right)
Day 4 Is In The Books *Athletics Weekly Recap *IAAF Day 4 Recap
LRC: Day 4: Teenage King James Nips Merritt In 400m, Zaripova Takes Steeple Going Away, Uceny And Simpson Make 1,500m Final We recap all of
Tuesday's pm action outside of the men's 800m final in this piece. We break down the 400m final, the women's steeple final (and where Jenny Simpson would have finished), look at the 1,500m semis and much more.
Tuesday's AM Action: LRC: Men's 1,500: Wheating Out, Most All Favorites Through In Men's 1,500 First Round Andrew Wheating's difficult 2011 campaign likely came to an end with a first round exit in the 1,500 heats. The heats saw wire-to-wire running from a resurgant Dan Komen, a fall for Mehdi Baala, and Centro Jr looking good and Leo Manzano struggling but advancing on time.
Women's 5,000: Women's 5,000m Semis: Molly Huddle Goes Home, Meseret Defar And Linet Masai Both Run 2/3 of the fields advanced and the American record holder Huddle did not advance, which was not a surprise considering her injury.
LRC: *Day 4 Daegu Distance Previews: Men's 800 Final, 1,500 1st Round Highlight Busy Day
*NY Times Looks At Yohan Blake's Twitch
*Bolt: No Problem With One-Strike-And-Out Rule
What Friend Of LRC Steve Ritchie Is Writing: Ashton Eaton Gains A Measure Of Mental Toughness Through Difficult Competition At Worlds
LRC: Day 4 Daegu Distance Previews: Men's 800 Final - Nick Symmonds Goes For A Medal, 1,500 1st Round Highlight Busy Day Great distance action, including the women's steeple final, men's 1,500m round 1 and women's 5,000m round 1 and of course the anticipated 800m final with Symmonds, Rudisha and Kaki.
More Monday: *Monday Recap From Athletics Weekly: Robles DQ, Montsho Gold, Carmelita Jeter And More
*Eurosport And Ato Boldon See The Yohan Blake Flinch
*Jessica Ennis Leads After Day 1 Of Heptathlon But Faces Some Pressure
*Koji Murofushi Wins Surprise Hammer Title
LRC: 2011 Worlds Steeplechase Prelims: Favorites Advance And Americans Struggle Ezekiel Kemboi blasted an 8:10 steeple to lead the qualifiers as the American men bombed. Plus some interesting comments from Dan Huling: "I'm embarrassed, disappointed, a little bit relieved."
LRC Usain Bolt False Starts ... Or Did He? Video Proof That Yohan Blake Flinches And Then Usain Bolt False Starts The video shows very clearly that Yohan Blake flinches and then Usain Bolt subconsciously reacted and bolted from the blocks. According to IAAF rules, at a minimum Blake should have been warned. Under no scenario should Bolt have been given the DQ.
*Telegraph Article Here Picking Up The LRC Cause On The Blake Flinch
LRC Bolt's DQ, Ashton Eaton's 1,500m And More
Usain Bolt DQed For FS, Yohan Blake Wins Title *Bolt: "Looking for tears? That's not going to happen."
*Dix (silver): "I couldn't believe it, it's kind of surreal. I didn't think they were going to kick him out. It's pretty hard to kick Usain out of the race."
*Bolt's Coach: "I think he would have run in the sixties (9.60s)."
False Start Rule - Fair Or Foul?
*AP Column: Bolt is human, his sport's rules are not
*Tim Layden: Heave The Rule As Well
*IAAF Stands Behind Rule ... Sort Of IAAF statement says rules must "be applied consistently and fairly for ALL athletes." But then they added, "in extraordinary cases, the IAAF Council has the right to make interim changes to Technical Rules, pending official approval by IAAF Congress."
*Rojo Says Don't Think About Changing Rule
*Don't Forget: Experienced Dwain Chambers Was DQed In Semis
LRC: Rojo Blogs From The Couch About Daegu: Post #2 - 6 Quick Thoughts About The Men's 10,000, Men's 100m And Men's 800/Thoughts On Human Nature's Attempt To Explain Everything Rojo laments that humans seemingly always try to have a nice and neat explanation for everything like Bolt's DQ or Farah's narrow loss and normally it ends up being wrong. Along the way, he refuses to throw Bekele under the bus and hopes for his resurrection but seemignly has no problems with running all over Matt Tegenkamp. Heartless. Plus big praise for Maurice Greene, Nick Symmonds and even Khadevis Robinson.
M 100m: IAAF: Yohan Blake Always Wanted To Be A Cricketer, Now He's Fastest Man On Planet
M 400m - Heats: Merritt Blasts 44.35 World Leader
W LJ: American Brittney Reese Wins - Walking In The Footsteps Of Idol Joyner-Kersee
Uceny Talking Big: "I am definitely in a good position to win." We've gotta admit the article states her goal is any medal.
Only On LetsRun: Sarbi The Mascot Techno Street Dance Routine With Some Korean
Babes Women He's not a match for Berlino.
Non-World Championships News
Life After Death: Woman Claiming To Be Sammy Wanjiru's Wife Gives Birth
LRC $200,011 World Championships Prediction Contest Powered By PUMA *IAAF Event-By-Event Previews *TFN's WC Picks For Every Event
Our world-famous prediction contest is back and better than ever as it's up a week early. Pick the top 3 perfectly correctly in 35 events and win $200,011. Win the contest without being perfect and win 4 pairs of PUMA Faas 550s plus a $150 gift certificate. Don't know anything about the meet? Never fear - we've got a table for you that makes picking so easy that an 8th grade soccer player won one time. Now we know some of you think that our "perfect ballot" prize is a gimmick, but we really want to give away a ton of cash, so we've added in a $10,000 prize if you can just pick the 800 through 10,000 correctly for a single sex. *Enter Here
LRC Week That Was As we get ready for Worlds, we wonder if Kara Goucher's injury was preventable, wonder why anyone would talk trash about Kenenisa Bekele and mourn the passing of a rare US-born Boston marathon champ. Along the way, we give you quotes from Blanka Vlasic and Emil Zatopek before addressing Chris Solinsky doping allegations.
- Science Of Sport: The second research study - what it really found about Oscar Pistorius
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack Claims He's Been Cleared Of Bribery Allegations
- IAAF Gets New General Secretary
- Pan Am Games Open Oct. 14th And As Of Now $28 Million Track Is Just A Muddy Mess
Want To Know The Truth About Oscar P? Read This:
Recommended Read: The Scientific Interpretation Of The Oscar Pistorius Research
More On "Johnny The Younger"
*Amby Burfoot's MB Thread
Recommended Read: Boston Globe: John J. Kelley, 80; Marathon champ carried hopes of the nation Kelley lived in a day and age when foreigners were dominating the Boston marathon, but he always showed up and gave it his best (he finished 2nd 5 times) and one magical day he emerged as the winner. He should
be an inspiration to all modern day US marathoner hopes like Ryan Hall, as foreigners won Boston 11 years in a row before his win in 1957 and 10 years in a row after it.
New England Runner: Tribute To The Renaissance Man Kelley
The New London Day (Local Paper): John Kelley, running legend, dies at 80
NY Times: John J. Kelley, Marathon Champion, Dies At 80
Kenyan Benson Barus Wins Virginia Beach Half Marathon In 1:02:22, Ryan Hall 4th In 1:03:02 Hall said, "I think I could run a marathon at that pace but when I'd go to the front and try to go a faster it would feel very uncomfortable. That's a good sign actually."
Usain Bolt And Jamaica Get World Record (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Press Conf. Here)
Mo Farah Outlasts Lagat (Post-Race Reaction Here)
Bolt Is Back And He Hams It Up With Lemaitre Post-Race (More Here)
Simpson Gets Gold (International Visitors Click Here)
Ezekiel Kemboi Wins And Has The Greatest Celebration Ever (International Visitors Click Here)
Simpson After Her Gold (For More On Jenny's Post-Race Reaction, Click Here For Her Highlights From The Post-Race Press Conference)
Men's 800 Final (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
Montsho Over Felix (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Men's 100m Final
Women's 10,000 Highlights (US Visitors Only, International Visitors Click Here)
Women's Marathon Highlights & False Start (US Visitors Only)icrosoft Silverlight" style="border-style:none" />
World University Games *Schedule/Results *Photos
- IAAF Recap Of Incredibly Successful World University Games - More Than 30,000 People Showed Up Every Night To Watch In terms of the action, the big story was the return of Olympic and world champion Nelson Evora in the triple jump. He got the gold in his first competition in 2 years since having screws inserted into his tibia.
- Cas Loxsom Leads At 600, Nipped By NCAA Champ Samoei To Miss Bronze By 0.01 Ryan Martin also made the final and finished off the pack.
- Jamaicans Sweep 100m Titles In 11.05 And 10.14
- Oregon's NCAA Champ Anne Kesselring Gets 7th As Two Russians Break 2:00
- Vid: Japan's Suguru Osako Wins Men's 10k In 28:42.83 Russia's Sergey Rybin went out in 13:53 and got a huge lead but totally fell apart and ended up getting passed on the last lap before he staggered off the track with 200 left.
- Turkey's Fadime Suna Wins In Her Debut 10K
LRC Contest Recap - The Greatness Of You
A Must-Watch (We're Not Sure How We Missed This) - Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Theatens Others With A Machete 2 Weeks Ago (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top