Ju$tice Is Achieved
We Wonder How Much It Cost
Sammy Wanjiru's Attempted Murder Charge Is Dropped He may still have to face charges for having an illegal firearm, but the Olympic marathon champ's wife and watchmen have dropped their accusations. In case you missed it, Wanjiru and his wife reconciled very publicly on Valentine's Day as shown by this video newscast. *Article From Kenyan Paper On Charges Being Dropped
Having Marital Difficulties? Read This: Olympic champ discovers love is truly a marathon
News From Oregon
- Recommended Read: Once Neighbors Who Met At An Ice Cream Shop, Russell Brown And Andrew Wheating Now Are World-Class Training Partners The only difference is now Wheating is the more studly of the two, as when they met, Brown hammered Wheating into the ground. *More On Brown-Wheating
- You Can Have Your Cake & Eat It Too
Sally Kipyego Is Applying For US Citizenship But Really Pumped To Be Training In Oregon To Represent Kenya At 2011 Worlds And 2012 Olympics In our minds, she should have to make up her mind.
More News From Kenya/Africa
- Jr. Women's XC Runner Janet Kisia In Kenya Is Latest Star To Be Coached By Famed Colm O'Connell The weird thing is this article says she's 19. If she's 19, how is she in the junior ranks?
- Kenyan XC Team Now Focused On Winning Wolrd XC In Spain
- Former World Bronze 5k Medallist Priscah Jepleting Cherono's Return From Maternity Leave Gives Boost To Kenya's Chances
- After Two Silvers At World XC, Linet Masai Wants Gold This Year
- Stephen Mokoka And Lebogang Phalula Will Lead South African XC Teams Going Into Spain
A Brief Chat With 3:57 Miler Erik van Ingen LetsRun.com headquarters are less than a mile where van Ingen often trains in the winter, so we have always been big fans of his. Now knowing he was inspired by Chris Lear's Sub-4, we are even bigger fans.
Random But Interesting
- Iowa High Jumper Arrested In Champagne-Bottle Attack
- NRR: Fair Or Foul?
Youth Speed Skating Coach Still Thrives After Corporal Punishment Allegations Surface An Olympic Gold Medallist from South Korea allegedly used hockey sticks, skate-blade guards, hammers, hand timers and other implements to strike skaters on the buttocks, stomach and hands.
New Zealand Meet Is Cancelled
- Christchurch, New Zealand Hit By Magnitude 6.3 Earthquake Due to damages from the earthquake, the track meet where Galen Rupp was supposed to run the 10k and Alan Webb was entered in the 800 has been cancelled. Rupp is already back in the US (or at least on his way depending on when you read this) and entered in the 3k at the US Champs. *First-Hand Account Of The Quake
- Nick Willis To Compete In Charity Race To Benefit Quake Victims Nick Willis was scheduled to receive his Olympic silver medal from Beijing before the meet (explanation here),
but now will receive it at a track meet fundraiser in Wellington which he has planned to raise money for the people of Christchurch.
*MB: Big Earthquake Hits New Zealand
Tuesday's Action *Results
Stockholm: World Junior Records Galore Abubaker Kaki (2:17) went out too fast in his world record attempt (25.5) but still won in the 1k (2:17.55) as Meseret Defar (8:36.91) triumphed in the 3,000m, as American Shalane Flanagan 8:39.18 (#3 time for an American) came up short in her AR attempt. In the 1500, Abeba Arigawi crushed the reigning world indoor champ with a 4:01.47 and moved up
to #10 all-time and announce herself as a potential future star as Morgan Uceny ran 4:05.35 (#4 all time US). The junior records all belonged to Angelica Bengtsson in the pole vault (4.63).
Stockholm Preview: Kaki Racing Augustine Choge And Deresse Mekonnen In World Record Attempt At 1,000m, Meseret Defar Going For 3k WR Should be a good one.
- Kenyan XC Team Now Focused On Winning World Title In Spain
- Isaiah Kiplagat Koech Aiming For Gold ... And He Says He Prefers "Koech" And FYI, he says he prefers to be called "Koech" over Kiplagat.
- Linet Masai Looking For Some Redemption After Finishing 2nd In Last Two World XC Races She says the weakness she has tried to correct is her kick. She said: "I’m still disappointed about what happened in Amman and Poland. On both occasions, I was sure I was winning only to lose in the last few metres."
- Stephen Mokoka And Lebogang Phalula Will Lead South African XC Teams
- Athletics Kenya General Secretary Says It Is Not Possible For Geoffrey Mutai To Train On His Own For World XC Mutai is the hottest runner on the planet, with 3 dominating XC wins in Kenya, plus 2 marathons last year averaging 2:05:03. Mutai has said he will only run World XC if he can continue to train in his camp where he is self coached (yesterday, we said Renato Canova was Mutai's coach, but Canova corrects us here).
US Stars In The News
- Alberto Salazar: "I have told Alan (Webb), 'You're no different than any of my other runners.' We don't worry about losing some races. The goal is to compete well and win the big races."
- Ritz Says He's Had A Cold Nonstop Since Thanksgiving Because Of His Kids
- German Fernandez Discusses His 7:53 Opener
The Toughest XC Race In The World
Geoffrey Mutai Dominates Kenyan XC, Linet Masai Outkicks Vivian Cheruiyot, Defending Champs Ebuya And Chebet Out Of Worlds If you're looking for the best runner on the planet right now, look no further than Geoffrey Mutai, as he is on an incredible roll and he kept it going Saturday in Kenya. Mutai, who averaged 2:05:03 in his 2 marathons last year (neither of which he won), has now won 3
XC races in a row in Kenya by dominating margins, as he won by
44 seconds on Saturday if the
results are correct. On the women's side, world 10k champ Linet Masai outkicked world 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot. The Kenyan XC champs were full of drama, as defending world champs Joseph Ebuya (dropped out) and Emily Chebet (injured ankle in race) did not make the Kenyan teams for Worlds. Not surprisingly, in the junior race, recent world junior record setter Isiah Koech (12:53 for 5k and 7:37 3k) ran to a comfortable 4-second win. He said: "My aim is to take gold
in Spain before going for the World Championships." *Koech XC Thread
*Ebuya: "It was too fast for me and I have problems with my stomach. I'm sad I will not be able to defend my title in Spain."
*Video Recap From Kenya
On The Boards: Renato Canova On Mutai: "At the moment, there is an athlete clearly stronger than any other in the World, and (it) is Geoffrey Mutai ... There is a reason for this: Geoffrey is preparing Marathon ... Preparing marathon in the modern way, it's possible to be very much competitive in a Cross, 4 weeks before. But preparing a cross with the Kenyan system, you can forget that is possible to run a marathon 4 weeks later.
*Geoffrey Mutai Is Confident Going Into World Cross
US Action *Big East Results *America East Results
Big East: Connecticut Men, Louisville Women Are Big East Champs *Notre Dame Men Finish 2nd This meet was ridiculously close on both sides, with the men's meet being decided by 4 points and the women's by 1.5! On the women's side,
Louisville was down going into the
last event, the 4 x 4, but took 3rd while the UConn women only managed 6th, giving Lousiville the win. For the men, UConn Coach Greg Roy said the "meet was a war."
*America East: Albany Men And Women Are Champs For 2nd Straight Year
*Navy Men Win Patriot League Championships *2nd Article
*Team USA Men And Women Win NACAC Cross-Country Championships *IAAF Recap
Random But Interesting
- Frank Shorter Says Doping Is A Problem Among "Weekend Warriors" As Well As The Pros Who wouldn't risk their health for a chance to win the 30-35 age group at their local 5k?
- Cyclists Are Tough Too Cyclist crashes with splinter through leg and still finishes race in 3rd. Check out the picture.
- The Only Tickets More Expensive Than London 2012 Are For The Super Bowl
- Study Finds That Stretching Before Running Doesn't Prevent Injury
We Make You Care Read About The S. African Mess For The First Time ... Sexting And Sex
- S. African Athletics Boss Leonard Chuene Had Affair With His Staffer, She Licked His Fingers In Public In Front Of Employees, And He Sexted Her With Explicit Texts We're not sure how we missed this, as this news is old and shows you how messed up S. African athletics was, as it didn't get him fired.
- Leonard Chuene Is Fired & Banned From Sport For Seven Years A criminal sentence is neccesary in our minds.
- Chuene Vows To Return To Court
- Chuene Lied & Stole He did more than that. "Mr. Chuene played a central and pivotal role in breaking every rule in the ASA book."
- Caster Semenya To Race On Saturday
News From Ireland (Someone Tell Us The 2nd Link Isn't The View Of Most Irish)
- Money For Alistair But Not Meb: Alistair Cragg To Make Marathon Debut In Boston The former Razorback is injury free and recently ran a 63:22 half.
- Eamonn Coghlan Irate Irish Athletics Is Insisting On "A" Standards For 2012 Olympics We agree they should send athletes with the "B" as it's not like it's very expensive to get to London.
- Irish Fans Looking For Fireworks In Racewalk At Irish Champs
RAK Half Marathon *Results *LRC MB Thread *Photo Gallery
LRC Mary Keitany Runs 1:05:50 WR At RAK Half Marathon To Pocket $75,000 Keitany
is an absolute stud and her run Friday in the UAE was the first sub-66 clocking on a totally legitimate course, although Paula
Radcliffe has run 65:40. On the men's side, former Boston champ Deriba Merga went out in a ridiculous 13:37, set a new 8km world best of 21:51 for the roads, and then held on for a 59:24 - good enough for a 20-second win. Patrick Makau,
one of the pre-race favorites, appears to be in marathon training mode as, after trying to stay with Merga early on, he only managed a 63:51.
On The Boards: OMG did Mary Keitany just run sub 1:06 half marathon WR?
*Official RAK Half Marathon Thread
Definitely Deserving A Mention
- Track Stat TV Man Walt Murphy Wins Stan Saplin Sports Media Award
- NY Times Takes A Look At What Causes Runner's High
- US Team For This Weekend's NACAC Cross-Country Championships Announced
- Athletes React To Top Sprinters Getting A Bye In Round 1 Of The Olympics
- Ato Boldon Says WTF On Olympic Sprint Bye
Week That Was
LRC Week In Review: The Performance Of The Week, Meb Left Out Of Boston, High Jumping, And What About The Fans? It was a tremendous week on and off the track from 17-year-old Isiah Koech's 12:53 5k to Bernard Lagat's American 2 mile record to Chris Solinsky's 3:54 mile to Kim Smith's 1:07:36 half marathon. We've got it all covered, even take a look a stud American high jumper, and ask everyone associated with the sport to think of you - its fans. Because no matter how good the action on the track, if no one is watching it, our sport will suffer.
- World's First Two-Legged Robot Marathon Race will involve 422 laps of a 100m course indoors and will run nonstop for up to 4 days ... with occasional battery charge breaks of course. *Video Preview Included
- Japan's Two-Time World Champs Medallist Reiko Tosa Out Of Tokyo Marathon With Injury *2nd Article
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
World Records And Olympic Medals?
- China Hires Agent Jos Hermens To Help Win Medals After helping Haile Gebrselassie and Kenenisa Bekele become rich Olympic champions, China is hoping he can do the same for them. Even though China led in gold medals at Beijing, they only had two bronze medals in Track and Field.
- Will The 3rd Time Be The Charm For Russian High Jumper Ivan Ukhov In His Quest For The World Record?
This Just In: Walking IS Easier Than Running
Former XC State Champ Erin Gray Is Surprised By The Easiness Of Race Walking Gray has only been race walking for about 16 months, but she already qualified to represent Team USA at the 2011 Pan American Cup and is close to the Olympic "B" Standard. She says "the race itself, felt surprisingly easy." We're less surprised.
Isaiah Koech Is For Real
Ghent: 17-Year-Old Isaiah Koech Sets Junior Record In 3K With 7:37.50 Just two days after smashing the junior indoor 5K record with a 12:53, Koech breaks the junior record in the 3k with a 7:37.50 as Ismael Kombich set new world leader is set in the 1,500 (3:34.13). *LRC MB: Isiah Koech does it again - How many youth & world junior records will he destroy?
Other Top Performances From Ghent:
New World Record In 2,000m Indoor Steeple By Paul Kipsiele Koech Koech ran 5:13.77 to break his own world record by 3 seconds.
*Some Other Highlights
Lagat And Verzbicas
Lagat Does It (8:10.07), Lukas V Comes Up Short Message board thread here. Bernard Lagat threw it down the final few laps to smash the US 2 mile record, while Lukas V went out too fast (4:15-16 range) and ended up getting lapped by Lagat. He ran 8:43.24, which is still good for #3 US all-time indoors. *See His Splits Here
*Update 8:13 AM: Nice IAAF Recap Of Koech's Run
LRC: Isaiah Koech Runs 12:53 Indoors As Galen Rupp Comes Up Short In American Record Attempt
Isaiah just turned 17 at the end of December and he put on a performance to remember as he pulled away from World Champ Eliud Kipchoge for the super-impressive win. 12:53 indoors is amazing. With no advance fanfare (the track writers in Oregon didn't even write about it), American Galen Rupp was in the race in his 2011 indoor opener and ran a solid 13:21 after being on 13:05 pace at 3k, according to this thread. In other action, Nixon Chepseba got the narrow win over Augustin Choge in a world-leading 3:34 in the 1,500m, and Liu Xiang was 3rd in his European return.
*Athletics Weekly: 17-Year-Old Runs 12:53 As Kim Collins Breaks 11-Year-Old PR (6.52)
*Details On Rupp's Race
*17-Year-Old Runs 12:53 Indoors!
*Some More Highlights From Dusseldorf
No Meb In Boston
RRW: John Hancock Releases Elite Field For 2011 And Meb Keflezighi Is Left Out And Controversy Simmers
*John Hancock And Boston Marathon Do Not Make An Offer To Meb To Run This Year's Race Races have limited funds, and Boston's are way more limited than New York or London's, but it shows the financial realities of our sport when the Boston Marathon does not even extend an offer to America's top marathoner the last decade to run its race. That is what Meb Keflizighi is saying happened on his website. Perhaps Boston did not want to insult Meb with a low offer. We reached out to the BAA and Boston on this matter and they chose not to comment on it.
*Full John Hancock Release Reigning champs Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot & Teyba Erkesso will defend their titles. Coming March 20th: NYC Half Marathon - Meb, Hall and Abdi!
17-Year-Old World Junior Silver Medallist And 8:23 Steepler Albert Yator Dies From Malaria Yator's death was a surprise and is a very tragic reminder that malaria is
just something we read about in the newspaper and should ignore.
On The Boards: RIP: Albert Yator 17, 8:23 steepler and World Jr Silver Medalist
Gonzaga University Runners Hit By Alleged Drunk Driver
Some Positive Distance News: Track & Field News Profile On Andy Bayer The 2011 breakout star will redshirt outdoors.
Russell Brown Cruises To 3:54 Win, Webb, Manzano And Verzbicas All Over 4 The men's mile featured Alan Webb, Leo Manzano, Nick Willis and high school star Lukas Verzbicas, but the star of the night was Russell Brown, who crushed the field winning in 3:54 as Webb, Manzano and Verzbicas all didn't break 4. Afterwards, Webb threw
a tantrum (seriously, that's a fair way of describing
it) before addressing the press, and we'll have more on that Sunday. In other action, Sally Kipyego turned back Jenny Simpson in the 3k, Phoebe Wright got another win in the 800m, but the performance of the night may have been Dejen Gebremeskel running 7:35 and outkicking Mo Farah with a last lap of 26 while having one shoe on for most of the race.
Post-Race: LRC Alan Webb Throws A Tantrum After Disappointing Opener Alan Webb's competitive fire is legendary and the dark side of that competitive fire was on full display after Webb's disappointing performance. We've seen many athletes get upset, but none like Webb on Saturday night, especially after an earlier season opener. We've got the details and try to give some perspective to Webb's behavior.
On The Boards: That Webb article is a breach of professional decorum.
Wejo explains here, here and here our thoughts for this story and why it was reported.
Eaton Breaks Record!
Ashton Eaton Shatters His Own World Record In Heptathlon! Eaton scored 6,568 points to break his own world record by an impressive 69 points, setting PRs in the shot, 60m, and 60m hurdles. His hurdles time of 7.60 seconds was so good it would have won the 2008 World Indoor Champs and actually breaks the hepathlon record of 7.74 held by Olympic decathlon
medalist Bryan Clay.
Fireworks In Stuttgart *Stuttgart Results
Yenew Alamirew Runs 7:27.80 To Lead 3 Under 7:30 Barrier
First Time Ever, David Oliver Runs Fast In Hurdles Alamirew dominated a late season 3k last year and backed it up here, showing he is the real deal. For the first time ever indoors, more than one guy broke 7:30 in a race, as Alamirew triumphed over Augustin Choge and Eliud Kipchoge. David Oliver easily dispatched
Dayron Robles and nearly got the US record, and LRC favorite Silas Kiplagat lost in the 1,500m.
Impressive: Belgian Dude Stefaan Engels Completes 365th Marathon In 365 Days Updated
- LRC Lukas Verzbicas Talks To LetsRun.com It takes a true phenom to get LetsRun.com excited about a high schooler, but we're now officially leading the bandwagon, as we caught up with America's greatest high school phenom (since the Hall-Webb-Ritz era) two days before he tries to join Webb in the sub-4-indoors-as-a-HS-runner club. A natural showman of sorts, Lukas talked about his goals for Saturday, his training, his decision to go Oregon, whether he contemplated going pro straight out of HS, and much more. A must read.
Millrose Behind The Scenes: Lagat Goes Down, Millrose Entertains Employee #1 and his able assistant went into the bowels of Millrose to tell you what really happened at the grand-daddy of track and field meets in the world. High schoolers flashing U of O symbols, overlooked 3:34 1,500m runners, and pros addicted to LetsRun.com - we've got it covered.
Unlucky 7: Deresse Mekonnen Snaps Bernard Lagat's Winning Streak At 6 The 23-year-old 2010 world indoor champ defeated the 36-year-old President of the Boards (or did Father Time win?) in a fantastic Wanamaker mile, but not without Lagat putting up a fantastic fight that saw him at least three times try to retake the lead in the final two laps.
*Samantha Nadel Wins High School Girls Millrose Mile In 4:50.58
*NY's Chad Noelle Wins Boys Millrose Mile In 4:16.71
*Register-Guard: World Pentathlon Record Holder Ashton Eaton PRs In Two Out Of Three Events To Beat Olympic Champion Bryan Clay And World Champion Trey Hardee Eaton set a new shot put PR at 46-8 and lowered his 60m hurdles time to 7.64.
*Jamaicans Lose Sprint Showdown With USA Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown and Nesta Carter won the sprints, but US sprinters claimed victory on points in the US-Jamaica challenge.
*IAAF Recap: Mekonnen Ends Lagat's Streak
*Millrose Games: Nadel, Noelle Win HS Miles!
*UVA Wins College 4 x 800 Without Robby Andrews
USA Indoors Are This Weekend *Entries
It's Official: Rupp Vs. Lagat At 3k To Be One Of The Highlights Of US Indoors This Weekend We commend the current and former indoor 5k record holders for showing up while many in-shape pros are skipping the meet, but we know how this race ends 10 times out of 10.
News From The Other Side Of The Pond
- Columnist Who Wants Radcliffe To Win Olympic Gold Reveals That Doctor Told Him Radcliffe Could Have Died Had She Kept Running In Athens
- 2012 UK Trials Almost Certainly Won't Be Held In Olympic Stadium Apparently, organizers think it's more important to focus on preparing for the opening ceremony.
- British Politician Backs Down From Threat To Charge Residents To Watch Usain Bolt And US Track Stars Train In Birmingham In 2012
- Mark Lewis-Francis' Groin Injury Will Keep Him Out For Months And UK Coach Calls It A Big Blow
- Something We Missed: Recap Of Last Weekend's Irish Champs
Historic Bay To Breakers Race Will Be Celebrating Its 100th Anniversary - Yet Some Thing Race Will Be Cancelled After This Year Supposedly the race is losing money. But doesn't everything California cost more than it brings in?
Week That Was
LRC Week In Review: Proof That The Kenyan Training Camps Do More Harm Than Good, An In-Depth Look At The 2012 Olympic Track & Field Schedule, Boston Changes Things Up, And Much, Much More This week, we have it all covered for you once again. We start by ripping the Kenyan training camp system, then tell you who is likely to attempt Olympic doubles in 2012 and who isn't, then we get sidetracked by sexting, Oprah Winfrey and Robby Andrews' family's exploits. We also praise some amateurs for promoting the sport and tell the elites running for Nike they need to do more.
- Olympic Bronze Medalist Shalane Flanagan Entering New Partnership With Management Agency This is good news for Kimbia and Shalane. The stars of the sport need to do a better job of connecting with their fans. Shalane went after the American record yesterday and virtually no one knew about it in advance.
- Alberto Salazar And The "Oregon Project" The 'old' name has been brought back and refers to the group of six athletes Salazar coaches: Adam Goucher, Kara Goucher, Dathan Ritzenhein, Galen Rupp, Alan Webb and Amy Yoder Begley (Mo Farah doesn't count).
- USATF: US Champs Preview, Bernard Lagat And David Oliver Headline Field
- Collegiate Track & Field Weekend Review: February 21, 2011
Good For Some Laughs
- Fitness Gym Manager Tries To Sell Hicham El Guerrouj Personal Training Sessions
- Track Stars And Floppy Necklaces: What's the Deal?
- Is This Beer The New Gatorade?
Caster Semenya Back At It
- Caster Semenya Plans To Run The 800/1,500 Double At The Olympics
*She also wants to do the 400/1,500 double this Friday.
- South African 800m Champ Mapaseka Makhanya Is Inspired By Caster Semenya
News Of Note
Boston Champ And RAK Half Winner Deriba Merga To Take On 2:04:57 Man Wilson Kipsang At Lake Biwa Marathon
After Two Silvers At World XC, Linet Masai Wants Gold This Year Four seconds separate her from 2 World XC titles.
More Weekend Action We Didn't Cover
- Ethiopian XC Champs: Meselech Melkamu Wins 3rd Title, Hunegnaw Mesfin Triumphs Over Imane Merga, 7:27 Guy Yenew Alamirew We don't think Alamirew made the team.
- NACAC XC: Robert Cheseret, US Men, Women Win NACAC XC
- Scotland XC: Scottish XC Champs Recap: Freya Murray Wins Her 3rd Straight Title
- France: Lemaitre Improves To 6.58 At French Champs
- Sweden's Angelica Bengtsson Vaults 4.52 Junior World Record
- Greece: Greek Luis Tsatoumas Jumps World-Leading 8.21 Long Jump At Greek Champs
More From Greece: Drug Cheats Kostas Kenteris And Katerina Thanou Don't Show Up At Their Greek Court Hearing
Big Marathon News
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Mid-Week Action On And Off The Track
Maryland's Andrew Valmon, Miami's Amy Deem Named 2012 US Olympic Track Coaches Valmon's appointment shows that a) "coaching" the Olympians and coaching the collegians are completely different things and b) that collegiate coaching success is often about resources. At the last 2 ACC outdoor meets, Valmon's teams have been 11th and 10th out of 12 teams, yet he'll be coaching
Team USA. In fairness, at Maryland, Valmon only has 7 scholarships to work with (schools can have 12.6), and with Team USA, he'll be stocked with talent. Meanwhile, Florida Gators and NCAA champion coach Mike Holloway will be Valmon's assistant.
Russian Indoor Champs: Olesya Syreva Runs World-Leading 8:41 3k At Russian Indoor Champs
Poland: 5,000 Fans Turn Out To Watch Ivan Ukhov Jump 2.36 In Poland *Results
US News: Site For Post-Collegiates, Lance Retires, And Eaton's Temper
- USATF: RunPro.com - Site Launched For Distance Runners Making Transition From College To Pro Running So about half of all LetsRun visitors' dreams. *RunPro.com
- Lance Armstrong Retires From Cycling ... again.
- Ashton Eaton's Temper: The Secret Behind His Big Shot Put PRs
- Bernard Lagat Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
- HS Triple Jumper Marquis Dendy Jumps 52-1.5, Which Is US #3 All-Time And Best Indoors In 13 Years
- Erik Van Ingen On His School Record Mile - 3:57.11
MB: Boston Marathon Announces New Sign-Up Process The fastest qualifiers will get to sign up first. This is bound to make some people really happy and others irate.
*USA Today Article Starting in 2013, age group standards will be made 5 minutes faster (3:05 for 18-34 males, for example). This is the first time they've gotten stricter since 1980.
Olympics/World Championships Schedule Changes *2012 T&F Schedule (PDF) *Qualifying Rules
- UK Hurdler Andy Turner Says Sprinter Byes Are "Nonsense"
- IAAF Explains Rationale Behind New Schedule For 2011 World Champs No evening session more than three hours and a desire to spread out the finals over all the nights is the impetus.
- Athletes React Differently To New Olympic Scheduling
- The 4 x 100m Will Be The Last Track Event In London 2012 Traditionally it is the 4 x 4, but they want Usain Bolt (who ran 3rd leg on the record-setting Jamaican relay in Beijing) to be the grand finale.
LAst Weekend's Action / US College Men's Distance Running Reaches An All Time High / Results *Tyson *Husky *Armory *BU Valentine
- Ken Goe: OTC Stars Chris Solinsky And Tim Nelson Get Mile (3:54.52) And 3k (7:49.95) Wins At UW
- Message Board Talk: Solinsky 3:54 Mile *Webb 6th In 3k In 7:51 Tim Nelson got the win.
*OTC Coach Jerry Schumacher Not Surprised By Solinsky And Nelson
Mile Mania Across The US
- Chris Solinsky Opens 2011 With A Remarkable 3:54 Bang!!!
- 4 Collegians (5 Overall) Break Four On Legal Track At BU! Erik van Ingen leads the way at 3:57.11, as 3 guys from the America East conference get the job done. *Race Video
- 5 Collegians (7 Overall) Also Do It At Washington Top collegian was BYU's Miles Batty, who ran 3:55.79.
- Tulsa Soph Runs 3:56 At Arkansas
More Hot Collegiate Action
- 10 Guys Hit Auto In 3k At UW Pro Tim Nelson got the win as Garrett Heath almost came from way back to win, with Sam Chalenga 5th, Alan Webb 6th and German Fernandez 10th.
- Stanford's Elliott Heath Unleashes Sick Kick - Runs 13:37
- Christin Wurth-Thomas yesterday slashed 11 seconds off 3000m best for the WORLD LEAD
- Elijah Greer 1:47.02
- 4 Women, Led By Jordan Hasay (4:34.75), Auto At UW
- Indiana DMR 9:30.78
- Patrick Casey Racks Up Another NCAA Auto Mark In The 800 He ran 1:47.67, winning by 7 seconds. Another impressive solo effort to go along with his sub-4.
- Rakieem Norris Runs 6.54 In The 60m For Second-Fastest Time In The World This Year
- Alex Kosinski Runs 15:44.60 To Break Nicole Blood's Oregon School Record
Where Does That Leave Us? 18 Guys Now Have 3k Auto And 13 Have Auto Time In Mile *On The Ladies' Side, The Number Of Autos Is Way, Way Less
Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was: Brent Vaughn And Russell Brown Surprise, Shalane Flanagan And Ashton Eaton Impress, Gebremeskel Wins With One Shoe, And Yenew Alamirew - The Next Great Star? There
was a ton of incredible action last week, from Russell Brown's surprise win in Boston to the XC champs to the heptathlon to a sub-4:00 mile at altitude, and we've got it covered. We compare Brent Vaughn to Dathan Ritzenhein, wonder when Ashton Eaton will beat Bryan Clay and Trey Hardee, and ponder whether Yenew Alamirew is the next great star of the sport.
*Video Of Alamirew's 2 Impressive 3k Wins
US XC Champs In San Diego *Results
Brent Vaughn Wins Convincingly, Shalane Flanagan And The Other Winners Dominate Vaughn, the CU record holder at 5k (think about that for a second) dominated the field the 2nd half of the race to win by 6 seconds, the smallest margin of victory of the day. Shalane Flanagan
totally destroyed Molly Huddle, winning by 44 seconds, and getting a little revenge for Huddle taking her 5k American record last year. Foot Locker champ Aisling Cuffe won the junior girls race convincingly. 49-year-old Master Pete Magill won in the men's masters ranks, while Colleen De Reuck showed she was in the wrong race, winning by 1:34.
*Denver Post: Brent Vaughn Makes Surprising Comeback After DNFing At US Half Marathon Champs Last Weekend Vaughn was excited to "finally" get in a satisfying race and said, "I felt like I was getting the monkey off my back. It just feels good to finally get one."
*San Diego Union-Tribune: Flanagan Dominated But Says She Didn't Know She Had It In The Bag: "I always run scared."
On The Boards: Men: BRENT MF VAUGHN
Women: Shalane Flanagan Takes USA Cross-Country Title By 45 Seconds In 25:47
Masters: 50-Year-Old Pete Magill CRUSHES
Good Read: Jerry Schumacher Profile In Portland Paper Got to be a quote of the day in here somewhere."
US Half Champs In Houston *Results, Prize Money, Splits *Updated Photos *Live Thread
Men: LRC Mo Trafeh Outkicks Ryan Hall Ryan Hall, Mo Trafeh and Patrick Smyth battled together on the streets
Houston for 11 miles. In the twelfth mile, Hall tried to push ahead. Smyth was the first to crack, but Trafeh stayed on Hall's
heels. With 200m to go, Trafeh gave it one final surge and passed Hall to get the win.
*Video Of Men's Finish *Men's Post-Race Interviews
Women: LRC Jen Rhines' Return Trumps Burla's After a 4-year absence, Jen Rhines made a return to the longer distances with a win and a PR. However, her comeback was the least impressive of the day, as that award definitely goes to Serena Burla. Burla was second just as she was last year. However, in the last year, she had been diagnosed and beaten cancer. Pretty amazing. Mother of three, Nan Kennard, who trains with Colleen De Reuck, was a surprise third.
*Video Of Women's Finish *Women's Post-Race Press Conference
Week In Review: *More Dubai Photos Here
LRC Week That Was: Delaware Gets The Ax, Wanjiru Crashes, Dubai Makes Some Marathoners Rich, And The US Indoor Season Gets Going As usual, we recap the week in running like nobody else. Now that the holidays are behind us, the running world is starting to heat up again.
Caster Semenya Sits Down & Gives The BBC Her 1st Extended Interview Since Gender Controversy Arose Semenya said she doesn't want to dwell on the gender issues; she only wants to focus on running, but she did get irritated when asked if she was given hormonal treatment.
Alberto On Galen
LRC: Update On Galen Rupp's Training: Two Distinct Seasons For Rupp In 2011, More Mileage Alberto Salazar has done a tremendous job crafting Galen Rupp's career despite the critics (we specifically remember pro athletes who saw Galen train as a high schooler saying he'd burn out). Alberto says 2011 will be a bit different for Galen than 2009 and 2010, with 2 distinct peaks (and time off in between) and that there is still a lot of room for improvement in terms of training mileage. Plus, we take a look back at Galen's incredibly long and consistent 2009 and 2010 seasons.
It's Not This Easy In America
Olympic Marathon Champ And Accused Attempted Murderer Sammy Wanjiru And His Wife Supposedly Reconcile Press reports are indicating that the families of Wanjiru and his wife got involved and urged a reconciliation which may result in charges being dropped, although his wife was a bit coy in her responses to the press (as we're
sure $$$ is still being negotiated). *Updated
LRC MBoard Talk: "He is now officially qualified to be a professional American athlete. Can some of the women on this board tell me why abused women stay with their abuser. Often, until they are beaten to death?"
*Sammy Wanjiru Arrested For Attempting To Kill His Wife And A Domestic Worker
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's And Mo Farah's 5,000m Dual In Britain
Kenyan XC Recap
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Nick Willis 3rd In New Zealand 800 On Saturday
Sammy Wanjiru News Gets A Bit Ridiculous
Sammy Wanjiru Court Case Postponed As He Doesn't Show Up And His Lawyer Tells Court He Is Unwell From Car Accident After you read the story below, you'll see how it looks like Wanjiru's team appears to be stalling for time and hoping this case goes away. In case you don't know, Wanjiru, the world's best marathoner, was charged with threatening to kill his wife.
Oops: Video Of Sammy Wanjiru On Kenyan National TV Reconciling With His Wife And Spending Valentine's Day With Her (See Below)
On The Boards: Wanjiru is in love again thanks to St Valentine
Last 1,000m Of Isiah Koech's Stunning 12:53
Good News ... USATF Wants Your Opinion
Alamirew The Next Great Star? His 3k Win In Stuttgart. More On Him Here
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Just Rewind It) Of Russell Brown's 3:54 Win In Boston
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
- Any tips on how I could keep myself from running easy runs fast?
- Rebuild base or skip it now?
- Are longer runs always better?
- I want to qualify for boston!
- Cant sleep through the night anymore
- Gary Cohen Interviews 1973 and 1975 NYC Marathon Champ Tom Fleming
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Excercise Science Misconception About Running
- Anyone have trouble running straight on treadmill?
- Can I substitute a long run in Marathon Training with a half race?
- Are longer runs always better?
- Workouts to suggest 1:55/1:56 in the 800?
Alberto On Rupp And Ritz's Training
Recommended On The Boards: The Legend Of Steve Jones Grows
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top